Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Abai's Gameboy restoration blog A picture blog dedicated to saving Gameboys from the landfill!

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:09:06 PM
Abai (0)
< Cherub >
Netherlands
Hello there,

This is blog is about giving some love to those in dear need. Indeed, those game boys that have been bruised and abused by their frantic owners to the point that they do not work anymore. Ready to be tossed to the garbage bin or dismembered for parts (horrid ), they are floting out there. They have a rich history of surving various kinds of torture, but that last little trick from The Kid finally broke their spirit.

Fear not! We do not discrimate, whether you are color, sp, dmg, advanced or just in the pocket, w
e are here to help. When all hope is lost, when all ebay sellers mark you as junk, we will fight for your survival. Game boy's of the world rejoice, we will extend your life, so that you can be tortured a few years longer!

In this blog I will post my restoration worklogs and pics for those interested or requiring information to perform simlar repairs!

Find below:
  1. Game Boy Advance SP - SMD component repair
  2. Game Boy Color - Battery corrosion and control pad repair

Edited: 01/03/2016 at 09:09 AM by Abai

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:02:17 PM
Abai (0)
< Cherub >
Netherlands

Game Advance SP - SMD component repair

Foreword:

This patient arrived from Ōizumi, Japan.

According to wikipedia this is a city with 39,996 inhabitants. An industrial city that contains several manufactoring facilities. It is esimated that 15% of the population speaks Portuguese, Ōizumi has the highest concentration of Brazilians of any city in Japan. Many of them work in the manufactoring plants.

This is their city hall

And this aestehic pond of calmness is there too

I imagine that The Kid was actually quite a tidy little one. In fact I have seen the proof of that inside our patient. No peanut butter fingers, crums or sodas stains. To say the least I think The Kid was quite serious about his toy and the scratches and wear are more due to extensive and tireless use, rather than recurrent neglect. This tough machine was one with restless fingers. It was worn and torn, but more so satisfied, that is until The Kid invited his Brasilian Japanese friend to his house and they got into a staring contest regarding who can play Medabots better. Somewhere along the line the gameboy crashed on the bathroom tiles, and that was the end of our tireless friend.

Or not, lets get to work!

Repair steps:

This game boy advance SP does not turn on. Flip the switch, nothing happens. Lets open it up!

Now if there is no power, the first thing to check is the power switch. No, wait! "Abai ... Battery ..."

Corny movie references aside, measuring the voltage of the lithium battery is easy. All you need is a multimeter. If you are not sure how just google it up.

The nominal voltage of the fully loaded SP battery should be around 4.2V. If it is above 4 it should still power up. If it's way below 4 Volts, it is most likely drained or broken. Do note that a Voltage above 4.3V is also abnormal and might indicate that your battery is bad. In our case the multimeter reads 4.08V, so it is time to look further than battery issues. Now it is time to switch to power, power switch *ahem*.

Break out the trusty multimeter and measure continuity between 2 and C2 pads of the power switch. Make sure the power switch is set to "on".

It seems the power switch works. Wishful thinking, do not kid with The Kid. This thing is boken properly. When an SP does not power up the next step would be to check the F1 and F2 fuses for continuity. If they are blown, they need to be replaced or bypassed.

The multimeter beeps loudly when placing the rods over the F1 fuse. It is fine. We gain more and more respect for The Kid. Let's remove the philips screws to go deeper. BUT BE CAREFUL, don't remove the SP pcb from it's housing yet!

The lcd ribbon cable is quite delicate and it is still connected to the pcb. Carefully flip the pcb and remove the ribbon cable by releasing the clips that hold it. I use a plastic little tool for this. You can use a little screw driver or your nails, but be extra careful. You are one slip away from needing a new screen.

We have released the pcb from it's frame. Wait, what the heck is that hanging around the L2 component? ...

That is a broken inductor spool. Kid ... you dropped it. You dropped it badly. It is clear now that this patient cannot power up without a replacement L2 inductor. We could attempt to simply bridge it, but better safe than sorry. Lets find a suitable replacement.

Since the inductor lettering says 101, we can deduct that it is 100uH (10 + 1 zero). Trying to find a suitable replacement SMD inductor, I actually decided to pass by my local electronics parts supplier. Unfortunately they did not have anything small enough to be soldered and still fit inside the game boy shell. The replacement inductor cannot be too big otherwise the casing simply won't close. So, dissapointed and with little hope left, I decided to hit my scrap electronics bin. And bingo!

