Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Congratulations. You had 300 dollars" A question about collecting

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:25:22 PM
Spurgness (11)
(Cody S) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
I've started getting waaaay more patient over the years and started watching auctions on items I'm after, if it's in good shape, I'll pop a bid on it and set my automatic max bid to what I'd feel comfortable paying. So far it's worked out pretty good, I'm mainly focused on getting one game at a time now, priorities first, less money spent that way!

-------------------------

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:08:54 PM
Johnny5alive (2)
< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

I'm just kind of frustrated that the whole market has turned into a stock market over the years. Less and less people care about the games, they're just interested in the money value behind them.  

This times a million.

NES - 120
N64 - 94
N.A N64 systems. - 7/9
CIB Famicom System & Disk Drive
Daiei Hawks and Jusco 30th Anniversary consoles
Nintower of Power (CIB Radnet N64DD - CIB CD64 - Z64 - Tristar)

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:31:06 AM
Reddaye (0)
(Carl Baker) < Little Mac >
New Brunswick
For some people it's just a matter of doing what you need to do. I'm sure in a lot of areas in the States it's easier to come across even common stuff, and even the more dense urban areas of Canada. For some of us there's just not a lot to pick from, so if you want to collect at all you need to take a hit and pay close to, or at retail. Sure there are deals to be had, but it's usually a pretty big venture to find too many good deals in the wild.

The comment about today's retail being tomorrow's deal is 100% correct. I remember six years ago (before I got out of the hobby until recently) I was beefing up my SNES collection. Mostly via eBay, but also grabbing things in the wild. Games like Lost Vikings was selling for $5. Boxed, sealed F-Zeros were actually very cheap. Now when I do a quick browse through places the prices have skyrocketed. Those retail prices I paid on a few items are now a steal looking back at it.

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:06:07 PM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

I'm just kind of frustrated that the whole market has turned into a stock market over the years. Less and less people care about the games, they're just interested in the money value behind them.

This also x1000000.

To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:25:16 PM
Sidetrakkd (4)
(Ryan ) < Little Mac >
British Columbia
For me, I've paid close to retail on a lot of my items, just because I live in an area that has limited options for game collecting outside of standard, common stuff. I also have a focused collection (I only collect NES), which limits me even further. If I was collecting Gamecube or PS2 or even N64 stuff I might be able to branch out locally a bit more, but NES is incredibly hard to find in my town, and it's usually cart-only sports titles or extremely common stuff, like the Marios and Zeldas and Contras.

I still put a lot of work into figuring out what I think retail price is and buy at what I feel is a comfortable, fair price. There are still lots of places online to find "deals," either here or a few different stores or a lucky eBay auction or cheap BIN that you pounce on early, but I think the days of grabbing super-rare games for $5 at garage sales and flea markets for the older titles (let's say N64 and earlier just for a cutoff point) are definitely coming to an end for collectors who live in smaller communities. Nowadays, a deal would be paying $350 for a CIB Bubble Bobble 2 instead of the going rate of $500ish (I haven't followed BB2 in a while, I might be a little off on the price, but you get the idea).

I absolutely hate the high BINs as well, but they are really easy to ignore, and I personally don't think they increase the value of games as much as some people claim. Yes, it might drive the prices of other BINs up a bit, but auctions almost always finish lower than most BINs and are a much clearer reflection of the market-value of a game, since you can also see how much condition might effect the final price. You can still shop and pay "retail" and still hunt for deals, it's just a completely different beast that utilizes different skills similar to shopping for deals for other electronics.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:02:13 PM
Holy_Ostrich (26)
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: darwin

I don't think hunters deserve their collection any more than ebay buyers. Hunters spend time hunting deals, while others spend time earning the money to pay retail. Same outcome achieved differently.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:31:50 PM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

I will only pay a lot of money if it is something that is very hard to find and I know for a fact it would take years to see another one show up (cough unreleased prototypes), or if it is custom made and one of a kind. The most important thing is, it must be something I really want to own and would be so happy to have. For example, the princess twilight preview trailer ds card. It is something I really want and am okay spending hundreds for it (Not thousands though lol) with no regrets and it is too damn rare to ever find a deal on this piece anyways. So yes, I would only spend retail if it is something I really want to have and would be as happy as a 5 year old with candy.

Everything else, I try to make a deal, or bundle it all up and save money, or just wait and let time take its place and save up for it. This would mean I am not in a hurry to get it and would be okay of waiting. I like to keep it slow and steady as much as possible. What is the fun out of it finishing a collection in a year?

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Edited: 10/25/2015 at 07:39 PM by Skorp

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:51:44 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
I love it when i see threads come back from the dead when it has my favorite NA poster in it, Tanooki i miss reading his posts.

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:55:52 PM
Sinnbox (10)
(Joel sinn) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Holy_Ostrich

I don't think hunters deserve their collection any more than ebay buyers. Hunters spend time hunting deals, while others spend time earning the money to pay retail. Same outcome achieved differently.

Not sure why this thread was resurected... but, I really feel that BIN clickers have ruined the hobby for all. When I started collecting I could find piles of games everywhere. The rise of the Ebay buyer in the mid 2000's didnt really affect me, most local stores knew that the people that came though their doors werent willing to pay the ebay prices, and prices were still pretty low locally. Now stores know that if a game dossent sell instore that they can throw it online and get their asking price. 

Collection Totals:

NES: 500+
SNES: 300+
N64:124
Dreamcast: 45 - Looking for more

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:16:32 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
Originally posted by: zredgemz

I love it when i see threads come back from the dead when it has my favorite NA poster in it, Tanooki i miss reading his posts.
Join DP, it's Tanooki all day every day over there.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:38:13 PM
TheToxicCollector (59)
(Nick ) < El Ripper >
New York
I usually try to wait it out and find deals, but sometimes when I get it in my head that I need a certain item I just go buy it.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:38:33 PM
T.A.P. (25)
(Taylor Pinson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
After doing this for 20+ years I'm tired of endlessly hunting for old games. I just want to be done, so I'm just trying to get the last bit of games I want before the end of the year.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to over pay like some stupid asshole. And when it comes to modern systems I just wait for things to go on sale/clearance.

Edited: 10/25/2015 at 09:39 PM by T.A.P.

Oct 25, 2015 at 9:41:46 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

I can send you a few broken records if you want

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:20:27 PM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Local is only any good for commons around here, and even then most places have their stuff at highest ebay bin prices plus shipping factored into their local price so in the end I just buy it online.

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:33:16 PM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Depends and honestly these threads are dime a dozen now please insert next hype thread here

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:33:32 PM
Richard (19)
(Richard ) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I have never been one to mind paying around market price for a game. I've gotten some great deals but it isn't what keeps me going as a collector. I mean if worse comes to worse and I have to sell an expensive game I bought then I would just be making money back, so in that sense paying a lot for a game isn't too daunting.

Also, I'm really not into game hunting, especially in my area. Pretty much everything I find is priced higher than Ebay. I only collect CIB games in at least 7/10+ condition anyway and most of my stuff is in very good to like-new shape. You really don't see those in the wild.

You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:21:57 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Sinnbox

Not sure why this thread was resurected... but, I really feel that BIN clickers have ruined the hobby for all. When I started collecting I could find piles of games everywhere. The rise of the Ebay buyer in the mid 2000's didnt really affect me, most local stores knew that the people that came though their doors werent willing to pay the ebay prices, and prices were still pretty low locally. Now stores know that if a game dossent sell instore that they can throw it online and get their asking price. 

So, what you're telling me, I ruined the hobby for you.  When there's a good chance I started before you (When do I count starting?  First imports?  First games I kept the boxes?  When I was using 2600 carts as building blocks when I was 4?) Honestly, the people who started mid-2000s during the recession who are now "shocked" the prices have gone up now that it's over, and spend all days bitching about "how good it was" that are killing it for most of us.

