Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Super Russian Roulette gameplay not behaving correctly in AVS

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:37:54 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
My copy of Super Russian Roulette arrived in the mail today and I gave it a try in my original NES and AVS (running 1.10 firmware). I noticed the gameplay on the AVS doesn't appear to work correctly compared to an actual NES. The game behaves as if I shot at the left-most object on the screen with the zapper regardless of where I aim it.

-------------------------
My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:39:43 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
The zapper won't work properly on your AVS because of something about HDTVs.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:48:22 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Isn't the only thing you can actually zap the teddy bear?

And yeah, HDTVs don't register hits. The zapper is looking for the CRT's beam when the trigger is pulled.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:00:07 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Isn't the only thing you can actually zap the teddy bear?

And yeah, HDTVs don't register hits. The zapper is looking for the CRT's beam when the trigger is pulled.

The cowboy puts various items on the table on the left side of the screen you can shoot if you think you have a bullet in the chamber. The problem is everytime I pull the zapper trigger using the AVS, the game thinks I shot that item even if the zapper is facing away from the screen. I don't have this problem with my real NES hooked up to my CRT or HDTV. The game programmers also accounted for HDTVs: You can hold down the D-pad to select the item or cowboy prior to pulling the trigger and override the lightgun sensor. I tried using the d-pad on the AVS to pick the cowboy, still shot the item.

I also noticed the cowboy behaves in a very specific way once the game starts. I start with the gun at round one, he immediately puts down a wiskey bottle (I shoot it), then cactus (again I shoot it), then a teddy bear everytime. On my real NES, his behavior is randomized.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Edited: 06/29/2017 at 11:01 PM by teh lurv

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:33:26 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I see. Huh.

This is definitely something to let Bunnyboy know about. I suspect, and I'm only spitballing, that since the AVS wasn't designed with the Zapper in mind (since most can't work with HDTVs), that something isn't registering properly.

edit: have you tried any beta firmwares? Dunno if it would help, but couldn't hurt.

Edited: 06/29/2017 at 11:34 PM by Tulpa

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:09:03 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Sounds legit. Email support and they'll probably get right on this one given how popular the game is.

Jun 30, 2017 at 4:53:59 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
You got your copy of Russian Roulette? That means mine (earlybird CIB) is around the corner!  

I was more concerned about revolvers operating properly. The Zapper actually trips and releases when you pull the trigger as the game reads the falling edge, not the rising one. For Zapper it doesn't matter but I have a Video Blaster (which I refurbed with dielectric grease as the contacts were seberely oxidized) and on games like Wild Gunman, you can cock the trigger and the gun fires when you release, like a real pistol. Most homebrew efforts read on the rising edge which makes the Famicom Revolver fire when you cock it. I wanna be able to cock the gun, then blow my brains out...  

For the record, by falling edge I mean end of pulse, regardless if it is inverted or not.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:07:57 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: mattbep

Email support 

Nah, that sounds like a waste of time and email.   I am sure retroUSB sees these posts since this forum area is specifically for the AVS.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:35:35 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: teh lurv

The game behaves as if I shot at the left-most object on the screen with the zapper regardless of where I aim it.
Do you have Four Score turned on?

Jun 30, 2017 at 1:08:48 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York

My copy of Super Russian Roulette arrived in the mail today and I gave it a try in my original NES and AVS (running 1.10 firmware). I noticed the gameplay on the AVS doesn't appear to work correctly compared to an actual NES. The game behaves as if I shot at the left-most object on the screen with the zapper regardless of where I aim it.

Interesting.  I'll test this as well when my copy arrives and see if I get the same result.

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:17:15 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

The game behaves as if I shot at the left-most object on the screen with the zapper regardless of where I aim it.

I can confirm that you need to turn off four score to make the game play right. 

In the AVS menu go to Input Options, all the way on the bottom highlight  "Four Score Pro" and press A, the controller icons will change from 4 to 2. Hit B to exit and start your game.  

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:34:00 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Mog

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

I can confirm that you need to turn off four score to make the game play right. 

In the AVS menu go to Input Options, all the way on the bottom highlight  "Four Score Pro" and press A, the controller icons will change from 4 to 2. Hit B to exit and start your game.  