That's it!  Sitting on an old router pcb. Now, how to desolder it. First of all remove and storage the caps that surround it for easier access. Now there are many techniques to be found on the web on how to remove an SMD component. I personally find that using two soldering irons is the simplest, unless you have a hotair rework station. I have a temperature controlled soldering station and a cheap soldering iron of 25W. In order to desolder the SDM, I apply plenty of fresh leaded solder onto the sides that have to be desoldered, this helps me conduct heat and remove that lead-free solder that is often used by manufacturers. Now, using two soldering irons I can head up the solder on both sides of the coil and simply push it of the pads that it is soldered to. Now i am not an expert in these matters, but this way works well for me!

Here is the donor in all it's glory

Use some solder wick to clean up the coil as well as the solder pads on SP pcb.

Now it is time to resolder the L2 inductor. Soldering SMD components can be a little tricky without the proper tools. On my first try I tinned the pads on the L2 inductor as you can see in the picture below. Don't do it!

What this does is it create an uneven surface below the SMD component. If you are using a simple soldering iron, like me, then you won't be able to heat both pads simultaneously, thus the coil will not sit evenly with the pcb surface. I removed the coil and cleaned everything up with solder wick again.

What seems to be a good way is to first apply some solder to one of the pads on the pcb, keeping all other surfaces clean (Use isopropyl alcohol and or flux to clean up). Now place the SMD component onto the pads and orient it properly. Use tweezers to hold the component in place and melt the solder that you applied to the pcb pad ealier. While the solder is still hot, place and seat the component properly. Now the coil should be seated evenly with the pcb and attached to one pad already. All you need to do now is flow some solder between the other pad and the component. This is in fact an easy task if you got at it the right way! If you have trouble having solder attach .. just flux it! 

Let's inspect the soldering job:

At first sight, no soldering bridges. A bit too much solder on the pad that I did last, but we can live with that. More importantly, lets take the multimeter and test for continuity. Does the spool actually conduct electricity as it should?

Haven't you heard? Beep is the word! 

Before reassembling the case we thoroughly clean it, although as mentioned before. The Kid was tidy enough to wash his little little thumbs between dinner and game time. An easy job here.

This moment is always full of excitement, not so rarely followed by dissapoitment. Will it work?

What worries me is that our donor L2 component is almost twice as high as the original coil. So the question here is rather: Will it fit in the case? A good thing to keep in mind when doing similar repairs.

Since there is only one way to find out, lets reassemble everything and power it up. Again be very careful with the lcd ribbon cable, and don't forget to put back any buttons, otherwise you will end up having to completely dismantle the SP again.

Law and behold!

There you go Kid, wherever you may be now. Heck, you are definitely far from being a kid by now. Maybe you have a few other dusty gameboys safely stored in your parents attic. The house you rarely visit. Maybe, instead of playing with those tiny buttons, you are now pulling strings in huge corporation. Or maybe you became a space scientist, and adventurer, like you always wanted to be. Are your trained thumbs behind the recent sucess of SpaceX landing. Who knows ...

Know this kid, you can let go of that distant and painful memory of that long drop, followed by a black empty screen.

Your game boy lives again!

Edited: 01/03/2016 at 09:18 AM by Abai

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:19:59 AM
aguy (32)
< El Ripper >
California
WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!?

Seriously though, I so find this very interesting and will be checking back. Have you considered starting a WordPress/blogger/etc... to host this?

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:11:13 AM
Abai (0)
< Cherub >
Netherlands
What happened next is I fell asleep while transferring my macro pcb shots to my computer

Glad you like it, I will finish it up today.

As for a WordPress, I will see how it goes. If I manage to create enough content regularly I might create one. For now I'll post my adventures here!

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:31:32 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Interesting read. Looking forward to more!

-------------------------

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:42:01 AM
Abai (0)
< Cherub >
Netherlands
There you go, post is complete now. Thanks for reading!

There are more worklogs in the batch. A little teaser on the upcoming post:

The next patient will be a colourful one that for some reason always wanted to go right, not left ... Peculiar

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:19:36 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
This is really great! I enjoyed reading this a lot and I look forward to more.

-------------------------
Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Dec 30, 2015 at 5:29:37 PM
Abai (0)
< Cherub >
Netherlands

Game Boy Color - Battery corrosion and control pad repair

The pictures are high-res, open them in a new tab to take a closer look!

Foreword:

The next patient arrived, once again, from the wonderful country of Japan. 

I regret not writing down the postal office details from the envelope, as this would allow me to ponder again on the whereabouts of this game boy color. However, I received it well before I had any intention of writing this blog. All I can tell you is that it arrived from Western Japan and sent to me by an eBay seller called samuraikomachi.

Map of Japan

This game boy is a special one, not only because it arrived with a thank you note and a little japanese candy that put a day’s worth of smile on my face (Thank you, komachi-san! ), but because this was the first game boy that I received for repairs, and it was the one that opened my eyes to how wonderful these little devices are.

I have a confession to make. I had first bought this patient, marked as “junk” and “for parts” exactly for the said purpose. I wanted to reuse the housing and a part of the pcb in a project of my own. 

Nevertheless, I had sworn to myself that I will not deprive the world of a perfectly working game boy. Soon I learned, that a perfectly working gameboy is simply defined by how far you are willing to go to fix it. And so without further ado, here is the patient. A Japanese berry (fuchsia) game boy color.

Berry frontBerry back

These great little devices were first released on October 1998 in Japan. Berry variation is one of the original colors released on that day. The wikipedia states: "The Game Boy Color was a response to pressure from game developers for a more sophisticated handheld platform, as they felt that the Game Boy, even in its latest incarnation, the Game Boy Pocket, was insufficient.

Berry acid damage

A game boy is not a game boy without The Kid. And yes there was one that held this patient. Held it as often as he dropped it I might add. The screen and the case are quite roughed up, scratches and bumps all over.

Removing the battery cap, we see ... wait The Kid removed it for us already! Permanently …

I presume it is somewhere under the couch of Ojiisan, fully camouflaged in dust. Hidden, like a ninja, from young sticky fingers, and old tired eyes alike. It lies there, flat to the ground, holding its breath. For the last eighteen years, it has been planning its escape, imagining the moment when its lungs will burst with a loud shriek and it will fly through the room and out into the wild. From then on, making its own way, living by its own rules, afraid of no one. 

The reality of the battery cap’s existence? Too scared to move, paralysed in its disguise. Governed by the routine of its dusty life of laying low. One day, the couch will be removed. The cap will be picked up by a house mover’s dirty fingers and sent on an epic journey down the trash bin. From then on, it will be a wild ride, surrounded by banana peels, wild younger recyclable materials and indecipherable news papers. A last wild trip to the land fill.

But enough about the ninja battery cap, it will remain there, waiting for a better day. Lets get cracking!

Battery corrosion repair:

Berry acid damage 2

The Kid lost the battery cap, but he conveniently did not loose the batteries. After a christmas eve that facilited an upgrade to a game boy advance (poor fella ), this berry has been lying in a dark, dusty box of crap in a far far away closet, holding on dearly to its batteries. And what happens when you squeeze batteries for too long? Indeed, they leak all over you.

Severe battery leakage on the contacts means bad news. More often than not the leakage spreads throughout pcb and damages traces and components. Often the game boy will not turn on in this state. I guess most sellers would rightfully mark such devices as trash. But fear not, Berry Fuchsia, we will save your life! You’ll be all right!

Berry pcb

The picture above is after I cleaned up all the acid. Unfortunately I did not make a snap with all the blue crystally stuff all over, but here are shots corrosion from another game boy color I am fixing. Note how far select and start pads are from the actual battery contacts.

Berry corrosion 1Berry corrosion 2

First note, battery acid is poisonous. Do not touch it with your fingers, use gloves preferably. Do not rub your nose or eye while cleaning it. Wash your hands when you are done. You have been warned.

In truth it is much less dangerous than it sounds, but it is best to be cautious. Firstly lets remove the pcb and disconnect it from the screen.

Screen connector

I use a plastic tool to pull up the clips that hold the screen ribbon cable, as seen in the picture above. You can use a screw driver or your nails, but be careful. You are but one slip away from damaging the cable and needing a new LCD. Yes, as far as I know the cable cannot be repaired or replaced.

Now unscrew the three philips screws holding the PCB in place and remove it. Don’t forget to be careful with the battery acid parts, those gloves would come in handy now. (And no eye rubbing!)

PCB out

The first rule of fixing this game boy is: Neutralize the battery acid! 
And we will do this using baking soda!

Bakin soda

Make sure that no batteries or power source is attached to the pcb before cleaning. What I like to do is take a shot glass and put some baking soda into it, then add a little bit of water. Stir a few times with the back of the spoon. Say: “Berry, let’s cook!”. Now, get ready to use the gooey paste you've created. You can get rid of the excess water on top of the soda paste. 

Soda paste

The trick is now to apply the paste to the battery contact without dripping water on the pcb. I tend to use q-tips to apply the paste to the battery contacts and leave it there for a few minutes, then scrub it off with another clean q-tip. 

Clean-up with some isopropyl alcohol and you should have your shiny contacts back. Sometimes the acid damage to the contacts destroys the chrome finish. Nothing to be done, the contacts won’t shine, but should still work. In my case this is the result:

Cleaned contact 1Cleaned Contact 2

It is not perfect, but it will do. If you really want to clean them better you could desolder the battery contacts, but that does not go without risk of damaging the pcb unless you are very confident of your desoldering skills. I would say don't fix it if it ain't broken. 

Now lets get to those acid leaks on the pcb. This is a bit tricky. You should not apply any water on the pcb for obvious reasons, yet you need to neutralise the acid. What I like to use are two, you guessed it, q-tips! 

Dip one lightly into the soda to absorb some water but don’t pick up too much paste as the crystals might scratch the pcb. Dip the second q-tip into the isopropyl alcohol. Now first rub a acid off a pad with the soda water q-tip, then clean up with the alcohol drenched one.

I’m sure there might be better ways to do this, but so far this worked out fine. Some people like to use vinegar instead of soda, but I’d say that will create a sticky and smelly mess. Not to mention you might get it all over the pcb and short stuff out.

Now let the pcb dry for an hour or so to prevent any shorts.

Time to test! Reassemble the whole and use a fresh pair of batteries. Let’s see what works and what not.

Wario Land 3 Screen

Berry Fuchsia is churning out chip tunes once again! But wait, something is up with controls ...

Wario LeftWario Up

Somehow Mr Wario is a bit confused and does not want to go left and up. Either that or this gameboy is locked onto the location of its ninja battery cap. It wants to be reunited with it, dearly. 

Kid, you couldn’t have made it this easy, could you? Berry, back to the operating table!

Control pad repair:

First off you can find bigger pictures of snaps below, here and here. This might help you to locate the area on the PCB that we will be talking about.

Having taken Berry apart, lets look at how controls work. 

PCB traces frontPCB traces rear

As an example, look at the UP control pad. As you can see each pad consists out of two parts. The one designated with 0 is connected to ground (designated by the little upside down striped pyramid symbol). The second part of the control pad is connected by a copper trace that goes all the way up to the CPU. The copper pads 0 and 1 are disconnected, creating an open electrical circuit. When the UP button is pressed, those 0 an 1 pads are linked. The circuit now becomes closed and the electricity is conducted. This tells the CPU that the UP button was pressed and Mr Wario should now enter the black square of nothingness to appear in a new game tile. In our case, nothing happens. This means that even when pads 0 and 1 are connected by button press, the electrical circuit remains open. Somewhere along the copper trace towards the CPU there is one or several breaks.

How to find the break? For this we use the multimeter. First off, doublecheck that the meter is set to continiuty measurement and the electrodes are connected to the right ports. Now touch the black and red electrodes together and you should hear a loud and clear beep. You have created a closed circuit between the electrodes. Now let's move onto the PCB.

When measuring the continuity between two points on the PCB, it is important to remember that when you dont hear that beep, there can be multiple reasons for it. It is possible that the pads you are testing are not properly making contact with an electrode, try to wiggle them gently, try to touch the points a few times at different angles. If you still don't hear a beep, try it again. On the other hand if you do hear a beep, all is fine and you can move on to testing the next part.

We are trying to fix the UP pad so let's focus on the purple line. First off we want to check if the 0 pad is connected to the ground properly. For this we touch one electrode (doesn't matter red or black) to the 0 pad of the purple line and the other electrode to a ground point. The ground point that we use is designated by a white circle in the picture above. The multimeter beeps and we can move onto the next part. Next we measure the continuity between point 1 and 5 on the purple line. Wiggling the electrodes doesn't help, and after multiple times it's clear, there is a break in this segment. Measuring between points 5 and 2 produces a beep. That was an easy one, electricity is conducted all the way to the test pad 2, designated as P02 on the PCB, so the break is somewhere between point 2 and 1 on the purple line.

In similar manner we repeat the steps for the LEFT control pad on the red line. We find that here there are two breaks. One between points 2 and 1 and one between 3 and 2. So here we will need to fix two parts of traces.

A simple way to repair the breaks is to take a piece of electrical wire and solder it to bridge the breaks. We could solder a wire between 2 and 1 on the purple line and a wire between 3 and 1. While this is an easy and relatively safe fix, I prefer to try to fix the breaks with solder not to have loose wires hanging on the PCB. Please think for yourself what works best for you at this step.

Break upBreak left

My intuition is that battery acid leaks tend to happen around the parts of the copper trace that are in contact with oxygen, or in other words are in the open. Also the breaks are more likely to be closer to the battery contact, which is in fact right on the back of the control pad. In the pictures above you can see my (un)educated guesses for breaks of UP and DOWN buttons.

