Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The most prolific box artist of the nes/snes era! now with daily guesses

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:10:07 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
I've posted about box artists a few times in the past... this time, for the big reveal, I thought it would be fun to play a bit of a game with it.

I am going to list a picture of a game a day.    Each one will have been illustrated by our mystery artist.   A few will have clues as to who he is.    Some will provide no clue.    The game will be to guess the artist's name... 

The winner will receive a copy of a vintage poster of a game he illustrated (I think I have one or two to choose from) from his personal files.    His own copy.   Shipping is on me anywhere in the world.

Secondary prizes will be gold stars     Anyone using previous information to correctly guess at a title he illustrated gets a gold star.      One guess every three days per week.    The guess can either be at the artist's name, or at a title he illustrated, but not both.    

Most gold stars at the end of the contest also wins a vintage poster.  

This should be lots of fun - the artist had an incredible career (still does!) and illustrated a truly ridiculous number of classics, so there will be lots of great games shown  

Today's box art is.... Joe and Mac 2!

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 09/27/2016 at 12:21 AM by Bronty

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:23:20 PM
Retroman86 (20)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(matt williams) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
mick mcginty?

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:28:46 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Burning your guesses quick! LOL

No. Good guess.

Retroman - no guesses until 9/28

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:33:40 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
So the secondary objective is to guess other games he illustrated?

So "Joe and Mac" on the NES?

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:35:08 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

a) correct
b) incorrect - but really great guess.   

arch_8ngel - no guesses until 9/28
Retroman - no guesses until 9/28

Edited: 09/21/2016 at 01:35 PM by Bronty

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:37:05 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

The idea is, as more titles get posted, stylistic similarities and or other info (including other people's guesses..) will help you guess at titles.    Right now its early so there's not too much to go on, but your guess was the best one possible at this point in time, IMO.

Edited: 09/21/2016 at 01:38 PM by Bronty

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:38:24 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Bronty

The idea is, as more titles get posted, stylistic similarities and or other info will help you guess at titles.    Right now its early so there's not too much to go on, but your guess was the best one possible at this point in time, IMO.

Yeah, I was going with character styles, though he could have been explicitly asked to emulate the old style.

(though the fact that the style for Joe and Mac 1 on the SNES looks NOTHING like either should have been a clue to the contrary)

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:40:23 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

The idea is, as more titles get posted, stylistic similarities and or other info will help you guess at titles.    Right now its early so there's not too much to go on, but your guess was the best one possible at this point in time, IMO.

Yeah, I was going with character styles, though he could have been explicitly asked to emulate the old style.

(though the fact that the style for Joe and Mac 1 on the SNES looks NOTHING like either should have been a clue to the contrary)

exactly right.   There wasn't a common artist on those joe & mac titles, and I do believe (though I haven't asked) that he was asked to illustrate #2 in a manner similar to the NES one.   Its similar, but if you look closely enough, its also different.

Edited: 09/21/2016 at 01:40 PM by Bronty

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:44:11 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Is a week too long for the guess "resets", what do you guys think? I'm wondering if 3-4 days might be better.

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:45:14 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

exactly right.   There wasn't a common artist on those joe & mac titles, and I do believe (though I haven't asked) that he was asked to illustrate #2 in a manner similar to the NES one.   Its similar, but if you look closely enough, its also different.

Yeah, the differences aren't that tough to spot, but I figured it was probably worth the gamble since it was similar enough that there could have been some other feedback that changed the design.

It wasn't the NES vs SNES covers that should have made it an obviously different artist, IMO.
It was the fact that the first SNES release CLEARLY had a different artist should have been a clue in "continuity" (i.e. why would they have him do one, but then not the other)

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:45:26 PM
Retroman86 (20)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(matt williams) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
yea 3-4 days is better  

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:45:52 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Is a week too long for the guess "resets", what do you guys think? I'm wondering if 3-4 days might be better.
It's your contest, but a week is a long time, and things will get stale, IMO with that kind of wait.

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:46:37 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Retro man

yea 3-4 days is better  

Alright, let's go with 3 days.

arch_8ngel - no guesses until 9/24
Retroman - no guesses until 9/24

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:46:55 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow?

Instagram
Wishlist

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:48:19 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Nice guess, I like where you were going with that, but incorrect.

cirellio - no guesses until 9/24

Edited: 09/21/2016 at 01:49 PM by Bronty

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:59:55 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Fighter's History (SNES)? I dunno, its also Data East and the big face in the cover looks kinda similar to the faces in Joe and Mac 2. Just a shot in the dark here 

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:01:27 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

Fighter's History (SNES)? I dunno, its also Data East and the big face in the cover looks kinda similar to the faces in Joe and Mac 2. Just a shot in the dark here 

Way off, but I like your moxie  

BertBerryCrunch - no guesses until 9/24

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:20:57 PM
gargantuace (4)
< Crack Trooper >
West Virginia
Shot in the dark..Pocky & Rocky?

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:22:29 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other
Super Ninja Boy?

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:27:01 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
sorry guys, couple good guesses, but incorrect both.

gargantuace - no guesses until 9/24
MuNKeY - no guesses until 9/24

Edited: 09/21/2016 at 02:27 PM by Bronty

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:29:59 PM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
I'm 90% sure I'm wrong, but damn, I can't think of anyone who looks like this. All the people I know artwork from who aren't D&D guys are "serious" style artists. Seems like the only ones well known are ones who do realistic artwork. So I'll guess Tom Dubois. Due in part to watching the boondocks not long ago, and also due to TMNT IV kinda has the same vibe. Kind of. Ok I'm stretching it a bit there.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:31:44 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
A Tom guess is never a bad guess, but yeah not at all.

Ozzy_98 - no guesses until 9/24

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:34:12 PM
futureman (19)
(Cody Greenhalge) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
Congo's Caper

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:35:20 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Adventures of Kid Kleets

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:36:23 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: futureman

Congo's Caper

Now THAT is a nice guess.   You're picking up on the similarity of the dino's tail and such.   Love it.  

Unfortunately, as with arch's guess, the joe & mac 2 is just being done in that joe & mac / congo's caper style; not the same guy, but great guess.

Ozzy_98 - no guesses until 9/24
futureman - no guesses until 9/24