Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Wrecking Crew contest (Uncletusks Pick) ITS ALL OVER FOLKS!!

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:14:31 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina
Here's the back of the box with barcode clearly visible, but again, probably just there to give the box a more authentic look. Who can confirm whether this was made as a mock barcode with just a bunch of random numbers or if it was designed to be a real barcode? Don't know why this interests me, but when I had done my G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor cornerstone, I just had to have a barcode on that too since I was making it too look like a comicbook cover, I had started with a real barcode from a transformers comic, but once it got shrunk down and decolorized it lost most of its original look so I just made up what I could, but for that it didn't have to look completely legit as there wasn't enough room in the pixel count for any of the numbers anyway, but if I had the space for such, I would've gone out of my way to create one that one only looked real, but would've been functional, I'm just silly like that with the details, one of the big oddities about myself.

-------------------------

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:16:05 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

just nitpicking Jonas, but your equation should be (stuff)mod10 = 0

0 modulo anything is always 0

Hmmm... those aren't my equations, they were 5 second googles. The positioning of the mod 10 wouldn't matter either, unless you are trying to satisfy an A-Hole professor who has has a peculiar definition of simplified.

I.e.

10 = 0 (mod 10)
and
10 (mod 10) = 0

Yes 0 mod anything is always 0, hence why the mod 10 has to be written in the equation, otherwise it'd be inaccurate.  Placement of the mod 10 on the right or left side of the equation is just a matter of preference, not accuracy.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:17:13 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Jonebone, you just totally confused me with all that.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:27:40 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Jonas - the position of the "mod" matters because :

"In computing, the modulo operation finds the remainder of division of one number by another"

Basically your equation is incorrect:

100 = 0 mod 10 -- this says that "100" is the remainder of "0 divided by 10". that is wrong.

it is correct,though to say:

100 mod 10 = 0 --> this says that the remainder of "100 divided by 10" is "0".

Edited: 04/15/2009 at 11:28 AM by arch_8ngel

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:30:28 AM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California

So Happy Camper has a real barcode?

Scan it, see what happens. 

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:31:53 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Sorry, I don't have a barcode scanner

Does it say something hilarious or obscene in binary?  that would be a great Easter egg.

Edited: 04/15/2009 at 11:32 AM by arch_8ngel

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:00:30 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
As for the not working thing, I dunno really. Every job that I have ever held I've been the best at, just as I do for gaming, that's how I was with work as well, but aside from that video rental clerk, and floral assistant in a flower shop, all my other jobs have been stocking shelves only, not much in way of the necessary experience points I need to get a really good job, and it seems I can't get hired anymore for stocking. And the only reason I never branched out really is that I get frustrated, flustered too easily when I have too much difficulty with understanding or remembering something when under pressure, so I always stuck with what I knew I could do, this is where real life and gaming are different, I don't make a big deal out of losing in a game or not being able to play well right away, because I can take as long as I want, come back to it anytime I want, but out there, if you can't get it, they'll get someone else that will. Plus, my people skills are really poor in person, even moreso over the phone, I stubble a lot over my words, sometimes downright sounding like Porky Pig, and while I seem educated enough when typing, I come off seemingly like a kid when talking in person, especially when nervous. And I'm too honest, and yes, there is a such thing as being too honest to the point where people don't believe you because it just ain't normal. And I know I always fail those psychological things that you have to answer multiple choice to on job applications, I forget what these things are called, but always every big retail corporation uses them now as a means of finding the right candidates for a job, and if you don't match the profile they are looking for in a person, well, you're application won't even be considered to even be looked at, found this out with both Walmart and Toys'r'us as both of those places actually sent an automatic email to me telling me so, so I know its gotta be the same for all other places that do it like this. I've only had a few interviews over the past couple years, and really, I'm just no good with the sort of talking that is required for them, I don't have that business or even a professional mindset, and I'm not so readily comfortable with the talking that needs to impress with someone I just met and they want me to tell them about myself and what my goals are and all that sorta nonsense, so I think sometimes I come off as ignorant, or downright stupid as one place kinda bluntly told me when I had failed to answer any of their questions correctly that "Even someone fresh out of high school could've answered all of them right", yep that was the result of the end of one interview as I was told over the phone when I inquired about it. I have a few other obstacles as well, one being multiple chemical sensitivity, as well as other problems due to vertigo that I got a year and so ago, so those kinda limits where I can work now too, particularly the chemical sensitivity. As well as one more problem, but not ready to say what it is, or at all. I just have a lot of obstacles that are hard for me to climb over or knock down.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:01:33 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Sorry, I don't have a barcode scanner

Does it say something hilarious or obscene in binary?  that would be a great Easter egg.

