Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Would you join us for NA 2 - electric boogaloo A complete refresh to a site for modern times

Oct 04 at 8:18:32 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Splain

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Here's the thing- bannings aren't up for discussion unless they're scammers.    I can surely tell you from being NA staff for 7+ years that nobody gets "banned out of nowhere".  

If it seems that way, they're likely a returning banned user (which in all fairness, I guess transparency there wouldn't hurt).

Sure, I didn't mean they're getting banned for no reason. I should have said "seemingly out of nowhere" because to me, they're just... banned suddenly. Why can't we know why? And I guess I'm mostly talking about people who actually have a history with the site, not one-off users who joined yesterday with 2 posts. I guess I just answered my previous question about the utility of displaying post count and join date.  

Sometimes re-entries take a while to catch.   

Oct 04 at 8:28:53 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Well fuck, Astor's out, shut er down, can't go on now.

-------------------------
SW-6786-5095-2210

Oct 04 at 8:33:12 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I've been thru this before on a much bigger forum, Honda-Tech, specifically the GDD subforum. It got bought out, new owners added ads, changed mods, started policing differently, etc. A spin off was created and the most popular crew moved over, some stayed. New forum was hot for awhile but it wore off, went away a couple years later and most of the old guard reverted or some just forever disappeared.

I'm fine with moving over but you would lose a HUGE amount of the userbase. I like the idea of getting something else up because the lights won't stay on here forever, but I wouldn't go into it expecting anywhere near the success of this site.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 04 at 8:58:37 PM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Jeevan

Ok, I'm in lol, but zeppelin, it wouldnt cost much to keep the new site going.

It may not be expensive but it doesn't hurt to have options. Myself and many others were NA supporters on Patreon for a while. Doesn't hurt to help out however you can. I myself don't know coding, etc so its a simple way to contribute. Help compensate those who donated time to build a community. Merely a suggestion.

Edited: 10/04/2019 at 08:59 PM by zeppelin03

Oct 04 at 9:16:20 PM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
O I agree fully with u. just saying that hosting fees would not be the 600 a month like this beast is or whatever the number is. I have pledged myself to help be it on the net or financial. we just need to have a backup in case the beloved site is gone one day. I think that it is a good thing to start thinking of ways to stay connected and meet new folks that share the same passion as us. So depending on the situation this for sure needs to happen, sooner rather than later so the news can be spread before the site does close and then the one guy who deosnt really talk to anyone here but uses the forum to research but maybe decided today is the day they introduce themselves will know where to go for a community aspect.

Anybody want a butterscotch?

Oct 04 at 9:17:13 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I go where the stories go, because I love stories about collecting and gaming.

Social media just seems lacking in that department.

Oct 04 at 9:48:17 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
I would join.

Things that are a pain to use here: picture posting, post history, forum search, the precious database... off the top of my head.

There are lots of ways to archive OG NA, which could in theory* be hosted on a subdomain of the new site. Too much work to port, so no more necrobumping 2006 threads, but stuff could be there for reference.

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy but I see I am not the only one who expects a problem meeting critical mass. That's my only dealbreaker, if it's deader there than here. But who knows? Maybe we can breathe fresh life into this. There are certainly new people showing up on the regular. Most don't seem to post much; maybe they would if the site is easier to use. But how many of them are coming from GoCollect?**

*if Jeff doesn't take issue --doesn't seem like he would
**would Jeff be willing to close this forum? He would still have the info he said was the reason for buying. And it would stop all the questions that he doesn't answer. That would help in keeping this community together.

Oct 04 at 9:54:20 PM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Two key ingredients for the success of a new forum:
Nerdy Nights/Brewery tutorials and news.
Arch8ngel's prodigious forum postings to keep conversations going.
Profit!

Oct 04 at 9:55:36 PM
PhearedPhool (75)
< El Ripper >
Oregon
I still use vintage.nintendoage.com lol. I would follow to a new site though if that is consensus.

Looking for Nintendo signage/cabinets!!!

I have Exertainment Lifecycle 9xs for sale. Looking for NWC/low serial number SNES/NES and authorized repair center items.

Oct 04 at 9:58:54 PM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
People say that no one may use the new site, it will be dead. It will only be dead if no one goes there and if they do, then if no one posts. As for people coming from GoCollect. Good, they show interest in the hobby, albeit possibly to make money? IDK, I personally am in it for the collecting and meeting folks of like mind. Make a few friends along the way. Maybe have them tell me something I didn't know. I have met quite a few folks here already, made a few deals, enjoyed myself. I think that if people are willing to do something that the current owner of this site is not wanting to do, I think that is awesome. I think that if NA is not going to change then something somewhere will evolve and become the next thing for the community. I myself look forward to it.

