Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Double Dragon 2 Contest ends Sunday, 3/19/17 at 11 PM NA time

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:08:57 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: mbd39

Funny. Brock predicted that I would get 8th place. LOL.

He predicted 3rd for me, but on his defense, he couldn't possible account the stubborness and power that PMS brings to the table.  

-------------------------
A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:09:08 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: gutsman004

No skinny snipe? Did I miss it?

His score is on page 15. He sort of sniped in that he posted an update in the wee hours of the morning (3am) without a word, but it looks like he didn't make it to where he had hoped. Maybe that's why he didn't announce?

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:10:38 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: ninjistar

His score is on page 15. He sort of sniped in that he posted an update in the wee hours of the morning (3am) without a word, but it looks like he didn't make it to where he had hoped. Maybe that's why he didn't announce?

I don't think that he even made top 8, so that's definitely not where he'd hoped.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:14:03 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Congrats to all that played this week! I loved slugging it out with you guys! I'm pretty happy to have made it in to the top 8 this week. I am disappointed that I didn't get to post an updated score since Thursday. After having researched the best way to reduce my score, I am confident that I could have pulled #4 and possibly #3, but I had way too much on my schedule this weekend. When I got home tonight to finally make a lower run, I wasn't able to pull it together. I couldn't even get to level 8 within the rules =-O I had no idea I'd crash and burn after being away for a few days of consistent playing. That is on me, though. I feel I gained some mastery over one of my childhood favorites this week. I hope to be this competitive throughout the rest of the contest  

[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:15:21 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Now I can't wait for Santa's update!

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:20:21 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Well, it was fun going crazy over this after playing it since when I was a wee lass, but that used all my energy and free time and stayed up late too many days.   Now it is bed time.
I am sitting out this week's contest so I can focus back on Marble Madness and to partake on pure, chaste and innocent activities.

Thanks for the fun and the challenge lads and lass, and specially to Bimmy and Guil, for hosting it. I wouldn't have done it weren't for the contest, since I hadn't even touched DD2 since 2015.  
And awesome scores everyone. It was a great week with a lot of world class skill being displayed.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 03/19/2017 at 11:20 PM by Bea_Iank

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:20:34 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
One other thing that I wanted to note... and it may have been brought up before (I'm not certain). Bearcat-doug - did you know that your "special submission" high score of ~165k would top the Twin Galaxies scoreboard? Bimmy's score, if incorporated into the scoreboard along side Bearcat-doug's score, would be 4th! That's pretty awesome guys. I think you should consider doing official submissions!

Edited: 03/19/2017 at 11:21 PM by ninjistar

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:22:36 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

One other thing that I wanted to note... and it may have been brought up before (I'm not certain). Bearcat-doug - did you know that your "special submission" high score of ~165k would top the Twin Galaxies scoreboard? Bimmy's score, if incorporated into the scoreboard along side Bearcat-doug's score, would be 4th! That's pretty awesome guys. I think you should consider doing official submissions!

Six of us including myself beat the Twin Galaxies "world record" for RoadBlasters in last year's contest.

Edited: 03/19/2017 at 11:23 PM by mbd39

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:30:29 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Six of us including myself beat the Twin Galaxies "world record" for RoadBlasters in last year's contest.

Yep we're record breakers over here at the NA weekly contest group.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:33:40 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
While I completely agree that we have material for 'breaking records' in the weekly contest, let's not forget that Twin Galaxies hardly count for 'serious' records in a lot of instances. Most of the biggest scores/runs are on youtube and twitch, and when a game is not popular the scores on TG are usually a big joke.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:37:46 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: guillavoie

While I completely agree that we have material for 'breaking records' in the weekly contest, let's not forget that Twin Galaxies hardly count for 'serious' records in a lot of instances. Most of the biggest scores/runs are on youtube and twitch, and when a game is not popular the scores on TG are usually a big joke.

I believe Brock beat the RoadBlasters "world record" his first time playing the game. That actually impresses me because of how difficult rally 42 is.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:40:50 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

I believe Brock beat the RoadBlasters "world record" his first time playing the game. That actually impresses me because of how difficult rally 42 is.

It is still a great feat to make this on his first run, but at the same time, you don't break a 'serious' record if you can do it on your first run.

The players here are awesome, no question here, but the comparison with loosy TG records is not a great metric to prove it.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:44:18 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

It is still a great feat to make this on his first run, but at the same time, you don't break a 'serious' record if you can do it on your first run.

The players here are awesome, no question here, but the comparison with loosy TG records is not a great metric to prove it.

I think this year's Marble Madness contest is a great example. That top 10 is nuts. All that's missing is an epic score of 179-180k to top it off.

Thankfully there weren't a bunch of insanely skilled DD2 experts to bump me down to 9th this week.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:48:52 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

I think this year's Marble Madness contest is a great example. That top 10 is nuts. All that's missing is an epic score of 179-180k to top it off.

Thankfully there weren't a bunch of insanely skilled DD2 experts to bump me down to 9th this week.

Indeed, the Marble Madness contest was highly competitive this year, even if the top score wasn't higher than the TG 'serious' record (177,560 I think). In 2009 two scores were higher than the TG record and one was short of 10 points (poor Miss Clawful). But the quantity of high score was better this year, and it was really hard for me to stay out of it (being awfully sick pretty much all that week helped me though).

Edit : Erratum, Randy's top score was higher than the TG record this year. It was just 20 or 30 points short of my AVS top score.

Edited: 03/19/2017 at 11:51 PM by guillavoie

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:49:25 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Yeah,ever since TG decided to make you pay for submissions,people just post on YouTube or Twitch instead. TG is honestly a thing of the past for the most part.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:52:28 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

I don't think that he even made top 8, so that's definitely not where he'd hoped.
i posted "the ninjas kicked my ass"   

like brock dad/family duties taking up most my time theese days. 

nice score MBD! good job bea/arnpoly! good game everybody! 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:53:30 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

But you'll stiill make time for shooters.  

EDIT:

Oh, and I hate the ninjas. I can be having a great run up to stage 8 and then it all goes to shit because of those little fuckers. Really, you're supposed to beat them with cyclone kicks and other special moves.

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 12:01 AM by mbd39

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:09:28 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

EDIT:

Oh, and I hate the ninjas. I can be having a great run up to stage 8 and then it all goes to shit because of those little fuckers. Really, you're supposed to beat them with cyclone kicks and other special moves.

I want Willy's machine gun from DD 1 to kill them with. Or at least some ninja stars of my own.

Poor Douglas bearcat. He loses his DD 2 low score crown and his bearkitties lose their second record matchup in the NCAA men's basketball tournament. 

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 12:18 AM by gutsman004

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:01:18 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

My Double Dragon 2 high score for this week was actually pretty low for me.  I usually score between 155,000 - 160,000 when I play the game.  Somewhere saved on my computer, I have a Double Dragon 2 score that tops the 2nd place Twin Galaxies score.  I think I might have a picture of a score that tops the 1st place one as well, but I can't remember.  I have a lot of Double Dragon 2 pics saved on my computer  

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:13:06 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Now I want to try playing this for high score to see what I can do.

EDIT: Yeah, I tried, and I couldn't even break 100k. I got around 97k. I'm not consistent enough with the stupid cyclone kicks and other special attacks.

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 10:02 AM by mbd39

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:48:14 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

EDIT:

I want Willy's machine gun from DD 1 to kill them with. Or at least some ninja stars of my own.

Poor Douglas bearcat. He loses his DD 2 low score crown and his bearkitties lose their second record matchup in the NCAA men's basketball tournament. 

Yeah no kidding. I'm operating on no sleep and it wasn't a good night to be a Bearcat for sure. They had the lead at halftime and tanked early in the second half.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:52:22 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Yeah, I think the TG record is still 159k. I can usually average over 160k on a typical run. I know arnpoly and Bimmy have both outscored the TG record as well.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:06:16 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I have had a 160K run, and something like 157K with no deaths. And also a 12K run!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:34:15 AM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
scores updated!

Does the "Bea" stand for Beast because a sub 10k score is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!

Haves     |     Wants

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:37:01 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Next weekend I will record it to post it here.
It was... tough. And an 8K run is possible if someone who isn't as bad as video games as me tries it.
I landed too damn many 100 points uppers and a super upper. One could easily cut 1K points from my run.

I seriously doubt that anyone who isn't you will beat your score, lol. Nobody thought that much below 12k was even possible before this contest. You broke new ground.

Holy crap!! That's awesome.... <10k? Jeez. Nice moves.

I honestly can't even figure out the math on how you could get through the game with that low of score. Well done!

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Yeah, I think the TG record is still 159k. I can usually average over 160k on a typical run. I know arnpoly and Bimmy have both outscored the TG record as well.

So what's the highest score possible? If there's lots of people that can beat that record, by how much can they beat it?

I'm just curious to what the actual highest score possible would be.

Yeah,ever since TG decided to make you pay for submissions,people just post on YouTube or Twitch instead. TG is honestly a thing of the past for the most part.
You don't need to pay anymore. Not for a while.

I don't understand why you guys don't just register and smash those scores....? You KNOW you can beat them. Get in there! Settle all this flim flam!

The reason I ever signed up for TG is BECAUSE I could beat some scores. If people can beat them, why not just do it? It's very simple and would take 1 more step.

I mean, don't get me wrong... The new ownership and their "beg" for money with the thinly veiled "right to game" was pretty lame. But hell... if Guiness Book of Records is going to use them as a measuring stick (because of their legit history) then why not be involved?

I have no problem with people saying they can beat the scores, and not wanting to do it. That's their perogative. But, I think it'd be cool if NA could smash all the TG scores and take them for their own. Why wouldn't it be cool?

If TG is good enough for Tom Votava (rdrunner, one of the best NES players.... ever?) then why isn't it good enough for everyone else?

Hell, I want NA to takeover their whole scoreboard! (I just suck at most games and can't do it on my own, hahaha)

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"