Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Gunstar SNES, resized sprites or original sprites?

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:08:24 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Faltain1

Originally posted by: TrekkiesUnite118

Looks good for what you've done so far.

As for the real hardware question: doesn't the Bsnes's "accuracy" setting more or less give you a pretty high level of console compatibility %? I always assumed that if it couldn't be run on that setting on the Bsnes, it'd likely not be able to be put on a cart and run on an actual console.
My question wasn't about if it would run, it was geared more at how well it was running on real hardware.

Sort of the same thing...?

If it would run really shitty, then there's no point, right? So it's sort of a given it'd only be worth running if it ran well...
Not really the same thing. Just because it's being done doesn't mean it runs well on real hardware. Not that I'm saying it won't run well on real hardware, it would still be nice to know if there's any performance issues with that many sprites on real hardware.

...?

Ok.

Emulation, no matter how close to system perfect it is, still isn't as good as using the real system. I've had bugs pop up on the real hardware when it worked fine on a flash cart, as well as emulation. Hardware tests are almost required when developing a game.

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:06:18 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
Many of you are forgetting that this is fucking Gunstar Heroes. The fact that it might be able to expand to another console is just plane badass.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:26:09 PM
Enig (0)
( ....) < Cherub >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

Many of you are forgetting that this is fucking Gunstar Heroes. The fact that it might be able to expand to another console is just plane badass.

Here's hoping someone will eventually fix the port of Thunder Force III and then port TFIV.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:51:17 PM
Aaendi (0)

(Andy Koenigs) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Anybody on here have a powerpack or neo myth cart, and would like to test this out on real hardware?

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:44:03 AM
TrekkiesUnite118 (1)

(Trekkies Unite) < Tourian Tourist >
United States

I'm honestly still quite skeptical. He hasn't put in enemy projectiles, explosions, multi-directional firing, or homing shots yet. Not to say you couldn't get something respectable that looks and feels like Gunstar Heroes running on the SNES, I just don't see you getting this level of action on the system:

And that video doesn't even have 2 players. Though Treasure did get a respectable version running on the Game Gear. So I would imagine something equal to that level of performance or in between that and the Genesis would definitely be possible.

As for porting Thunder Force IV, I don't even want to think about how awful it's soundtrack would end up sounding on the SNES. Hearing Thunder Force III's music done entirely with bad MIDI trumpets and flutes was horrifying enough.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:11:05 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Aaendi

Anybody on here have a powerpack or neo myth cart, and would like to test this out on real hardware?

I don't have either of those, but I have somethng that will load roms and play them on real hardware. I can take a look for you if you'd like and record a video/stream it for you if you'd like.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:41:17 PM
Enig (0)
( ....) < Cherub >
Illinois

I'm honestly still quite skeptical. He hasn't put in enemy projectiles, explosions, multi-directional firing, or homing shots yet. Not to say you couldn't get something respectable that looks and feels like Gunstar Heroes running on the SNES, I just don't see you getting this level of action on the system:

And that video doesn't even have 2 players. Though Treasure did get a respectable version running on the Game Gear. So I would imagine something equal to that level of performance or in between that and the Genesis would definitely be possible.

As for porting Thunder Force IV, I don't even want to think about how awful it's soundtrack would end up sounding on the SNES. Hearing Thunder Force III's music done entirely with bad MIDI trumpets and flutes was horrifying enough.

Well, nobody said that TFIV on the SNES had to use the default soundset. It's not that hard to get separate guitar samples to use instead of trumpets and string sections like people expect out of the SNES.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:26:37 PM
TrekkiesUnite118 (1)

(Trekkies Unite) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Originally posted by: Enig

Well, nobody said that TFIV on the SNES had to use the default soundset. It's not that hard to get separate guitar samples to use instead of trumpets and string sections like people expect out of the SNES.

I have yet to hear a single SNES game with guitars that sound anywhere near as amazing as what you hear in Thunder Force IV:

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:04:41 PM
Shiru (0)

(Shiru Shiru) < Meka Chicken >
Russian Federation
Sampled guitar usually sounds not too good, even worse that a synth guitar, not too realistic in both cases. But there were some acceptable electic guitar sounds on the SNES too, in Spider-Man and Venom Maximum Carnage and Power Ranger games (theme music).

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:59:33 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
Florida
Originally posted by: Shiru

Sampled guitar usually sounds not too good, even worse that a synth guitar, not too realistic in both cases. But there were some acceptable electic guitar sounds on the SNES too, in Spider-Man and Venom Maximum Carnage and Power Ranger games (theme music).

Meh, there both garbage compare to the great R-TYPE III now that game plays like REAL fucking guitar bro.

I do agree though that Thunder Force IV has amazing music and is one of my all time favorite shmups.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:21:45 PM
Piko (51)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire

Edited: 03/18/2013 at 11:44 PM by Piko

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:49:26 PM
Aaendi (0)

United States
Originally posted by: dra600n

Originally posted by: Aaendi

I don't have either of those, but I have somethng that will load roms and play them on real hardware. I can take a look for you if you'd like and record a video/stream it for you if you'd like.
Go right ahead.

Mar 17, 2013 at 1:36:19 PM
Aaendi (0)

United States
I wonder what is taking so long? Did my game not work on real hardware?

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:13:29 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Sorry, didn't see your response. I'll do it this afternoon and let you know how it works

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:24:31 PM
Aaendi (0)

United States
You should use this file, because I fixed a couple bugs.

-Controls are no longer delayed by a frame
-Enemies no longer "pop" onscreen when being spawned
-Enemies no longer jump 16 pixels for a single frame when being killed
-When hanging from a tree, player character now only snaps to the branch on the way down from jumping

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:21:17 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Awesome I'll be sure to give it a shot this afternoon and let you know how it works

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:11:48 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Tested it out, and it seems to work just as it does in the emulator

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:43:08 AM
Aaendi (0)

United States
Which emulator does it work like?

BSNES v091 (with slowdown)
BSNES v070 (no slowdown)

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:47:27 PM
suicidalparrot (126)
(matt s) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
I popped it into the Powerpak and didn't experience any slowdown. It actually ran quite smoothly

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:03:14 PM
Aaendi (0)

United States
I'm doing a lot of work upgrading my metasprite/animation routine, to handle all the animated sprites, so it may take awhile before I have a demo with explosions.

I currently have it optimized to select between dynamic (sprite patterns being updated on the fly, such as player and enemies) and non-dynamic (sprite patterns that remain in vram, such as explosions and bullets) and to upload 8x8 dynamic sprites in a seperate region from 16x16 dynamic sprites.

What still needs to be done is change the metasprite format, so that the ROM address of the dynamic sprite patterns are defined per metasprite, instead of per sprite, because it will be more CPU efficient.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:41:15 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
Florida
Might end up needing to give the game it's own oscillator.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:56:02 PM
Aaendi (0)

United States
I got it running good enough with explosions.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:44:37 PM
Faltain1 (112)
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
Seems to be working alright... there anything else that's going to be a hassle to get the game fully ported?

To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:02:39 PM
Aaendi (0)

United States
Some of the bosses look like they will be challenging to program.

Eventhough my animation routines are already working efficiently enough, there is still one more optimization I want to make. The DMA routine is an unrolled loop with each sprite pattern being updated individually. Since I already have the sprite patterns organized into metasprite groups, it would make sense for the DMA routine to also update the sprite patterns in metasprites groups.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:43:51 PM
Jordiway73 (20)
(Jason Ordiway) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Keep up the good work