Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

WATA Certified game breaks 6 figures Earliest known sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $100,150!

Feb 17 at 1:20:14 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Nm, leatherrebel cleared it up.

Edited: 02/17/2019 at 01:21 PM by Tulpa

Feb 18 at 12:34:25 AM
Otter (73)
(T Otter) < King Solomon >
Washington
I now hate this game more than stadium events.

Feb 18 at 4:50:41 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Ars Technica will be publishing a follow up.

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 19 at 11:46:24 AM
Rareusgold (3)

< Tourian Tourist >
United States
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: Beabull

Entertaining thread, sounds like there are some far bigger collections than I would've imagined or reasonably expected. Teach me your ways
1) Make money
2) Buy games, flip extras
3)?
4)Profit!

1) Make money
3)?  (Try to Keep Your Beautiful wife from leaving because there are NES games in your Kitchen Cabinets!)
4)Profit!

Feb 19 at 3:19:07 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Rareusgold

Originally posted by: Beabull

Entertaining thread, sounds like there are some far bigger collections than I would've imagined or reasonably expected. Teach me your ways
1) Make money
3)?
4)Profit!

1) Make money
3)?  (Try to Keep Your Beautiful wife from leaving because there are NES games in your Kitchen Cabinets!)
4)Profit!

baahahhaha!  that's about right  

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 19 at 4:55:45 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Wow, congrats to all involved...

Exposure like this is not only good for WATA but also for collectors in general.

It may have some downside for the games are meant to be played group, but you can't please everyone.

Feb 19 at 5:10:07 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Paul

Exposure like this is not only good for WATA but also for collectors in general.

It may have some downside for the games are meant to be played group, but you can't please everyone.

Honestly, that group shouldn't be too unhappy, because if anyone wants to play SMB, they can still get copies for $5 pretty easily, and that won't change due to this story.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Feb 19 at 5:20:27 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

Honestly, that group shouldn't be too unhappy, because if anyone wants to play SMB, they can still get copies for $5 pretty easily, and that won't change due to this story.  

But the sticker sealed game is the only way to play SMB! I demand that they sell it to me for $5!

Feb 19 at 5:23:07 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

Originally posted by: TDIRunner

But the sticker sealed game is the only way to play SMB! I demand that they sell it to me for $5!

I would pay up to $100,149.99 to play SMB.  Anything more would be overpriced.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Feb 19 at 8:26:12 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
(Joe Dirt) < King Solomon >
United States

Holy shit, is that a 1.0 graded SMB 3, like from the Wizard??

I hear those are 6 figures easy.

Feb 20 at 8:41:23 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: ExplodedHamster

Only 6 figures, nah Imma hold out and wait til it's worth more... TEN MILLION DOLLARS

I have a SMB that was VGA'd as a 10, and a SMB3 Challenge Set that is WATA'd as a 1.0

SMB VGA 10 is about to be sent into WATA to be uncased and certified by WATA to match the SMB3...

Now if only I could find a beat to shit SMB2...    it seems if one does exist it's too pricey for my cheap ass.

Feb 20 at 9:23:29 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey

Only 6 figures, nah Imma hold out and wait til it's worth more... TEN MILLION DOLLARS

I have a SMB that was VGA'd as a 10, and a SMB3 Challenge Set that is WATA'd as a 1.0

SMB VGA 10 is about to be sent into WATA to be uncased and certified by WATA to match the SMB3...

Now if only I could find a beat to shit SMB2...    it seems if one does exist it's too pricey for my cheap ass.

Let my kids play with a mint crisp Mario 2. It’ll look just like my formerly nice, Unripped CIB Sachen Games. Thankfully they only ripped “common” generics but still  

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 20 at 9:23:30 AM
ExplodedHamster (183)
United States
I have a nice Mario 2 WATA graded. I'm happy to sell it to you so that you can stomp the shit out of it and re-submit!

Serious inquiries only, pls.

Edited: 02/20/2019 at 09:24 AM by ExplodedHamster

Feb 20 at 9:46:34 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina

This is starting to feel to much like the earlier days of bitcoin.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Feb 20 at 11:10:05 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other

I have a nice Mario 2 WATA graded. I'm happy to sell it to you so that you can stomp the shit out of it and re-submit!

Serious inquiries only, pls.
Nope, I refuse to see a game intentionally destroyed/harmed for my purposes...

I'm sure there's a copy out there somewhere over the rainbo....  oh wait...

Feb 20 at 3:28:45 PM
wongojack (3)
(Jonathan ) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
Seen on another board

"If I was super rich, I would buy this . . . and open it."

Feb 20 at 6:28:36 PM
ExplodedHamster (183)
United States
Originally posted by: wongojack

Seen on another board

"If I was super rich, I would buy this . . . and open it."

I will gladly sell it to some idiot who wanted to do that.

Feb 22 at 10:36:05 AM
snes_collector (86)
(Jordan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
I see a lot of comments saying this is good for the hobby, and I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment. Sure- if you have everything you want this is a good thing but for the average buyer I think this will only cost them more money in the long run. I can see a trickle down effect happening especially affecting cib copies in the future.

This used to be a hobby anyone could really get into no matter the income level, and it is disappointing to me seeing it become a thing only the wealthy can afford.

