Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2013 NintendoAge Weekly Contest Winter Tournament: Round 3 The Finals - Double Dragon Contest ends Sunday, 1/19/14 at 11 PM NA time

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:12:48 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the final round of the Winter Tournament!  The last two weeks have seen some exciting competition and gameplay and now the top four remaining gamers from each tier will face off for prizes.  But one thing stands in their way:  the final game of the tournament.  This game will be a true test of patience and skill and is a personal favorite of mine.  The game for the final round of the 2013 Winter Tournament is.....Color a Dinosaur!!!  I kid, it's actually Double Dragon.  Contestants, please read the rules very carefully for your tier.  Failure to play by the correct rules could result in your score being disqualified.  Here are the rules for each tier:

Tier 1
  • Play as far into your last life as possible.  Do not allow yourself to get a Game Over.  If you get a Game Over, your score does not count
  • Get as far in the game as possible
  • Get as low of a score as possible
  • If you beat the game, take your picture when Billy Lee rescues Marian.  You can pause the game on this screen
  • No headbutting allowed
  • No weapons glitches allowed
  • You may not re-enter doorways to reset your life bar.  Doing so will result in your score being disqualified
  • Furthest progression with the lowest score wins

Tier 2

• Play as far into your last life as possible.  Do not allow yourself to get a Game Over.  If you get a Game Over, your score does not count
  • If you beat the game, take your picture when Billy Lee rescues Marian.  You can pause the game on this screen
  • No headbutting allowed
  • You may not re-enter doorways to reset your life bar.  Doing so will result in your score being disqualified

Tier 3

• No headbutting allowed

As you can see, everyone is going to play by the same rules once again.  Remember, the top 3 scores in each tier will win a prize, as well as win the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place icons for their respected tiers depending on their finish.

The contest ends Sunday, 1/19/14 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

Here's the official tournament thread for all the details on the tournament itself, plus a place for smack talk

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...

THE CONTESTANTS

TIER 1
CLAYB1RD
gutsman004
Notrevania
rdrunner

TIER 2
Caleb47
dev(2)
sunsetflip84
Thundercat08

TIER 3
fatalfuryspecial
Logo1285
MegaMartyr
TWarwick07

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 01/20/2014 at 05:18 PM by bimmy_lee

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:25:38 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
i rarely swear on here but FUCK...i am great at double dragon..i can beat it in 1-2 lives....
cryin

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:29:25 AM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Hahahah! I should have known! Perfectly fine with this choice! One I can beat a few times in a day =) Can you pause on the final cutscene of the game? I never tried. Seems like it would be an ideal time to take the picture after you beat the game if you can.

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:30:15 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I used to own the arcade game and got to where I could beat it on 4 quarters or less on most days,but oddly I never had much experience with the nes version.We'll see what happens.

Edited: 01/13/2014 at 01:39 AM by gutsman004

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:37:28 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: Logo1285

Hahahah! I should have known! Perfectly fine with this choice! One I can beat a few times in a day =) Can you pause on the final cutscene of the game? I never tried. Seems like it would be an ideal time to take the picture after you beat the game if you can.

Yep, you can pause the game on the final cutscene.  I've got it mentioned in the rules so no one has to quickly take a picture

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:40:06 AM
Logo1285 (14)
Florida
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Yep, you can pause the game on the final cutscene.  I've got it mentioned in the rules so no one has to quickly take a picture

Okay, I see it now. Was in the Tier 1 rules which is why I didn't see it originally. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2014 at 1:44:56 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

Okay, I see it now. Was in the Tier 1 rules which is why I didn't see it originally. Thanks!

Haha, I accidentally only put it in the Tier 1 rules   I fixed it so it is now in all three tier rules.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jan 13, 2014 at 3:24:10 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
I read this topic way to fast and somehow mixed round 3 and Double Dragon up. Double Dragon 3 is the final game this tournament OMG ! This is going to be a pain! No wait it's Double Dragon . Relieved

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:08:57 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Updating....

Edited: 01/18/2014 at 01:53 AM by gutsman004

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:39:09 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: mattyjmania

i rarely swear on here but FUCK...i am great at double dragon..i can beat it in 1-2 lives....
cryin

No kidding. Finally, a game that I can beat in my sleep and I'm out too. Tier 1 even gets to use all of their lives this time. I was hoping the final game would be a puzzle game since I'm normally terrible at those and probably wouldn't have had a shot.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jan 13, 2014 at 9:39:06 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Yay, we're not playing Baseball! Or Yoshi's Cookie!

So here I go again: This may seem obvious, but I assume that we can't use the "Headbutt -900 Glitch". Otherwise, it would be possible to get a score of zero in this game. All you have to do is connect with the headbutt when there is a "9" in the hundreds digit of your score. You normally score 700 points for a headbutt, but in this case, 900 points are SUBTRACTED from your score!

And now I'm done opening my big mouth. I opened it last week and we all ended up in the Sunken Temple of Pain. Sorry gang, my fault.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Edited: 01/13/2014 at 09:41 AM by rdrunner

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:10:11 AM
Logo1285 (14)
Florida
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Yay, we're not playing Baseball! Or Yoshi's Cookie!

