Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone think that mods can be a bit lock-happy?

LOCKED TOPIC

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:55:23 PM
ZOMG! (30)
(NES 001) < Meka Chicken >
California
Jone, have you ever back doored or attempted to back door a person before? If you can say honestly that you haven't then you didn't deserve it. Regardless of answer, what the guy is doing is pretty fucked up but do we really need a HoS section for backdoorers? If you list every person that attempted to back door or backdoored a person we might need another server.

-------------------------

FS: SNES/N64/NES Taking Systems In Trade

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:15:29 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Arthas

Jone, have you ever back doored or attempted to back door a person before? If you can say honestly that you haven't then you didn't deserve it. Regardless of answer, what the guy is doing is pretty fucked up but do we really need a HoS section for backdoorers? If you list every person that attempted to back door or backdoored a person we might need another server.

Is this a serious post?  No, I don't backdoor on completed deals.  It's never been tolerated on NA for as long as I've been here. 

Now making offers on a live item is a completely different story.  Of course I've done that.  Sadly, with certain "rare" items you almost have to these days... or you'll watch it magically get pulled without ever having a chance to bid. 

*Shakes fist angrily at someone in this thread*   Well not really, but damn I would have side-dealed on it too if I knew it'd be such a long drought between copies.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:30:25 PM
dirtbrother (64)
(Switch Bender) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: SamSpade

I'm all for bringing the HOS back. It was a very valuable asset on this site. It included exceptions like bad ebay sellers and all sorts of solid information to help members of this site.

I very much agree with this. I am currently having an issue with a member of this site who has screwed me twice and I am having trouble getting anything done about it. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:30:45 PM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
Personally the HOS was a huge help to me and I kept my ebay banned list up to date because of it. I understand the flood of complaints also. I myself have had bad transactions with both ebay members and sad to say, NA members. I do think that by not having an HOS, it's basically asking members to post topics like jonebone did to out the other person.

The goal of NA should be to keep the collecting community informed in all aspects including those who seek to do others harm. I consider NA a part of my family and I don't want other family members crapping on any of us or taking advantage.

Personally I have bought a few items from jonebone and had a great experience with dealing with him. He has never hid the fact of where he has picked items up or what he paid for them so I do not feel that he has done anything wrong. I've bought items at a steal before and resold them for a profit and there isn't anything wrong with that. It's a service. It's wrong to have created a contract with someone by winning an item and then to have the individual turn around and cancel it because they think they could have gotten more after the fact. Seller's remorse is no excuse. I feel bad that other members of NA have taken advantage of people like jonebone and really hope that we can get the HOS fixed in a way that the mods can handle the complaints.

On a side note, I don't see anything wrong with a mod locking a thread due to things getting out of hand or violating rules on the forums. I've had a few of my threads locked and benihana has locked a few of them. I don't see anything wrong with that if I'm indeed violating one of the rules or if they are doing it to protect the members from a problem arising. Frankly, the mods are working very hard and doing this for free out of the love for NA. I don't think we should ever get mad at a mod for locking a thread, they are taking the brunt of a lot of agression for the purpose of helping the community. Sometimes we just have to bite our tongues and move on.

On a side note, that was pretty messed up and mean to do Nintendopower_4_ever

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 08/31/2011 at 03:32 PM by gwyndion

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:38:46 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Paul

Everyone wants the Hall of Shame back. Here's my take on that:

First if it was brought back, there would need to be 2 separate Hall of Shames. One for Ebay, and one for NA.

Second, who's going to run it? Everyone wants to see it brought back, but no one wants to volunteer their time to run it.

Any volunteers?

Having been the person to run the Hall of Shame longer than any other member here, I would love to take back the responsibility of the HOS.

It was the most thankless job I've ever had, and after a few years I decided to pass the reigns.  If I had known it would lead to the HOS being completely removed, I never would have given it up.

If someone runs the new Hall of Shame(s) and don't have the balls to out ANYONE who mistreats members of our community, regardless of where the wrongdoing occurs, they aren't fit to do it.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:40:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Paul

Everyone wants the Hall of Shame back. Here's my take on that:

First if it was brought back, there would need to be 2 separate Hall of Shames. One for Ebay, and one for NA.

