Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Retron 5 Plays Repro & Homebrews: A list of what works and what doesn't Google Doc linked, please add your tested games

May 26, 2014 at 3:55:14 PM
Johnny (155)
(Johnny Iucci) < El Ripper >
California
I tested all the repros I have that aren't sealed. I have repros and homebrews for a few different systems and I really wanted to put together an acurate list to help people out so please feel free to add to this thread.  

Here is a link to the Google Doc, Please add to it
http://tinyurl.com/kuoa8v7...

I made sure these games actually loaded and played correctly, as some would load, but not play.

Games on the left didn't work, games on the right did.

-------------------------
~Listen to the Collector's Quest Podcast~
   https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
   https://soundcloud.com/collectors... 

Edited: 05/26/2014 at 04:10 PM by Johnny

May 26, 2014 at 3:58:27 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
What homebrews did you try that worked and played?

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 05/26/2014 at 03:58 PM by KHAN Games

May 26, 2014 at 4:04:43 PM
krankcolc (286)
(Arcade Legacy) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio
The ones on the right.

WTB list. Less than 1% to a CIB NES collection. http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 26, 2014 at 4:37:50 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
For your google doc you should add columns for retron version. Assuming they do system updates it will become far harder to keep an accurate list.

May 26, 2014 at 4:49:10 PM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
Nice initiative. Hopefully this will be sent to Hyperkin's management and actually dealt with.

I added some titles that I feel should be on there and tested. Among the most popular and arguably best hacks like Mario Adventure, Zelda Outlands, Mr. Gimmick + Return to Dino Land and Parallel Worlds Remodel

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Edited: 05/26/2014 at 04:51 PM by ifightdragons

May 26, 2014 at 5:11:46 PM
Johnny (155)
California
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

For your google doc you should add columns for retron version. Assuming they do system updates it will become far harder to keep an accurate list.

I figured for iterations I could add another sheet, columns would work too. I have left the doc open for editing. I trust the community here to only put in tested info

May 26, 2014 at 9:24:10 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Nice start, interesting to see what is and isn't working. You kind of have to wonder not so much with the NES but the others why they don't. And even then some people do carts up differently with new boards of chop shop mutilation of another game so that may affect loading/playability too maybe.

May 26, 2014 at 9:28:10 PM
Johnny (155)
California
Originally posted by: Tanooki

Nice start, interesting to see what is and isn't working. You kind of have to wonder not so much with the NES but the others why they don't. And even then some people do carts up differently with new boards of chop shop mutilation of another game so that may affect loading/playability too maybe.

Yeah, by no means do I think this list will be consistent for everyone. The quality of work and how the work was done is going to make a difference I am sure.

May 26, 2014 at 11:06:18 PM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Originally posted by: krankcolc

The ones on the right.

I think he meant which actual homebrews were played as opposed to repros?

May 27, 2014 at 1:37:38 AM
drclaw411 (14)
(Michael ) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Hell yeah. Glad to see Fix it Felix works. Hopefully Mario Return to Dinosaur Land does too.

Now collecting Smash Bros stuff!

May 27, 2014 at 2:21:05 PM
drclaw411 (14)
Illinois
One of Hyperkin's tech guys has taken notice of our thread and spreadsheet. He responded to somebody posting it on their fb page. He said most of the repros on this list that dont work will be made compatible with the first firmware update. He said they're already working on patching in repros and homebrews that people are letting them know don't work.

This is one of my favorite features for the retron 5. For the other clones, if a homebrew didn't work, you were basically fucked. Thank goodness for the OS.

May 27, 2014 at 2:26:25 PM
Aatos (78)
(Eero loves NTSC!) < Meka Chicken >
Finland
Originally posted by: drclaw411

One of Hyperkin's tech guys has taken notice of our thread and spreadsheet. He responded to somebody posting it on their fb page. He said most of the repros on this list that dont work will be made compatible with the first firmware update. He said they're already working on patching in repros and homebrews that people are letting them know don't work.