So here I go again: This may seem obvious, but I assume that we can't use the "Headbutt -900 Glitch". Otherwise, it would be possible to get a score of zero in this game. All you have to do is connect with the headbutt when there is a "9" in the hundreds digit of your score. You normally score 700 points for a headbutt, but in this case, 900 points are SUBTRACTED from your score!

And now I'm done opening my big mouth. I opened it last week and we all ended up in the Sunken Temple of Pain. Sorry gang, my fault.

Hey, I'd rather it all be sorted out now before a bunch of people get scores put up than waiting until Friday to figure out a solution lol That's why I'm glad something was said about Castlevania 3 early in the week.

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:30:04 AM
Thundercat08 (9)
(Alicia G) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Great a game I have never played. Wait Wait I own the cart. Yes, no stupid tiny screen.

Edited: 01/13/2014 at 10:36 AM by Thundercat08

Jan 13, 2014 at 2:59:14 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
I'm glad you mentioned the headbutting glitch, Tom, because I forgot to put that in the rules last night. As a result of the headbutting point glitch, I have banned headbutting from the competition to make it easier on everyone. I also added a rule about no weapons glitches.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:12:49 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Ha, I'm glad I didn't bother with CV3. I don't hate Double Dragon, but I probably wouldn't fair too well in a low-score competition.

Good luck, everyone!

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:09:43 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario

***Tier 2*** Finished game. 46,960 points

Shaved off a few hundred on my third attempt (I died on my second play through against Jimmy Lee). Getting a low score is really a pain in the butt. I have to admit the stipulations are a nice twist though. Good luck to everyone else! ^>^

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Edited: 01/15/2014 at 04:14 PM by sunsetflip84

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:29:17 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

Nce score ^^^sunset

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Edited: 01/14/2014 at 05:31 PM by Dennis Fleaman

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:30:55 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I might have to play along in spirit. My old score the last time we did this during a weekly contest was 30,400 so I'm curious if I can beat that mark.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:05:10 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I might have to play along in spirit. My old score the last time we did this during a weekly contest was 30,400 so I'm curious if I can beat that mark.

Feel free to play along in spirit   The same goes for anyone else eliminated in the tournament.  There was one major difference to the last low score Double Dragon contest we did and that was bonus points depending on how many lives you had remaining.  The last time, if someone no-deathed the game, 10,000 points were deducted from the score.  If someone had one extra life remaining, they deducted 5,000 points from their score.  If someone beat the game on their last life, no points were deducted.  The scores may vary a little bit from the first time we played a low score Double Dragon contest, but it will be fun to see how low everyone can get their scores.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:13:34 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Feel free to play along in spirit   The same goes for anyone else eliminated in the tournament.  There was one major difference to the last low score Double Dragon contest we did and that was bonus points depending on how many lives you had remaining.  The last time, if someone no-deathed the game, 10,000 points were deducted from the score.  If someone had one extra life remaining, they deducted 5,000 points from their score.  If someone beat the game on their last life, no points were deducted.  The scores may vary a little bit from the first time we played a low score Double Dragon contest, but it will be fun to see how low everyone can get their scores.

My 30,400 score was before the 10,000 point bonus I got for having all of my lives left so I may see if I can beat it during the week just for the fun of it.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:16:49 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan

My 30,400 score was before the 10,000 point bonus I got for having all of my lives left so I may see if I can beat it during the week just for the fun of it.

Ah, I gotcha.  That's a really impressive score for a low score contest on this game.  I may play along this week as well, but I like getting all the moves very early on in the game, so I may not have that low of a score lol.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:22:26 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Ah, I gotcha.  That's a really impressive score for a low score contest on this game.  I may play along this week as well, but I like getting all the moves very early on in the game, so I may not have that low of a score lol.

I remember thinking that I was going to get my first weekly contest win that week, but it ended up being only good enough for second. With all of the good new players we have now, that might not even make the top 3.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:50:49 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Update score Tier 2- Last Stage Willy 44,820.

I was an idiot and wasted so much time on the platforming stage prior on those guys coming out of the doors only to realize I just has to jump forward. I may try to beat it (which I've never done). Double Dragon II is my favorite but this one I enjoyed (haven't honestly played it since I was a kid). Good score sunsetflip. I know this tier has some good competitors so I guess I should try to complete it at least. I just wanted to post a score now in case I don't have any time. Good Luck to all in the frustrating finals lol.

sorry for this pic quality, I thought my copy was going to give out before I could snap a pic.

Edited: 01/19/2014 at 10:48 AM by Caleb47

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:52:57 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

tier 2 : 6645 ha beat that guys !  :-)

Spent the whole Monday helping some friends building a website.
Yesterday i spent the night playing DD ( just casual) and making notes for the low score .
I wanted to post this just to have a score up and then  saw my amazing score !

It's 66.450 don't worry :-) for some reason my tv can't show everything .  ?   Time to test another tv.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Edited: 01/15/2014 at 04:55 AM by Dennis Fleaman

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:36:41 AM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Dev you nearly gave me a heart attack! Haha. Also, good score Caleb! Had you completed the game you would have no doubt beat my score. Keep trying man.

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee