Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I have a dream... and other changes at retrousb for 2013

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:57:53 PM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Well shit. Every time I have extra money and I go to the site looking for NCC it's never available. I guess I'll never get it

Also the hdmi nes looks pretty amazing. I guess.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:04:19 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: Phins

NTSC-U Gimmick or NCC 1991, 
Gimmick is dumped, NCC will be back.

That, and can we expect to have RetroVision, USB CopyNES, ReproPak MMC1, or Super NESnake 2 back in-stock some time soon?
Maybe, yes, no, yes.  

Originally posted by: thesubcon3

In regard to the powerpak revision, can those of us who already have one, send it to you for an update for a fee?
The new board is 99% new hardware, only the Ciclone is the same.

Originally posted by: g_block

So does that mean the Powerfest 94 repro release is off now?
After very slow sales of SNCC that was never started.

Originally posted by: OakTea

Will you still be continuing your Retro-USB products, specifically the controller-to-USB adapters?  I've bought a couple of your NES adapters, and I'm in the market for a couple Genesis and SNES adapters...
Only a few of the RetroKits have been dropped, rest of the USB stuff will stay.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:19:50 PM
DataDriven05 (24)
(Chris Longo) < Tourian Tourist >
New Jersey
HDMI NES? Consider me a day one buyer. Awesome stuff, Bunny. Any man who is willing to take risks to follow their dreams I give an extreme amount of credit to. Best of luck.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:34:53 PM
Diamante Loco (149)
(gblock mountaineer) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
What's the price range of an HDMI NES? $200-$250?

-------------------------

The User formally known as g_block. Same nice guy, different name :-)

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:41:15 PM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

NCC will be back.

Yesssssss

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:48:31 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

It's a beautiful thing.

Damn, and I am out of HDMI ports on the back of the T.V.
Looks like the 360 is going to get the boot!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Jan 1, 2013 at 2:33:53 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
No more MR.Gimmik, NNOOOOOOOOOOOO. I wanted to get that one.
HDMI NES, YES YES YES

Playas Guide Logo

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:25:12 PM
GhostNinja (28)
(Josh B.) < El Ripper >
United Kingdom
I was interested in Mr. Gimmick too. However, the HDMI NES and new PowerPak has me interested. I've been holding off on getting a PowerPak for no particular reason, and I guess it's now paid off. I always like some good news.

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:28:45 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
Are you sure NTSC-U Mr. Gimmick is publicly dumped? I've scoured months for the file and can't find it anywhere.

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Edited: 01/01/2013 at 04:38 PM by Phins

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:13:39 PM
Phins (68)
Utah
Also, will your HDMI NES work with games like Just Breed which are RGB incompatible?

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:16:04 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
The color palette is complete, and the board is updatable through USB, so games that use emphasis bits or colors not in the RGB PPUs will not have any problems. I will have someone specifically test Just Breed and take a pict.

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:25:38 PM
Duke.Togo (114)
(Christopher Cantrell) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
First off, I can understand your desire to move away from the repro market. I appreciate you using new hardware, but I'm sure it is tough to compete against donor based carts. As a fellow NES enthusiast, I won't miss the SNES items.

I am looking forward to seeing what is in store for your revised Power Pak. I've been eagerly eyeing the developing Famicom Everdrive cart, but I'm open to any solution that will allow me to accurately play any titles including FDS. I've got a nice collection, but I won't mind avoiding the wear on the originals. I'm not familiar with Scoreboard, so I'd be interested in hearing more on it.

An HDMI NES is perfect. I'll be eagerly awaiting this one. I'm curious to know if this is something you'll be offering for Famicoms in the future.

Good luck on this and your dream venture. You've done a lot for this community.

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:35:47 PM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
def in for HDMI NES. Sad about the new parts repros tho as I am personally not a fan of the old parts and wires running all over on some of the others. Guess ill have to snag Kid Dracula and Splatterhouse while I still can!