Wouldn't that be something.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:15:36 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
Clawful - just get a little drinky before your next interview. Duh.

The barcode is worth investigating. take it to Target and ask them to scan it. Could be fun.

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:19:19 PM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: UncleTusk

Clawful - just get a little drinky before your next interview. Duh.

The barcode is worth investigating. take it to Target and ask them to scan it. Could be fun.

I'll take it to work today and scan it, but I  an tell you already it's probably just going to be the number that's listed under it.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:20:23 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
I've always wondered what I'd be like drunk, but alas, I don't dare try it.

That'd be pretty funny, bringing the game into a store and scanning it, but I don't dare take my Happy Camper (even if only the box) out where it could potentially be damaged, lost, or stolen out of my hands. It'll just have to remain a mystery for now.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:28:44 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

Jonas - the position of the "mod" matters because :

"In computing, the modulo operation finds the remainder of division of one number by another"

Basically your equation is incorrect:

100 = 0 mod 10 -- this says that "100" is the remainder of "0 divided by 10". that is wrong.

it is correct,though to say:

100 mod 10 = 0 --> this says that the remainder of "100 divided by 10" is "0".

I'm just going to agree to disagree, but modulo is a math concept in theory with a practical usage in computing.  Go look at a mod math class and I guarantee you'll see problems like: x^2 = 1 mod 8

You can move it to either side of the equation when variables are introduced, just as in my original formula.  Although when you use definitive numbers like 100 = 0 mode 10, then you are indeed right and it doesn't make any sense.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:39:16 PM
nes_king (63)
(josh .) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
very intristing info. im not this much into math but i do understand the wrecking crew equation, i could deffinatly understand all of this if i wanted to take the time and had someone teach me with paper and pencil things are more clear when i can write it out...

miss clawfull whats youe educational backround?

sell me your flintstones surprise at dinosaur peak MANUAL..

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:47:28 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
So Jonas, please enlighten me on how these things are interchangeable:

x^2 mod 10 = 0 (x = 0, 10, 20, etc)

x^2 = 0 mod 10 (x = 0, and only 0)

it matters where you put the modulo operator.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:48:27 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
I do better with the hands on thing too, but it still wouldn't help me understand all the terms these guys are throwing around.

Oh, GED, that's it.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:19:38 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: Miss Clawful

And therein lies the beauty of algebra and math.  Your post inspired me to look up UPCs, and this simple formula summarizes everything you just typed:

Assume the 12 digits are d1, d2, d3, ..., d11, d12. In a valid UPC barcode, d12 is so selected as to make the following identity true:

(1) 3×d1 + d2 + 3×d3 + d4 + ... + 3×d11 + d12 = 0 (mod 10).

To put it differently, let Sodd and Seven be the sums of the digits in the odd and even positions, starting with 1. Then, for a valid UPC-12 code

(1') 3×Sodd + Seven = 0 (mod 10).

Note that (1) and (1') (' = "prime" in math lingo) are identical formulas just written differently.

I''ve noticed that a lot of people who have problems with math just shut down with they see variables.  I think this formula is much more eloquent and concise than your step by step analysis, although you would argue that your way is simpler because there are no variable numbers or strange signs.  When you see the word "Mod or Modulo" just think "remainder".  I.e. if something = 0 mod 10, that means the remainder would be 0 when you divide by ten, i.e. the number is a multple of ten.  100 = 0 mod 10.

Either way, nice find.  I don't know if it is a touchy subject, but I'm not sure why you are unemployed if you possess sound mathematical thinking and exercise good grammar usage in writing.

It took me a bit, but I was starting to feel stupid so I worked at this my way.

The Wizard (took this as my example to test this out)

My original method:
0 25192 93242 7
2+2+9+9+5+0=27
27*3=81
4+3+2+1+2=12
81+12=93
93+7=100

Your method, from my understanding:
3*0+2+3*5+1+3*9+2+3*9+3+3*2+4+3*2+7

So taking it in simplified steps:

Multiply the odd numbers:
3*0=0, 3*5=15, 3*9=27, 3*9=27, 3*2=6, 3*2=6

Add up the multiplied answers:
0+15+27+27+6+6=81

Add up the even numbers:
2+1+2+3+4=12

Add both final odd and even answers:
81+12=93

And finally 93+7=100 (check sum is correct)

Again, this took me a bit to grasp, to understand the point of the letters which while they are there as placeholders for what could be anything, they just confuse the hell out of me, always have (I had tons of arguments with the teacher I remember back in high school revolving around this wondering why I had to put them at all when I could just write out the damn answer and be done with it) and I had to completely ignore the math terms used because that just makes it feel more complicated than what it is. So I believe I get the way you've done it, but still more comfortable with my way, but at least I learned an alternative, there's usually more than one way to an answer and its good to know them all even if you just stick to what you think is the best way.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:51:48 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Just a quick chime-in on the work/job-thing Clawful... you are a VERY talented individual with respect to art and design. You should seriously consider doing some of your cross-stitch with a purpose and sell it. Or convert your 8-bit/sprite art into t-shirts or something.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:55:23 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
I'll just concede to you Arch, but the original equation I presented is not mine, it is found here: http://www.cut-the-knot.org/Curri...

Either way, there is no inverse operation for mod so I believe it misused more than say a log or ln function that have a clear exponential inverse operation.

Clawful - With all due respect, it sounds like you have a mental block that is preventing you from finding a job more so than any disability. You already sound defeated and gave a whole list of excuses (some bearing more legitimacy than others) as to why you can't work. If you don't believe in yourself, then how do you expect an employer to feel?

Bottom line is that you seem to have the skill sets required to find at least an elementary job and if you really wanted one I think you'd have one.

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:12:26 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Jonas - no sweat. I just looked into that reference you posted, and they're misusing "mod" in their equations.

If you use it with an equal sign and display it as an operator, it doesn't commute and there is only one "right" way to do it.

What they have posted MIGHT be correct IF they replaced the "equal" with a "congruency" (three bars instead of two). Then the answer DOES commute because you're not saying the same thing anymore.

But I don't think that's what they're going for with their equation. They're obviously trying to use it as an operator, in which case they've misused it and are flat-out wrong.

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:14:48 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Clawful, I agree with Jonas on his assessment. You need to find something you WANT to do, or enjoy doing, so you can build yourself up and feel good about it. Being in a negative spiral is very self-defeating.

You might even start by doing some volunteer work, rather than paid work. Find an animal shelter, or a soup kitchen, or SOMETHING, that gets you out there doing something you can be positive about.

Apr 15, 2009 at 4:07:07 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland

Clawful, I agree with Jonas on his assessment. You need to find something you WANT to do, or enjoy doing, so you can build yourself up and feel good about it. Being in a negative spiral is very self-defeating.

You might even start by doing some volunteer work, rather than paid work. Find an animal shelter, or a soup kitchen, or SOMETHING, that gets you out there doing something you can be positive about.

I second this, my girlfriend loves animals and worked at a vet for a while.  Realistically, I don't think there's a single person who absolutely loves going to work everyday (except for a select few occcupations like athletes), but there are a lot of us who really "don't mind" it and know that it is necessary to survive.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:00:23 PM
nes_king (63)
(josh .) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
well i went to buy a few things at office max today and couldent help but to try out the barcode thing. i checked the first item it had a 12 digit bar code, i did all the math and yup it all checked out the checksum was correct... but then on my second item i had a 13 digit bar code and it did not check out at all.

sell me your flintstones surprise at dinosaur peak MANUAL..

Edited: 04/15/2009 at 05:00 PM by nes_king

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:06:19 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Hey, somebody here still wanna talk about Wrecking Crew?

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:25:37 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:12:45 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: jonebone

I second this, my girlfriend loves animals and worked at a vet for a while.  Realistically, I don't think there's a single person who absolutely loves going to work everyday (except for a select few occcupations like athletes), but there are a lot of us who really "don't mind" it and know that it is necessary to survive.

I love animals, but have heavy allergies to fur and feathers, also exposure to so much feces and urine all day wouldn't help much either. Years ago we used to have cats and birds for pets, Constant sneezing and red itchy eyes, and I always had breathing problems, had to go to the hospital several times so that they could help clear my lungs of all the thick mucus, eventually we had to get rid of the cats (we had 3 of them), but it wasn't til we moved again that I started feeling better where my lungs didn't bother me so much.

Originally posted by: nes_king

well i went to buy a few things at office max today and couldent help but to try out the barcode thing. i checked the first item it had a 12 digit bar code, i did all the math and yup it all checked out the checksum was correct... but then on my second item i had a 13 digit bar code and it did not check out at all.

That's cool that you tried this out when you were out shopping, what better time to put this odd bit of knowledge to use. 13 digit barcode isn't really a common thing, don't know how that one would be solved, I've only tried the 12 digit thing since these are the most used kind. There's smaller barcodes too, I think 8 digit ones, there're a little bit harder to decipher but actually just leave out several zeros in a couple places to condense it down so the barcode will fit on smaller product.

Originally posted by: guillavoie

Hey, somebody here still wanna talk about Wrecking Crew?

Wrecking Crew? What's that? Lol. This game really spawned lots of talk, even branching out to different stuff all because of the whole math involved with trying to find the bonus items. I think its good when something can do this, I think we're each learning something from each other this way.