Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA Beat Every NES Game in a Year? 2010 - The Year of the Gamer?

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:46:06 PM
SuperElmoThePezGuy64 (13)
(Elmeri Hakko) < Eggplant Wizard >
Finland
Maybe What do you consider beating Kick-Off ? I doubt i will beat Back To The Future 2&3, i think its incredible that i had the patience for beating Bill & Ted but BTTF 2&3, no way.

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:03:11 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
It's tough to say...from the sounds of it, Cup, League and Euro Trophy all require multiple games to beat, but I'm not sure if any of them provide an ending. If you're going to play it anyway, maybe try to knock off all 3 of those and see what happens. I'm inclined to say all three modes would need to be beaten, but I'm not sure if that would be a fair requirement or not.

As for BTTF 2&3, I tried it myself...put several hours into it actually. It's long and hard, and has to be done in one sitting, at least through BTTF 2. I'm thinking of tracking it as 2 separate games since BTTF 3 can be accesssed via password, and splitting it that way would be far less daunting. I like the game, but I do agree it's a stone bitch to beat.

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:39:18 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Rad Racer II is down.
I should catalog all my carts to compare with that list someday... I might have another few games there that can be beaten.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:59:16 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Basil knocked off Double Strike just now, so I notched it up for him. Guess it pays when he comes over, he can beat shit and not have to post about it

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:31:38 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Working on Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll.
I've beaten both quests, but only found out that I need stupid crystal balls to get the good ending when I have beaten the second quest. -_-
Hopefully, I'll get that done before this weekend.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:48:18 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
So we get an indefinite extension to finish the rest of the games in 2011?

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:06:27 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

So we get an indefinite extension to finish the rest of the games in 2011?

Not exactly.  I'm starting the thread over for 2011.  If your name is on the 2010 list for a game, you won't be able to score points for it on the 2011 thread, and I'm potentially offering a prize for the top scoring player in '11.  Also, I'm offering up double points for completing a game that wasn't beat in '10.  I have an idea of what I wish to offer people, but at the same time I'm not sure if I can afford it or if enough people would stick with it through the year to make it viable.  I also would want to give multiple tiers of prizes, but I doubt I'd be able to afford to give away that much free stuff without some sort of donations to the cause (I don't buy as much as people think I do ).  Ultimately I would like to see the list done, but unfortunately it probably won't be finished this year unless a ton of people go on a psycho gaming kick like Super Elmo did

EDIT: To clarify the scoring for next year:

If the game is still green on this year's list, it's worth 2 points.
Any other game is worth 1 point.
If you beat a game in 2010, you can't get the point for it in the 2011 thread, and the game will be open for someone else.  This is simply to stop people from playing through their favorites on New Years Day for the points.  Obviously stuff like the Mario games and whatnot will be pounded out on day 1 regardless, but it also helps add to the point of the thread - to get people playing games they wouldn't normally play

Edited: 12/15/2010 at 06:09 PM by the_wizard_666

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:08:05 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
oohhh, ok! I hope 2011 is the year

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:10:19 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: buttheadrulesagain

oohhh, ok! I hope 2011 is the year

It would definitely be interesting if we can do it as a community, that's for sure.

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:00:51 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Done with Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll and Cobra Command.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:34:39 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Alright Bea! 2 more and you beat out Armageddon Potato, and 3 more to 50! Bloody impressive that is!

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:36:33 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
Bored tonight in chat, thinking of taking on one from the list.
Hmmmmmmm

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:58:30 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Go for it Herb! There's still some fairly easy ones on there.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:44:46 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Alright Bea! 2 more and you beat out Armageddon Potato, and 3 more to 50! Bloody impressive that is!

Aye.
But checking my NES collection I only have the following games left to beat:
Nes Play Action Football
Slalom
Track & Field II

I will work on them this week and then I am done. No more games from the list that weren't beaten left on my collection.

Edited: 12/19/2010 at 04:44 PM by Bea_Iank

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:10:02 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I still can't believe I never got around to beating Play Action Football...like ever. It's my favorite football game!

