Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What are the weirdest and most unusual games on the SNES? Here's 20 suggestions

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:49:53 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Yet again no mention of Ultimate Fighter. Apparently I'm the only person who's ever played it. That's my #1
Well, yeah... I did consider it, as I actually saw you mentioned it on several threads on Reddit while I was researching for the suggestions. But what is so weird about it?
I find a game like Clay Fighters weirder. Clay Fighters almost made the list. 

-------------------------

?What are the weirdest games on NES? - What are the weirdest games on SNES
Game Boy Run: 24/40 - Nintendo NES Run: 48/48
Latest game beaten: Skate Or Die: Bad 'N Rad (1990)

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:13:16 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Svankmajer

Yet again no mention of Ultimate Fighter. Apparently I'm the only person who's ever played it. That's my #1
Well, yeah... I did consider it, as I actually saw you mentioned it on several threads on Reddit while I was researching for the suggestions. But what is so weird about it?
It's a mashup of beat-em up with random encounters, matches in a wrestling arena on the beach, and Power Ranger magic battles in another dimension, that can be played as a turn based RPG, with a horrible translation of a very Japanese franchise

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:00:06 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

When reading the thread title, I was expecting to see Clay Fighter there. It was intended as an ironic parody of games like Mortal Kombat, and it was actually a quite solid game you could play and enjoy, and had decent success (from what I remember, however in these years any SFII like, unless reeeally bad, would sell some decent number of copies (or be easily rented by someone from a videogame store)).

I would remove MegaMan Soccer to insert Clay Fighters, because Mega Man Soccer was a SNES version of Soccer Brawl, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soc... , and not a parody of it. So to me Clay Fighter was definitely more weird and unexpected to look at, when trying it. But I can't tell how much Soccer Brawl was popular in the US, so probably for the US market MegaMan Soccer was weird as well.

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:02:02 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Michael Jordan's Chaos In The Windy City is another weird game featuring a sports star that isn't a sports game. It could be part of a two-fer with Shaq Fu.

"The game played much like other two-dimensional platform games of its time, collecting keys and defeating enemies with a variety of different techniques. The player controls Michael Jordan on a quest to save the rest of the players for an All-Star charity game, who have all been kidnapped. The player attacks enemies using different basketballs, each with its own ability; for example, the freeze ball can freeze the ground and create a slippery surface, the bomb ball makes a large explosion, and so on. The player must find keys throughout the game to unlock different doors and rescue teammates. Michael can also slam dunk for a secondary attack. This is also used to activate powerup baskets and various checkpoints along the way."

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 01/14/2017 at 04:03 PM by mbd39

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:59:55 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
I think the MACS "games" deserve a mention. I can't be the only one who thinks it's completely insane that the US army trained actual troops with a Super Nintendo and converted M16 light gun.

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:41:11 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Just wanna throw it out there that Super Solitaire doesn't just have vanilla Solitaire that we have all played. It has about 15 different solitaire variants so if you're into that it can hold your attention for a long time. I have never used the mouse but the input is very smooth with a regular controller. Recently when playtesting it to see if it was worth keeping I ended up playing for like two hours....it went right back on the collection shelf when I was done. (I still agree it's WTF and deserves to be on this list).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:50:39 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >

It's a mashup of beat-em up with random encounters, matches in a wrestling arena on the beach, and Power Ranger magic battles in another dimension, that can be played as a turn based RPG, with a horrible translation of a very Japanese franchise

Wow. Yeah, that sounds like a candidate then. I just watched some clips and some pictures and it looked like another fighting game, but that sounds pretty interesting. 

User: Yeah, you are right. Clay Fighter was supposed to be the 20th game(there's only 19 now, plus the bonus games). I for some reason forgot it, and got lazy when I noticed it(sat all morning just trying to figure out the awkward controls of posting this thing) but I'll add it later probably. Even if Mega Man Soccer is based on something I find the concept a bit absurd to put Mega Man in a soccer game. Especially when you consider how much Capcom has milked that concept already. On the flipside though I realize putting Mario in a go-kart game could be compared as a bit random too. 

Mbd39: Yes, my first draft of the list included "Michael Jordan's Chaos In The Windy City". The strangest thing about it is that Michael Jordan has unlimited basketballs he can shoot at enemies, and seeing him throwing endless basketballs like a machinegun looks ridiculous... And of course just him being in a platformer. I wasn't sure how crazy it was besides that though, especially since this was around the time he appeared in Space Jam and everything, so it was replaced by another entry. Related: I also had "Rap Jam: Volume 1" on the list earlier. A basketball game where you play as old 90s rappers like Coolio, Warren G and so on. Pretty weird concept too, but I don't know how strange the game is otherwise. Looks like a pretty normal basketball game from clips/pictures I've seen, but I'll admit I haven't played it myself. 

MACS and SOS I have to check out. Super Solitaire, yes I understood there's some variations there, but I still found the idea of porting solitaire to a console a bit 'wtf'. 

Edited: 01/14/2017 at 09:16 PM by Svankmajer

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:59:05 PM
kamakaze_ekun (5)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Super Alfred Chicken. How this game ever made it past the drawing board let alone made into a game is strange in itself.

WHAT AM I SEEKING NOW???
PC Engine with video cable, power supply and controller. Looking to spend $100 to have this console in my collection.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:25:57 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: bronzeshield

I didn't expect the comments to be weirder than the games. Well, thats cool.
That got an actual LOL from me.   With affection for all involved, of course.

As for weird games on the SNES, Drakkhen has to be in the mix somewhere. The stars (i.e. constellations) themselves attack you! Giant evil panther heads appear in the midst of desolate plains! Bosses sound like they've got the dry heaves! And much of the music sounds like it was written by Brian Eno in his Music for Airports phase, at least at night.

I'm sure there are Japanese exclusives that get even stranger. We need more deep mining of the Super Famicom library for sure.  
YES lol.

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Chou Aniki is love. Chou Aniki is life.  
You made my day yesterday with your posts, Bea lol.

Originally posted by: mbd39

"Besides the gay bodybuilders, there's also a playable character this mix of a submarine and a woman.. with some muscular passengers on board!"

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fjs..." width="500">>

...So, an awesome game? LOL  

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:15:11 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Chou Aniki is love. Chou Aniki is life.  
You made my day yesterday with your posts, Bea lol.
Glad to hear. lol
I just love Chou Aniki so, so much. It is so random and gay and it being body building themed only makes it better.  
Makes me wonder why they weren't ported to the west. I would have loved it even more if I had access to it when I was a 14 years young lass.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:33:34 AM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
I think there's a deeper spiritual philosophy within Chou Aniki, and that is that the very peak of all masculinity is the concept of 'flamboyantly gay'. In both senses of the word 'gay' that is.

After thinking about it I'll concede the game makes a good case too. I don't believe the concept of straight males makes a whole lot of sense anymore after experiencing that game. Its really a game that re-news ones view of everything. Pretty neat.