Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Pixel Aspect

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:43:26 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: Ozzy_98

Wow, it's like what's his butt was reincarnated. 
Nope, I am still here. Now that NA mods have conveniently grouped all of the AVS related threads together, they are easier to find!  

By what's his butt I meant Patrick but couldn't remember his name

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:31:21 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia

Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Wow, it's like what's his butt was reincarnated. Wish I could remember his name.
I don't have an AVS, have no real use in it with my complex setups, but still want one.

When dealing with TVs, I like to think of logical and physical pixels. In this case, you have the physical pixels of your most likely 1920x1080 pixel screen. Everything must be stretched to this.
For logical pixels, you have the logical pixels the TV has, which if the AVS is outputting 1080p should match the AVS, and you have the internal nes logical pixels, 256x240. 1920/256 is 7.5 so the math there is a bit off. Part of that is because the nes kinda doesn't use 256 for the res, it's more of a 280 res, where you can only edit 256 pixels in the middle. And not even dead center in the middle. 1920/280 gives about 6.85, so you can see where matching up the signal is a pain.

Part of the issue, like I said, is the nes puts out 280 for the signal, but some of that is border\filler, only the 256 pixels are usable. And even then they have junk on the edge. And back in the day, TVs varied in aspect ratios. A LOT. Many TVs had over scann issues. But now we have nice, digital panels, with "hard coded" 1920x1080 panels, so there should be no overscan issues, right?

Wrong. TVs still have overscan problems. When you see a bunch of TVs playing in walmart, TV makers know if they put a bit of overscan on their TV, it'll make the picture bigger. If you watch a news cast on there, you'll generally be fooled into thinking the one with the announcer looking bigger would be the better TV. My plasma from 2004, while I loved it dearly, has overscan issues, 3%. My CRT has about 12%, I can't see life bars in Zelda 2. This overscan issue will also mess with pixel ratios like you're seeing, so you might want to check into that too.

The reasons TVs still simulate overscan is because some local broadcasts have garbage around the edges of the screen. Also, throwing out the edges gives the image processor some room to work with.

I find mine a bit more likely honestly, otherwise it would most likely be adjustable and set standard in the factory.

In 2007 my friend got his first 1080p TV and I showed up with my PlayStation 3 and Audio/Video Essentials calibration Blu-Ray disc. The conclusion? No way to get 1:1 pixels or eliminate overscan with a 1080p source and a 1080p-native panel. This is when FullHD 1080 Blu-Ray and TV sets had only been opushed for a matter of months (since Blu-Ray players the previous summer and PS3 the previous fall). Ichinisan's logic is the only one I can think of that explains this, even though I still think it's inexcusable to not have the option to turn it off. My theory is that Ichinisan's logic explains it as a default but something else explains why the setting would be forced, like a panel manufacturer who also makes TVs only agreeing to sell to a house brand if they do something to neuter the TV in comparison (it was an Insignia brand).

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:43:33 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: CZroe

I find mine a bit more likely honestly, otherwise it would most likely be adjustable and set standard in the factory.

In 2007 my friend got his first 1080p TV and I showed up with my PlayStation 3 and Audio/Video Essentials calibration Blu-Ray disc. The conclusion? No way to get 1:1 pixels or eliminate overscan with a 1080p source and a 1080p-native panel. This is when FullHD 1080 Blu-Ray and TV sets had only been opushed for a matter of months (since Blu-Ray players the previous summer and PS3 the previous fall). Ichinisan's logic is the only one I can think of that explains this, even though I still think it's inexcusable to not have the option to turn it off. My theory is that Ichinisan's logic explains it as a default but something else explains why the setting would be forced, like a panel manufacturer who also makes TVs only agreeing to sell to a house brand if they do something to neuter the TV in comparison (it was an Insignia brand).
Overscan got it's roots back in the analog days because it was impossible to permanently set the picture to fill the tube without cropping the borders. VHS and other analog recording mediums did have some nasty artifacts on the borders of the usable picture, but in modern all-digital media such as DVD and BluRay, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for displays to still have overscan built in on digital inputs. Ideally HDTVs should only use overscan on analog or digital 480i/p standard definition inputs. Anyone who's ever plugged a PC into an HDTV and used something other than native pixel display resolution would have major problems as the start menu and task bars get cropped off, making the system borderline unusable. Also there's no good reason for a 1080 native display not to display a 1080 signal at native 1:1 pixel aspect.

