Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA Finish Off The SNES Library? - 2019 SNES: 702/714 - SFC: 70/???

Jun 09 at 7:35:08 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Originally posted by: AndyonaSkateboard

Oh that just reminded me, I forgot to post it here I recently beat Power Rangers and the Power rangers fighting game the first time playing them, and then got my ass absolutely kicked by the power rangers movie game.

I have had the movie game since new, and have rarely made it past the train level. After level 2 the difficulty really kicks up.  

Edited: 06/09/2019 at 07:51 PM by themisfit138

Jun 11 at 12:40:16 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Oakland comes back and then walks off with a sac fly (and a super close play at the plate) to win the tiebreaker postseason game and go 5-1 in Super Baseball Simulator 1.000

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jun 11 at 9:54:25 AM
squid (0)
< Cherub >

Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past

Jeopardy

Great Waldo Search, The

A very rare game, upside-down Aladdin

As well as Monopoly and Space Invaders, which I played before finding out about this forum, so did not take pictures

Jun 11 at 11:58:37 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Cool, I assumed I grabbed you from reddit. We've kind of sucked this year, but everything helps.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Jun 11 at 1:27:38 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
I will see if I can pick up my pace on the second semester here since I will be "retired".

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Jun 17 at 1:39:57 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Was out of town, but updating now

Jun 17 at 2:29:01 PM
yojc (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Bebe's Kids
twitch.tv/videos/440405718

Rendering Ranger R2 (Super Famicom)
twitch.tv/videos/439787907

Really enjoyed that second game. It's from the creator of Turrican, and it's IMHO much better than any Turrican I've played (not a fan of the franchise at all though).

Edited: 06/17/2019 at 02:30 PM by yojc

Jun 22 at 2:57:42 AM
AlveinHero (0)
(Roko Yuki Hime) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
I guess I'll beat Tiny Toon Adventures Wacky Sports Challenge, again.

Jul 03 at 4:20:46 PM
yojc (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Super Back To The Future II (Super Famicom)
twitch.tv/videos/447841349
twitch.tv/videos/447841350

Jesus Christ almighty. what a rage inducing stinker. It gives a very good first impression, but it goes downhill very quickly with awful controls, infuriating level design and ridiculous slowdowns...

PS. I'm listed twice in the leaderboards for some reason.  

Edited: 08/02/2019 at 02:39 AM by yojc

Jul 03 at 5:31:48 PM
A_Feisty_Pickle (6)

(Jeremy ) < Crack Trooper >
Arkansas
Just finished my first play through of ActRaiser

Nothing like beating the final boss on your last life and 1 health left.

https://imgur.com/a/fiOJl4B...

Jul 03 at 11:17:24 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Originally posted by: yojc

Super Back To The Future II (Super Famicom)

Jesus Christ almighty. what a rage inducing stinker. It gives a very good first impression, but it goes downhill very quickly with awful controls, infuriating level design and ridiculous slowdowns...
Finally, someone agrees with me about that game! I find it mindblowing how overrated it is. It's like a compilation of the SNES's most frequent sins.

Aug 01 at 1:32:27 AM
yojc (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Rex Ronan: Experimental Surgeon
twitch.tv/videos/460621738

What a weird ass game. Thank god I'm not smoking.  

Edited: 08/02/2019 at 02:39 AM by yojc

Aug 02 at 2:40:44 AM
yojc (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Captain Novolin
twitch.tv/videos/461110164

Now I know how to deal with diabetes. And who said that games aren't teaching anything positive?  

Edited: 08/02/2019 at 02:40 AM by yojc

Aug 06 at 9:50:12 PM
A_Feisty_Pickle (6)

(Jeremy ) < Crack Trooper >
Arkansas
Chrono Trigger https://imgur.com/a/4GAhqv7...

My first playthrough. After a slow start had a good time. Now to get the other endings.

Aug 13 at 11:18:53 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Beat Mystic Quest for probably the first time ever. I vaguely remember playing it some as a kid and not liking it. That, combined with all of the negative reviews and trash talk, kept me away until now. It seemed like a lighter, 3-5 adventure would hit the spot, however, so I fired it up. It definitely took longer than that (the numbers were lodged in my head from way back when), but it was oddly enjoyable nonetheless. Certainly not as bad as what people say, though it is hard to say it rivaled any of its Square peers at the time.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Aug 20 at 3:31:09 PM
Gaia Gensouki (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
The SNES bug bit me recently and I finished a bunch of games, i.e.
Axelay (https://i.imgur.com/ozbHpAP.jpg... and https://i.imgur.com/HGkTVWF.jpg... for my highscore),

Castlevania: Dracula X (https://i.imgur.com/liLJLLl.jpg...),

Demon's Crest (https://i.imgur.com/jaRJW1J.jpg...),

Plok! (https://i.imgur.com/BYlqsa6.jpg...) and

Super Ghouls and Ghosts (https://i.imgur.com/7x7JiGu.jpg...).