I don’t want to see this turn into another era of even more speculators

Edited: 02/22/2019 at 10:39 AM by snes_collector

Feb 22 at 11:00:09 AM
startyde (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: snes_collector

I see a lot of comments saying this is good for the hobby, and I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment. Sure- if you have everything you want this is a good thing but for the average buyer I think this will only cost them more money in the long run. I can see a trickle down effect happening especially affecting cib copies in the future.

This used to be a hobby anyone could really get into no matter the income level, and it is disappointing to me seeing it become a thing only the wealthy can afford.

I don’t want to see this turn into another era of even more speculators

This is still a hobby anyone can get into. The retail price of a game hasnt changed in decades. If youre lamenting that older stuff gets rarer and more valuable with time, you just described every hobby on the planet. 

Feb 22 at 11:09:03 AM
snes_collector (86)
(Jordan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
It used to be hobby in which anyone could get into and complete their goals. If game collecting gets in the same level of collecting hobby's like comics or cards I'm not sure if that will still be possible. Not so much due to rarity or time, but with more eyes on the hobby than ever before.

Feb 22 at 11:16:14 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

It used to be hobby in which anyone could get into and complete their goals. If game collecting gets in the same level of collecting hobby's like comics or cards I'm not sure if that will still be possible. Not so much due to rarity or time, but with more eyes on the hobby than ever before.
People still participate in those hobbies. And people still coin collect and stamp collect.

We've been spoiled because full sets used to be more doable, especially compared to other hobbies. If your goal is a full set of a popular platform, you might have to re-evaluate your goals, but that doesn't mean you have to get out.

Feb 22 at 11:39:18 AM
tordur (2)

(Tórður Debes) < Crack Trooper >
Faeroe Islands

Anyone can still get into game collecting as a hobby. It's a very cheap hobby, in fact.

For the sake of argument, let's focus on Nintendo NES right now: Is there any licensed Nintendo NES game in existence, which cannot be had for fairly cheap ? Even the most extreme titles can be had for cheap. Some examples:

Little Samson ? Get a PAL cart for €100
Stadium Events ? Get a PAL cart for less than €200 - or get a Famicom cart even cheaper
Dinosaur Peak ? Get a PAL cart for less than €300
Mah-Jong ? Get a Famicom cart for less than ¥1000

Those are 3 examples, and there are maybe 10 more in that price range. Which leaves you about 750 more NES carts obtainable for less than $100 each; most of which are available for less than $50 each.

You can amass a collection of literally hundreds of different NES carts without ever breaking the §20 mark on any single title.

I don't know - Doesn't seem like a very expensive hobby for me...

Now, if you want to collect early version sticker sealed games, WATA 9+ graded CIB's, VGA NM+ sealed CIB's or stuff like that, than yes, this was expensive and might even get more expensive after the SMB sale - But this a completely other beast than normal game collecting, and I really doubt that people start out game collecting with the mindset of going after such items specifically.

"The problem with the world today is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Edited: 02/22/2019 at 11:40 AM by tordur

Feb 22 at 1:27:21 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
As a cart only/CIB collector, I feel like I have little to "worry" about long term. Even if the toy/comic/card investor types start snapping up super high end stuff at exorbitant prices, a mint 1978 Darth Vader figure might sell for $1500+ but complete/loose it's still $20, maybe still even in a flea market dollar bin.

I used to like reading Superman's Pal Jimmy Olson a few years ago because it was a silver age comic I could reliably find in the dollar bin or just a bit more. Comic investing madness going on for decades and Superman books from the 50s were still a buck, because the investors/collectors don't care about non-keys or books in average shape, and certainly few people in comics are trying to get a full set of DC comic books. The super collectors want the cream of the crop. A mint Alpha Black Lotus is a $50k card, but you can get an average Unlimited one for under $5k, an order of magnitude difference based on condition and print run for the same "the card". That Halo that sold is the craziest example a $20 insert variant that sold for $9000 because it's mint and sealed. Maybe this will affect how hard it is to get a 10/10 supreme example of a Zelda game but I don't see some new collector ever giving up on buying every Zelda game because it's out of reach.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Feb 22 at 4:37:57 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
yeah exactly. Loose and sealed have always been two different markets and two different collector pools. One going up or down doesn't much affect teh other.

Feb 22 at 5:06:39 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Bronty

yeah exactly. Loose and sealed have always been two different markets and two different collector pools. One going up or down doesn't much affect teh other.

There's some crossover.

Mint CIB cardboard hangtabs, and mint CIB first print fan-favorites come to mind first and foremost. Then there are mint CIB other-medium fan favorites like Star Wars, Disney, TMNT stuffs.

The inverse is true for about 99.97% of everything though.

A Mint CIB can never be worth more than a mint sealed. So, in turn if a Mint CIB sells for $x,xxx then a sealed mint CIB must go for $x,xxx times x (Usually 2-3 multiplier unless it's got more factors like hangtabs, or other qualities going for it)

Oddly, sealed super-high end doesn't seem to be effected.

A mint CIB Stadium Events, Myriad, Panesian, MBR/SR, Magical Chase, Outback Joey or DinoPark Tycoon probably won't be a drastic savings compared to a mint sealed counterpart. It will be more expensive, yes...but not a with a huge multiplier.

Then there's High-End CIBs that will have extremely high multipliers for sealed because of single digit known populations. Cases like Sculptors Cut, and Dino Peak come to mind.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Edited: 02/22/2019 at 05:07 PM by PowerPlayers