There is no good reason to continue the trend of overscan on modern displays, especially 1080p native. 4k TVs seem to be bucking the trend fortunately. One reason why I insist on using 1080p native PC monitors for my HD video game consoles. No overscan, no laggy image processing filters, extremely low latency, and accept most non-standard resolutions and refresh rates. All of the top ranking panels on displaylag.com are PC monitors. Coincidence? I think not. The one downside is because PC monitors were meant to be used at a desk rather than a living room arrangement, they tend to be a bit small. There is no option for larger displays beyond 27 inches or so. You can't simply pick up a 40" gaming monitor, though someone did mention a 1440x2560 IPS monitor with perfect color reproduction which IMO sounds like the perfect HD gaming display.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:06:55 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Overscan got it's roots back in the analog days because it was impossible to permanently set the picture to fill the tube without cropping the borders. VHS and other analog recording mediums did have some nasty artifacts on the borders of the usable picture, but in modern all-digital media such as DVD and BluRay, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for displays to still have overscan built in on digital inputs. Ideally HDTVs should only use overscan on analog or digital 480i/p standard definition inputs. Anyone who's ever plugged a PC into an HDTV and used something other than native pixel display resolution would have major problems as the start menu and task bars get cropped off, making the system borderline unusable. Also there's no good reason for a 1080 native display not to display a 1080 signal at native 1:1 pixel aspect.

There is no good reason to continue the trend of overscan on modern displays, especially 1080p native. 4k TVs seem to be bucking the trend fortunately. One reason why I insist on using 1080p native PC monitors for my HD video game consoles. No overscan, no laggy image processing filters, extremely low latency, and accept most non-standard resolutions and refresh rates. All of the top ranking panels on displaylag.com are PC monitors. Coincidence? I think not. The one downside is because PC monitors were meant to be used at a desk rather than a living room arrangement, they tend to be a bit small. There is no option for larger displays beyond 27 inches or so. You can't simply pick up a 40" gaming monitor, though someone did mention a 1440x2560 IPS monitor with perfect color reproduction which IMO sounds like the perfect HD gaming display.

It was sad to see hundreds of people online excoriating Nintendo when Super Mario Bros. 3 was released for Wii Virtual Console. They swore the original did not have that garbage at the sides of the screen. They didn't understand it was always there, but old TVs wouldn't display it.

My nephew has a not-very-old 1080p Sony LCD that has no way to turn-off overscan. When doing AirPlay from an iPhone 6 Plus to an Apple TV, it's basically losing detail and adding latency with the video processing required to compensate. Instead of just displaying 1920x1080, the phone screen is shrunken to a smaller resolution (detail is lost), then the smaller image is blown-up to fill a panel that's natively 1920x1080. It's just silly.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:07:57 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

Yes, overscan with analog signals was a necessity because as a CRT experienced age/wear the image would gradually shrink and expose more around the edges... but that doesn't explain why it's still around today. I'm trying to theorize about why they continued having overscan in the era of 720p/1080i/1080p-native displays.

If you view local broadcast stations in full-pixel mode many HDTVs will show artifacts on the extreme top or bottom of the image. It looks like a black bar with white blocks appearing and disappearing rapidly as if there is some data encoded there that you aren't supposed to see. When HDTV broadcasts were standardized they were standardized for CRTs that still had overscan. This also caused a problem with color reproduction from MPEG2 studio equipment and the DLP/LCOS/plasma HDTVs that came soon after (and then LCD even later). The last time I saw these artifacts were around 2010 but I can't say that I'm checked to see if they are still present.

Edited: 10/09/2016 at 08:09 PM by CZroe

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:23:15 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

It was sad to see hundreds of people online excoriating Nintendo when Super Mario Bros. 3 was released for Wii Virtual Console. They swore the original did not have that garbage at the sides of the screen. They didn't understand it was always there, but old TVs wouldn't display it.

