Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tetris 99 is awesome y'all playing this on Switch yet?

Feb 16 at 5:11:15 PM
Rengozu (54)
(Jeff Smith) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
Have managed to get to 4th, but man that Classic controller really does me in with the accidental Hard Drops. I want to use that controller but the Up is too sensitive once things get faster. I'd love using the NES Classic controllers for it because it's a perfect D-pad, but then you don't have L and R analog support to choose your targets.

Feb 16 at 6:00:41 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I just use the joycons, the fact that the "d-pad" is 4 separate buttons makes it way easier to hit exactly the button you want

-------------------------
Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Feb 16 at 7:26:25 PM
ap123 (65)
(Andrew P) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Originally posted by: hammerfestus

I would like to thank OP for this thread. The promise of playing Tetris in bed was the final blow that convinced my wife that we should buy a Switch. Just picked it up this morning.

Erm...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_(Game_Boy)

Feb 16 at 7:27:50 PM
HammerDaddy (8)
< El Ripper >
Antartica
Originally posted by: ap123

Originally posted by: hammerfestus

I would like to thank OP for this thread. The promise of playing Tetris in bed was the final blow that convinced my wife that we should buy a Switch. Just picked it up this morning.

Erm...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_(Game_Boy)

Shhh....we don’t need to tell her that.

Feb 16 at 7:44:03 PM
speedyink (0)
< Cherub >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Rengozu

Have managed to get to 4th, but man that Classic controller really does me in with the accidental Hard Drops. I want to use that controller but the Up is too sensitive once things get faster. I'd love using the NES Classic controllers for it because it's a perfect D-pad, but then you don't have L and R analog support to choose your targets.

Boy does it ever. This is the first game since getting the Switch near launch where I've definitely noticed the D Pad. I've been playing lots of Tetris Effect on the PS4 lately, so getting in lots of practice. Never thought the PS4 D Pad was much better but going from that game to Tetris 99 all of a sudden I'm playing like ass. I've only got one round in, made a lot of fuck ups, but managed to get 6th. Definitely trying the Joy con next time.

Feb 16 at 10:06:31 PM
8-bit_boice (49)
(Josh Boice) < Meka Chicken >
Kansas
I'm enjoying it so far. Have got 2nd 4 or 5 times and 3rd a few. Just can't seem to get that 1st place, though. Dr. Mario is more my jam, if Nintendo would drop Dr. Mario 99 I'd be in heaven.

Feb 17 at 10:15:07 AM
noiseredux (26)
(brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
I'm so glad I have one of those Hori Joycon replacements that has a proper dpad.

I got my first win last night. Felt awesome.

Feb 17 at 10:32:54 AM
8-bit_boice (49)
Kansas
I finally got my first win last night and ended up getting back to back wins and then getting like 95th on the next game, haha. You just get those games where everyone is targeting you at the start and you just get wrecked.

Feb 17 at 11:20:02 AM
HIGHscores (0)
(Pinball Monk) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Has anyone else noticed the copyright title screen talks about certain game, characters and sounds developed by Nintendo?

Feb 18 at 1:27:55 AM
Rengozu (54)
(Jeff Smith) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: 8-bit_boice

I finally got my first win last night and ended up getting back to back wins and then getting like 95th on the next game, haha. You just get those games where everyone is targeting you at the start and you just get wrecked.

I don't think it's as random with who gets targeted at the beginning as I always seem to get lit up pretty good right after having a great game.   Still looking for my first win but 4-12th is where I seem to be stuck when having a good round. 

Feb 18 at 1:53:38 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Ok so I downloaded it and gave it a few rounds. Hate it.

Best I've done is 47th place, and every single death is simply for that my screen is VERY suddenly filled with bullshit grey blocks from other people doing well. I presume people are targeting "KO" in order to pile on top of people about to die, as that's how it feels it's going down. I try my damnedest to get a Tetris and suddenly I'm dead. I'm not going all that slow either, I'm holding down to push them into place as I assume I should be for speed.

It's just not fun in the slightest to me.

The appeal of targeting people is fun if you're sitting in a room with friends poking at each other and going "haha I gotcha!", but with 98 other random people seemingly randomly targeting you the fun is just sucked away. It feels basically random, and that adds onto that Tetris wasn't fun for me in the first place.

Edited: 02/18/2019 at 01:54 PM by Gloves

Feb 18 at 1:55:38 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: HIGHscores

Has anyone else noticed the copyright title screen talks about certain game, characters and sounds developed by Nintendo?

