Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Delete account

Oct 12 at 3:40:58 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Can a user delete their own account or does it need to be done by a mod?

Oct 12 at 3:58:59 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
why do you want to do that?
And no, you can't DIY

Oct 12 at 4:09:31 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Personal preference, I'll still lurk and maybe join the new NA when it's born.

Mods, please delete my account when time permits.

Edited: 10/12/2019 at 04:09 PM by a3quit4s

Oct 12 at 4:58:47 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Nobody can or will delete your account.

-------------------------

Oct 12 at 9:51:27 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Not even a yellow mod? Technical or access based limitation?

is a ban basically the same thing?

Edited: 10/12/2019 at 09:51 PM by a3quit4s

Oct 12 at 10:06:48 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Just stop coming to the site and logging in. Nobody can delete your account. I don't see any purpose in being able to do so anyway?

Oct 13 at 12:28:26 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: a3quit4s

Not even a yellow mod? Technical or access based limitation?

is a ban basically the same thing?

Dain used to be able to, but nobody else can.

Even then, your name js just changed to "removed (date)", none of your posts are deleted.

Oct 13 at 1:56:50 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Is it a common modern forum feature to allow this? I'd imagine the database cleanup/rake operations after an account delete are pretty tedious, especially if you include individual post deletions (which would alter thread reply counts, etc), transactions, friends/foes (in both directions), feedback, etc. If it were at all manual and I were the admin, I'd definitely deny the requests unless there's a legal or other pressing/convincing reason to do so.

Over the years I've been members of mostly vBulletin-based forums, and if I recall the admins had pretty good technical reasons for not allowing full deletions. I'd assume that applies fairly broadly unless the software itself has the user delete ability fully built-in and tested (trusted) at scale. On here, even a search for posts by user can take a long time, so even if Dain had built in this feature, it could temporarily put excessive load on the database(s) and introduce the opportunity for degraded performance and data loss. In the hands of any user, that could be problematic.

Edited: 10/13/2019 at 02:01 AM by barrels

Oct 13 at 8:39:13 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
More like just delete the user account and personal data and leave the posts. I've changed my email to a fake email and that changes your password as well. So it sent the new password to a fake email address and I'll log out of my browsers.

See y'all in V2 hopefully.

Oct 13 at 2:19:04 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
You're just going to the store to get some milk, right? You'll be back??

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Oct 13 at 2:22:12 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

You're just going to the store to get some milk, right? You'll be back??

Papa why!?!?

Oct 13 at 2:58:33 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Oct 13 at 3:27:09 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

Oct 13 at 4:17:19 PM
HammerDaddy (8)
< El Ripper >
Antartica
Pretty sure you're going to have to call somebody at least a cornball cocksucker for your request to be taken seriously.

Oct 13 at 4:18:01 PM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway
Originally posted by: Gloves

Just stop coming to the site and logging in. Nobody can delete your account. I don't see any purpose in being able to do so anyway?

Come on, surely you see the purpose of having your account deleted if desired?
Wanting to delete your trace in this digital age is a completely natural thing.
Sometimes you don't want all your stuff being up there for all to see, for various reasons.
If you ever build a new forum (which I hope you do), and you decide to not implement a way to delete users, such a decision would be quite baffling.

Not being able to is a different thing, understandable!

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Edited: 10/13/2019 at 04:20 PM by ifightdragons

Oct 13 at 4:44:13 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: ifightdragons

Sometimes you don't want all your stuff being up there for all to see, for various reasons.
If you ever build a new forum (which I hope you do), and you decide to not implement a way to delete users, such a decision would be quite baffling.

The universal norm with forum software is that someone with administrative permissions can "delete" accounts. This however simply removes the user info on the account and access to the account itself. As has been stated earlier in this thread, Dain COULD fulfill this request, but it doesn't delete your posts or transactions etc., merely leaving everything as-is but changing the username to something like "Anonymous User".

Actually DELETING an account and all traces of it would wreak havoc with the way the software works. 

Oct 13 at 4:48:13 PM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway

The universal norm with forum software is that someone with administrative permissions can "delete" accounts. This however simply removes the user info on the account and access to the account itself. As has been stated earlier in this thread, Dain COULD fulfill this request, but it doesn't delete your posts or transactions etc., merely leaving everything as-is but changing the username to something like "Anonymous User".

Actually DELETING an account and all traces of it would wreak havoc with the way the software works. 

I hear ya.

Just removing the username from the said posts and interactions goes a long way though. Many would perhaps even consider that sort of a deletion.

I write shorthand reviews of every classic game I beat on The Backloggery, have a look-see.

Oct 13 at 4:54:37 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

I hear ya.

Just removing the username from the said posts and interactions goes a long way though. Many would perhaps even consider that sort of a deletion.

In that case a "band-aid" fix could be the user (OP in this case) getting a name change and then perma-ban. If that's enough to put a person at ease I see no issue with it (here on NA anyway).

Oct 13 at 4:57:31 PM
ifightdragons (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Norway

I hear ya.

In that case a "band-aid" fix could be the user (OP in this case) getting a name change and then perma-ban. If that's enough to put a person at ease I see no issue with it (here on NA anyway).

Perfect makeshift solution!

Oct 13 at 8:09:37 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Just change your username to something random. Anyone can do that on their own.

Oct 15 at 7:14:32 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Honestly, it's not hard to remove any of the users personal contact info/personal data and have the "removed blah blah" without any integrity issues of the site. Delete all PM's of that user as well and you're good to go.

The fact that this isn't an option here is beyond annoying. Is this going to be a feature of the new site or is it going to be a staunch "no"? In the EU, it's a law that you have to, and I'd be surprised if that law doesn't eventually make its way over to the USA or Canada. But, regardless of law, it should be common practice.

It's also somewhat disconcerting that you don't see a point in it. You don't have to see the "point", but this is a valid request. The fact Jeff ignored my PM's about this speaks volumes and one of the reasons why I've stopped most posting around here (especially in the private threads I'm apart of).

If you don't see the point in it, why is your selling point SSL on the new site?

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 15 at 8:14:11 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: B.A.

Just don't tell him you can view the previous username history anyways. SSHHHHHH.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Oct 15 at 8:33:24 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
Minnesota
Originally posted by: dra600n

The fact Jeff ignored my PM's about this speaks volumes

It really doesn't.  He ignores everyone's pm's about everything. 

Oct 15 at 8:34:34 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Originally posted by: B.A.

Just don't tell him you can view the previous username history anyways. SSHHHHHH.
Perhaps, but that would never show up on a google or any other search.

Oct 15 at 8:52:01 AM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Image result for matt hardy delete gif