Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

can anyone help me find a tv that doesnt lag w/the avs? do i need a 720 tv?

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:36:11 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
i have an old ass vizio. no option at all as far as "game mode". 

also got a 4k phillips. 

both have noticeable lag while playing my avs. 

the vizio is really bad. the phillips is better. it doesnt have a "game mode" but it does have "pc mode". the phillips in "pc mode" is good but i cant get to tyson and popinski is trouble. i cant even get passed sandman. 

i dont feel like the info was that accessible when i bought the avs. i mean i definitely could have done more research but it wasnt like anybody was letting me know you need a certain tv or its going to lag. 

anyway i like the avs i just didnt realize finding a tv to pair it with so it doesnt lag would be this much trouble for me. 

$180 plus a $400 tv. i cant just go around buying $200-$400 tv's to find out wich one will work with my avs. 

both my tvs are 1080. do i need a 720 tv? would that solve the lag issue? 

thanks for any help. kind of frustrated with this honestly. 

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 02/09/2017 at 03:51 AM by skinnygrinny

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:14:51 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Vizio and Phillips both have terrible lag ratings across the board. They are low end sets, there is a reason why they are cheap.

This site has data for a lot of TV models, should be easy to find something in your price range with a good (low) lag rating.

https://displaylag.com/display-da...

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:04:11 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Mog

Vizio and Phillips both have terrible lag ratings across the board. They are low end sets, there is a reason why they are cheap.

This site has data for a lot of TV models, should be easy to find something in your price range with a good (low) lag rating.

https://displaylag.com/display-database/
thanx. i realize they arent the best tvs. retrousb should inform buyers they need a $1000 tv in order for it to run correctly... it says nothing about tvs on the site, concerning the avs. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:08:44 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Let's tone down the sarcasm, dude. It isn't retroUSB's fault that the TV you are using is introducing lag.

They simply stated, as was documented with a lot of high speed camera work on various televisions, that their system adds no lag.

You don't "need a $1000 tv in order for it to run correctly." My $200 Samsung that I got from black friday at walmart runs it perfectly. I have beaten Mike Tyson.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy that the TVs you have are laggy, but that isn't anyone's fault, especially retroUSB. So please quit trying to insinuate that it is.

I've defended you a lot in the past, even going as far as saying you didn't deserve to be banned while standing up to the other mods. But you're being a complete asshole here.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:15:53 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Well, it's not like you can't sell the AVS for what you paid if you're finding it's not for you.

Tyson is the only game I had issues with on my TV, but I didn't want to mess around too much with TV modes and mess up my other systems.

While I don't think you need a $1000 TV, I do think it would help to not have one of the bottom of the barrel ones. That's like complaining about the picture quality from a $50 blu-ray player.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:24:01 AM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
My Sony 4k runs games perfectly fine.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:45:28 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Let's tone down the sarcasm, dude. It isn't retroUSB's fault that the TV you are using is introducing lag.

They simply stated, as was documented with a lot of high speed camera work on various televisions, that their system adds no lag.

You don't "need a $1000 tv in order for it to run correctly." My $200 Samsung that I got from black friday at walmart runs it perfectly. I have beaten Mike Tyson.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy that the TVs you have are laggy, but that isn't anyone's fault, especially retroUSB. So please quit trying to insinuate that it is.

I've defended you a lot in the past, even going as far as saying you didn't deserve to be banned while standing up to the other mods. But you're being a complete asshole here.

no, if it came off as trying to blame retrousb for my tv issue, thats not what i was trying to say. in just a bit frustrated with the lack of info provided concerning what type of tv is needed in order for it to run correctly, from retrousb. and thats where the sarcasm came from. 

i appreciate you sticking your neck out for me. didnt mean to come of as such an asshole, just frustrated. i said i could have done more research. im just not much of a tech specs person. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:54:53 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Well, it's not like you can't sell the AVS for what you paid if you're finding it's not for you.

Tyson is the only game I had issues with on my TV, but I didn't want to mess around too much with TV modes and mess up my other systems.

While I don't think you need a $1000 TV, I do think it would help to not have one of the bottom of the barrel ones. That's like complaining about the picture quality from a $50 blu-ray player.

no doubt. i understand that. i would be a complete asshole if i bought a bluray player for $50 and was told "your going to need a certain tv for this to run correctly". took it home to my bottom barrel tv that was not one of the tvs i was told would be needed and starting complaining about low quality picture. 

and i understand i could have/should have done my own homework. i really am not trying to blame anyone else. no one from retrousb was required to hold my hand and help me make a decision buying a tv. a lil help would have been nice. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:30:46 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
The big overriding problem is there isn't a magic "buy this TV not that TV" that Brian could have listed. Even among makes it's hard to discern which will be laggier than others. The same thing would have happened with just about any console that uses HDMI.

If it's any consolation, the NES classic has lag on top of the TV lag. Punch-Out is almost unplayable.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:48:13 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Tulpa

The big overriding problem is there isn't a magic "buy this TV not that TV" that Brian could have listed. Even among makes it's hard to discern which will be laggier than others. The same thing would have happened with just about any console that uses HDMI.

If it's any consolation, the NES classic has lag on top of the TV lag. Punch-Out is almost unplayable.
Yeah, that thing is a 60 dollar piece of garbage.    

I was able to play other games fine on the AVS at least.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:48:44 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Yeah it would have been really nice if someone actually measured many TVs, from different manufacturers, including 720/1080/4k. Maybe something like http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...  

Edited: 02/09/2017 at 02:49 PM by bunnyboy

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:49:06 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
*cups hands around mouth* "Sell me your AVS"

My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:52:49 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

Was that last part really necessary   ? Even if he is in the wrong here, do we really need to resort to mods calling people assholes? 

As for the lag, that is up to you to research Skinny. The AVS introduces no lag, that is all it claims. Not that it guarantees you NO lag on every tv ever made. Tv's are gonna have lag, and each TV will differ. You have to do your research and make sure your TV has low lag. This isn't just for the AVS but even for modern consoles such as the PS4 and Xbone. 

gamevaluenow

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:56:13 PM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I've tested the AVS on several different brands and haven't noticed any lag whatsoever, as long as you put the TV in game mode there shouldn't be any issues. I know many people forget to do this.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:58:34 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Skinny what is your Vizio model number? Are you sure there is no game mode? I know for my samsung i had to do some digging in the menu. There was no button on the controller, and it was in a random menu that made no sense. I know my cousins vizio has a game mode. 

gamevaluenow

Edited: 02/09/2017 at 02:58 PM by xMaGuSx

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:07:25 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Yeah it would have been really nice if someone actually measured many TVs, from different manufacturers, including 720/1080/4k. Maybe something like http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=106&a...  
Savage.  

Although, to be fair, those you've listed are the same manufacturers? I think you meant different models. 

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:00:12 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: BouncekDeLemos

Yeah it would have been really nice if someone actually measured many TVs, from different manufacturers, including 720/1080/4k. Maybe something like http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=106&a...  
Savage.  

Although, to be fair, those you've listed are the same manufacturers? I think you meant different models. 
retrousb might want to think about having this link in the avs page on the website. maybe im the only one but it sure would have made things easier for me. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:00:59 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California

Savage.  

2nd sentence has link to previous tests, which were different manufacturers.  Thats when I found out my most expensive TV (Sharp Aquos) was also the worst lag by far.  

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:13:18 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
Florida

Savage.  

2nd sentence has link to previous tests, which were different manufacturers.  Thats when I found out my most expensive TV (Sharp Aquos) was also the worst lag by far.  

Ah, gotcha.   I'm gonna have to bookmark your list and the link mog has shown. 

Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:14:54 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: xMaGuSx

Was that last part really necessary   ? Even if he is in the wrong here, do we really need to resort to mods calling people assholes?

Sometimes moderators need moderators!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:18:33 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

but then what happens when the moderators moderators get out of line?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:20:10 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
Florida
Originally posted by: 42 foot tapewoRm

Savage.  

retrousb might want to think about having this link in the avs page on the website. maybe im the only one but it sure would have made things easier for me. 

It's a wonder he'd go out his way to do tests to begin with. No other console manufacturer does that from what I can recall. Since there's so many manufacturers and models, it's hard to give a straight answer to which is the "best" anyways, especially since it all is kinda subjective anyway (People percieve lag differently)

Just be thankful the dude's even got a list. It's not his fault if he doesn't have it posted up elsewhere.

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:26:14 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Skinny what is your Vizio model number? Are you sure there is no game mode? I know for my samsung i had to do some digging in the menu. There was no button on the controller, and it was in a random menu that made no sense. I know my cousins vizio has a game mode. 

ill have to check when i get home from work. its gotta be 8 years old though. i wasnt expecting it to work on the vizio but i didnt realize the imput lag issue with new tv's/consoles. i have a ps3 thst only plays movies. 

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:29:08 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

but then what happens when the moderators moderators get out of line?

its all good. i understand khan. prob feels like i threw mud on his face. with a mouth like mine stuff kinda comes w/the territory  

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:30:00 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Originally posted by: 42 foot tapewoRm

Savage.  

It's a wonder he'd go out his way to do tests to begin with. No other console manufacturer does that from what I can recall. Since there's so many manufacturers and models, it's hard to give a straight answer to which is the "best" anyways, especially since it all is kinda subjective anyway (People percieve lag differently)

Just be thankful the dude's even got a list. It's not his fault if he doesn't have it posted up elsewhere.

ya i amthankful. thank you.