Second, who's going to run it? Everyone wants to see it brought back, but noone wants to volunteer their time to run it.

Any volunteers?

So far there has been all sorts of clammor for a return, yet I don't see a single volunteer.  The last person who took over the HOS lasted about a month before he disappeared. 

It is a ton of very thankless work.  That is also the main reason why we would want to split it up between NA and non-NA, to lesson the load of keeping it maintained. 

Edit: Hey a volunteer!

Edited: 08/31/2011 at 03:41 PM by B.A.

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:40:40 PM
milligangames (407)
(Patrick Milligan) < King Solomon >
New York
Mods do a great job and this is one of the best forums on the internet, but I agree that too many threads are getting locked. In some cases, if any bit of negativity enters a thread, boom discussion over. It's a bit ridiculous and I have voiced my opinion to various mods a few times. I don't think people are going to decide not to visit the site or become a member of the forum just because there are some arguments going on here and there.

In the thread in question, the accused didn't get a chance to defend himself after being called out publicly. Guilty or not, it isn't right for him to not have a voice after everyone has read one side of the story. On the other hand, if Jonas is getting screwed he should have some way to alert other members about the problem without getting the thread locked as soon as a mod reads it.

Edit: Additionally, does a Hall of Shame necessarily have to be moderated? Why not just have a members only "flame section" where people can voice their problems, the accused can defend themselves, outsiders can read and formulate their own opinions, and everyone can argue in the thread, in its own sub-section, until they get tired of it? Why does there have to be any sort of arbitration? I am sure this has been discussed but I'd be interested to hear some opinions.

Edited: 08/31/2011 at 03:43 PM by milligangames

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:42:19 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: ClaytonBigsby

Could it not just be 2 list in one page??? But we NEED to know who the bad guys are

When I kept up the HOS, the second post had a list of HOS NA members in alphabetical order followed by a second list of EBay username list in alphabetical order.  This was the case for a very long time.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:43:05 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Mark Mark Mark Mark Mark!

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:43:25 PM
kimbolemonslice (86)
(Aaron Kit) < Kraid Killer >
Missouri
i would do the HOS but im starting school in a month and im a member of the HOS lol maybe i could part time

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:44:33 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
You want some volunteers to step up for HOS? (Of course, Mark is more than fit for it, but just saying.) Make it an award and I'm sure you'll have people lined up and beating the door down. People go crazy for those things.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:21:12 PM
matt17_52 (28)
(Matt Wyatt) < Lolo Lord >
South Carolina
could we not have a standard one post for each party involved. make it almost like a jury trial. The accuser gets to tell his side in one post. The "defendant" posts his rebuttal and then mods decide who wins and who gets added to the Hos. The we could reference each one for similar situations that occur later. Assign each one a case number like NA case no. 1

Originally posted by: RetroBasement

wow thanks for making me squirt milk out of my nipples

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:26:33 PM
jidar (0)
(Bryan McClendon) < Tourian Tourist >
Kansas
Any forum with more than a few years age becomes over moderated. Mods always find news reasons to use their powers (and justify their existence) but they never abandon old ones.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:34:05 PM
Rengozu (54)
(Jeff Smith) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee

Backdooring is bad enough, but from what I read doesn't even seem like traditional backdooring. The guy didn't even want the item and seems that he contacted the seller out of spite because he was determined not to let Jone have it. That just seems kinda creepy in an obsessed stalker kind of way. 

I applaud the mods for keeping it civil, but with enough evidence to support claims, events like these should be made aware of to the community somehow.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:37:06 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Wow! Is this not a direct attack at me? Pisses me off something fierce, and I don't ever get mad.
As much as I want to lock the shit out of this thread I will not...it has spawned a useful discussion about the HOS coming back. That is being a good mod. Not letting my emotions get involved and doing things because you "Want" to.
Everything I have done as a mod has been impartial and in the best interest of NintendAge. When I do something wrong (and I have) or I over step my boundaries, my Admins are there to let me know...That is their job...
NOT YOURS!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:37:13 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon

wtf does that mean? as forums grow there are more members, more posts which require more people to help out.

we aren't sitting around stroking eachother, trying to "justify" our existence... I'd love to hear you expand on your post.

