Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS menu problem Games still work fine but I ran into this..

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:15:52 PM
Agent_chris (0)
< Cherub >
When I boot up the system and go to the video menu a part of it is jumbled up. It's done this once before but fixed itself somehow. Sadly I don't have Internet at home so I don't have the latest firmware. Posting from my phone (unlimited data ftw). Sorry for the long winded post but was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Edited: 09/30/2018 at 10:42 PM by Agent_chris

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:43:18 PM
Agent_chris (0)
< Cherub >
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/MpeoB...

the problem I'm having. ^

Edited: 09/30/2018 at 10:43 PM by Agent_chris

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:19:42 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Without a firmware update, the only thing that I can recommend is a factory reset.

Sep 30, 2018 at 11:44:11 PM
Agent_chris (0)
< Cherub >
Thank you, here's the odd thing I was just now playing ninja gaiden 1 and when I went back to the menu screen it fixed itself.

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:49:10 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Update your firmware.  

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:05:49 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Mog

Update your firmware.  

So has anyone determined what the deal is with the AVS just sometimes flaking out like this?  And seriously, it's just flaking out if it all of a sudden has corruption issues that crop up without new firmware being loaded, settings being changed, etc., but then are magically fixed as soon as new firmware is loaded (or reloaded, in the case of the same version).  I love my system, but this isn't nearly the first time I've seen something like this come up and the solution be "update your firmware."  I've owned my current phone and had it on the same firmware for longer than the AVS has been released; every now and then something in memory will get corrupted and I'll need to hard boot it to fix it--but never have I had to update (or reload) the firmware to overcome such issues.  What's going on with the AVS that this sort of requirement is there?  Again, I love my system, but I just can't sugar coat it when there obviously seems to be an ongoing (albeit random) issue.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:26:29 AM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Originally posted by: Mog

Update your firmware.  

So has anyone determined what the deal is with the AVS just sometimes flaking out like this?  And seriously, it's just flaking out if it all of a sudden has corruption issues that crop up without new firmware being loaded, settings being changed, etc., but then are magically fixed as soon as new firmware is loaded (or reloaded, in the case of the same version).  I love my system, but this isn't nearly the first time I've seen something like this come up and the solution be "update your firmware."  I've owned my current phone and had it on the same firmware for longer than the AVS has been released; every now and then something in memory will get corrupted and I'll need to hard boot it to fix it--but never have I had to update (or reload) the firmware to overcome such issues.  What's going on with the AVS that this sort of requirement is there?  Again, I love my system, but I just can't sugar coat it when there obviously seems to be an ongoing (albeit random) issue.

There are a *ton* of issues with the original firmware, which is why when someone has a problem the first response will always be, "update your firmware." It's easy and takes literally seconds to do (although it looks like the OP will need to download the firmware and scoreboard software elsewhere and transfer it home via physical media).

For a little perspective, some of us had to update on Day 1 because we weren't even getting sound. It just is what it is--what matters is that fixes are and have always been there right from the beginning, and it's important users take the small amount of time to update it. Honestly, with the implementation of interpolation, there is literally zero reason to not update now.

| gameplay and talk |

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:55:14 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

So has anyone determined what the deal is with the AVS just sometimes flaking out like this?  And seriously, it's just flaking out if it all of a sudden has corruption issues that crop up without new firmware being loaded, settings being changed, etc., but then are magically fixed as soon as new firmware is loaded (or reloaded, in the case of the same version). 
All the config registers are in the NES address space, so when a game crashes or is glitchy from being dirty it can stomp over all the settings.  The easy fix is just have those registers locked out when the menu system isn't running, or validate the range of settings (like don't allow graphics borders to cover the screen).  Of course the fix will need a firmware update, so update firmware will still be the first thing to do   

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:02:45 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Austin

There are a *ton* of issues with the original firmware, which is why when someone has a problem the first response will always be, "update your firmware." It's easy and takes literally seconds to do (although it looks like the OP will need to download the firmware and scoreboard software elsewhere and transfer it home via physical media).

For a little perspective, some of us had to update on Day 1 because we weren't even getting sound. It just is what it is--what matters is that fixes are and have always been there right from the beginning, and it's important users take the small amount of time to update it. Honestly, with the implementation of interpolation, there is literally zero reason to not update now.

That's not what I'm talking about, though. I'm talking about how things will be operating just fine, and then out of nowhere there's some glitchy issue that wasn't there before--on the same system, running the same firmware.  If it was a pre-existing issue with the current firmware, the issue should have occurred immediately (such as the menu issue referenced above).  Reloading the same, current firmware to correct that issue indicates it's some corruption of the firmware (or closely associated with the firmware) that's causing the issue, which shouldn't be a continuous issue.

Originally posted by: bunnyboy

All the config registers are in the NES address space, so when a game crashes or is glitchy from being dirty it can stomp over all the settings.  The easy fix is just have those registers locked out when the menu system isn't running, or validate the range of settings (like don't allow graphics borders to cover the screen).  Of course the fix will need a firmware update, so update firmware will still be the first thing to do   

Ok, that makes some sense.  If it's the settings getting corrupted, and not the actual firmware, shouldn't wiping the settings work to fix the non-bug issues, versus a full on restore?  I can see restoring the firmware as a catch all troubleshooting method since it totally resets everything, but it does seem a little extreme to me if a lot of the issues are just settings data getting borked and causing the firmware to act weird as a result of having bad values all over.  I'm guessing restoring the firmware is done just to ensure that everything *does* get wiped, whereas borked settings could cause the existing firmware to act like it's zeroing settings values and restoring defaults but not actually doing so?

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!