Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Take On The NES Library Updated 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:29:12 PM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I just recently opened up my new blog called Take on the NES Library where I am keeping track of how many NES games I can beat!

Once I finished collecting the near-licensed NES set I wanted to start actually playing the games I've bought.  I have always wanted to know exactly how many NES games I've finished over the years, but memories are hazy and nothing was accurately tracked.  I figured this blog was the best way of putting together both my love of game collecting and game playing into something that can be shared with others that enjoy the NES as much I do.

The idea of the blog is to have a post for every game I beat.  I'll include some history on the game, the qualifications for beating the game, how I did playing it, and whatever else I feel like including.  I'm also including a picture of each ending screen with my name on it so I have photographic evidence. 

The interesting thing about this project is that I have created a master game list that is almost completely randomized.  I started off with a completely shuffled list and then did some minor curation of moving some games around and putting some game series in order.  That sets up the project to be sort of like a meta-game as the upcoming games will for the most part be a mystery to me as well.

I'm also leaving some room for other additional content about the NES as needed.  I'm planning to run with it wherever it leads!

Please feel free to join me in my quest and let me know what you think!  I hope you'll be inspired to pick up the controller and play something familiar or new. 

Link:  http://takeontheneslibrary.com

-------------------------
Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 09:59 AM by arnpoly

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:56:35 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
Looks great!

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:27:26 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Look forward to future updates!

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:41:35 PM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
I really dig the way you set the whole thing up. Plenty to read (it is a blog, after all) and quite informative. You put a lot of effort into the project and it shows. This is precisely what I like to see for this sort of thing so I will definitely be paying attention. I also really dig the way you set up the list, the explanation was fun to read and quite interesting.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:02:26 PM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: jerbloopy

I really dig the way you set the whole thing up. Plenty to read (it is a blog, after all) and quite informative. You put a lot of effort into the project and it shows. This is precisely what I like to see for this sort of thing so I will definitely be paying attention. I also really dig the way you set up the list, the explanation was fun to read and quite interesting.
Oh wait Jerbilly likes it? I might have to reconsider! 

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:04:46 PM
Jerbilly (62)
Michigan
Originally posted by: thesubcon3

Oh wait Jerbilly likes it? I might have to reconsider! 

I also like expensive SNES games (I sure hope this works)...

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:14:35 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I really like how the site is set up and the blog posts are very informative. Keep up the good work!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:36:56 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
I look forward to reading it!

Another thing you may want to consider adding is maybe a difficulty ranking? Just curious to see how you rank things versus other people!

May the force be with you.

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:39:31 PM
Jerbilly (62)
Michigan
Originally posted by: Foochie776

Another thing you may want to consider adding is maybe a difficulty ranking? Just curious to see how you rank things versus other people!

I second this motion. But in a totally clean way. Honest.

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:07:54 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

arnpoly can beat Battletoads without even needing a continue. He's also a master at puzzle games, so I'm convinced that the word "difficulty" isn't even in his vocabulary!

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:12:58 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Way to go playa, I look forward to your updates.

Playas Guide Logo

Dec 1, 2015 at 6:24:34 PM
Jerbilly (62)
Michigan
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

arnpoly can beat Battletoads without even needing a continue. He's also a master at puzzle games, so I'm convinced that the word "difficulty" isn't even in his vocabulary!

This might make it even more interesting then!

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:41:18 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Nice work arnpoly, good read Your a damn good gamer.

Glad your having fun!

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 12/02/2015 at 01:44 AM by skinnygrinny

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:20:21 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I picked a bad time to promote the site because I don't know when I'll get time to work on the next game.    That is going to be an ongoing issue for me.  It may be a slow burn but I will work through it!

This might make it even more interesting then!

Difficulty ranking seems reasonable.  It would be tough to accurately rank games for me since I have experience with some of the hardest games on the system already, and I'm sure there will be games that will be difficult for me that aren't so difficult.  Purely subjective rankings might be interesting too.

Take On The NES Library!

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:17:29 PM
Jerbilly (62)
Michigan
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

I picked a bad time to promote the site because I don't know when I'll get time to work on the next game.    That is going to be an ongoing issue for me.  It may be a slow burn but I will work through it!