Most of these games were played on either the SNES Classic Mini or Virtual Console, but I did not use save states, which is why games took long to beat and could get a bit frustrating at times.
Super GnG was a quick playthrough on normal difficulty with standard settings and, of course, two rounds. Even though this game is very hard I still love it. The atmosphere and music are pretty unique and amazing, too. I never beat it as a child, but somehow I can get through this game relatively easily. It took less than 2 hours.

Plok! was another game that I've never managed to beat as a child. This one I played on original hardware and on hard mode, because otherwise you would see maybe onyl 40% or 50% of the game and you couldn't get the true ending on easy mode. But unfortunately it wasn't really worth the effort except for that feeling of true pride and accomplishment. It's an udnerrated and often overlooked platformer with some unique mechanics, i.e. you throw your arms and legs at enemies and they slowly come flying back at you. So you can't really spam your attacks. Also, in later levels you will have to hit switches to advance and thus you will be left with less limbs for a while, which obviously makes the challenges harder. There is also a decent variety with the levels and the scenery. In some levels you just have to move from left to right as usual, while in others you have to search for flea eggs and kill the fleas inside, which have infested your island. This is a bit more involved and challenging. And near the end of the game you end up in the flea pit, where you will board a different vehicle in every level and have to try to amke it through. Here was the point where the game slowly stopped being fun, because these levels where so long, repetetive and extremely difficult. Did I already mention that you don't have check points either? So yeah, these levels are a pain in the ass. Add to this the long play time for a playthrough of about 3 to 4 hours and no save or password system and you might understand why this game is probably best played on an emulator to mitigate its biggest flaws. But this game has an incredible soundtrack by the Follin brothers and the boss fights are really cool, too!

Demon's Crest was a game that I once played shortly when I first discovered emulators, because it wasn't even released over ehre in Europe, iirc. But somehow I didn't really play much of this game and now I made up for that. At first I wondered why the game was so short and what was up with that awful ending. Then I realised that there are several endings. I tried again, found all treasures (the last two with the help of a guide) and eventually beat the final boss after many tries. The last phase of the boss fight was really annoying and frustrating. It took quite a while until I learned the patterns. Also, I beat the bonus boss afterwards as well. That fight was even more difficult and horrible. There was just too much shit on screen and everything was so random and fast that I could barely react. Another thing that bothered me were the spells, most of which did seemingly nothing other than wasting my money. Maybe this game could have needed a little bit of tweaking. But overall it was still fun.

Having beaten Castlevania: Dracula X for the first time as well I can finally understand, why people don't like this installment as much. I bought it on a whim years ago during a Halloween sale (remember when Nintendo still gave good deals on virtaul console games?) and now invested some time into it. And didn't really like this game that much. I once played Rondo of Blood for the Turbo CD a little bit and this SNES port just pales in comparison, quite literally actually since it has this washed out look. It didn't really impress me neither visually or acoustically. Moreover, some of the levels were just really annoying with enemy placements and respawning enemies located exactly at places where they would annoy you the most. With the stiff jumps and many pits this was a recipe for frustration. If this game didn't have unlimited continues I wouldn't have bothered playing it without save states. As for Dracula, that fight was both sort of difficult and very boring. Boring, because I holed up on the right edge of the screen and just waited for Dracula to appear near me, so that I could throw an axe or two. Rinse and repeat until he dies. With his second form I had to jump around a little bit more, but since the axe could destroy his fireballs I managed to defeat him.

I beat Axelay on normal difficulty and only did a single loop. This game is also more of an acquired taste since I didn't like the vertically scrolling segments so much. I some levels you were constantly pulled in one direction so it felt that I could not properly evade obstacles or enemy fire. Then there was also an abundance of instant death traps, i.e. places were you would just immediately die if you weren't on a certain part of the screen. Something like this is a huge pet peeve of mine in shmups as it requires less skill and rather rote memorization. Anyway, after many tries I managed to finish this one loop with only one continue, but quickly died during the second loop. This is honestly not a game that encourages me to keep playing and to "git gud". Still a good game overall, just not something that I would want to spend a lot of time on.

Edited: 08/27/2019 at 11:52 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Aug 27 at 9:01:46 AM
Gaia Gensouki (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
I have finished off another two games.
Ys III (https://i.imgur.com/GIXeiZM.jpg... and https://i.imgur.com/gdmHzOE.jpg...)

Pilot Wings (https://i.imgur.com/5BsNAwO.jpg... and https://i.imgur.com/UW0N2ej.jpg...)