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:59:14 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Well, Nes Play Action Football is beaten.
The other two will prove to be much harder to beat... Slalom is driving me crazy.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:04:27 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Play Action Football is fun and fairly easy, especially with passwords and only needing to win what, 4 games (been a while since I played tourney mode), but the fact that a game takes a full hour with no option to reduce the time tends to turn people off it. Pity, because it's by far my favorite football game, not just on the NES but on ANY system EVER.

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:01:14 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
I still don't know how I won the games, as the football rules are way too confusing, but yeah, it's a very fun game.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:05:20 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
It's only confusing because they don't play it in Brazil. It's like if I were to try to play cricket or something.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:30:34 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Originally posted by: TomKStones

What do you consider beating Pac-Man is?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/916386-nes/faqs/26831 - If it's listed there, I generally use his rulings, although there are exceptions. In the case of Pac-Man:

PAC-MAN (Namco)
-Pac-Man has an interesting history on the NES. It was first released by
Tengen as a licensed game in 1987, but when the Tetris fiasco caused Tengen to
become an unlicensed game company, the game did not officially exist for the
NES in Nintendo's eyes. Tengen released the game as an unlicensed black cart-
ridge as well, but it wasn't until Namco, an official Nintendo licensee and
the actual makers of Pac-Man themselves, released the game on the NES in 1993
that this all-time classic was considered an "official" NES game. Both the
Namco and Tengen (unlicensed and banned licensed versions) are identical, so
I will use this ending description for both games. There is no actual ending
to this game. It starts out innocent enough, as in the first stage the special
item is a cherry, then in Stage 2 it's a strawberry, until you reach Stage 13,
where the special item is a blue key. That will be the last new special item
you will get in this game. Each time you beat a stage from here on out the blue
key keeps showing up and by Stage 20, all 8 of your visible items are blue
keys. You will also no longer get the cute intermissions at this point. You
will keep playing the same stage over and over, without any hint of the game
ending. I kept playing, past Stage 255, where I thought the game might loop or
start back over with the cherry special item, but it didn't. Using a cheat
which allowed me to only gobble one dot to finish a stage (set address 006A
to value 01 if you are playing in an emulator), I motored through the stages
and eventually beat over 1000 stages with no hint of anything changing. The
built-in Hi-Score for the game is 10000 points, so you can either consider
beating that score as beating the game or getting all blue keys as beating it
or whatever floats your boat, because this is a repeater if I ever saw one.
He has the same thing for Tengen Pac-Man, and I've heard elsewhere that it's completely identical, so I'll edit the master list to reflect this.  You can use either version if need be.  My personal inclination is to say beating the default high score would be enough, however, setting all items to blue keys is an interesting alternative.  I'll leave that up to the jury (eg the other people playing games right now) to decide what should count as beating the game.

Hey guys! Been very busy with X-mas, and forgot this thread even existed. My only beats have been Air Fortress(first quest), Prince of Persia, and Rodland.

On the NES Pac-Man games I noticed once you get so far past the Key only levels it starts to repeat an indefinite loop. You can tell what the loop is by the effectiveness of the energizers. I believe it goes something like:
-Energizer lasts for some time.
-Energizer lasts for less.
-Energizer is very short.
-repeat from top

I actually beat a couple levels in The Last Starfigher... but holy crap is this game hard(and even more hard to play.) You basically need to get to the landing spots asap before the instant kill ship comes to destroy you, and that's if you don't crash into everything else! Eventually I'll figure out the Mutant Virus, but that game is really time consuming!

Actually going back through the list I forgot to mention a friend and I beat the hell out of Super Off-Road earlier this year. We were just talking about it a couple days ago too. Gotta smash into the infiinte nitro CPU car as much as you can on those later stages! Also I beat Bible Buffet 4 players at a friend's house earlier this year too. Pretty easy game.

Just noticed no one has done Gumshoe. I'm going to HAVE to beat that one before the end of the year.