My nephew has a not-very-old 1080p Sony LCD that has no way to turn-off overscan. When doing AirPlay from an iPhone 6 Plus to an Apple TV, it's basically losing detail and adding latency with the video processing required to compensate. Instead of just displaying 1920x1080, the phone screen is shrunken to a smaller resolution (detail is lost), then the smaller image is blown-up to fill a panel that's natively 1920x1080. It's just silly.
I wanna see all those NES artifacts, warts and all, including the glitched scrolling on the first and last 8 pixels in Castlevania III. Better yet, Brian should even offer an otion to display underscan on the sides. This displays a number of pixels beyond the bounds of the image which match the PPU background color on the current scanline. I can see these artifacts on 720x480 raw composite capture. It would be cool to reproduce this effect if possible but I'm probably a minority on this.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:36:29 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

Yes, overscan with analog signals was a necessity because as a CRT experienced age/wear the image would gradually shrink and expose more around the edges... but that doesn't explain why it's still around today. I'm trying to theorize about why they continued having overscan in the era of 720p/1080i/1080p-native displays.

As a guy who used to hang out at an RCA shop when Selectavisions were supposed to replace VCRs, I can tell you exactly why.  As a matter of fact, I already did.  Back then, it was implied in shop manuals to adjust the over scan higher on the model you wished to sell more of, causing the picture to look larger than its screen size really was.  For RCA it was a way to move product.  In modern days, they set a TV to 3% over scan, and the picture on a 42" looks larger than the 42" around it, and people are tricked into thinking it's a bigger screen than it is. They compare stuff in the center of the screen to stuff in the center of other TVs, and see ones larger than the other. The other reasons would be due to some content providers still fucking shit up with having CC info visable, SAP artifaces, or just garbage. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:06:10 AM
CZroe (31)
Georgia

As a guy who used to hang out at an RCA shop when Selectavisions were supposed to replace VCRs, I can tell you exactly why.  As a matter of fact, I already did.  Back then, it was implied in shop manuals to adjust the over scan higher on the model you wished to sell more of, causing the picture to look larger than its screen size really was.  For RCA it was a way to move product.  In modern days, they set a TV to 3% over scan, and the picture on a 42" looks larger than the 42" around it, and people are tricked into thinking it's a bigger screen than it is. They compare stuff in the center of the screen to stuff in the center of other TVs, and see ones larger than the other. The other reasons would be due to some content providers still fucking shit up with having CC info visable, SAP artifaces, or just garbage. 
Still, the showroom scenario explains why it would be a default setting and another reason why they might add it to a modern TV, but not why they would consider it important enough to go out of their way to block users from disabling it. Conforming to HDTV broadcast standards that were engineered around a CRT with overscan makes more sense.

Unlike the CRTs where it had to be a semi-permanent adjustment setting, they went out of the way to add it to modern TVs in a way that you often can't disable it. It's not like it doesn't cause problems: Even when the source resolution matches the display's native resolution it causes scaling artifacts very much like the ones being talked about in this thread. The moiré effect visible on test patterns is very revealing!

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:27:23 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Overscan isn't really a TV issue as it is a creator issue. Since the people still making content continue to use overscan - for lord knows what reason - TVs will continue to use it also. Regardless, pretty much every TV in the last several years has an option to turn overscan off. Shouldn't be much of an issue.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:41:10 AM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: Synapse

Overscan isn't really a TV issue as it is a creator issue. Since the people still making content continue to use overscan - for lord knows what reason - TVs will continue to use it also. Regardless, pretty much every TV in the last several years has an option to turn overscan off. Shouldn't be much of an issue.
Strange, because when BD launched I couldn't see the menus on the majority of movies I tried on my XBR910/XBR960 CRT.   That was the main reason I bought my $5K 1080p XBR2 LCD a few months later. These CRTs were very recent HDTV models when BD launched.

Because it was never a broadcast standard, I don't think 1080p content is generally made with overscan in mind, especially at the relatively minor ~3% you get on modern sets. HDTV broadcasts, STB, and UIs (videogames included), on the other hand, have to be. A mirroring/screen casting device without overscan compensation has a limited market.

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:35:47 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia

Lots of TVs make it difficult or impossible to disable simulated overscan. I feel it's done intentionally to differentiate the cheap sets from the pricey ones.

Edited: 10/10/2016 at 12:36 PM by Ichinisan

Oct 10, 2016 at 12:52:29 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States

Lots of TVs make it difficult or impossible to disable simulated overscan. I feel it's done intentionally to differentiate the cheap sets from the pricey ones.