On a related note, does it matter which version the game is in? Because in these instances I just had the Japanese version lying around. And while there should not be much of a difference with these two particular games, there is a difference in other games such as 7th Saga, which is supposedly much more difficult in the US version. So is it okay to beat the Japanese version, or does that not count?

Edited: 08/27/2019 at 11:51 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Aug 27 at 11:50:01 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Correct

I would not accept something like 7th Saga, but as long as the differences are reasonable cosmetic we're good to go.

Aug 31 at 2:44:32 PM
Gaia Gensouki (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
I have finished Super Wagyan Land for the Super Famicom.
https://i.imgur.com/qx7tzUQ.jpg...

Super Wagyan Land is a 2D platformer by Namco(t), which originated on the Famicom. This game series reminds me of Alex Kidd: both are mascot platformers following in Mario's footsteps, both feature floaty jumps, one-hit deaths and mini games instead of boss fights. The levels can be super short, lasting only 15 to 20 seconds, and at other times they can become very long and quite difficult, which seems a bit weird to me. After all, this game seems to be targeted towards a young audience, but it can definitely get very difficult later on, even on normal mode.

Anyway, the main attack is some kind of shout that also shoots Japanese characters from the character's mouth! If this hits an enemy it gets stunned and can be touched or used as a stepping stone, but it will not kill an enemy. It's possible to collect the occasional power-up, that will increase the size of the attack. So at default strength the attack looks like this: ワッ wa, then with one power-up it's a small ギャ gya, with two it turns into ガ ga until it finally becomes a huge ギャ gya with three power-ups. And once four power-ups are collected, you become invincible and very fast for a while. Sounds familiar?

The game also features quite a bit of gameplay variety. Apart from the ordinary platforming levels there are also river rafting and slide levels. While rafting you can do nothing other than rowing with your paddle which will increase the speed of the raft and you have to fight against the current and try to avoid obstacles. This becomes pretty annoying in later levels, since you can potentialy become so fast that you can not react to the obstacles or enemies in time. Paired with one-hit deaths this lead to many cheap deaths. The same problem is sort of in the slide levels since you get quite fast here too. But in some instances these slide levels almost feel like autorunners, where you just have to press in one direction until you reach the goal. So while these may be nice ideas, they feel a bit underdeveloped and overly simple. What surprised me positively however were the ice levels. Usually these are among the most hated levels for many gamers, but here they are actually quite decent. This is because you have a new cool mechanic that causes your shouts to freeze in mid-air, allowing you to create passageways across huge gaps or to avoid enemies. And since the game feels already quite floaty, it doesn't get noticeably worse in the ice levels.

Now a few words regarding the presentation. The levels are visually quite varied and feature different surrounds, which is quite nice for an early SFC game. However, the quality of the graphics is extremely poor. So poor in fact, that I suspect, that this game was originally developed for the Famicom and later sort of ported and/or slightly enhanced for the SFC. Everything may look bright and cheerful, but the graphics are just so primitive! There are just two simple layers, no parralax scrolling or mode 7 shenanigans and no beautiful details either. It really baffles me how simple this game looks. And there is not much in terms of music either. There are maybe 6 or at most 7 different tracks in the game, so that you will hear the same tunes over and over again. Ugh!

But let's talk about the boss battles or the mini games. This is where shit really hits the fan! You start off with identifying scenes or characters. Here you are shown a highly pixelated version of a scene or character of the game and you have to identify the character or say where this scene takes place and what the character is doing. As time moves on the pixelated character or scene will become clearer and easier ot identify. Meanwhile a countdown is ticking down from 20 and once it reaches zero you have lost this round. So the whole point of this is to reach a certain number of points within 2 to 5 rounds. This gets really tough since your constantly in a race against the clock and you have to distinguish even the smallest details. And just as examples of what scenes you might see: e.g. a moonwalking penguin on the beach, a lion courting a female lion in a city or an armadillo throwing spears in a cave. Wtf?!? This is completely nuts and somewhat hilarious, but it also makes identifying and distinguishing these scenes very difficult! Moreover there may be slight differences such as "a walking bull that is running" or a "running bull that is walking", with the only difference being that in the former case you might eventually see two drops of sweat behind the bull. Sometimes it can get really frustrating since you see only a single moving, monochromatic dot! Another thing that absolutely boggles my mind is that there is little to no consistency with animals in real life. Because in this game snakes are red, lions have blue manes, scorpions are green and mushrooms blue. So unless you have already encountered these enemies, you will not be able to identify them. It's absolute BS and since the later challenges get extremely difficult this was a recipe for disaster. I basically had to rinse and repeat this over and over again until I memorized all the different characters and scenes, but even then it was difficult.

