Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NA Rarity Index lolwut

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:54:22 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
I am of the opinion that the best way to have a fairly accurate rarity list is to go out and collect a full set. The process of chasing after a full set will give you an idea of what is more common and what is uncommon, rare, etc.

As I mentioned in another thread, the rarest of the rare are pretty much unobtainable, even when throwing money out and placing bounties. But a lot of people look at rarity in terms of value.

IMO, one cannot accurately compare rarity across systems, unless the rarities are adjusted somehow. As someone had mentioned elsewhere on NA, a R10 on Atari 2600 is going to be different than a R10 on NES, than a R10 on N64. Different production numbers, etc, though at the same time, they all *should be* the rarest that the system has to offer.

Likewise, I feel that comparing rarities within a system, yet across different types / regions, also lands us in the same pitfall, unless we take care to somehow once again adjust things. As an example:

Super Mario Bros. (USA) region has is R1 according to the database, whereas Super Mario Bros. (Asian) region is at R7. But I would suspect that the actual situation is somewhat different. Being one of Nintendo's most important game releases, compared to the other Asian region games, Super Mario Bros. probably has an equal / slightly larger product than less popular titles. And thus the rarity (imo) is a bit pointless, since the game is of course going to be rarer for an American trying to obtain it, whereas the folks in Indonesia are turning these carts up left and right. So the rarity should be adjusted to the region.

Or if the rarity is of games is going to be compared across regions, then things such as the single cartridge Sachen monochrome Game Boy games should easily be placed at rarities of 8+, most not even being confirmed to exist up through now.

Then we have the issue of comparing across class, licensed versus unlicensed (unlicensed generally will have a smaller production run) vs homebrew (and the limited edition homebrew has an even smaller production run). So if comparing across class, then I personally feel some rarities would have to be adjusted as well.

To sum it up, where '>' equals the term 'is rarer than', a one off homebrew > a gold NWC > Huge Insect > Flintstones, in actual rarity.

-------------------------
-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:56:29 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Also, I write the above not to criticize the NA rarity list, rather I just want to throw out what I perceive to be some of the shortcomings, and I am hoping it is some food for thought. While I recognize the need / use of a rarity list, I also see a lot of shortcomings with them, and think it could be useful / interesting to discuss these issues and ways to correct them.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:58:19 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
The SNES listings definitely need a lot of work. DarkTone even reached out for here: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

He made some of my recommended changes, but even that is just the perspective of one person. Perhaps it could be weighted to be 50% whatever the administration enters, and 50% from community ratings? (I'm assuming there is a field where you can enter your own custom rarities)

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:47:12 AM
Noobguy (26)

< Eggplant Wizard >
California
NECCRRROOO BUMP

Didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm curious people's thoughts on listings like Xmas 2008 and Huge Insect.

Supposedly 78 copies of Huge Insect were made. It's on the own list of 9 users here. But it's rarity is listed as only an 8.

I was recently told that <50 copies of Xmas 2008 were made (I have no way to confirm, but maybe someone does), and it's listed as a 9 rarity.

Meanwhile, Stadium Events, which has hundreds, maybe thousands of copies, is listed as a 9, and Myriad, which has what, like at least 888 copies, a 10.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:52:06 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: Noobguy
I was recently told that <50 copies of Xmas 2008 were made (I have no way to confirm, but maybe someone does), and it's listed as a 9 rarity. Meanwhile, Stadium Events, which has hundreds, maybe thousands of copies, is listed as a 9, and Myriad, which has what, like at least 888 copies, a 10.

You're not including the hype factor.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:42:20 PM
Noobguy (26)

< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: Ferris Bueller

Originally posted by: Noobguy
I was recently told that <50 copies of Xmas 2008 were made (I have no way to confirm, but maybe someone does), and it's listed as a 9 rarity. Meanwhile, Stadium Events, which has hundreds, maybe thousands of copies, is listed as a 9, and Myriad, which has what, like at least 888 copies, a 10.

You're not including the hype factor.

I would understand for a lot of games without production numbers to use eBay data as a proxy, but if there is a good estimate of the # available, it seems odd to list one as a 10 and another that’s 10x+ rarer as an 8.