EDIT: directed at jidar 

eBay listings here

Edited: 08/31/2011 at 04:38 PM by qixmaster

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:43:08 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon

One thing I must say about Jonas is that he does not back door.  Even when we were at odds in the past, he was always man enough to stay away from something he could have easily fucked me over on...  One instance i had a BIN added to an auction that included a CIB fun n games and jonas too saw it, knew I won it and didn't email the seller or even fuck with it..  other people did, but luckily the seller was very nice about selling it to me and followed through with the transaction.

now, Arthas (formaly ZOMG),  I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with this post - but it is pretty ridiculous.

eBay listings here

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:43:50 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Benihana

When I do something wrong (and I have) or I over step my boundaries, my Admins are there to let me know...That is their job...
NOT YOURS!

Not entirely true.

Part of being a responsible citizen is holding your leaders and police force accountable.

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:46:10 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

Wow! Is this not a direct attack at me? Pisses me off something fierce, and I don't ever get mad.
As much as I want to lock the shit out of this thread I will not...it has spawned a useful discussion about the HOS coming back.

I appreciate everything you do as a mod (as well as the other mods), but the bolded sentence does highlight the issue at hand.  Had you seen this thread five posts in and drilled it, we wouldn't have gotten as far as HOS discussion.

Usually when a thread is in danger of being derailed, the "keep it civil" warning comes well before a lock.  I can understand immediate locks on plain hate-fests, but this didn't seem to warrant that.

As a mod, I would imagine you'd need pretty thick skin.  (I've seen the amount of shit they've taken over the years, and most deal with it rather well.)

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:48:21 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

When I do something wrong (and I have) or I over step my boundaries, my Admins are there to let me know...That is their job...
NOT YOURS!

Not entirely true.

Part of being a responsible citizen is holding your leaders and police force accountable.

Ah, that would be true in a democracy where you elect your officials...
Fortunately for me, I was not elected by the citizens for NA...
Unfortunately for some, NA is more of a dictatorship, and today I get to be the DICK!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:53:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

NOT YOURS!

Not entirely true.

Unfortunately for some, NA is more of a dictatorship, and today I get to be the DICK!

You're incorrect on this one, bud.

If we collectively decided that we REALLY dislikeda mod, I doubt it would be difficult to have them removed for the sake of peace and harmony on the rest of the site.

The mods aren't above the law, here. 

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:53:31 PM
xtremegamer (188)
(Lenny Laserdisc) < Ridley Wrangler >
Missouri

NOT YOURS!

Not entirely true.

It's post like this from you that rub me the wrong way and why people have brought to your attention on closing threads way too earlier before we can find out it will be a civil discussion.

There is a time/place for jokes, but to me this is not one of them, this is a very immature post and may show why people have a problem with your decision making as a mod. 

Paaaaper!  Have you ever seen paper?  Look at it, smell it!

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:57:22 PM
ZOMG! (30)
(NES 001) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: qixmaster

One thing I must say about Jonas is that he does not back door.  Even when we were at odds in the past, he was always man enough to stay away from something he could have easily fucked me over on...  One instance i had a BIN added to an auction that included a CIB fun n games and jonas too saw it, knew I won it and didn't email the seller or even fuck with it..  other people did, but luckily the seller was very nice about selling it to me and followed through with the transaction.

now, Arthas (formaly ZOMG),  I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with this post - but it is pretty ridiculous.

I just asked him if he ever back doored anybody before. I mean, if he did it would be pretty ridiculous to complain about back dooring.

He answered no.

FS: SNES/N64/NES Taking Systems In Trade

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:59:35 PM
kimbolemonslice (86)
(Aaron Kit) < Kraid Killer >
Missouri

Aug 31, 2011 at 4:59:54 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Let it be known that the MODs and ADMINs fully support Benihanas decision to lock the thread. hell i would have done it too had I seen it. We are 100% behind him (in more ways than one, giggty giggty).

Jesus Christ guys, this isn't a fucking lynch mob, so stop being assholes to a guy just trying to help out.

eBay listings here