Yep, that worked for me too. Once I disabled the four score functionality in my AVS, SRR started behaving correctly. Thanks Bunnyboy & Mog!

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:20:32 PM
BatslyAdams (0)

< Cherub >
Great stuff, thanks for letting me know! The game looks and sounds GREAT on the AVS and I'm really happy that you'll get to dust off that zapper and put it to good use.

Just a heads up, if you hold LEFT/RIGHT on the d-pad you can target the object or the cowboy - they'll start to flash white which means that no matter where the zapper is aimed it'll hit the marked target. It's not necessary for the game but I didn't want HDTV users to feel left out for the goofy bits where you interact with the screen.

"I also noticed the cowboy behaves in a very specific way once the game starts. I start with the gun at round one, he immediately puts down a wiskey bottle (I shoot it), then cactus (again I shoot it), then a teddy bear everytime. On my real NES, his behavior is randomized."
It'll always be whiskey->cactus->teddy - I didn't want to punish the player for shooting an object...not right away anyway  

Glad that it's working properly because it's an awesome way to play the game, can't wait to hear what you all think! Please take photos if you're having a party!

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:08:46 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: BatslyAdams

Great stuff, thanks for letting me know! The game looks and sounds GREAT on the AVS and I'm really happy that you'll get to dust off that zapper and put it to good use.

Just a heads up, if you hold LEFT/RIGHT on the d-pad you can target the object or the cowboy - they'll start to flash white which means that no matter where the zapper is aimed it'll hit the marked target. It's not necessary for the game but I didn't want HDTV users to feel left out for the goofy bits where you interact with the screen.

"I also noticed the cowboy behaves in a very specific way once the game starts. I start with the gun at round one, he immediately puts down a wiskey bottle (I shoot it), then cactus (again I shoot it), then a teddy bear everytime. On my real NES, his behavior is randomized."
It'll always be whiskey->cactus->teddy - I didn't want to punish the player for shooting an object...not right away anyway  

Glad that it's working properly because it's an awesome way to play the game, can't wait to hear what you all think! Please take photos if you're having a party!

Oh thanks for that info! 

BTW I worked with Nick and he told me about this game before kickstarter.  I was really hoping you were gonna leave in that 'very random' bit when the cowboy sits down at the table.  I laughed so freaking hard haha.  Games great, thanks!

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:49:33 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
"No, my Teddy... That's it!"

Originally posted by: BatslyAdams

This is a great game. One minor critique, and I'm really nitpicking here...

If you use a Video Blaster (clone of the Famicom Revolver) or an original Famicom Revolver with this game, cocking the pistol activates and holds the gun input, then releasing the hammer causes it to fire in back-in-the-day games such as Wild Gunman. These first party games shoot the gun on the release of the input (falling edge) rather than when it is first activated (rising edge, or reverse if using low logic) whereas most homebrews I have seen that read the zapper use the rising edge.

The Zapper trigger always is one quick shot and release mechanism so it doesn't make any differnce which edge of the pulse you read, but does affect the operation of the Revolver. I sent a message about this early in development (May 21st, 2016) but nobody responded.

"Hi. I've got somewhat of a technical question for you regarding Zapper trigger pull.

Most old school lightgun games count the trigger pull on the falling edge of the pulse. This was because the Famicom Revolver had the ability to cock the hammer prior to trigger release, just like a real pstol. In this state, the trigger is active, but not released. Pulling the trigger through the entire motion closes the hammer causing it to strike the barrel. This movement deactivates the switch contact in the hammer causing the gun to fire in game.

The NES Zapper was redesigned for the international market outside Japan to look less like a gun. The separate action of cocking the hammer prior to trigger pull was removed from the Zapper, resulting in the switch contact making and breaking the connection with every trigger pull.

I have a Video Blaster, which is an almost exact cloned replica of the Famicom Revolver, except in NES gray instead of black. I would like to use this realistic lightgun instead of the Zapper with your game, and it would be fun to cock the hammer (like a real pistol) prior to pulling the trigger as opposed to a single cock-and-release motion of pulling back the trigger.

For a 3rd party Video Blaster or the original Famicom Revolver to work properly in this capacity, the software needs to read the falling edge as the shot (ie shot fired when the physical switch connection is broken) as opposed to the rising edge (ie shot fired as connection is made).

