Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contests Presents: Shinobi Challenge ends Sunday, 8/30/15 at 11 PM NA time

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:08:17 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

the score of 700k was obtained by dying on purpose in the stage right before the last boss. I would go through the whole stage and then at the end of the stage there are two gun men, I would just kill one and let the other kill me. I had I think 4-5 lives at this point so I just looped the level down to my last life before I entered the final boss fight (i never point pressed the final boss). That's where I gained the extra points. I never received an extra life (to my surprise) at any point in the stage looping. 

I don't see anything wrong with that strategy since it's not an infinite scoring loop, so all I can say is good job!

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:20:20 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

the score of 700k was obtained by dying on purpose in the stage right before the last boss. I would go through the whole stage and then at the end of the stage there are two gun men, I would just kill one and let the other kill me. I had I think 4-5 lives at this point so I just looped the level down to my last life before I entered the final boss fight (i never point pressed the final boss). That's where I gained the extra points. I never received an extra life (to my surprise) at any point in the stage looping. 

I don't see anything wrong with that strategy since it's not an infinite scoring loop, so all I can say is good job!

Yep, I agree with this too!  I had no idea the last stage was so point heavy.

I said this before but I think we need a clear definition on what point pressing is for the purposes of this contest.  I think defining Point Racking = Infinite Point Loop is a very succinct clear definition.  Dying and replaying levels should be fine so long as there isn't a way to keep gaining lives while you do it as unlimited lives essentially becomes an infinite point loop as well.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:28:57 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Yep, I agree with this too!  I had no idea the last stage was so point heavy.

I said this before but I think we need a clear definition on what point pressing is for the purposes of this contest.  I think defining Point Racking = Infinite Point Loop is a very succinct clear definition.  Dying and replaying levels should be fine so long as there isn't a way to keep gaining lives while you do it as unlimited lives essentially becomes an infinite point loop as well.

Cool  

the last stage has 3-4 of the 10k point bonuses for the little kids you rescue. 

I agree with your definition arnpoly. But what about the opportunity for a player to accidentally tap more points from an infinite point loop than a player who is good enough to pass through without tapping it at all. I think in situations like that a cap is a good idea.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:14:51 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Cool  

the last stage has 3-4 of the 10k point bonuses for the little kids you rescue. 

I agree with your definition arnpoly. But what about the opportunity for a player to accidentally tap more points from an infinite point loop than a player who is good enough to pass through without tapping it at all. I think in situations like that a cap is a good idea.

I think those kinds of decisions will have to depend on the game itself.  For Shinobi it's not enough points to make a reasonable difference.  For any other game where it's more lucrative to point rack it is probably better to make it a 1-life contest or some other kind of restriction.

For what it's worth, I think the rule sets this half have been pretty good with the exception of some of the confusion around what constitutes point pressing.  That's not a fault of the rules itself though. 

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch