Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Fixing a 72 pin connector

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:17:18 AM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
I've got a NES that looks like someone has tried to fix the 72 pin connector of by bending some of the pins. I've given them a scrub and bent all the pins to look the same, but now the NES only wants to run games when the cartridge is in the up position (i.e. not pushed down). Anyone got any suggestions for how to fix this? maybe stick a game in it for a while to bend them back, keep inserting carts to bend the pins back?

Edit: Cutting the lockout chip doesn't seem to have helped (was worth a shot, has helped in the past!)

-------------------------

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Edited: 01/16/2008 at 04:32 AM by Zzap

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:15:42 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
I always leave games in the up position when I use a toaster and have bent back the pins. With the nature of the device, when its depressed it bends the pins and thats what you were trying to avoid in the first place. Whenever I get a toaster I:

1. Cut the lock out
2. Get rid of extra shielding
3. Bend back the pins
4. Leave games up in the up position
5. Try not to leave games in the system when not in use

Thats just me though. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to have the cart in the down position?

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:45:34 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I've always wondered if it was bad to play a game when it's in the up position, merely for the fact that it isn't really how it was intended to be played hehe.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:20:27 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
The spring mechanism serves no practical purpose as far as I've been told. I believe Nintendo wanted to get away from the look of "Video Game Systems" (note Nintendo made an "Entertainment System") and instead wanted it to look more like a high end multi-media device. Resembles a VCR a bit, no?

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:23:45 PM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

5. Try not to leave games in the system when not in use

It's funny, I've had to tell my son more than once not to leave the games in the system. I don't let him play it without supervision now, because he's so used to just leaving the games inside of a system (ie Xbox360, Xbox, etc). So new gen, he gets no supervision when using them. But old school gaming he needs supervision hehe

http://slydogstudios.org...

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:04:46 PM
Zzap (47)
Australia
Main reason I'm trying to fix this one is I've just sold this one on ebay, and wanted to get it into a nice state Ah well, I can always keep this one for myself, and send off my main one.

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:13:44 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
I totally disagree with hacking and slashing a NES to make it "work" without pushing the cart down, or by making the ZIF so tight you need the jaws of life to get the game out, but hey, I guess that's just me.

Keep your games clean and keep your system clean and you'll have a well running NES, says I.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Jan 18, 2008 at 1:24:26 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
With a bit of perseverance I was able to bend one set of pins back down and got it working well when it was pushed down. I agree with Morbis, it just isn't the same when you just need to push it in and you don't get the satisfying click when you push it down.