The BULK of games have hardly changed in price from the good ole days, taking inflation into account. Many have dropped in price.  When I bought Street Fighter 2 from Circus World, it was $80 (People forget it was one of the biggest games out ever at the time, 16 megs.  ROM chips were not cheap).  Then it slowly dropped in price, till during the recession it was it's lowest, sub-$5.   Now it's all the way up to $10ish. A complete one will be $26, and a sealed one normally goes $50-100; one hit 280 but it was uncirculated. The one that sold two months before it was $65

Prices of games are not being affected by BIN prices, pricaes are being affected because there's more collectors, and people have extra money, and they're willing to spend more money on the games they want than you are.  If you look at the bulk of games, most of them went up in price on price charting around the 11-early 13 range, but focused mostly on the 12 area, when the recession was really gaining ground and turning around.   I don't see how people willing to spend more money for stuff than you are is HURTING the hobby. It seems it's just hurting a few people who think they deserve the games more than others.

Most local stores around me haven't raised prices, they folded.  There wasn't any money in them.  New ones of popped up, but the bulk of my stuff is ebay or bought new in stores for retail. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:31:47 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
I like how Attakid makes 3 polls, I can't vote on any of them.

What makes collecting fun?
A) The challenge of finding awesome pieces at great prices
B) The fun of being able to afford the perfect addition to your collection
---
C) Finding stuff I used to own, wanted to own, or cool game related stuff I never even saw before. Like Leather Goddess of Phobos, my friend Marc's dad had it on C64, and it takes place in a city near me where I went to prom. That's cool. And Might and Magic II, I remember my old coworker at the farm Phil took me to a C64 store once, and I bought it there. Had to get me a new copy

How do you collect?
A) I collect as much as I can, as fast as I can
B) Slow and steady
---
C) When I have extra money, and nothing needs spent elsewhere. Or something I've wanted for a while pops on ebay. And the only thing I've got left to look for is 1 stupid VHS tape, so no need to buy now. But when I do buy, I buy in bulk.

How do you feel about paying market value?
A) I only pay retail as a last resort, I'm in no hurry
B) I mostly pay retail because I love watching my collection grow
---
C) Depends on what it is, and how bad I want it. I damn near dropped that asking price of $550 for Neverwinter a few months ago, then 3 more showed up. But I would not have been upset one bit if that happens, it's a while live and let live thing. If I worry about paying market price, but saving 10% is ok with me, I most likely shouldn't be spending that much on it.

Want to know the secret of making this a fun hobby again? Drop that "I only collect the best games", and learn to find enjoyment in the lesser known games. Are you buying the games, and boxes, as games, or art pieces? If games, then try out some cheap PC games, there's some damned cool shit in there no one seems to know about. Want it as more art and stuff to look at? Buy some of EA games when they had the cool as album sleeves, damn cool. There's lots of cool, hidden, cheap games out there.

Collect only Nintendo stuff cause that's what you want? Can't help there, sorry.

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:07:14 AM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Originally posted by: Daria

Join DP, it's Tanooki all day every day over there.

i forgot i joined back in 2008 ill have to say hello sometime to tanooki.

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:51:21 PM
Sinnbox (10)
Indiana
Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

So, what you're telling me, I ruined the hobby for you.  When there's a good chance I started before you (When do I count starting?  First imports?  First games I kept the boxes?  When I was using 2600 carts as building blocks when I was 4?) Honestly, the people who started mid-2000s during the recession who are now "shocked" the prices have gone up now that it's over, and spend all days bitching about "how good it was" that are killing it for most of us.

The BULK of games have hardly changed in price from the good ole days, taking inflation into account. Many have dropped in price.  When I bought Street Fighter 2 from Circus World, it was $80 (People forget it was one of the biggest games out ever at the time, 16 megs.  ROM chips were not cheap).  Then it slowly dropped in price, till during the recession it was it's lowest, sub-$5.   Now it's all the way up to $10ish. A complete one will be $26, and a sealed one normally goes $50-100; one hit 280 but it was uncirculated. The one that sold two months before it was $65

Prices of games are not being affected by BIN prices, pricaes are being affected because there's more collectors, and people have extra money, and they're willing to spend more money on the games they want than you are.  If you look at the bulk of games, most of them went up in price on price charting around the 11-early 13 range, but focused mostly on the 12 area, when the recession was really gaining ground and turning around.   I don't see how people willing to spend more money for stuff than you are is HURTING the hobby. It seems it's just hurting a few people who think they deserve the games more than others.

Most local stores around me haven't raised prices, they folded.  There wasn't any money in them.  New ones of popped up, but the bulk of my stuff is ebay or bought new in stores for retail. 