This is one of my favorite features for the retron 5. For the other clones, if a homebrew didn't work, you were basically fucked. Thank goodness for the OS.
Like I said in the other thread, exactly how do we know this guy is actually a Hyperkin tech guy?

It's been a long time since I realized, I'm not building a great collection, but a great library. 

May 27, 2014 at 2:42:23 PM
drclaw411 (14)
Illinois
The post is buried now, but it was confirmed a while back that all of the "hk" accounts (hk marketing, hk tech, hk sales, etc) are official accounts. It seems Chris Galizzi is the only Hyperkin employee who uses his personal facebook for hyperkin doings.

May 27, 2014 at 8:20:16 PM
tomm1313 (2)

(Tom M) < Crack Trooper >
United States
this is good to hear. Shows they give a shit. Happy to see that.

May 27, 2014 at 10:07:13 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
Might be a good sign to put to bed a lot of garbage of people blowing hot air about this thing without much just cause since this is an entirely beast from the usual defective system on a chip junk out of China people like them sell.

May 27, 2014 at 10:14:02 PM
Oddzball (6)

< Meka Chicken >
But it IS from China.

May 28, 2014 at 11:35:07 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Glad someone is doing this. I have heard through the grapevine that Camerica NES games including Micro Machines do not work. Hopefully they get this fixed.

Homebrews that use brand new mappers like Battle Kids or Study Hall, will likely never work.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

May 28, 2014 at 1:35:26 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
I never said it wasn't, just that it wasn't the usual subpar system on a chip junk which won't run various carts, mishandled audio and video(color) issues and the other popular complaints about such things. This one has the potential cheap Chinese junk or not with system patches to clean up a lot of stuff those garbage past clone boxes didn't bother to do.

Homebrew like battle kid and the like could work. It would depend if bunny shared the info, or one of many credible people out there with engineering talents to take a look at it and figure it out themselves and send that data to Hyperkin if they don't take it upon themselves to do it (less likely.) I think if they're approaching this on facebook already talking about firmware upgrade one to get stuff like this going, they may be seriously for now taking in complaints and wanting to address them to put most of the legit complaining to bed to just leave the hot air filled trolls with less to complain about.

May 29, 2014 at 3:55:16 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

I never said it wasn't, just that it wasn't the usual subpar system on a chip junk which won't run various carts, mishandled audio and video(color) issues and the other popular complaints about such things. This one has the potential cheap Chinese junk or not with system patches to clean up a lot of stuff those garbage past clone boxes didn't bother to do.

Homebrew like battle kid and the like could work. It would depend if bunny shared the info, or one of many credible people out there with engineering talents to take a look at it and figure it out themselves and send that data to Hyperkin if they don't take it upon themselves to do it (less likely.) I think if they're approaching this on facebook already talking about firmware upgrade one to get stuff like this going, they may be seriously for now taking in complaints and wanting to address them to put most of the legit complaining to bed to just leave the hot air filled trolls with less to complain about.
It's been done already. Study Hall and Xmas 2013 have been assigned iNES Mapper #30. I have been in correspondence with the guy who figured it out, whose identity will remain a secret unless he comes forward to take credit. Fact is, the newer boards which use flashed based save data do not work the way normal SRAM games work. They actually have more in common with the FDS system in that regard, since the game data is stored on rewritable media. For example, Study Hall stores the high score tables in bank $06. To properly emulate such mapper, it is necessary to write changes back into the ROM. This would cause a lot of headaches for Hyperkin, and you definitely would not want to write the save file back to the cartridge, because the entire ROM is the save file. One wrong bit and the cart could be toast. However, during normal game operation, only the bank which contains the save data gets overwritten, so the chances of bricking the game on properly functioning hardware, original or clone, is minimal. Another issue with running a newer flash based game on the Retron5 is the CRC value which would change every time the "save" data is updated. Assuming the Retron5 uses CRC hashes to identify the game cart, it would create a new "unknown" entry every time the cart is inserted with updated save info. This is probably another reason why the Retron5 can't be arsed into supporting the Famicom Disk system.