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:36:48 PM
Phins (68)
Utah
Will there be a way to simulate composite color blending so games that relied on the effect to add detail (eg blocks showing up smoothly shaded as opposed to dithered) don't get left out in the cold?

This, is Outer Heaven.

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:37:00 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
It's a shame the NES repros will have to eat it, that Kid Dracula and Gradius II looked quite tempting, but I can totally get what you are at being squeezed out by those using solder and spare parts that can do it for like $30~ as new comes at a premium (but at least new would be far more durable I say.)

What's this stuff about a revised powerpak?

I do like the idea of the HDMI-NES though, perhaps it would solve a lot of problems with the old systems and the modern tv with clarity and lag. I know it won't likely happen, but I wonder how nice a SNES one would turn out.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:28:13 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
So the HDMI board for NES uses the RGB PPU? Is there going to be a reproduction RGB PPU so we don't run the original chip to extinction?

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:32:36 PM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Benihana

Originally posted by: KHAN Games

It's a beautiful thing.

Damn, and I am out of HDMI ports on the back of the T.V.
Looks like the 360 is going to get the boot!

I feel like a fly going towards the light. I can't look away this is awsome

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:50:21 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Good luck dude, and I'm so down for an HDMI NES!

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:09:21 AM
bunnyboy (81)
California

Will there be a way to simulate composite color blending so games that relied on the effect to add detail (eg blocks showing up smoothly shaded as opposed to dithered) don't get left out in the cold?
That is possible, so far the only image changes I have made is simulated CRT scanlines.  Each NES pixel is doubled, so the bottom row drawn at half brightness makes pretty good lines.  I did the same to simulate jailbars but they were too dark.  However there isn't a good way to switch between the effects so blurring will be a low priority.

Originally posted by: Guntz

So the HDMI board for NES uses the RGB PPU?
Does not use the RGB PPU, will be cheaper than systems using the RGB PPU.  The board piggybacks onto the existing NTSC PPU and watches the buses for a full digital connection.  Nothing is removed from the NES so the existing RF/composite connections remain but the extra bus noise probably makes them look worse.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:20:42 AM
EvilEyeball (24)
(Liam Turner) < Kraid Killer >
British Columbia
Will the HDMI nes kit be something that will be Buyer install? I would assume so, I'd love to have one but I doubt I'm up to the chalange of the install so if someone who is wanted to help a man out when they came out if I decided to buy one I'd gladly pay a little extra for that service

-- Currently Collecting --
Canadian Loose 24/64
First Party NES Accessories: Need only Hands Free Controller

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:44:01 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Does the HDMI mod have to be on a top loader? Why is that?
Do I finally need to find a second?

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:54:18 AM
Phins (68)
Utah
If a hardware clone (the newly manufactured Super 8 by low_budget) used the original NES PPU and was designed to replicate original hardware, would it be safe to say it would also be compatible with this HDMI solution? Or is that something you don't possibly know?

This, is Outer Heaven.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:55:11 AM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
It's not really a clone. It's a clone once they reproduce the chips/hardware inside it. His board is a CPU upgrade kit. So yes it should work. But still, this all sounds pretty good.

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 02:03 AM by removed04092017

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:20:27 AM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
Cool stuff Brian! I have these questions: old Powerpak (PP) owners will be able to use Scoreboard by buying the add-on right? PP with integrated scoreboard only means that people buying new PP won't need to buy an add-on? Are there going to be significant changes to other aspects of the PP?

In other words, if I have a soon-to-be old PP, do I have any incentive in buying the new one, or I just have to get the Scoreboard?

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 02:20 AM by buttheadrulesagain

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:25:30 AM
Srimok (26)
(! !) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario

Are you sure NTSC-U Mr. Gimmick is publicly dumped? I've scoured months for the file and can't find it anywhere.

This

and can anyone clue me in to what a scoreboard is?