People buying on ebay have definately hurt the hobby. Sure, I bought games at market prices back in the day, I bought Mega Man brand new when it came out. NEW retail may have been $60-$100 on old cart games based on where you bought them. However you can't blame the low prices on the recession, I was buying games for $.50 - $5 apiece in the mid 90's. Most people thought that they were kids toys and basically gave them away. Sure there were some game stores that gouged prices, but even as a 16 year old with limited time/cash to look for games I had no problem finding dirt cheap games.

"BIN Clickers" coupled with  people looking for extra cash during the recession has lead to the current crop of ebay sellers. Pre recession I bought several lots on ebay and got games at much less than I could have if I bought them all seperate at auction. Now resellers will bid lots up to insane amounts, just to make a buck per game.

Local buying/selling have really been hurt by it also. When I was in High School you could buy great NES/SNES/Genesis lots in the local paper, and on craigslist when I was in college for less than I could buy a new PS1 game for. 

I know that collecting popularity has gone up since that time, but for every local collector I know I know several resellers. In the 90's you had people that played games, and stores that sold them. Now you have the extra addition of people that simply buy to sell. Where you had a used game store or two in a 50 mile radius, you now have 10+ resellers. Resellers really hurt the hobby because they hold onto games wanting to get the most bang for their buck. I know of several local resellers that have multiple copies of earthbound in their hands(one with over 10 copies) just waiting for it to go up. I have no problem with people making a buck, but they really have hurt the hobby by adding a third variant to the mix. 15 years ago all games were in gamers hands, or at the store waiting to be purchased. Now I would guess that 1/4-1/3 of the games in the US are in resellers hands.

Collection Totals:

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:56:33 PM
Sinnbox (10)
Indiana

I like how Attakid makes 3 polls, I can't vote on any of them.

What makes collecting fun?
A) The challenge of finding awesome pieces at great prices
B) The fun of being able to afford the perfect addition to your collection
---
C) Finding stuff I used to own, wanted to own, or cool game related stuff I never even saw before. Like Leather Goddess of Phobos, my friend Marc's dad had it on C64, and it takes place in a city near me where I went to prom. That's cool. And Might and Magic II, I remember my old coworker at the farm Phil took me to a C64 store once, and I bought it there. Had to get me a new copy

How do you collect?
A) I collect as much as I can, as fast as I can
B) Slow and steady
---
C) When I have extra money, and nothing needs spent elsewhere. Or something I've wanted for a while pops on ebay. And the only thing I've got left to look for is 1 stupid VHS tape, so no need to buy now. But when I do buy, I buy in bulk.

How do you feel about paying market value?
A) I only pay retail as a last resort, I'm in no hurry
B) I mostly pay retail because I love watching my collection grow
---
C) Depends on what it is, and how bad I want it. I damn near dropped that asking price of $550 for Neverwinter a few months ago, then 3 more showed up. But I would not have been upset one bit if that happens, it's a while live and let live thing. If I worry about paying market price, but saving 10% is ok with me, I most likely shouldn't be spending that much on it.

Want to know the secret of making this a fun hobby again? Drop that "I only collect the best games", and learn to find enjoyment in the lesser known games. Are you buying the games, and boxes, as games, or art pieces? If games, then try out some cheap PC games, there's some damned cool shit in there no one seems to know about. Want it as more art and stuff to look at? Buy some of EA games when they had the cool as album sleeves, damn cool. There's lots of cool, hidden, cheap games out there.

Collect only Nintendo stuff cause that's what you want? Can't help there, sorry.
PC Gaming is great, but alot of people dont care to have multiple PC's spread around the house. At one point I had around 6 computers ranging from early atari and 
Tandy computers to Powerfull Brand New systems. To me it was fun, but not worth it. If I was a millionaire with tons of extra room in my house I would get a setup like that again, but just the sheer amount of space needed to have them all set up, or even the room it takes to store them if you just have one set up at a time is a problem for most people. With consoles you just need 1 TV, and shelves below them to store the consoles. If you have PC's set up in to close of proximity it just looks bad.

