Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Repro Label Hagane? Wondering opinions on this

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:16:54 PM
dantendo (27)
(Judge Dredd) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Ebay needs to wake up and start moderating these people. This has gone way to far. The flood gates are open and repros are considered acceptable by the standards of new collectors. Many new collectors reading this very post do not believe there is anything wrong with it... Why? Because it has been considered acceptable to make a repro of a hacked licensed game and not for a released licensed game... That thin line has proven to be too thin and is now broken.. People are fools to think otherwise, and I will stick by that no matter how many people (many of which are personally invested in the repro business) say otherwise.. Want to look into the future of Nintendo collecting? Go to neo-geo.com and look at the forums.. New people are banned from selling and converts are not allowed as well.. For good reason, things got so out of control in the neo world (once carts started hitting the $1000 mark) that the community had to go to extreme measures to stop it.

-------------------------

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:00:12 PM
unforgiven (33)
(Marc-André Belleau) < Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

I'm sorry to say, but that is 100% fake. They (repro label maker/seller)  used the box cover art for the label which is not quite the same. They (Hudsonsoft/Nintendo) altered the size of the lettering/logo just a little bit on the cart label filling in a couple gaps that appear the official box cover art but not the cart cover art. The same gaps that appear on the official box cover art appear on OPs cart, when they shouldn't. I've circled them below. One is above the 'N' in 'Hagane' and the bigger one is just to the left of his neck when looking face on at the cart. THERE SHOULD BE NO GAP BETWEEN HIS NECK AND THE BLACK JAPANESE SHADOW WRITING.

This would also explain why the brightness is too high on the picture art compared to the rest of the cart. It's crazy because otherwise this is a very good fake (from the pictures anyway). Not sure about the board, but it may be the super famicom version as someone suggested above. If it wasn't for the bright colors I would have never guessed it was a fake unless I could compare it to a legit copy. 

here is a slightly higher res shot below since I shrank this down to fit the thread. 
http://i.imgur.com/NW6iQwJ.jpg&nb...;

Sorry for bumping up the thread, but I'd rather do that than create a new one.
I was asked to check if the label was legit for the same game. From what I've seen from the analysis in the quoted post: I think it's fake for the same reasons.
But I'd like to hear from the experts please.

http://imgur.com/a/ujzbk...

Edited: 10/12/2015 at 11:04 PM by unforgiven

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:20:25 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: unforgiven

I'm sorry to say, but that is 100% fake. They (repro label maker/seller)  used the box cover art for the label which is not quite the same. They (Hudsonsoft/Nintendo) altered the size of the lettering/logo just a little bit on the cart label filling in a couple gaps that appear the official box cover art but not the cart cover art. The same gaps that appear on the official box cover art appear on OPs cart, when they shouldn't. I've circled them below. One is above the 'N' in 'Hagane' and the bigger one is just to the left of his neck when looking face on at the cart. THERE SHOULD BE NO GAP BETWEEN HIS NECK AND THE BLACK JAPANESE SHADOW WRITING.

This would also explain why the brightness is too high on the picture art compared to the rest of the cart. It's crazy because otherwise this is a very good fake (from the pictures anyway). Not sure about the board, but it may be the super famicom version as someone suggested above. If it wasn't for the bright colors I would have never guessed it was a fake unless I could compare it to a legit copy. 

here is a slightly higher res shot below since I shrank this down to fit the thread. 
http://i.imgur.com/NW6iQwJ.jpg&nb...;

Sorry for bumping up the thread, but I'd rather do that than create a new one.
I was asked to check if the label was legit for the same game. From what I've seen from the analysis in the quoted post: I think it's fake for the same reasons.
But I'd like to hear from the experts please.

http://imgur.com/a/ujzbk

Fake, it has the gap on the left side of his neck

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:39:12 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Yeah, man... I think it's fake. I guess there is always a slight chance there could be two different print runs or something but I highly doubt it. More collectors with legit carts can chime in. I think someone just made a good reprint but used the cover art since it was most likely higher resolution and they didn't know about the subtle differences. The labels sell on eBay for less than $5.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Edited: 10/12/2015 at 11:39 PM by Andy_Bogomil

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:30:57 PM
D2Girls (1)

< Little Mac >
Ontario

Yeah, man... I think it's fake. I guess there is always a slight chance there could be two different print runs or something but I highly doubt it. More collectors with legit carts can chime in. I think someone just made a good reprint but used the cover art since it was most likely higher resolution and they didn't know about the subtle differences. The labels sell on eBay for less than $5.

I know this is a very old post however I feel like I have something new to contribute. I recently picked up a Hagane and after carefully studying my box and my cart, I didnt really understand your conclusion that the "Hagane" text has less space between the neck.. on the contrary, it lookes like theres actually more space, technically. But it does appear the text is shifted slightly downwards, and is certainly different from the box art. The easiest way for me to tell was the position of the H on the cart, vs the box. Notice how on the box the top part of the H rises slightly above his shoulder. On the cart it's a little bit below. One of the reasons why I found this so confusing is the original picture in the OP isn't working and I wasn't sure which of the images that you edited was his and which was yours. That, and the awkward way that you describe the differences would be. Anyways I'm fairly confident mine isn't a repro label. Heres two pics for comparasion:

Box:
Cart:

So like I said, you can see the H is lowered on the cart. Actually I think all the letters are but it's really difficult to tell... anyways if my deductions are correct, id appreciate a reply.

Edited: 06/09/2016 at 09:27 PM by D2Girls

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:36:44 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: D2Girls

Your cart is real for the reasons described above. Yes, I agree the 'H' is lowered, which is why there is no space by his neck on an official cart, UNLIKE the picture that OP posted. I may not have described it in the best way, and there are a couple ways of looking at it, but we are ultimately getting to the same conclusion. OPs label is 100% fake and different from yours, which looks legit. 

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:59:52 PM
D2Girls (1)

< Little Mac >
Ontario
thank you andy, your response is MUCH appreciated! ^_^