Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

It's been a little over 2 1/2 years since the Switch release...and STILL no Mario Kart 9 Not even so much as an announcement or anything :(

Oct 14 at 7:47:10 AM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Quaze

Well I for one am hoping for a new Mario Kart on the Switch. Just gold ol' Mario Kart 9. Or if not that, then create some new courses/circuits for MK8 and sell it as DLC. Just gimme somethin' new, and not this phone crap!

I'm kind of surprised they never did DLC for the switch version. Would have been easy for them to sell a couple Grand Prix for $10.

I could go for more Super Mario Party boards too.

Oct 14 at 9:25:34 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I'm all for optimism, and though I think Nintendo does want to make good and enjoyable games as a mission, at the end of the day the business side is going to look at this and while MK8+ is still profitable, they aren't going to make a new MK for the console. Looking back, multiple games in a specific series on a home console are kind of rare. Sure you can find some. There was Windwaker and Twightlight Princess, and on the NES there were certainly multiples in the Mario platforming and Zelda series and, of course, Metroid Prime had multiple games on the GC but, in general, most of these franchises get about one game per console.

MK is a great series in the Nintendo line up, but it's also a type of game that consistently sells across the lifetime of their consoles. The Switch may need to have an expected lifespan of another 4-5 years before they consider making another MK for the Switch, because they will likely expect it to sell reasonably well for another 2-3 years. If they release a game that provides consistent revenue at the end of the life of a console, what's the point. Just wait, or do a dual release (again, I reference Twilight princess) toward the end of the life of the system.

I also see this being true with Smash Bros, Metroid and possibly even "Mario Odyssey 2" (or whatever they name it's next, traditional successor.)

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 14 at 10:50:52 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Not until I 3-star 200cc. Shit is hard.

Oct 14 at 11:27:40 AM
Gaia Gensouki (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
I am wondering what Nintendo could even include in a new MK game to make it feel fresh and a worthy purchase? Isn't it similar to Smash Bros. Ultimate an extremely good and polished iteration of this franchise? Therefore I do not really see the point in releasing a new game so soon.

I would actually prefer Nintendo to revive an older franchise, e.g. F-Zero, Wave Race (both racing series feel distinctly different from MK), Pilot Wings, Kid Icarus, Eternal Darkness and so on. Or maybe come up with new games and IPs. Splatoon is really successful and a good addition to Nintendo's line-up.

Oct 14 at 11:45:18 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Agreed. MK needs some sort of rejuvenation. Do planes, or a large open world single player campaign, or 16 player, or ANYTHING

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Oct 14 at 11:51:09 AM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Agreed. MK needs some sort of rejuvenation. Do planes, or a large open world single player campaign, or 16 player, or ANYTHING

I can't argue there. It feels iterative and I can't think of much that would improve it without being a big shakeup.

I feel the same about Smash. Ultimate might be the best on yet but I'm just burnt on the formula. I put far less time I to that one than Wii U.

Edited: 10/14/2019 at 11:51 AM by zeppelin03

Oct 14 at 11:53:01 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Gaia Gensouki

I am wondering what Nintendo could even include in a new MK game to make it feel fresh and a worthy purchase? Isn't it similar to Smash Bros. Ultimate an extremely good and polished iteration of this franchise? Therefore I do not really see the point in releasing a new game so soon.

I would actually prefer Nintendo to revive an older franchise, e.g. F-Zero, Wave Race (both racing series feel distinctly different from MK), Pilot Wings, Kid Icarus, Eternal Darkness and so on. Or maybe come up with new games and IPs. Splatoon is really successful and a good addition to Nintendo's line-up.
A new generation needs to be woke about how awesome this series was.  I fresh, new game in the series would be amazing. I never played Pilot Wings much, but it always seemed to have the same general vibe.  That would be a good one too, but didn't they have one for the Wii or 3DS?

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 14 at 11:25:59 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I'm not really sure why no Mario Kart 9 is a problem. I'm personally glad they aren't cranking out a new one every other year. The series has enough excellent games in its lineup already, and 8 Deluxe is still great. Let it simmer for a bit before making another.

As it's been said by others, I'd prefer Nintendo to focus on properties that haven't gotten as much love lately. A new F-Zero could be nice, as with Wave Race.

| gameplay and talk |

Edited: 10/14/2019 at 11:26 PM by Austin

Oct 15 at 6:18:51 AM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Austin

I'm not really sure why no Mario Kart 9 is a problem. I'm personally glad they aren't cranking out a new one every other year. 
No they are not!  They have released only ONE per console or handheld.  I'm just saying the Switch should be no different.  The same goes for 2D Marios...when New SMB DS came out I was thrilled to death to finally see a new 2D Mario game for the first time in over ten years (1995's SMW2 Yoshi's Island) and it too has had one per console/handheld since.  That too should continue on Switch.

I have nothing at all against ports/remakes (on the contrary considering the success of Super Mario All-Stars I was surprised even at the time they didn't think to also port over the two NES Zeldas like that) but they are not an acceptable replacement/substitue for a true new installment in the series.  I have nothing at all against the Switch ports of Mario Kart 8 or New SMB-U...as long as they're not used as an excuse to not give us a true new game for the Switch in those series like they've down for all the other consoles/handhelds before it (well since the series started I mean).

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Edited: 10/15/2019 at 06:25 AM by Estil

Oct 15 at 7:06:40 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I wish they'd port the Arcade GP games, but I understand the Capcom exclusivity and IPs making it difficult to port.

It's funny to think we should be heading towards a "9th" Mario Kart since if you include the GP DX and VR arcade ones, plus the Switch Deluxe version of MK8 and the mobile MKT game, there's 14 Mario Karts out there. lol

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Oct 15 at 7:54:15 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
To me, every Mario Kart starting with the Wii is the same game. So I'm in the camp of "rather see the 2nd or 3rd game in some other series than the 9th MK." I bought MK for Switch, played it literally once, saw how samey it was, then traded it for Game Boy games. It's just not for me I guess. BUT, some sort of 1-player adventure/campaign mode would probably get my eyebrows up.

To Nintendo, the Wii U didn't exist, so I'm betting MK8D "counts" internally as the Switch MK and they're not going to make a newer one while that one is still selling. I'd be shocked to see a MK9 announcement.

Oct 15 at 8:43:23 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

I wish they'd port the Arcade GP games, but I understand the Capcom exclusivity and IPs making it difficult to port.

It's funny to think we should be heading towards a "9th" Mario Kart since if you include the GP DX and VR arcade ones, plus the Switch Deluxe version of MK8 and the mobile MKT game, there's 14 Mario Karts out there. lol
I'm talking about the ninth real Mario Kart game.  On that note, when playing the Mario Kart Arcade versions using Nintendon't on the Wii, is there anyway at all to turn off the Rumble feature?  Because I never liked rumble.  

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Oct 15 at 11:51:43 PM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Like most people, I never had a Wii U, so this is a great addition to the series for me, and I'm satisfied. I don't see the need for another Mario Kart, certainly from a business perspective as people have mentioned above. The trend is one Mario Kart per system, and this release doesn't break with that pattern, just because it's not the REAL Mario Kart 9...

It's real enough to kids and parents and other casuals who just buy whatever Mario Kart is on the shelf, it's real enough to guys like me who skipped the Wii U, and it's real enough to Nintendo's share holders who see the game cresting 18 million units (and counting) as the best selling game on the whole system... It's not a personal betrayal, its business.

Besides, you're kidding yourself if you think that Mario Kart 9 ISN'T in the works, Mario Kart is LITERALLY Nintendo's biggest selling franchise these days, they are never gonna stop pumping them out, but their strategy of one per system is why that formula works so well. If they release 9 on Switch it would sell half the number of units as 8, if that, because most people already have Mario Kart on Switch, its the sort of game you only need one per system.

Anyway, look on the bright side, just wait for Switch 2 and Mario Kart 9 will probably be a launch title!  

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Oct 16 at 12:01:07 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: OptOut
 If they release 9 on Switch it would sell half the number of units as 8, if that, because most people already have Mario Kart on Switch, its the sort of game you only need one per system.
That and as soon as you announced MK 9, people would stop buying 8 and wait for the new one. No way does Nintendo want to stop a steady revenue stream right now. 

Oct 16 at 1:51:49 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: Estil

Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

I'm talking about the ninth real Mario Kart game.  On that note, when playing the Mario Kart Arcade versions using Nintendon't on the Wii, is there anyway at all to turn off the Rumble feature?  Because I never liked rumble.  

I'm not too familiar with software modding, but I'm also not sure if there is a way since arcade games normally don't have options to turn rumble off. 

Best bet would be to open your GC controller, and disconnecting the rumblers and leaving them in. You could take the rumblers out if you want to, but the controller may feel a tab bit lighter than usual.

All you really have to do is simply disconnect them if they're connected to the PCB. If they're soldered, you can either desolder or cut them and then later re-splice them if you want the rumble back, or better yet-- you can probably add-in a switch to toggle the rumble on/off.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Oct 16 at 2:09:25 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
I don't expect there to be another switch mariokart

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Oct 16 at 3:15:53 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
If they dont release 9 they probably need to do another DLC Pack for 8 with 4 more cups and some added racers

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Oct 17 at 4:56:07 AM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
If you're using official Nintendo GC controllers, there's an easier way to disable the rumble. Get an extension cable, and cut the cable's 5V line. Inserting a switch there is also easier than in the controller, if you want to.

Official controllers only use 5v for rumble and 3v for the main controller. Third-party ones might use 5v for other things too, as does the keyboard, etc.

Oct 17 at 6:54:05 AM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: quest4nes

If they dont release 9 they probably need to do another DLC Pack for 8 with 4 more cups and some added racers
At least we'd get something new.

Collection:
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  

Oct 17 at 8:49:29 AM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
The wavebird controller has no rumble and it's awesome. Problem solved!  

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***