I'm faaaairly certain that they've ripped some sounds at least from Breath of the Wild. The sounds are oddly familiar.

Feb 18 at 2:12:32 PM
speedyink (0)
< Cherub >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Gloves

Best I've done is 47th place, and every single death is simply for that my screen is VERY suddenly filled with bullshit grey blocks from other people doing well. I presume people are targeting "KO" in order to pile on top of people about to die, as that's how it feels it's going down. I try my damnedest to get a Tetris and suddenly I'm dead. I'm not going all that slow either, I'm holding down to push them into place as I assume I should be for speed.

It's just not fun in the slightest to me.

The appeal of targeting people is fun if you're sitting in a room with friends poking at each other and going "haha I gotcha!", but with 98 other random people seemingly randomly targeting you the fun is just sucked away. It feels basically random, and that adds onto that Tetris wasn't fun for me in the first place.

This is me with online multiplayer games in general. I mean they're fun, but most of the time it's just me getting owned by all the elite people. 
In the same room though? Infinitely more fun for the reasons you mention.

Funny enough I did have fun with this Tetris 99 game, probably because of all the Tetris practice I've got in lately. Still much prefer Tetris Effect, but this is an interesting deviation

Feb 18 at 3:14:01 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
Finally got my first win, only took 9 hours and 160 tries   I'm enjoying this quite a bit

Edited: 02/18/2019 at 03:21 PM by Bort License Plate

Feb 18 at 4:44:32 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Gloves

Push Up and they instantly drop

Feb 18 at 4:49:38 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Finally got to play this with my son visiting. It can be frustrating but I'm digging it. 2 wins after an hour or so.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Feb 19 at 4:50:34 AM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
Played about 10 rounds or so. So far my best is 11th, with a small handfull eding in the teens. The speed increase when you hit top 20 throws me off and i just try to survive at that point!

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 19 at 9:30:39 AM
winterion (16)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Played one game, got 10th overall, but had to step away. Something like that could be far too addicting, and I've got work to do!  

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

Feb 19 at 9:42:27 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
My joy-cons have been in for repair for almost two weeks so I've completely missed the boat so far. They will be arriving today and I'm excited to try this one. I haven't had enough of a reason to buy Switch Online yet since I don't really play online games and already have all the NES games.  

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Feb 19 at 10:50:54 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Enjoying this game here too, but best is a whopping 15th place. So many times I get hammered in the beginning and cannot recover.

I read there is much more to this game than meets the eye, with the badges and redirecting your trash etc. Haven't had a chance to get into and with Rocket League Friends List launching today (you can now team up with friends on other platforms), I probably won't play for a while lol.

Feb 19 at 3:01:51 PM
8-bit_boice (49)
Kansas
Had a couple really nice games last night. One of them I was targeted by 11 people to start (this was right after I got a 1st, might have something to do with how the random is chosen) and I still somehow managed to get 16 K.O.s and 1st in that game.

Feb 20 at 9:40:53 PM
kguillemette (13)

(Kyle Guillemette) < Meka Chicken >
New Hampshire
Finally hot a top 10 finish, twice in a row! 4th and 7th. I have a total of one knockout ever. How do you knock people out?

FT/FS list  ​​​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Gamecube needs list ​http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 20 at 10:25:30 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
Ontario
Originally posted by: kguillemette

Finally hot a top 10 finish, twice in a row! 4th and 7th. I have a total of one knockout ever. How do you knock people out?

you knock people out by sending garbage, by clearing lines. The more you clear the more garbage you send, so you can build up a large stack and burn it down quick with doubles and triples all at once to send a bunch at once. Also with the joystick you chose your target, hitting up for "KOs" targets people with higher stacks making it easier to knock them out

Feb 21 at 6:39:42 AM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
Everyone should read this to get a better understanding of the badge system. After reading it, I won 2 matches in a row, lost one, then won another, so now I'm up to 5 wins in 32 matches

https://allgamers.com/article/711...

Basically you want to knock out at least 2 people, preferably 4, or 6 or 8 if you get that high.

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 22 at 10:25:08 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Finally got some time with this game. Placed 6th, 4th, and 4th in my three rounds (plus like a 90th in another round cause I lost connection). Wasn't considering any of the targeting stuff pretty much. Looking forward to my first win!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch