Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Dogbone controller Is it any good?

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:15:51 PM
pacowles (3)
(Phillip C) < Crack Trooper >
North Carolina
I had an NES while growing up, but by the time the toploader came out, I already had an SNES and my toaster worked fine. Thus, like many others, I missed out on the toploader in its day. As such, I have never even seen a dogbone controller in person. It looks pretty cool, but the pricetag has always turned me off (at least on ebay, like 15+ship). My question is whether or not it is worth picking one of these up--for actual game play, not for collecting. I have tons of original rectangle controllers and a couple of nes max pads, so I don't want to buy a dogbone unless it offers a better play experience than the traditional controllers. Anyone have any opinions on whether or not dogbones are worth buying for game play? I play mostly platformers/sidescrollers, if that makes any difference. Any and all opinions are welcome

-------------------------

Edited: 12/16/2007 at 06:16 PM by pacowles

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:20:10 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I don't care for the dogbone at all to be honest but I know a lot of people swear by them.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:49:03 PM
nesdude (122)
(Matt Yanders) < Ridley Wrangler >
Iowa
Personally, its all I use. I love mine. But I bought a set of Power Grips like NGD suggested and im going to give them a try when they get here.

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:10:51 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
I prefer the dogbone's shape. It is much more comfortable in your hand, and the buttons are angled slightly to align with your thumb better.

Edited: 12/16/2007 at 07:13 PM by burdger

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:22:34 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I have such large hands that the dogbone isn't really big enough for me to grip comfortably, maybe that is why I dislike it.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:56:06 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
I have big hands too, and that's why I like it. The angle of the buttons are easier than the square one.

Dec 16, 2007 at 8:59:59 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I'm not crazy about the dogbone. I gave it a good try, but I guess I'm just too used to the original controller for anything else to be 100% comfortable.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:57:25 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
I always use dogbone controllers, too. They're just more comfortable.

Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

I have such large hands that the dogbone isn't really big enough for me to grip comfortably, maybe that is why I dislike it.

~~NGD

You could give the black Competition Pro controller a try that is often found on eBay for relatively cheap (also sold as the Teqniche Power Pad). It's similar to a dogbone, but larger...good quality controller with turbo buttons, and definitely made for adult hands (unlike the official NES controllers which were mostly developed for children's hands IMO).

Edited: 12/17/2007 at 05:57 PM by Speedy_NES

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:53:20 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
I can't stand the dogbone - they angled the A and B buttons wrong. A should have been below and to the right of B, not above it... then it work just like Super Mario World does with the SNES controller: nice and comfy. As it is though, it's a real strain to hit both buttons at the same time without putting your hand and arm at awkward angles. Give me the old brick controller any day

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:57:03 AM
The Hiryuu (73)
(Ben Somethingorother) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
I personally love the dogbone controller. I lucked out and got one for 99 cents at EBgames a couple years back.

Evil, hell, satan, goat, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun

Dec 18, 2007 at 1:27:31 PM
NickyP (0)
(Nicky P) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
I like the dogbone. after like 5 hours of non-stop playing, the corners of the original controller can start to hurt your hand lol

"If someone says you're ugly, tell them you're not an ugly human but a good looking ape with advanced speech skills."

Dec 21, 2007 at 10:38:14 AM
miaandjohnrule (1)
(John ) < Little Mac >
Washington

I like the dogbone but it seems like I try to keep them in good shape and not use them. You should get one just for collections sake. Be patient and you will get one at a good price. I think I have like 6. I like the regular brink controller and always used the power grips with mine when I first had an NES. I use the Messiah wireless NES pads most of the time these days.

Dec 21, 2007 at 11:55:31 AM
nesdude (122)
(Matt Yanders) < Ridley Wrangler >
Iowa
Originally posted by: miaandjohnrule

I like the dogbone but it seems like I try to keep them in good shape and not use them. You should get one just for collections sake. Be patient and you will get one at a good price. I think I have like 6. I like the regular brink controller and always used the power grips with mine when I first had an NES. I use the Messiah wireless NES pads most of the time these days.

My dogbone has all the lettering scratched off it. Its a beater but its been my favorite controller for years now. I'm really not even sure where I got it from. The power girps came in the mail yesterday, though. So far I like them a lot. They might win first place, we'll see.