If you could pass this info onto the programmer, I would appreciate it. Thanks..."

Again, it's such a minor quibble it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. For anyone using an NES Zapper or pulling the trigger on the Revolver without cocking it first, it's a non-issue. I played the game with my mom and fiance this afternoon and we had fun. We also shot the bottle and the cowboy (a couple times we got lucky and killed him before he returned fire). Also clever how he will sometimes respond by not spinning the chamber after subsequent actions by the player. This is a risky way to play IMO as it ensures someone will get capped by firing the chamber in sequence instead of random.

Edited: 07/01/2017 at 11:50 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:31:47 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
SRR works great on the AVS, and I'm highly pleased with the results. For those interested, I reviewed it, and most of the footage used is from the AVS. I also tried running it on an OG NES, Super Retro Trio, and Retron 5. One of these systems wasn't able to play it.

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:17:13 AM
Great Hierophant (1)
(Great Hierophant) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: avlon

SRR works great on the AVS, and I'm highly pleased with the results. For those interested, I reviewed it, and most of the footage used is from the AVS. I also tried running it on an OG NES, Super Retro Trio, and Retron 5. One of these systems wasn't able to play it.
Hmm...let me guess which one.  Could it be the original hardware system (OG NES)?  Nope, it was tested with original hardware.  How about the hardware clone (Super Retro Trio)?  Nope, close enough.  What about the emulator box (RetroN 5)?  I would guess that one doesn't work because if it doesn't recognize the mapper hardware in the cartridge, it can't dump and run the game.  I'm sure Hyperkin will get right on it.

Edited: 08/14/2017 at 02:19 AM by Great Hierophant

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:56:37 PM
SmaMan (0)
(Smalliard Manning) < Crack Trooper >
Oklahoma
Good to hear it works on AVS! Now if only I could find a copy of it... (missed the Kickstarter by one freakin' day)

When I'm not 8-bitting my life away, I like to write. You can find my short stories and ramblings here: smaman.wordpress.com

Edited: 08/15/2017 at 03:56 PM by SmaMan

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:29:53 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: SmaMan

Good to hear it works on AVS! Now if only I could find a copy of it... (missed the Kickstarter by one freakin' day)

Looks like the LE is still available. $250 is too rich for my blood though. But that holster is pretty damn cool.

https://superrussianroulette.com/...

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:24:48 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

Originally posted by: SmaMan

Looks like the LE is still available. $250 is too rich for my blood though. But that holster is pretty damn cool. https://superrussianroulette.com/collections/frontpage/produ...
The leather holsters are badass, but not worth the $250 IMO. This game is fun to play with friends and family, even if non-gamers, and makes a great party game, but it is a one-trick pony. There's not a ton of replay value once you've found all the Easter Eggs...

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:27:01 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: Great Hierophant

Hmm...let me guess which one.  Could it be the original hardware system (OG NES)?  Nope, it was tested with original hardware.  How about the hardware clone (Super Retro Trio)?  Nope, close enough.  What about the emulator box (RetroN 5)?  I would guess that one doesn't work because if it doesn't recognize the mapper hardware in the cartridge, it can't dump and run the game.  I'm sure Hyperkin will get right on it.

Ding, Ding! WINNER!!!!!!!!

All jokes aside, someone on Hyperkin's page claimed that it worked on the Retron 5, so of course I had to try it just in case they were (most likely) spreading false information.  I didn't expect it to, so it wasn't a major bummer.  

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:25:23 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

All jokes aside, someone on Hyperkin's page claimed that it worked on the Retron 5, so of course I had to try it just in case they were (most likely) spreading false information.  I didn't expect it to, so it wasn't a major bummer.  

Someone please create an HD clone that's not an upscaler + NOAC (Game Tek) and isn't a Dumper + Emulator (Hyperkin/Cyber Gadget), other than RetroUSB or Analogue (FPGA is pricey). Love my AVS btw...  

Aug 23, 2017 at 9:20:29 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Someone please create an HD clone that's not an upscaler + NOAC (Game Tek) and isn't a Dumper + Emulator (Hyperkin/Cyber Gadget), other than RetroUSB or Analogue (FPGA is pricey). Love my AVS btw...  

I wish that the original companies would just create updated "HD" versions themselves. I guess a guy can dream.