Difficulty ranking seems reasonable.  It would be tough to accurately rank games for me since I have experience with some of the hardest games on the system already, and I'm sure there will be games that will be difficult for me that aren't so difficult.  Purely subjective rankings might be interesting too.

Believe me, I wouldn't worry about taking too much time to update the site. I've been talking about releaseing the same things for almost a year now and I'm still working on it all.

I think a ranking system from you based on your personal experience would be far more interesting than if you were to attempt to make a more generalized one that might apply to anyone other than yourself since the whole point of the project is for you to play and report. I'd check it out.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:32:42 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
Very cool blog. Looks like you took down a few heavy hitters already, keep it up!

And yeah a difficulty ranking would be sweet. Also how long it took you beat, overall playtime, lives/continues used, or any other stats are fun to see.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:49:57 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
great blog!

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:05:25 PM
Kithus (3)
< Little Mac >
Massachusetts
Good read so far. I bookmarked the page and will be checking back regularly. Looking forward to #4.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:48:43 PM
Foochie776 (240)
Minnesota
I would enjoy the subjective difficulty tier.

Has there been any games you haven't been able to beat yet? Try Arkanoid for a challenge!

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:01:07 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

I would enjoy the subjective difficulty tier.

Has there been any games you haven't been able to beat yet? Try Arkanoid for a challenge!

Off hand, I can't think of any game that I have seriously tried to beat and given up.  The closest one is probably Air Fortress but I know I can beat that one if I just keep at it and stop getting distracted with other games. 

I can think of a few games I'm dreading to beat for the blog and Arkanoid is one of them.  A couple of others are The Mutant Virus and Adventure Island.

Take On The NES Library!

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:03:47 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Just a thought, since you already have a list made up, you might want to post the next game that you're going to play in advance and encourage people to play along with you. There seem to be a few threads in the Gamer's Gauntlet where someone starts playing a game and a bunch of other people join in (the Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads threads come to mind). That way other people could share their experiences and compare their thoughts with yours in this thread or in the comments section on the site once you post your blog about the game.

Edited: 12/03/2015 at 05:05 PM by bearcat-doug

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:49:14 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

Just a thought, since you already have a list made up, you might want to post the next game that you're going to play in advance and encourage people to play along with you. There seem to be a few threads in the Gamer's Gauntlet where someone starts playing a game and a bunch of other people join in (the Ninja Gaiden and Battletoads threads come to mind). That way other people could share their experiences and compare their thoughts with yours in this thread or in the comments section on the site once you post your blog about the game.

I think I will probably do this but only for either longer games or games I'm not all that familiar with.

I like the idea of just dropping a post on a completed game whenever I get it done without any advance notice.  I also realize there will be games that will take weeks to work through and I don't want large time gaps in between posts if I can avoid it, so I was already thinking about progress update posts when those games come up.  I also want to avoid spoilers on games just in case someone plays along that can pass me.  But that's just me being picky.  I don't think it would hurt to do some NA-exclusive sneak peeks down the line. 

I can't really do it on a game like Battletoads because that's one I'm good at and I'd beat it on the first try anyway so I might as well just wait to reveal it until the blog post.

Now that I've said that, I'm not spoiling the next game because I know I'll beat in on the first try whenever I'm able to play it.    But I will say I have most of that post drafted already so that update will hopefully come soon!

Take On The NES Library!

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:32:26 PM
Foochie776 (240)
Minnesota
Man I look forward to the next game already!

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:36:02 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

Man I look forward to the next game already!

Well, today is your lucky day! 

I just posted my latest blog.  I took out Mega Man with relative ease.

Link: Mega Man

Take On The NES Library!

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:46:26 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Well, today is your lucky day! 

I just posted my latest blog.  I took out Mega Man with relative ease.

Link: Mega Man

Another great article! I see that you added the difficulty ratings, but I'm curious as to how you came up with the overall rating as opposed to the "my difficulty" one. Mega Man was the fourth NES game that I had as a kid, so I'd probably lean more towards your rating of 3/10 due to being familiar with the game, but I know that it has a general reputation as being fairly difficult.