Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

ONE SNES game giving me the black screen (help)...

Aug 20 at 10:28:22 PM
stuburnz (0)

< Cherub >
This is a new one for me..

Picked up a loose copy of Pocky and Rocky for SNES the other day. 

The game is in really good shape overall. Opened it up, polished the contacts, put it back together, popped it in my snes and.. black screen.

Opened it up, double checked the contacts, checked for corrosion on the board. Everything looks good. Popped it in my snes.. black screen.

Grabbed a bunch of carts from my collection, they all worked perfectly on my snes.

I then tried the Pocky and Rocky cart my old YOBO FC Twin. it Fired up without any problem.

I'm a mature collector who keeps my games and consoles properly cleaned. All my other snes games work without issue on my snes except my newly acquired PandR cart.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice on a fix? I can still play the game on my FC Twin, but I'm bummed it won't boot up on my actual snes console.

Thanks!

Aug 21 at 12:42:27 AM
ProtonX (380)
(ProtonX Atomic) < Lolo Lord >
Oregon
You might have a 1chip snes. I'm assuming that it's an original snes. Serial might start with UN3.

This game has issues with that model.

Edited: 08/21/2019 at 12:42 AM by ProtonX

Aug 21 at 1:15:25 AM
stuburnz (0)

< Cherub >
The serial begins with "UN6".

So my console isnt compatible with Pocky and Rocky?

Any other games on the incompatibility list?

Thanks for your help!

Aug 21 at 3:37:51 AM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
That serial number doesn't mean it is a 1chip. What does the eject lettering look like on the eject button? If it is white and smooth rather than grey and raised (embossed), then it is not a 1 chip. If it is the latter, you would have to open it to know if it is a 1chip.

Edited: 08/21/2019 at 11:49 AM by punch-out!!84

Aug 21 at 10:45:47 AM
stuburnz (0)

< Cherub >
Thanks everyone. The letters on the eject button are raised.

It is a later released console for sure.

Given the good condition of my console ( bought it from the original owner complete in box), and the fact that it plays every other game in my collection without a problem, I have to assume my SNES is a version that wont boot Pocky and Rocky... which is a bummer.

I'll be on the lookout for an earlier model.

Appreciate the help!