Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

My first "homebrew" - Now with RE released! (NSFW) - A port to the NES of the Atari "classic" Beat 'em and Eat 'em

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:00:55 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
EDIT 6/16

BIG NEWS!!! The RE is FINALLY available at RetroUSB! Come get your copy NOW - http://www.retrousb.com/product_i...

EDIT 2/22

RetroUSB finally has everything ready for the RE! It's even going to feature Vaus support
Just waiting for the labels now, it should come out soon on RetroUSB. Sorry for the delay, but since this is Beat'em and Eat'em, there always is a delay for some reason

EDIT 11/13

Chalice of Honor! Yeah! Don't forget to leave feedback when you get your game.

EDIT 11/7

All the games are now sent! For those that didn't get an LE, we're going to release a RE on RetroUSB (But you should already know that). Stay tuned for RE news

EDIT 30/10

Everyone that has a post-16 LE copy has paid, and they are scheduled to be shipped at the end of next week thanks to Larry and 8Bit Xmas. Check those homebrews out anyway , Kevin and Brian helped me a lot when it comes to homebrewing

EDIT 27/10

Don't forget to leave feedback as soon as you get your games! Switzerland needs its first Chalice of Honor don't you think

Edit 24/10

First 16 games shipped! Expect them soon, post pics as soon as ya get 'em. As for the rest, everyone has paid and Bunny will get the addresses by Sunday.

EDIT 22/10

The first 16 LE guys are going to get their copies shipped TOMORROW according to bunny! Tell me how the copies are as soon as you get them Feel free to make a post Brian.
As for the rest of you guys, I'm currently waiting on a few payments, but nearly everyone has paid for their copy by now. Don't forget Tusk's boxes when they're ready

Edit 15/10

The first 16 carts are going to be shipped right after the Portland Retrogaming Expo. Also, the next 16 people should have their invoice pretty soon. Thanks everyone for your patience, and Thanks to Bunnyboy for making this release possible. Also, James has earned a nice little HoS patch and a classy-looking "BANNED" avatar
EDIT #2 - Everyone should have their transaction. If you see Bunnyboy at the PRGE, you can talk about my game. As much as I'd like to go there, it's a bit too far from where I live (Unless someone invites me as a developer and pays the plane ticket )

EDIT 10/10
Good news once again! I got an amazing deal coming from bunnyboy! He's going to make the carts through Retrozone (The LE is still going to be purchasable from me. The Regular release is going to be available through RZ.) so you should get your carts soon!

Also, I'd like to thank B.A. for all that he did for me. Without him and his mod-work, the release probably wouldn't have been possible.

EDIT 10/6
Finally some good news! We're currently talking business with JimJames and a few others, and I think I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, UncleTusk is going to make a box. It was Generic's idea, and you can PM Tusk if you want a box with it. The box will cost $8 I believe! EDIT: $15, sorry. However, Tusk's boxes are worth it

Edit 10/3

EDIT#2

Seems like GameMachineJames is not coming back, is he? See my latest post to see how he'll probably end (On a certain Hall... The Shame one)

Today is the last day for James to send the games. If he doesn't, I already have a plan B for sending the games. As for the money, don't worry, it's still with me. Everything is under control, I'm so sorry this takes so long, with all those shipping misadventures. I'd also like to thank JimJames and SoleGooseProductions for helping me in this challenge. I really appreciate it guys, and I definitely hope everyone gets their game, sooner or later. As for James, his deadline is today. If he hasn't sent the games today, I'm afraid I'll have to report him to the HoS Master. Again, I'm really sorry about how everything has been going with this release and I promise it won't happen again with my second release, which is, by the way, coming soon. It may not be Gigolo, but it's gonna be fun
Thanks everyone for your patience,

--Vec

Edit 9/28
It's been 2 weeks, and I'm starting to get nervous about this. I definitely hope everything will be okay, but I'd like to make sure the games are shipped ASAP.
I'll give James one last chance to ship the games if he hasn't done that already. Two weeks is a long time to have stuff shipped. If he hasn't shipped the games until Friday, I'm afraid I'll have to tell the mods about it.
I don't want to do this, but this whole thing is starting to look fishy to me, and setting one last deadline to James is probably going to be the only way this is going to work. People have paid for their games, and James definitely HAS to send the games ASAP.

Edit 9/16
Murphy's Laws happened to us once again. James' car had a problem on its way to the PO and it's unusable right now
We should ship on Friday, but this really does suck.

Edit 9/14 - All your money are belong to us! Yes folks, everyone from the 1 to 16 club has paid for their copy of the game. We're expecting to ship the games on Monday or Tuesday. Until then, you can watch gameplay footage on this vid - http://mfi.re/watch/8h4afbzay3rr1...

Edit #2 - Everyone has their transaction. Please pay until MONDAY 9/22!
Edit 9/12 Started sending transactions! First 8 cart owners should have theirs. 9-16 coming soon

Edit 9/6
More of that. Also, carts 1-9 are ready and we will soon take the money!

Edit 9/4
This.

And soon, pics of the games working on real hardware

Edit 8/13 I seem to have fixed the glitch... Now to wait for James to make the reproductions! Our donor carts work great, and the game plays fine on real hardware too... Except for a small glitch with the title screen. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but I'm on a vacation for 3 weeks right now and I don't have access to my source code, so there may be a little delay i the shipment of the carts. I'll fix the glitch as soon as I get back home and I hope the game won't be too delayed ( it shouldn't take too long since it's just one glitch ). Really sorry for the delay PREORDER HERE!!!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

EDIT: All carts are now pre-ordered! You can still post in that thread and I'll put you in a waiting list, which will be used in a more than probable second run

Got all of my donors (At least I hope ). We will be taking preorders on the first, so stay tuned for the preorder thread. The price is going to be around 30$ per cart.

