Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Sold Out? Temporarily Unavailable

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:16:57 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
I just noticed the AVS was sold out on RetroUSB.com
http://www.retrousb.com/product_i...

Just wanted to say congrats on a successful first run if that's indeed the case. Have a beer on us!    

Any ETAs on a second run?  

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 12/17/2016 at 03:17 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:59:11 AM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
He mentioned on Facebook that it'll be back in the new year.

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:58:41 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, March 2017.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:37:16 AM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
For sale. AVS, the hottest tech toy for Christmas. $500

SW-6786-5095-2210

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:51:35 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Don't buy from scalpers! I'll sell you mine for $475!

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:53:11 AM
supercoupe91 (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Dakota
I bet more of these will be made than the Switch.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:08:39 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: supercoupe91

I bet more of these will be made than the Switch.

I wouldn't bet on it. Even the NES Classic Mini totally dwarfs the AVS in terms of sales. They could have outsold even the PS4 over the holiday season if only Nintendo manufactured enough of them.

Edited: 12/17/2016 at 05:09 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:09:57 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Sarcastic joke from supercoupe91

Kosmic StarDust's head

SW-6786-5095-2210

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:48:08 AM
Too Beaucoup (0)
(Joey ) < Crack Trooper >
Minnesota
Hey, I wouldn't totally doubt it could outsell the Twitch. Look at how abysmal Nintendo supported the Wii-U. I don't think consumer confidence is exactly at a peak with Nintendo, right now. Not to mention, them still rolling with the gimmicks in their consoles. They can't just ever make a console, it's always gotta be something goofy. I think people are starting to get sick of their sh!t.

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:49:57 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Too Beaucoup

Hey, I wouldn't totally doubt it could outsell the Twitch. Look at how abysmal Nintendo supported the Wii-U. I don't think consumer confidence is exactly at a peak with Nintendo, right now. Not to mention, them still rolling with the gimmicks in their consoles. They can't just ever make a console, it's always gotta be something goofy. I think people are starting to get sick of their sh!t.
I'm actually looking forward to the Switch. It's everything the Wii-U should have been. Also +1 for not being confined to the bedroom when gaming on the pad.

I'm buying it on day one and I plan on playing through Zelda BOTW and whatever ever 3D Mario is in the pipes and updated MK8. The diehards will buy up al of the games. Wii-U sold primarily to the diehards who buy everything, and there's surprisingly large number of million sellers.

For instance MK8 sold 7.5 million copies, slightly surpassing Double Dash and Melee on the Game Cube, a system which sold three times as many consoles than the Wii-U worldwide. So while Wii sold 100 million consoles to casuals and nursing homes, it had an abysmally low software attach rate. Wii-U seold 1/8 as many hardware units but with a very high software attach rate.

I expect the Switch to at least be on par with Wii-U, if not exceed it, and if the software attach rate is high, Nintendo stands to make money even if global sales are slow. But i'm tired of people looking at console sales alone as if it's the only metric of how successful a console is. For instance, Gamecube churned profit from day one, whereas microsoft and Sony lost millions of dollars launching PS2/3 Xbox/360 and only recouped their investments midway through each generation. PS4/XB1 would have been a similar stuation but instead of selling a vastly overpowered console and selling at a loss at launch, MS/Sony have chosen to follow the mobile industry model of incremental upgraes.

Nintendo Switch is doing the same going forward, albeit on ARM architecture instead of x86-64. ARM CPUs are almost on parity with x86 now, and vastly exceeds them in performance per watt. Also the whole "tablet with buttons" concept is freakking brilliant, coupled with active cooling and increased performance when docked.

Sorry for the OT, but devices like the NES and future "Mini" consoles will only raise awareness of NES, and when people get dissatisfied with original hardware or janky clones, "boutique" options like the AVS and NT Mini will only grow in popularity. AVS is in the sweet spot in terms of function and price, so I imagine Brian will sell out many "runs" of this console before the FPGA console trend has run it's course.

And AVS/NT Mini is just the start. I see Atari VCS, classic computers, 16-bit powerhouses like Genesis/SNES, muticonsole FPGAs and all sorts of other options as FPGAs get cheaper, bigger, and more ubiquitous.

Edited: 12/19/2016 at 02:01 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:36:23 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Very much looking forward to grabbing an AVS on the second run. Wasn't able to on the first run due to financial constraints, but I should be in a much better position the second time; plus, I imagine the new connector and whatnot will be installed already by that time (not that I was overly concerned about it in the first place).

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:16:02 PM
Diamante Loco (149)
(gblock mountaineer) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
http://kotaku.com/it-took-five-ye...

Bunnyboy, is this where you got the name from? :-)

The User formally known as g_block. Same nice guy, different name :-)

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:48:46 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: g_block

http://kotaku.com/it-took-five-years-for-one-man-to-find-the...