Oct 04 at 10:25:05 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >

As for people coming from GoCollect. Good, they show interest in the hobby, albeit possibly to make money? IDK, I personally am in it for the collecting and meeting folks of like mind. Make a few friends along the way. Maybe have them tell me something I didn't know. 

I have no problem w/GoCollect people. I welcome anyone who will post here. Even trolls (the entertaining ones, anyway) Just saying GC might not direct more of them to a different site that Jeff didn’t buy. 

Oct 04 at 10:28:27 PM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: gunpei

As for people coming from GoCollect. Good, they show interest in the hobby, albeit possibly to make money? IDK, I personally am in it for the collecting and meeting folks of like mind. Make a few friends along the way. Maybe have them tell me something I didn't know. 

I have no problem w/GoCollect people. I welcome anyone who will post here. Even trolls (the entertaining ones, anyway) Just saying GC might not direct more of them to a different site that Jeff didn’t buy. 

I didn't think you did    I don't mind a good troll every once in awhile either.  I think that if done right, new folks will come and join a new site as well.  IDK, my opinion.  I finally found this place after starting to collect.  No knowledge of it prior to finally finding it in a google search, honestly not sure what i was searching for.  Glad I did tho. even though it was late in the game so to speak.

Edited: 10/04/2019 at 10:34 PM by Jeevan

Oct 04 at 10:43:29 PM
User123 (61)

< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Originally posted by: Splain

Originally posted by: B.A.

Do we want to build an alternative or not?

If NA death is a given, then yes, alternative plz. How can I help? I'll start by complaining about NA, lol:

- Large signatures. Signatures are absolutely a pre-2010 thing that we'd do well to ditch. Or at least restrict to 1-2 lines or something.
- We joke about it, but some people actually care about post counts and join dates. Any reason to keep those?
- People can change their usernames whenever they want, and there's apparently some way to remove the "shades" icon. I've never understood either one.
- Of course, security and the larger issue of the site owner not really caring about it or us. Nice that he hasn't shut it down though.
- People get banned out of nowhere and we're not allowed to know why. Treat us like adults and let's discuss it.

None of it will matter if some of the mods on here get the same position over on the new forum. Eventually it will just be the same 

Oct 04 at 11:21:44 PM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
If you build it, they will come.

Edited: 10/04/2019 at 11:22 PM by Californication

Oct 04 at 11:23:01 PM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Californication

If you build it, they will come.

HAHA 

Oct 04 at 11:26:09 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
I think the 2019 alternative already sort of exists in the NA Discord (I think that's still a thing?). Creating another type of archaic forum type site sort of seems doomed from the start to me. It's cool if you would want to just have an older style hangout for a couple dozen old timers, but I wouldn't expect much than that out of it otherwise. Just my two pennies.

Edit: A buddy suggested to make a Reddit. Not a bad idea either. Built in post count (karma) and trackable feedback. 

Edited: 10/04/2019 at 11:37 PM by SwiftFrost

Oct 04 at 11:50:35 PM
Generic1 (9)

(Ass Kickerson) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
I'm down for a new site. I just kinda lurk here, to keep up with the goings on. A fresh, easy to use(especially from a phone) site would be great. Would be cool if you could bring over a few of NA's greatest threads over, to preserve them.

Just an ordinary game collector

Oct 05 at 12:08:39 AM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
I just want to make sure the new site can impact prices just like the NA effect. I've got bills.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Oct 05 at 12:25:55 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Meh Id rather just let this site ride.

Its not like it doesnt have the features Id need. I have fantasy leagues and history over here. Id rather let it be. I would definitely keep them together but the thought of losing all history for the sake of leaving to a new site sucks to me.

I dont envision another site being anymore active

I dont even have private info on here besides maybe an address on pms and my paypal address. That is probably pretty easily findable across the internet anyway.

I just ask that the site is maintained. Im pretty good status quo. The fact we have less people than before sucks but it is what it is. Still a reasonable amount of traffic.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Oct 05 at 12:27:18 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: Generic1

I'm down for a new site. I just kinda lurk here, to keep up with the goings on. A fresh, easy to use(especially from a phone) site would be great. Would be cool if you could bring over a few of NA's greatest threads over, to preserve them.

I really hate the trend of mobile/tablet sites. 

I use desktops and laptops and new site formats everywhere suck ass. 

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Oct 05 at 12:33:31 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
First off, I want to say that I've loved using this site for 6 years and I hate seeing it die. I don't know if ya'll know me since I don't post too much now. But Ya'll are great. I've visited the site daily this whole time. I suppose I would join the new forum at NA 2. Though I have some concerns.
I think the userbase will drop so hard if a new site is made. There will be a ton of people who won't want to take the effort to make a new account over on NA2. The infrequent users won't care enough to. They'll switch over to a more established platform entirely. Thus, the users on NA 2 will consist of the same handful of daily posters who are currently the last remaining people here. And that won't be sustainable once it shrinks and devolves into a private hangout for that handful of old aging users.

-I don't see many new people joining NA2 because it has no name recognition. The common person new to the hobby (who for some reason doesn't choose popular social media??) will likely join the OG NA because that is what appears on Google when searching certain Nintendo topics. They'll think "what the hell is an NA2"?

-I want to say that posting pictures on here from mobile has always been a miserable, dreadful, painful, horrible, slow experience. And I've posted a ton of pictures here. It will be great to have a new and quicker uploading process on NA2. Though I won't like losing all of my pictures here.
-You should make sure that NA2 will include your NA join date so you can tell who established members are.

-On here I mostly do the "Can NA beat XX games in a year" threads now. It would be unsatisfying and not much fun to have a very small group going after those game completions. Same goes for the weekly high score competitions.
-A huge loss would be the "AVS Scoreboard"
-I mostly read what is in new topics. And there isn't much currently. Now I need to keep up with 2 forums to check for new content? I guarantee that there will still be a group posting on here.
I'd love to read what all ya'll think.

Edited: 10/05/2019 at 12:36 AM by acromite53

Oct 05 at 1:01:05 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: acromite53

As someone who bought the AVS over the NT Mini solely for the AVS Scoreboard, it has been nothing but a disappointment. Basically nobody uses it, and most games aren't actually designed for that sort of thing anyway. Batman is a good example - my score (which was first for a few months before MultitapMugen decided that he didn't want it to be first anymore) is as high as it is solely because I found a spot I could afk. Toss a turbo controller on and sit in one spot for hours on end for a high score. Exploitables don't make for good serious learderboards. Further, having to plug my AVS into my computer to upload sucks - my PC is not very close to my TV so I had to go out and buy usb extension cords and have them strung across my living room.

I just don't see why anyone could see the Scoreboard as a huge loss.

Oct 05 at 1:09:08 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: acromite53

As someone who bought the AVS over the NT Mini solely for the AVS Scoreboard, it has been nothing but a disappointment. Basically nobody uses it, and most games aren't actually designed for that sort of thing anyway. Batman is a good example - my score (which was first for a few months before MultitapMugen decided that he didn't want it to be first anymore) is as high as it is solely because I found a spot I could afk. Toss a turbo controller on and sit in one spot for hours on end for a high score. Exploitables don't make for good serious learderboards. Further, having to plug my AVS into my computer to upload sucks - my PC is not very close to my TV so I had to go out and buy usb extension cords and have them strung across my living room.

I just don't see why anyone could see the Scoreboard as a huge loss.
Thanks for the info. That's too bad. I've been considering getting an AVS for some time now and the Scoreboard has been a big selling point to me. I imagine it would be good for arcade style games where the objective is high scores. Like shooters. Though if nobody cares about the scoreboard and it isn't being used, I guess it's not too bad to let it die with the site then.

Oct 05 at 1:32:16 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >

I didn't think you did    I don't mind a good troll every once in awhile either.  I think that if done right, new folks will come and join a new site as well.  IDK, my opinion.  I finally found this place after starting to collect.  No knowledge of it prior to finally finding it in a google search, honestly not sure what i was searching for.  Glad I did tho. even though it was late in the game so to speak.

Oh, OK. The way that you mentioned GC, right after I did, made me think clarification was needed. 

We’re on the same page in more ways than one   Trolls, new site potential, more people, and I too came here because this site kept showing up in my web searches for Nintendo info. 

Oct 05 at 1:38:19 AM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: gunpei

Oh, OK. The way that you mentioned GC, right after I did, made me think clarification was needed. 

We’re on the same page in more ways than one   Trolls, new site potential, more people, and I too came here because this site kept showing up in my web searches for Nintendo info. 

Maybe we can become friends..........lol, no worries bro. words typed don't convey the meaning very well