Every TV has an option to turn it off, even my low end 40" Samsung. I can agree that it can be difficult to find/understand for the average user. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:20:37 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

Every TV has an option to turn it off, even my low end 40" Samsung. I can agree that it can be difficult to find/understand for the average user. 
No, trust me, they do not.  I'm not your average user, and I only have one set it could be adjusted on (My newest one, the 70"), and one I've not checked.  Including by taking it apart, they are non-adjustable.  There's no hidden menus, no pot inside to adjust it, nothing. Not sure on my LCD projection, it's a sony and they normally have robust service menus.  

Heck, people never believe me when I tell them my plasma is a natice 1024x1024 panel.  That's not a mistake, the panel is 1024x1024 pixels.  It's an Akai from 2002(? Could be as late as 2006)

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:57:08 PM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States

No, trust me, they do not.  I'm not your average user, and I only have one set it could be adjusted on (My newest one, the 70"), and one I've not checked.  Including by taking it apart, they are non-adjustable.  There's no hidden menus, no pot inside to adjust it, nothing. Not sure on my LCD projection, it's a sony and they normally have robust service menus.  

Heck, people never believe me when I tell them my plasma is a natice 1024x1024 panel.  That's not a mistake, the panel is 1024x1024 pixels.  It's an Akai from 2002(? Could be as late as 2006)

How old of TVs are we talking here? I'm talking TVs made in the last 5ish years. I wasn't referring to old LCD projections (not to be confused with FALD) or old plasmas.

I've owned dozens of TVs from every "name" brand out there in that time, from budget to high end models. I can only think of one Panasonic that I had where I couldn't find it. The rest were adjustable. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:11:38 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio

How old of TVs are we talking here? I'm talking TVs made in the last 5ish years. I wasn't referring to old LCD projections (not to be confused with FALD) or old plasmas.

I've owned dozens of TVs from every "name" brand out there in that time, from budget to high end models. I can only think of one Panasonic that I had where I couldn't find it. The rest were adjustable. 

Older than that on the bulk of them.  I have 3 now that I think about it that I need to check, they're the newest ones.  I know our sceptre I made sure to buy a 42" because the 32" had overscan issues and no way to adjust them, while it was an option via service menu in the 42". 

I own way too many TVs.  Come to think of it, wife said the same thing as she caught me hanging a 42" in the bathroom. 

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:20:03 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Cheap LCDs, new and old, since the advent of LCDHDTVs. Even within the same brand, like Sony, their cheaper models will not have the option where the higher-end models do. If anything, it seems to be left out more often today than in the past since they have become so much cheaper.

They'll be labeled various things like "Full Pixel" or "1:1" or "PC Mode." Don't expect to find it on a Black Friday special.  

Edited: 10/10/2016 at 03:23 PM by CZroe

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:35:41 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
I've worked for a cable company 12 years and have dealt with more TVs than most of you will ever see. Since big-screen LCD TVs first started catching on, many TVs just don't have the option to disable overscan.

Sony calls it "Full Pixel"

Samsung calls it "Just Scan"

Some others say "pixel-by-pixel" or "1:1"

My KDL-52XBR2 is one of the oldest 1080P TVs. It's from around the time when LCD technology was just starting to be used. The picture quality is junk compared to plasma or CRTs of the same period, but the novelty of a 52" flat panel LCD at that time was worth $5k-$6k. Getting to the point: That old TV has the option to disable overscan ("full pixel"). My nephew's much newer Sony does not have any option to disable overscan. I wasted a *lot* of time looking for it.

Edited: 10/10/2016 at 02:36 PM by Ichinisan

Oct 10, 2016 at 6:47:23 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
All of this overscan and lag bs is the reason why I game strictly on a PC monitor. But I would like something bigger than the 23" that I have now. I have never seen a PC monitor that ever exhibited overscan issues. The analog models were adjustable picture controls and the digital models scale automatically. The vast majority of PC operating systems, Windows, MacOSX, or Linux, would be completely broken on a display that exhibited overscan. Just try plugging a PC into an HDTV with overscan issues. You will not be able to see the status bars or navigate the start menu, or close a window that's been maximized.

Do they make 40" 1080p PC monitors? I have not seen anything above 27 inches except for some rather expensive and exotic UHD stuff, some of which is Display Port only. And the 1080p ASUS models have an insanely low ~8-9ms of lag. You cannot beat that with any HDTV display.

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:02:20 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
I have a 10+ year old 55" Sony LCD projection. AVS looks and sounds great on it with no noticeable lag.

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:12:29 PM
Great Hierophant (1)
(Great Hierophant) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts

All of this overscan and lag bs is the reason why I game strictly on a PC monitor. But I would like something bigger than the 23" that I have now. I have never seen a PC monitor that ever exhibited overscan issues. The analog models were adjustable picture controls and the digital models scale automatically. The vast majority of PC operating systems, Windows, MacOSX, or Linux, would be completely broken on a display that exhibited overscan. Just try plugging a PC into an HDTV with overscan issues. You will not be able to see the status bars or navigate the start menu, or close a window that's been maximized.

Do they make 40" 1080p PC monitors? I have not seen anything above 27 inches except for some rather expensive and exotic UHD stuff, some of which is Display Port only. And the 1080p ASUS models have an insanely low ~8-9ms of lag. You cannot beat that with any HDTV display.

Get a 4K TV, they come in 40 inches, use HDMI and should not have overscan issues.  

Graphics cards can reduce the size of the displayed area to compensate for overscan on a TV set that has the issue.  

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:03:29 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Great Hierophant

Get a 4K TV, they come in 40 inches, use HDMI and should not have overscan issues.  

Graphics cards can reduce the size of the displayed area to compensate for overscan on a TV set that has the issue.  

Fun fact, on an old PC (pre AMD/ATI merger) I once had an ATI Radeon driver get "stuck" where I couldn't access the control panel, and my computer displayed black overscan area, reducing the size of the desktop considerably. No matter what I tried, I could not get rid of the black box on my ASUS monitor. I finally got around it by setting the refreah rate to 59 Hz. Weird, but it was annoying enough that my next video card I purchased was an Nvidia brand...

Also I've heard some 4k models are very laggy.

Edited: 10/11/2016 at 01:04 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:01:33 PM
KaiserGX (1)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
So what has the pixels the size of the original NES? I want to duplicate the NES exact, with scanlines that look good. Anyone have recommendations? I'm using a 720p 19in tv.

Check out my gaming/drawing channel over at https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserGX, thanks!

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:22:57 PM
TheCavalry (11)

< Crack Trooper >
Utah
Originally posted by: KaiserGX

So what has the pixels the size of the original NES? I want to duplicate the NES exact, with scanlines that look good. Anyone have recommendations? I'm using a 720p 19in tv.

You want to use a normal 3x scale (with 4:3 aspect ratio) on a 720p screen. Leave the setting smack in the middle. Personally, I have it just to the left of the middle a touch. Go with what looks best to your eyes.

The pixels output on the original NES are not perfectly square, so you will get some differences across the board from how different tvs process the input.

Edited: 10/11/2016 at 03:24 PM by TheCavalry

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:59:34 PM
CZroe (31)
Georgia
Originally posted by: KaiserGX

You can't get a standard digital TV or monitor with non-square pixels. The reason they aren't square on old analog TVs is because they paint lines, not pixels. The pixels from the NES are distributed across the line that fills the screen and they end up being slightly rectangular (like the screen itself). Scaling pixels unevenly causes artifacts like we see in the OP.

Oct 19, 2016 at 7:19:21 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
I have had a change in heart regarding aspect settings.

What I thought would be my favorite setting before actually testing the AVS, wasn't. Long before the AVS was even out, I swore that the 4x3 integer option would be best, yet since playing the console firsthand, I have actually settled on two ticks from far left (starting with zero, ie go all the way left and press right twice). This makes the pixels alternate perfectly between 3 and 4 width, about 1.14:1, and even the pipes in Super Mario Bros (which have a checkerboard pattern to them) as well as the diagonal bushes look decent enough with this setting. I haven't noticed any smearing or shimmering yet with this setting, and the screen looks well balanced.

Also the scanline effects look good or not largely depend on the TV model. The scanlines looked gorgeous on my fiance's 32" 2007 Sharp LCD (720p with overscan), but the varying scanline intensity on my 26" 2006 Sanyo (also 720p with overscan) is a bit off-putting. Neither TV accepts 1080p (720p and 1080i only) and both work in NTSC and PAL modes. My Sanyo is 1366x768 native (and overscan turns off when connected to PC at this specific 1:1 resolution) but I'm not entirely sure what the native resolution on my Fiance's TV is.

I just wanted to add that not all scalers are created equal and it depends a lot on the specific model and manufacturer.

Edited: 10/19/2016 at 07:31 AM by Kosmic StarDust