Then there is another game called "Shiritori". Shiritori is a Japanese game of words in which one person says a word and another person has to find another word that starts with the same syllable, with which the previous word has ended. this goes back and forth until of the people involved can no longer find a new word. Here you have to play this while choosing from different tiles showing an item or activity. Thus it is difficult to tell, what exactly a tile is depicting. In some cases it may be very easy and intuitive, while in others it is almost impossible to guess, e.g. "Spider", which in Japanese would be "kumo". however in this game it is suddenly the English loan word for spider, written like "supaidaa". So basically when you have to find a word beginning with "ku" you would instinctively pick the tile with a spider on it, until it reveals that this is actually called "Spider" in this game, i.e. a word beginning with the syllable "su". This is then registered as a mistake of yours and you will lose 5 seconds of your time! And this is just one of many egregious examples. Another one would be a picture of a missile, that is actually not a missile, but a "Patriot". Yes, it's still a kind of missile, but again, it starts with a different letter/syllable, which will cause you to get punsihed for making a wrong choice. And this shit extends all over that stupid Shiritori game. What is even worse is that the rules, or rather the names of the tiles, are suddenly changed in the final boss fight!!! This had me raging and raging. Throughout the game I accustomed to these names only to then be hit with a brick wall when suddenly the tile for "Spider" is longer read as "supaidaa", but as "kumo"! The "Patriot" becomes "missile" again and even worse, the tile for "corn" changes from the Japanese word of corn to the English loan word, written as "koon". And since this word ends with the letter "n" it somehow means that you have lost the whole game? This is fucking outrageous as the game just pulls the rug from udner your feet in the last and most difficult confrontation of the game!

And finally there is a game where cards are scattered across a board and each card has a unique number from 1 to 40 written on it. You then just have to find the card with the right number before your enemy does. This was quite easy and a welcome change of pace. The fourth and final game was agame of pairs. Just find the right images and get more correct pairs than the CPU. If the CPU didn't have to go over every single card whenever he makes a turn it would be a more enjoable game.

All in all this game is longer, more varied in its gameplay and more ambitious than the classic Alex Kid games. As such I would consider Super Wagyan Land to be decent. However, the platforming sections are usually too simple or sometimes too long with no checkpoints in between and the mini games can eventually become absolutely frustrating, because whenever you lose one of them, you have to redo the level on top of losing one life. And some of those later mini games were just gruesomely difficult and killed every bit of enjoyment I had with the game. It would potentially have been much more palatable, if they had tweaked the mini games a bit or only included them once every few levels. But as it is the game is just so, so frustating that I can not possibly recommend it. I would probably rate it a 4 out of 10 and that might be lenient of me.

Edited: 08/31/2019 at 02:44 PM by Gaia Gensouki

Aug 31 at 7:17:10 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: Gaia Gensouki

I have finished Super Wagyan Land for the Super Famicom.

Are you going to try Super Wagyan Land 2 next?  I played it a bit last year and really couldn't get into it.  It doesn't sound like they tried to improved much.  It's just a bunch of irritating mini-games connected by some uninteresting platforming stages.  I didn't have much trouble with the platforming though.  Maybe it gets tougher towards the end, but I was just too bored to continue playing.

Sep 01 at 2:58:45 AM
Gaia Gensouki (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
No, I don't even own the second game, although theoretically I "should", because I bought all three games CIB from an Ebay seller some time ago. However, in the box for SWL 2 was somehow the cartridge for the first game. So I have the first game twice.
And given how much fun the first game was, I'm not sure if I even want to play another game of the series. It really seems as if Namco had been cranking out one uninspired sequel after another.

Sep 01 at 4:46:26 PM
nerdynebraskan (68)

(Jackson Meredith) < Lolo Lord >
Nebraska
I just did my annual run of the SNES version of Wario's Woods.

Two-time "Beat Every NES Game" Champion (2014, 2018)
(Why isn't there an Award for this?)

Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2019?
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 03 at 4:02:46 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Updated.  Finally reached 75 games.  Unsure of what I might do for 2020, because we are definitely treading water this year

Sep 03 at 4:11:11 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: Gaia Gensouki

No, I don't even own the second game, although theoretically I "should", because I bought all three games CIB from an Ebay seller some time ago. However, in the box for SWL 2 was somehow the cartridge for the first game. So I have the first game twice.
And given how much fun the first game was, I'm not sure if I even want to play another game of the series. It really seems as if Namco had been cranking out one uninspired sequel after another.
Oh, just saw your post about my rankings bringing you to this site.  Glad to see it, and equally glad that someone actually reads all my drivel.

Sep 03 at 11:50:21 PM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
No picture this time, but I beat Drakkhen.