Edited: 05/29/2014 at 03:57 AM by Kosmic StarDust

May 30, 2014 at 3:39:54 PM
NastyRobbie (5)
(Robbie Rainey) < Little Mac >
Virginia
It's running this one just fine after the update! I'm stoked.

May 31, 2014 at 1:50:13 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: NastyRobbie

It's running this one just fine after the update! I'm stoked.

Finally! I got about 2/3 through this game and got stuck. You don't know how long I've waited to be able to beat this game. Now I finally can, with save states!

May 31, 2014 at 2:01:34 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

I dont know. I had a retron 3 a couple of years ago. Broke really quickly. NES pin connection was shitty. The SNES went out. Only thing that works on it now is genesis. All these retron systems imo are not made to last. Looking forward to see Bunnyboys. I know that will be a quality hdmi nes system not built to fail.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

May 31, 2014 at 12:09:13 PM
NastyRobbie (5)
(Robbie Rainey) < Little Mac >
Virginia

Here is my review on the Retron 5

Here is a brief summary of my thoughts

First of all I didn't really like the Retron 2 or 3. With compatibility issues and controllers that sucked I just could never fully endorse them. They also felt cheap. With the Retron 5 they have addressed these issues and brought new things to the table. The controller is great, I can't believe I'm saying that but I mean it. I actually like it. The OS is really intuitive and the updates are going to be awesome. I can be nothing but excited about this system. I'm more excited about this than I have been about any system in forever. So I hope you guys enjoy the review. It's not perfect or fancy but I figured people would want to get the opinion of someone who deals with Retron 2 and Retron 3 systems daily in a retail setting and has been in the local gaming community for a while, as well as collecting games as a major hobby. In my opinion it's worth every penny and is something I actually feel is well made. I've been blown away by it.

May 31, 2014 at 4:24:48 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
quest if his did SNES too and had save states I'd be all over it, but I really just don't need an HDMI NES system as I'm not that hard up for super sharp graphics as a selling point as I have no use or interest in scoreboard. I know their past products were awful but the durability of the things have improved slowly over time. They seem interested in selling this thing at a higher price point and I think they're trying to shoot for something that'll last a bit longer than a $40-50 throw away junk on a chip system.

May 31, 2014 at 5:29:22 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: NastyRobbie

Here is my review on the Retron 5

Here is a brief summary of my thoughts

First of all I didn't really like the Retron 2 or 3. With compatibility issues and controllers that sucked I just could never fully endorse them. They also felt cheap. With the Retron 5 they have addressed these issues and brought new things to the table. The controller is great, I can't believe I'm saying that but I mean it. I actually like it. The OS is really intuitive and the updates are going to be awesome. I can be nothing but excited about this system. I'm more excited about this than I have been about any system in forever. So I hope you guys enjoy the review. It's not perfect or fancy but I figured people would want to get the opinion of someone who deals with Retron 2 and Retron 3 systems daily in a retail setting and has been in the local gaming community for a while, as well as collecting games as a major hobby. In my opinion it's worth every penny and is something I actually feel is well made. I've been blown away by it.
Awesome review, thanks. I'm glad someone likes the controller. I guess these other gamers were turned off by it because it was too clicky or wasn't mushy like the vintage controllers. Just because it wasn't what someone expected doesn't equate to suckage.

BTW, Have you tried any repro/homebrews? I guess NES homebrew/repro is the achilles heel of this console due to mapper hell. Even so it seems Hyperkin is dedicated to adding support to get more games working through firmware updates. Anything that doesn't use obscure or custom mappers should be possibile to get working in theory. Oh, and no flash carts, but doesn't that take away from the spirit of collecting?