Yes. It was to be called "Advance Video System" and Atari was ging to distribute in in the United States. An executive from Nintendo of Japan travelled to the United States to seal the deal with the Atari executive (I forget who it was offhand) and noticed a Colecovision kiosk running Dokey Kong at CES.

He was very upset believing the western developers had "stolen" nintendo's IP since the game was supposedly only licensed for Famicom, and basically refused to sign the deal after that. Nintendo rebranded the console and released it as the Nintendo Entertainment System, and the rest is history.

Edited: 12/19/2016 at 10:50 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:44:08 AM
rcorporon (34)
Ontario
I'll be buying one when they are available again. I wanted to pull the trigger early in Dec. but foolishly held off.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:32:28 PM
Firebrandx (7)
(Wolff Morrow) < Meka Chicken >
United States
RetroRGB told me they were about to sell out, so I ordered probably one of the last ones they had. It arrived today and I immediately updated the firmware to 1.20b7 so I could use my Unsat-V6 palette. I was very happy they added it!

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:12:01 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Yes. It was to be called "Advance Video System" and Atari was ging to distribute in in the United States. An executive from Nintendo of Japan travelled to the United States to seal the deal with the Atari executive (I forget who it was offhand) and noticed a Colecovision kiosk running Dokey Kong at CES.

He was very upset believing the western developers had "stolen" nintendo's IP since the game was supposedly only licensed for Famicom, and basically refused to sign the deal after that. Nintendo rebranded the console and released it as the Nintendo Entertainment System, and the rest is history.

huh, interesting. So all those Mario Bros and Donkey Kong ports were made with no knowledge from Nintendo? Kinda funny they were going to deal with Atari, and they were one of the companies using their IP

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:21:11 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: rcorporon

I'll be buying one when they are available again. I wanted to pull the trigger early in Dec. but foolishly held off.

shhh I noticed they went back to a pre-order like status so you can be one of the first to get the 2nd batch when it's available... don't tell anyone... they're also discounted 
http://www.retrousb.com/product_i...

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:34:35 PM
rcorporon (34)
Ontario
Thanks for the heads up.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:40:05 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: AaronE

shhh I noticed they went back to a pre-order like status so you can be one of the first to get the 2nd batch when it's available... don't tell anyone... they're also discounted 
http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&produc...
Ah, man, do I really need a second one?

*looking at wallet*

*looking at empty space on shelf*

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:57:18 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

huh, interesting. So all those Mario Bros and Donkey Kong ports were made with no knowledge from Nintendo? Kinda funny they were going to deal with Atari, and they were one of the companies using their IP
Coleco and Atari did secure the rights to push Donkey Kong and Mario Bros and Popeye to their systems. I think it was a case of miscommunication. I read about it in a couple Videogame history books.

Arguably we are better off because Nintendo chose to release the NES themselves. Atari had developed the 7800 for a 1984 release but stupidly shelved it after the crash happened. Then NES launched to fanfair in 1985 and Atari hastily launched the 7800 in January 1986 to compete head on with the NES. It didn't work so well, but if anybody wonders how Donkey Kong and Mario Bros got released on the 7800, well they were "grandfathered" in because the licensing agreements were cut prior to the release of the NES in the west. The NES versions are 1000% better than the Atari ones anyway...  

Originally posted by: AaronE

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=36&produc...
Huh? that's cool. Looks like Brian has recouped the investments on tooling and molds and is passing the savings onto the customer for the second batch!  

Edited: 12/21/2016 at 10:58 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:54:22 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Atari had developed the 7800 for a 1984 release but stupidly shelved it after the crash happened. Then NES launched to fanfair in 1985 and Atari hastily launched the 7800 in January 1986 to compete head on with the NES. It didn't work so well,
Well, to be fair, I think Atari releasing the 7800 in 1986 and gloming whatever marketshare was left by Nintendo and Sega was a better move than releasing it in the toxic market of 1984.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:15:44 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Atari had developed the 7800 for a 1984 release but stupidly shelved it after the crash happened. Then NES launched to fanfair in 1985 and Atari hastily launched the 7800 in January 1986 to compete head on with the NES. It didn't work so well,
Well, to be fair, I think Atari releasing the 7800 in 1986 and gloming whatever marketshare was left by Nintendo and Sega was a better move than releasing it in the toxic market of 1984.
I think Atari was in a lose-lose situation ever since Warner split off their consumer division to Tramiel. Nintendo basically came in and dominated from the get go.

And we all know how Atari fell hard in the 90s and Sega shortly thereafter...

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:33:34 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Great news! Congratulations on the sellout, Brian.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:06:19 PM
1337bcc1991 (215)
(Brandon ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
#59 LLE is on ebay for $1500. 0____o

Want thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Sale thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:54:21 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Kevbot is selling his prototype as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RetroUSB-...

I'm surprised no RE versions showing up. Maybe gamers actually want to use theirs?