Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Best External Capture Card/Device. . . . . . for NES/Sega/SNES

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:23:27 PM
Rookie1 (22)
(Pig Benis) < El Ripper >
Maine
I am just curious to know what t he best external capture card/device is? Me and my GF were thinking about streaming some gameplay, but I am not sure how to capture analog systems like NES, Sega, and SNES, maybe even Wii. All the Capture cards I see only have HDMI input, so I am not sure how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------
THINGS IM LOOKING FOR - http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 5, 2017 at 2:33:52 PM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
First model Elgato has a port with multi cable with the inputs you'll need. Brings RCA, Component, S-video, Analog audio jack and the HDMI port.

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:08:07 PM
Rookie1 (22)
Maine
Originally posted by: LastCat

First model Elgato has a port with multi cable with the inputs you'll need. Brings RCA, Component, S-video, Analog audio jack and the HDMI port.

Awesome! I will look in to it. Thanks!

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:21:56 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

Later releases of the same unit have the exact same cable.  Mine was a later release which still has the port and multi-out cable for composite/component/s-video but was updated internally to require much higher hardware and software requirements than the first releases did.  To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a version that contains only HDMI in/out.  It's still on Elgato's site showing the AV in port, so maybe you're thinking of a different box (Elgato or not)?

https://www.elgato.com/en/node/98...

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:28:13 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
I have the older Elgato that handles analog SD at 60hz. Screw 1080p/60!

Edited: 07/05/2017 at 03:28 PM by CZroe

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:31:02 PM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Later releases of the same unit have the exact same cable.  Mine was a later release which still has the port and multi-out cable for composite/component/s-video but was updated internally to require much higher hardware and software requirements than the first releases did.  To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a version that contains only HDMI in/out.  It's still on Elgato's site showing the AV in port, so maybe you're thinking of a different box (Elgato or not)?

https://www.elgato.com/en/node/9814

I have the later model (before S) and it's HDMi only.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:20:37 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Dont go with EasyCap, I can tell you that much.

Playas Guide Logo

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:31:34 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

I have the later model (before S) and it's HDMi only.

Did you just buy it or something?  I got mine in December and it still has the AV in on it, in all its glory.  Yours is a Game Capture HD, correct?  If it's an HD60, those are HDMI only.  The Game Capture HD (just HD, nothing after it) has both HDMI and the AV in port, just like in the link I provided.  The fact that you mention an "S" makes me believe that you do have an HD60, as there's the HD60 and HD60S and no HD-S.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:33:05 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

Dont go with EasyCap, I can tell you that much.

You mean EasyCrap?   

Yeah, those things are truly awful.  Especially if you're trying to use them on anything other than a Windows system.  Even though they're supposedly supported, you'll play hell finding drivers and capture software that will talk to it and even when you do, the result ends up being constantly desynching awfulness.

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:14:30 PM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I like to use my Coleco Chameleon as a capture card. That's all it can do.

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:01:48 PM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico

Did you just buy it or something?  I got mine in December and it still has the AV in on it, in all its glory.  Yours is a Game Capture HD, correct?  If it's an HD60, those are HDMI only.  The Game Capture HD (just HD, nothing after it) has both HDMI and the AV in port, just like in the link I provided.  The fact that you mention an "S" makes me believe that you do have an HD60, as there's the HD60 and HD60S and no HD-S.
Yeah I bought it second hand and yes it's the HD60 with HDMI only. Sucks that it can't take PS3 video.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:12:44 PM
Rookie1 (22)
Maine

I was looking at the Game Capture HD on Amazon. Its a lot cheaper on there, but looking at the Q&A people are saying that it doesnt come with the analog adapter even though the Elgato website says it does. Also, I was looking at them on ebay, and none of them on there have the adapter with it.

So does it come with the adapter?

EDIT: Scratch that. Was looking at Amazon on my phone. looking on the computer I can see that it clearly states it comes with the adapter.

Edited: 07/05/2017 at 07:14 PM by Rookie1

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:27:50 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Rookie1

I was looking at the Game Capture HD on Amazon. Its a lot cheaper on there, but looking at the Q&A people are saying that it doesnt come with the analog adapter even though the Elgato website says it does. Also, I was looking at them on ebay, and none of them on there have the adapter with it.

So does it come with the adapter?

EDIT: Scratch that. Was looking at Amazon on my phone. looking on the computer I can see that it clearly states it comes with the adapter.

I can confirm that if bought new, it comes with the adapter as I bought mine brand new from Amazon (and not a reseller) back in December.  Apparently folks can't keep track of them to save their lives, though, as I initially started looking to purchase a used one for about half the cost and found setups that either didn't have the AV cable or were "no power" (ie: the idiot owners weren't careful with it and broke the USB connector off).  If you're going to pick up one, your best bet is to buy it new unless you can see and test a used one in person to make sure it's not pre-broken for you.