Collection Totals:

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:59:18 PM
Counterpunch (0)
(Angie Mackison) < Cherub >
Alabama
Neither. When I look at my collection I see a load of games I enjoy playing, the dollar value has no effect. I recently bought Mighty Final Fight and I don't dwell on the crazy price I paid for it, I remember how awesome it was after I popped it in and played it for the very first time.

I also don't pay retail for games, if I'm dealing with a reseller and they want to charge me $35 for a $40 game, I'll pass. I simply tell them if I want to pay retail, then I can buy it any second of any day on Ebay or within the community for the same price. I can buy it tomorrow or the next day, I don't need to buy it from him unless he's going to give me a reason to, like a big discount. Most of the time they refuse because they feel they can get more if they hold out, but often I will get the game for the discount I want.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:00:48 PM
Sinnbox (10)
Indiana

I should also state that I have no problem with buying games online, I do it if it's a game I'm really looking for. The people I have a problem with are the people that hear a game is good, so they instantly go out and click a BIN so that they can own the game. Take Jackie Chan for example. I've seen 5 copies of it in the wild here in just the past few years, it was going for $20-$40(If I remember right) online. Just because of a Youtube video and people with a little extra in their PayPal it jumped to a $100+ Game in less than a day.

Collection Totals:

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:22:54 PM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Not really sure about the hate for BIN clickers. I have been guilty of buying a game I wanted because I want to play them now. I'm enjoying Bubble Bobble 2 right now and I did not pay $5 at a yard sale to get it.

There is also the fact that money has different value to different people. I work hard in the past to get to where I am now career wise so leisure time is limited. Time saved by just buying a game I want is huge.

Does that make my collection less because I did not find it in someone's attic... I think not.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:57:54 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
People buying on ebay have definately hurt the hobby. Sure, I bought games at market prices back in the day, I bought Mega Man brand new when it came out. NEW retail may have been $60-$100 on old cart games based on where you bought them. However you can't blame the low prices on the recession, I was buying games for $.50 - $5 apiece in the mid 90's. Most people thought that they were kids toys and basically gave them away. Sure there were some game stores that gouged prices, but even as a 16 year old with limited time/cash to look for games I had no problem finding dirt cheap games.

"BIN Clickers" coupled with  people looking for extra cash during the recession has lead to the current crop of ebay sellers. Pre recession I bought several lots on ebay and got games at much less than I could have if I bought them all seperate at auction. Now resellers will bid lots up to insane amounts, just to make a buck per game.

Local buying/selling have really been hurt by it also. When I was in High School you could buy great NES/SNES/Genesis lots in the local paper, and on craigslist when I was in college for less than I could buy a new PS1 game for. 

I know that collecting popularity has gone up since that time, but for every local collector I know I know several resellers. In the 90's you had people that played games, and stores that sold them. Now you have the extra addition of people that simply buy to sell. Where you had a used game store or two in a 50 mile radius, you now have 10+ resellers. Resellers really hurt the hobby because they hold onto games wanting to get the most bang for their buck. I know of several local resellers that have multiple copies of earthbound in their hands(one with over 10 copies) just waiting for it to go up. I have no problem with people making a buck, but they really have hurt the hobby by adding a third variant to the mix. 15 years ago all games were in gamers hands, or at the store waiting to be purchased. Now I would guess that 1/4-1/3 of the games in the US are in resellers hands.

I think you may be placing blame on the wrong factors, and comparing the wrong games from then and now.  In the mid-1990s you say you were buying games for $.50-5, but think about that.  The snes libary was still pretty new then; playstation came out at the end of 1995, so satur was middle\begining of 1995.  Frogger was at the end of the 1990s, in 1998. So what games were you getting for $5?  Nes, and maybe a few early\budget SNES?  The fad still holds true today:

Games from 1-2 generations ago hit rock botto, that's generally the sweetspot.  After that, historically, is when they start going up.  In 1998-200? I was hitting up Game Express here, it's been gone 15ish years.  I think 2000 was the last time I was there (Since that's when I started dating my now wife, and she was never in there). COMMON nes games were $2, $1.50 if you buy 10+, and $1 if you buy 50+.  I remember going in there once with $200, that was a good day.   Still have a few items with stickers on them:

This was in July, 2000 from my notes.  It's not complete, it was JUST the box + game. It was a 3 year old game at the time, got it for $15.  Current asking price for the cart is pretty close to that, but sometimes cheaper (I just saw one for a fiver 30 seconds ago online) 

Here's some more from 1999, same store (Diffrent stickers though)

Shining the holy arc, $30, now it's up to $65. During the recession time I see it was still around $30, dropping a bit in '09 to mid 20s average, then $40s for a bit. If you factor in inflation, that $30 game should be $41 if it stayed the same price.  So about 40% raise in price from then to now.  Heavy nova?  Well it seems to have had a spike and shows as $6 but it's also on amazon now for $1.50, so I'll say it's stayed about the same price, OR IS CHEAPER than in 1998.  STIISE? Same boat, shows as $6, but amazon shows on for about $3, so I'll count that as the same price.

To me, the BULK of games have not really changed in price, just a few very rare items have. Like this Beyond Shadowgate, I remember buying Dracula X on PC-Engine, didnt like it all that well, and sold it to GameDude for credit on Dungeon Explorer II.  I didn't like THAT one, and traded it in for Beyond Shadowgate (And forgot about that step for 10+ years, so I was freaking trying to find my damned DEII game I no longer owned).  So no clue how much I actually spent on the game, but it was listed as $60, now for it complete, it shows as $500 (But was *only* $350 a few months ago)

Now, are BIN lickers the reason this went up?  Hell no.  And yes, I forgot a C in clickers, but it's staying as-is.  The price of this game was sky rocketing long before there was a BIN; once it got to $100+ in 1999ish->2000 it never dropped. 

I also never said the recession is to blame, the recession kept the prices from raising, just like it did on all sorts of other items.  That's kind of the whole point of a recession. But you never, ever, could have bought Beyond Shadowgate for $5, and Haggane ?  If you were lucky and got it used from a blockbuster, sure, but it and most of the expensive games now adays were never really all that cheap.  Back in the 1990s game store owners didn't know rarity, and collectors sure didn't agree on it; everyone thought tengen tetris was the rarest game ever it seemed. Rare games were priced on demand, and there was no demand for rare games till people knew they were rare.  I overpaid for color a dino in 2003, by a lot.  I paid $40 for it, because I didn;t know better.  Ebay wasn't exactly user friendly for price searches. But I did not over pay by $30, that's for damned sure.  If you look at price charting, it starts in 08 showing it at $8, but I remember talking on yahoo about it being rare in 2001-2002 and how much more it cost than Zelda, a game that I saw selling for $10-20 at most stores at the time.  If you look at this you'd notice this means the price DROPPED between 2002 and 2008.  Most games did, with a few exceptions that everyone looks at.

My long and rambling point is, I think you're comparing common, 2-generation old games back then to prices for some in-demand games now, and blaming resellers.  How do you ever know they're resellers?  They tell you that they just buy them to sell and own no games themselves?  Are you including store owners in as resellers?  And if the recession didn't have a major effect, then how come 75%+ of all games spike at the end of it? 

Also keep in mind, you say you bought games in the paper.  I've bought games 3 times from the paper, that's exactly how many times the Marion Star in Marion, Ohio had them listed from 1992-2002.  Three.  I've not seen games at a yard sale for 15+ years, EXCEPT for my neighbor the reseller.  And when i say RESELLER, I mean it.  His house has a built in full sized gym he fills ever year with stuff his cosignment can't push. Mostly dolls and crap but sometimes games.  Not cheap, but they've been damned minty.  Not all of us could buy cheap games at yard sales, that also throws a wrench in you comparing your old prices to modern day prices; now yard sales are global.

And honestly, there's something people don't talk about.  When I was collecting in 1996, I made $5/hr.  In 2002, I made $6/hr.  In 2003 I made $0/hr cause I was unemployed and stopped collecting.  Now i make a bit more than $6/hour, and I bet most people here have made jumps in income from 2000 to now.  Taking inflation into account, I still have way over 3x the buying power that I had back then; I used to earn 3 nes games per hour, now i get closer to 10.  And no I won't show off my math on that one

So when & how exactly did BIN lickers make this hobby WORSE?