NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Blockbuster World Video Game Championship The first one in 1994

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:15:26 PM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Hey Fellow Geeks,

So I have been doing some reading up on the Blockbuster World Championship, and I cannot find much info on the First one, (1994),

There are a few articles on the second one (the one that had the Donkey Kong and NBA Jam / judge dredd special carts made... But there is hardly any info on the first one,

I have even found a few conflicting stories, One guy said he played street fighter 2 to qualify, and the poster states NBA jam and Clayfighter!?!

So I would like to ask you guys,

Do any of you remember competing in this first Blockbuster event?? Do any documents exist on the rules / games / scoring that the participants used to qualify for this event??

Thanks in advance!

Dr Zwario

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:39:27 PM
Vampiro (35)

(Matthew S) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
If my memory serves me right I did the Sega one, and it was three games: Sonic 3, Clayfighter, and Virtua Racing. Scoring for Sonic I think was most points and or coins for level one. No idea on Clayfighter, and VR was best lap time. Also, they had two age groups 11 & under and 12 & over.

I think part 1 was in 1993 so I would have been 10

I took part in part 2, but did the SNES one and that was with DKC. My bro won for our store and got 2 free video game rentals a month for a year.

Edited: 06/03/2015 at 03:53 PM by Vampiro

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:56:39 PM
Zwario (30)
California
No way, that's awesome!! I wish Gamestop would do something cool like that!

Thanks for the info man, 1993 huh?? This competition fascinates me for some reason, as the details seem to be just what people remember!?!

Thanks again!

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:03:38 PM
TerrHeel (125)
(Terrence Jordan) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I played the Super Nintendo one. It consisted of NBA Jam, Clayfighter, and TMNT Tournament Fighters. I remember it clearly. I think I mentioned somewhere on NA not long ago, but I bombed out in NBA Jam because they didn't let me use a different controller configuration, and I had never used the default one for whatever reason. But then I killed it in Clayfighter and Tournament Fighters and ended up 10th. I did come back the next year to win the Donkey Kong Country one, though, so it worked out in the end. I got that two free rentals for a year also.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:13:07 PM
Vampiro (35)

(Matthew S) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
I was wrong part 1 was 94 and 2 in 95.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:22:29 PM
Zwario (30)
California
Dude! You won too!?! You guys are like my childhood heroes!!

I have seen a poster in Gamepro that states the games as:

Gen: NBA Jam, sonic 3, Virtua Race
SNES: NBA jam, TMNT4, Clayfighter

But I still have no Idea how the scoring was done?!? How much time did you have to play?

And most important of all:

If we have this info, can Bunnyboy make us a Cart to emulate this competition!!! :-)

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:50:41 PM
Everharm (176)
(Michael Everhart) < El Ripper >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: TerrHeel

I played the Super Nintendo one. It consisted of NBA Jam, Clayfighter, and TMNT Tournament Fighters. I remember it clearly. I think I mentioned somewhere on NA not long ago, but I bombed out in NBA Jam because they didn't let me use a different controller configuration, and I had never used the default one for whatever reason. But then I killed it in Clayfighter and Tournament Fighters and ended up 10th. I did come back the next year to win the Donkey Kong Country one, though, so it worked out in the end. I got that two free rentals for a year also.
I confirm these were the 3 games. I played in it in Janesville WI, I was 2nd after NBA Jam, but then bombed on the next one.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:23:09 PM
Zwario (30)
California
Just found this article:

http://bygonebureau.com/2013/12/0...

He states that the employees would give you 3 minutes for each game,

And then record your score, number of rings, or shortest lap, for the Genesis games anyway,

So now I'm super curious, could a Reproduction cart be made with a 3 minute timer on these three games !?!?

Wonder how Clayfighter and TMNT4 was scored??

What do you guys think??

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:46:54 PM
Nes Gangsta (90)
< Meka Chicken >
New York
I did the snes one, it was nba jam, clayfighter, and tmnt Tournament fighters. I took 2nd place at my local blockbuster, would have been first but some 40 yr old came in there and beat my top score. Wish it was set up more like NWC where they had the age brackets.

-------------------------

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:53:36 AM
MrFaust (27)
(Anthony ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
I did the Donkey Kong Country one, I finished in second in my area. I was mad sad faced, it was only by a few points.

-------------------------
We can't game here, it's Donkey Kong Country.

Edited: 06/04/2015 at 07:58 AM by MrFaust