Release time is drawing near, but to do that I need a few donor carts. Check out my WTB thread for more infos Finally get rid of all these spare 10-yard fights!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

*See post #79 for more details*
Seems like there's enough people interested, so let's make some carts. They should be coming soon

So, it seems like there are a few people who want this on a cart... Fairly well then, make a post in this thread or send me a PM, that way I'll know if I should release a cart of this and how many should i make... Also, if there's going to be a cart release, I'm gonna add a few features to the game such as actual music...

FAN MAIL TIME!
NA user GameMachineJames sent me a lovely PM with a lovely picture in it! Check it out!

After going through Nerdy Nights and learning some stuff here and there (mostly thanks to KHAN games), I'm going to release my first badly-written (and even worsely annotated - the src is a big mess) game pretty soon. You can already download the ROM of the game. It's nearly complete! The only missing things are a few sound effects and a crappy background music. Keep in mind this is not the next Battle Kid by any means, as I'm still a beginner in the wonderful world of 6502 assembly.

Download link is at the bottom of my post! Have fun!!! Tell me your score if you want

EDIT : Fixed the freezing spooge glitch! Also, added the aforementioned sound effects, and the only thing I need to do before having a version that would be good for release is to add some music... And unfortunately this may get a little tricky.
But basically, the release version is probably going to be this version with some music

EDIT 2: Release time! Fuck music programming! There's the "official" version where there's no music, and a version with a nice rendition of the Cheetahmen theme... With no sound effects and an annoying glitch on some emulators. The reason I'm releasing this now is that I'm going to a vacation pretty soon, and that I want to move on to other NES related projects! Still, I'm pretty satisfied with it being my first homebrew

(beatem.nes is the "official one")

-------------------------
"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 06/15/2015 at 06:12 PM by Vectrex28

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:12:23 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
WooHoo! Can't wait to check it out. Congrats on your first release.

EDIT: Haha, I didn't get the reference of the Atari port until I opened it.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Edited: 04/02/2014 at 11:18 AM by Mega Mario Man

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:48:14 AM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Lulz awesome!

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:58:25 AM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
HA! I love it. Nice work.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:58:49 AM
Proveaux (87)
(Proveaux Proveaux) < Kraid Killer >
United States
You pervert... That funny and congrats!

(Wife)Someone got 3 packages and it wasn't me...(Me)What are they?(Wife)I dunno. Tapes. Or whatever u call those things.

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:05:39 PM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Good job man! The people in that game are messed up! haha

http://slydogstudios.org...

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:10:17 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Congrats! I am still chugging along at a slow pace!!

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:23:53 PM
lotz-o-boxes (81)
(Peter Kuhlman) < El Ripper >
Illinois
HS:111

Interest check for a Chicago NA gathering! http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:23:09 PM
aupton (11)
(aupton aupton) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Jersey
Awesome work!

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:40:54 PM
Luigi_Master (29)
(Kevin McConnell) < Kraid Killer >
United States
I like how the sounds are even Atari-esque. Maybe you could polish up the graphics a bit, add some music, and you'll have a masterpiece.

Maybe create a clean version so that it could maybe find it's way on the Action 53 compilation cart(s).

I got some goodies on eBay.  Wanna see more, read the news, etc?  Check below:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:43:53 PM
DoNotWant (1)

(Ham Sammich) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
Sweeeeet!

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:09:06 PM
thefox (0)
(Kalle Immonen) < Meka Chicken >
Finland
Not bad at all for your first homebrew. I like it!

Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:33:03 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: XYZ

Congrats! I am still chugging along at a slow pace!!

Gross.

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:36:40 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
Very fun! haha. Looks gorgeous to me!

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:34:16 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Really like the scrolling dude. Nice job. I feel hungry after playing this for some reason.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:57:33 PM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Really like the scrolling dude. Nice job. I feel hungry after playing this for some reason.

No worries. Tusk is in the thread!

http://slydogstudios.org...

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:33:06 PM
SnoopKatt (16)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Ossum possum! NES games need more titties and wieners.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:20:23 PM
Beep Boop! (1)
(Bzzt Bzzzt) < Crack Trooper >
Korea, Dem. People's Rep of
Haha very funny port. You should consider re-skinning it as a kaboom port to add to the NESDev multicart.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:24:38 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Originally posted by: Punch

Haha very funny port. You should consider re-skinning it as a kaboom port to add to the NESDev multicart.

I hope not. I'd feel undercutted.

I need to find an emu and see what this ROM is about now.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:13:10 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Haha! Wow, very well-made for a first homebrew. Great work man!

loaded into onto my Everdrive. Played a few rounds. Anyone else get the endless jizz glitch(?)? lol.  I racked up like 400 points in one round then everything froze in the air when I got to 469.

Edited: 04/02/2014 at 10:31 PM by NESMASTER14

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:20:30 PM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
My eyes.   (good job on the coding, though

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 04/02/2014 at 10:20 PM by GradualGames

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:40:06 PM
Beep Boop! (1)
(Bzzt Bzzzt) < Crack Trooper >
Korea, Dem. People's Rep of
My eyes my ass
For me it is already pretty good looking... the 16 pixel font is a nice touch.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:25:25 AM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
This is pretty damm good for a first brew. Congratulations.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:51:28 AM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Lol, nice job.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:08:30 AM
JKeefe56 (55)
(Jim K) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Originally posted by: 3GenGames

Originally posted by: Punch

I hope not. I'd feel undercutted.

I need to find an emu and see what this ROM is about now.

That looks awesome.  Does it use the arkanoid controller?

This space intentionally left mostly blank.