What do you consider beating Gauntlet 2? I remember as I kid I got to level 123, and took a picture then realized it probably had no end.

Dec 21, 2010 at 11:37:40 PM
Elkovsky (0)
(Super Boy Alan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Tennessee

Wait, Back to the Future II and III is still open? Hold the phone, I've been working on it and can easily knock it out before the 31st.

Started it about a week ago, taking care to map out everything on my own without looking at anything other than the manual, and managed to finish Part II a few days ago (after a freakin' five-hour marathon of agony). Part III is much more linear, but those stupid single-screen levels are a nightmare... and on my last playthrough, I got stuck on the next to last one and hit "reset" on my NES without realizing what I was doing. Ugh.

Of course, if someone takes it before I do, they're more than welcome to torture themselves to do so. :-P

Oh, and good luck, Bea, with Slalom. Let me know if you come across a definite ending somewhere in there... I beat each slope up through level eight earlier in the year, but I was uncertain enough about the presence or lack of an ending that I called it done for my sake but didn't take the point for it here...

-Elkovsky

New blog at pixlbit.com! Old NES reviews still at the old blog.

Edited: 12/21/2010 at 11:40 PM by Elkovsky

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:36:57 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
AP - Re: Pac-Man - Is that true on both Tengen and Namco or just one or the other? Regardless, you should send the info to AdamL (his contact info is accurate in the FAQ) and he can update it a bit.
Re: Super Off Road - Did you actually finish level 99? AdamL's list actually said the game has an ending after you beat race 99, so if you didn't, it'll have to stay open.
Re: Gauntlet II - I don't have much info on it. Is there a loop point or is it random screens? AdamL just says he beat 300 screens and it seemed to repeat, but doesn't say much else beyond that. I've heard different stories about an end point but have neither the skill nor the time to actually verify it.
Re: Bible Buffet - I'll give this one to you. Normally games like this would need to be done on 1 player for obvious reasons, but apparently the 1 player game doesn't have an opponent? If there's computer opponents I'd have to say you have to win playing solo, but if there isn't, then I can accept a multiplayer victory as a special case.

Elkovsky - I decided to track BTTF2+3 as 2 games, so I'll give you the point for part 2. The reason for this is that you can access part 3 at any time via password, making it feasible to track it separate. That and finding someone willing to beat both games in one shot would be nigh impossible.

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:00:39 AM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Hmm I don't remember an ending on Off-Road, but I do remember the game ending for some reason, and it wasn't cause we were bored... hmm. Just leave it open, as I'd like to see someone take a pic of the win screen.

I'll try to check all of the Pac-Man games. I don't remember but the ghost AI might be different in the Namco one, but don't hold me to that until I test it. I'll test both.

Actually Gauntlet 2 repeats much earlier than level 100. All it does is randomly generate pre-made levels, and sometimes they will even be invisisble.

Edited: 12/22/2010 at 01:01 AM by Armageddon Potato

Dec 22, 2010 at 1:23:53 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
If you can get back on that Pac Man bit, as I said, shoot it to AdamL. He's always appreciative of info he doesn't have yet. As for Gauntlet II, do you mean it's random from the start, or is there an actual point where the levels become random? If it's random from the start, and there's no ending (which I have yet to find confirmation of an ending, but that doesn't mean there isn't one), we may have to disqualify it unless it tracks your score or something (haven't played it in, well, ever, so if it's got a high score screen and is completely random I would consider taking first place to be beating the game, but if it's got a non-random section of the game I would say getting to the point where it randomizes can be called beating it).

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:11:37 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: Elkovsky

Oh, and good luck, Bea, with Slalom. Let me know if you come across a definite ending somewhere in there... I beat each slope up through level eight earlier in the year, but I was uncertain enough about the presence or lack of an ending that I called it done for my sake but didn't take the point for it here...

Well, it seems you have beaten Slalom right there. There's no ending for it, and the box says that there's 24 tracks, which is 3 slopes times 8. Then it repeats for each slope.