Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2018 Midwest Gaming Classic Who is all planning to attend? Let us know!

Apr 15, 2018 at 10:45:06 AM
Segertar (125)
(T. F.) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Last time I went to Midwest Gaming Classic was in 2015. It was very crowded and evident that the convention had out grown that location. The hotel was packed and they had put up a large tent to help with the space issues. Although it was crowded, the games and people were awesome.

This year's venue was much, much better; kudos to the guys who sent this thing up because it was wonderful. Plenty of space, food and drink available (at somewhat reasonable prices – my beer was cheaper than my bottled water), and of course games galore. Most of the vendors were very nice and willing to haggle a bit on pricing. Some were not. I found that those with a b/m store were less likely to make any deals and were more likely to try to pressure a sale out of you. Over all the prices were pretty much what you would expect at conventions; not horrible but you would probably be able to find a better deal if you wait.

The events were very nice too. There were many Q and A sessions about pinball, arcade games, and development. Video game music band were a nice touch. It was pretty neat seeing a few famous faces. I recognized Billy Mitchell, Walter Day, Ben Heck, many of the actors who portrayed the characters in Mortal Kombat, and a few Twitch personalities.

To me, the best part was seeing all the awesome games that I would never be able to see or play otherwise. Honestly, it was amazing. I really appreciate all the work put into organizing this event. It really shows the love they have for the MGC.

If you have the opportunity to go, go. It is well worth the admission.

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:02:36 PM
Everharm (176)
(Michael Everhart) < El Ripper >
Wisconsin
Another Year in the books.  I could not imagine trying to handle this weather in the vendor tent.  It would have been impossible.  There are many positives of the new location.  Thanks to everyone that made the weekend great.  Thanks to everyone that stopped by our booth and picked up some of jobbers games. 

Here is my obligatory pickup pictures. 

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:06:04 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Man. Between the games I bought and my film equipment, I was triple checked at the airport. The third one required going to a private room. Meanwhile, Terry was waiting for me to get through and got to watch the whole thing go down. That was fun.

Pickups when I land.

-------------------------

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:21:43 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Everharm

Another Year in the books.  I could not imagine trying to handle this weather in the vendor tent.  It would have been impossible.  There are many positives of the new location.  Thanks to everyone that made the weekend great.  Thanks to everyone that stopped by our booth and picked up some of jobbers games. 

Yeah, the weather was a special kind of shitty this year.    I don't think they would have been able to block the wind completely and everything would have blown everywhere.

It was bad enough just trying to load in if you weren't on the ramp.

Very glad you guys were able to run the Jobber booth; I snagged a couple keepers from there for myself (Technocop since I have no idea where mine is, or if I even have the case for it anymore, and a nicely priced Red Blades of Steel).

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:10:10 AM
dewisp02 (78)
(Mr. Jason) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Another great year!! Had an awesome time meeting, catching up, hanging out with everyone that ended up in the NA room throughout the convention. And just wanted to say thanks to everyone that brought stuff to share and that helped organize the room / event!!

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Edited: 04/17/2018 at 09:10 AM by dewisp02

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:25:17 AM
smeagolsama (211)
(Bronner's Army) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Great seeing old faces and new. I missed last year, so it was a welcome return for me. Xtreme and myself had an uneventful ride home, made it back shortly after midnight.

Thanks to all the helpers. Those in the NA room and in the booths, in particular for Jobbers stuff. Thanks to all the buyers, too.

I came away with around 10 Nintendo Powers I needed, just down to the final 5! All newish issues 250+, so shouldn't be too hard.

Woke up Monday and had a job offer in my email, better pay and benefits than my last!

Smaug really enjoyed himself and felt really welcome. He's an old pro on the festival scene but this was his first convention.

Thanks for the wonderful time.

Edited to add:  NP issues I'm missing should you wanna help a guy out:  239,240,241,249,281

Edited: 04/17/2018 at 12:15 PM by smeagolsama

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:55:10 PM
McFly130 (0)

< Cherub >
This was my 2nd MGC. I had a blast. I was in the NA room for a while without realizing it until I looked at the map after I had left. Next year I'm going to make a weekend out of it. I haven't gone on a Sunday yet. I was pretty bummed with how crowded the pinball and arcades were, I heard if I go on Sunday I'll be able to play a lot more. Also, I was looking forward to playing Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic on FDS for the first time, but it was stuck on the title screen and it needed to be flipped. The console was in a secure box and I couldn't find anyone to flip it.

Anyone know how the SMB tournament went? Was it time or score based? Wish I could have played in it.

I'd love to see what everyone picked up if they can post their loot.

I came close to buying Mega man 5 CIB with the box in pretty pristine shape for $200. Instead, I bought Mega man 1 and 6 loose and a used snes classic.

Apr 17, 2018 at 10:54:03 PM
dewisp02 (78)
(Mr. Jason) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Originally posted by: smeagolsama

Woke up Monday and had a job offer in my email, better pay and benefits than my last!
That is great news! Congrats!

Originally posted by: smeagolsama

Smaug really enjoyed himself and felt really welcome. He's an old pro on the festival scene but this was his first convention.
We have to get Smaug a NA shirt or hat! 

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:41:38 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
My pickups for this year. Yeah, that's right. SEALED Dragon Warrior.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:40:54 PM
The Old Ass Retro Gamer (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Once again Chris, The Old Ass Retro Gamer, attended the Midwest Gaming Classic, this time for the full three days of the convention. Listen to his sordid adventures of con life, meeting fellow YouTubers, getting rad swoops and participating in another panel with his peers. And games. Lots and lots of games.

Please subscribe to the channel, comment, share the video link on social media and give it a thumbs up if you like what you see. Thanks for watching!

Get your own Old Ass Retro Gamer swag at: www.cafepress.com/theoldassretrog...

Please donate to my Patreon for exclusive content:
http://www.patreon.com/TheOldAssR...

Social Media:
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TheOldAss...
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/OARetroGam...
Instagram - http://www.instagram.com/TheOldAs...

The Old Ass Retro Gamer's Twitch Livestream:
http://www.twitch.com/TheOldAssRe...

Check out my YouTube channels!
The Old Ass Retro Gamer - youtube.com/shwanzi
Winter & Construction - youtube.com/PlusKewlFilms

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:09:06 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Really? The exact same post in 3 different threads? You could at least pretend to engage in the forum.