Now to fix the breaks without using wire, we need to uncover the copper trace. Take an exacto knife and do some very gentle, very very careful, scratchie-scratchie. Stop scratching as soon as you see copper.

Scratch traceScratch trace 2

Now, as you can see in the pictures, I started scratching at the UP pad side of the broken trace. However, having revealed the copper and tested for continuity it seemed to be fine at this end. Next I started to scratch at the P02 side and there it was. Lets clean everything up with isopropyl alcohol, then flux it up and flow some solder over the break.

Break zoomBreak fixed

Repeating the same procedure for the LEFT control pad, the breaks were found around the P01 pad on the PCB. This was a trickier solder job as the solder had to flow in two directions. So look what I have created! I have created a COLD SODER JOINT! What do we do about it? Well, I double checked everything with the multimeter and the trace seems fine again. Wilson, this joint will remain our little secret!

Bad jointFixed PCB

Now if you scratched a part of the trace that you shoudn't have you can conver it with nail polish to protect the copper. I have left mine out in the open for now. Here is a shot of the whole pcb after repair (and before flux cleanup):

Fixed PCB

It is that time again. Put everything together and see if we can crack this coconut!

Final shot

Rejoice, Berry Fuchsia is in full operational condition again! And on this note we will end this adventure!

But not before we tell you that Berry has received a prostetic battery cap replacement in purple over the mail. He is very happy to be whole again, but sometimes ... at night .. he still thinks about his dusty ninja friend. If you have any comments on how things can be done better, if you (dis)like to have to read through such a long batch of text, or if you have found a fuchsia battery cap exceptionally skilled with pointy stars ... Please do write!

Edited: 12/30/2015 at 05:55 PM by Abai

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:00:30 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Thanks for this. Did you consider using a fiberglass pen for scratching and conductive ink for restoring those traces?

Edit: Went back to read your GBA SP repair adventure and it looks like several of your GBA SP repair pics are replaced with GBC repair pics.

Edited: 12/30/2015 at 09:05 PM by CZroe

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:32:38 AM
Abai (0)
< Cherub >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: CZroe

Thanks for this. Did you consider using a fiberglass pen for scratching and conductive ink for restoring those traces?

Edit: Went back to read your GBA SP repair adventure and it looks like several of your GBA SP repair pics are replaced with GBC repair pics.

Hi there, that's strange stuff with GBA SP pictures. I just did a hard refresh and they are ok on my side. Could you post some links of the wrong images?

The fiberglass pen and conductive ink might actually be a good idea here. I've looked around and a fiberglass pen/brush is definitely safer to use than using an exacto knife. Costing around 10$ I think it's a good investment, should definitely look into it. The only worry I have in all the video's I've seen, the pen is so thick that it would take off quite a large part of the pcb mask. Do you think there is a pen thin enough to would uncover the trace only?

Conductive ink = cool stuff. I've seen that the brand pens are somewhat expensive, often going for around 50$. I don't own one, but if I would try this I would go for the stuff these guys are using:

By the way it seems there are a ton of guides on how to make the ink yourself. Apparently it is not cheaper, but definitely more fun:

http://jordanbunker.com/archives/...

Thanks for the tips This was my first attempt at trace repair. Next time I will try your suggestions!

EDIT:

Just picked up this cheapo ink and fiberglass pen, here and here. Will remove the solder and experiment once it gets in!

Edited: 12/31/2015 at 10:26 AM by Abai

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:06:49 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Conductive ink/paint applied with a toothpick is much less expensive! I usually use the silver stuff intended for fixing rubber membranes in keypads and remotes. I think it was ~$10 USD last time I ordered. It doesn't hold up well for its intended purpose but it should work great for trace repair (nothing moving/flexing).

I have a pretty thin fiberglass pen from Radio Shack which retracts like a standard ink pen. Sure, the tip is bigger than your typical pen and it would be tough not to uncover some extra area, but it's tapered and very little gets rubbed off where to don't want it to. Even then, accidentally uncovered traces are much better than accidentally cut traces.

The GBC pics were intersprersed with the GBA SP pics, substituting for many with descriptions which were obviously intended for a missing GBA SP pic. They seem to be correct now. No idea why my phone was showing the wrong images for about a third of them.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:31:37 AM
Abai (0)
< Cherub >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: CZroe

... Even then, accidentally uncovered traces are much better than accidentally cut traces.

True that!

I saw that the link that I posted for the ink I bought was wrong here is the correct one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Si...

It's only 1.80$. Lets see if it works out. I will post a mini guide once I receive the goods.