Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

We might start experimenting with some ads to help keep the lights on

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:23:19 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I think the point that seals the deal for me is that there are other ways to raise money than mandatory fees. Hopefully this Patreon and coming soon donation drive will set NA up for a couple to few years.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:27:01 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Darth Vader

Originally posted by: jonebone

I'm also 100% against fees in the marketplace, or making them private and paid-for subforums. We have lots of random things show up from new users, from NWCs to SEs to random promo stuff. Same with people in the WTB forum showing up out of the blue and buying a rare. You want to encourage as many new contributions as possible, instead of creating new barriers of entry.

There's more than enough people here to pitch in in varying capacities.

Why should people be able to sell on here for huge profit while Dain must seek out alternate sources of revenue when he has a solid one already? You know most of this stuff is picked up dirt cheap at yard sales and such so the passing the savings argument is bull.

This isn't ebay, you aren't handing your money over to a corporation. It's a community and a very large one. Taxes are real, no harm in imposing a small one here to keep this site going.

This isn't the place to start an argument, we have differing opinions and leave it at that.  The community has been able to support the site for the last 10 years and I'm confident we can still do it today.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:41:09 PM
TotalRadNES (2)
(Steve D) < Tourian Tourist >
California
I'm still an NA rookie, but this place feels like home. I've got you for $10/mth. I hope this plan works out for the site.

Goofy Foot - NES Controller Mod - Kickstarter project is LIVE

"People think I'm insane because I am frowning all the time."

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:45:03 PM
Mystjuph (79)
(Kyle ) < Meka Chicken >
South Carolina

I'm also 100% against fees in the marketplace, or making them private and paid-for subforums. We have lots of random things show up from new users, from NWCs to SEs to random promo stuff. Same with people in the WTB forum showing up out of the blue and buying a rare. You want to encourage as many new contributions as possible, instead of creating new barriers of entry.

Why should people be able to sell on here for huge profit while Dain must seek out alternate sources of revenue when he has a solid one already? You know most of this stuff is picked up dirt cheap at yard sales and such so the passing the savings argument is bull.

This isn't ebay, you aren't handing your money over to a corporation. It's a community and a very large one. Taxes are real, no harm in imposing a small one here to keep this site going.

Because those things being sold for "huge profit"(or small profit or breaking even.. it doesn't matter) will stop showing up(at least to some extent) and that hurts the community as a whole imo. As Jone has pointed out the site has been able to support itself without these mandations for a long while, and while most of that likely has come from Dane, the community does pitch in. I also agree that this is not the place for arguments so I will leave my opinion on this at that and agree to disagree if such is the case.

Mar 10, 2016 at 2:58:01 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Mystjuph

Because those things being sold for "huge profit"(or small profit or breaking even.. it doesn't matter) will stop showing up(at least to some extent) and that hurts the community as a whole imo. As Jone has pointed out the site has been able to support itself without these mandations for a long while, and while most of that likely has come from Dane, the community does pitch in. I also agree that this is not the place for arguments so I will leave my opinion on this at that and agree to disagree if such is the case.

It sounds as though what is happening is Patrion and donations for now, so I don't think it's worth stressing out over having to pay fee's.
Although I'm not against seller fee's, ebay has them is still up and running with new and old users. I also enjoy taking advantage of the feeless buy/sell/trade forum, perhaps if this route were to be taken there could be a middle ground. Such as transaction limitations before you enter fee territory.

Playas Guide Logo

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:14:19 PM
Doc.Stalk (25)
(Carson ) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
I spend waaaayyy to much time here not to donate! Hope everyone else pitches in! I love this site

My want list: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:50:22 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
I am kind of surprised the patreon has not generated more so far.
Look at it this way a lot of you are on here daily. A pledge of $5 per month is on $60 a year 17c per day. $10 only $120 a year

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 03:58 PM by daillest

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:51:42 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois

This isn't the place to start an argument, we have differing opinions and leave it at that.  The community has been able to support the site for the last 10 years and I'm confident we can still do it today.
Whoa, I'm not starting an argument in that sense of the word.....this is a discussion. That is what these boards are for and that is what this thread is for. No animosity here. All I am doing is trying to make a point that a mandatory fee isn't as evil as you're all making it out to be.

I don't think it would hamper the appearance of items here. Ebay gouges and that doesn't effect the frequency in which items appear despite other avenues for resale. You're acting like I'm suggesting that some kind of insane fees be taken out of everything. Small fee, barely noticble, in large volumes would help a shitload. Look how much stuff passes through the seller forum. If you love NA sooooooooo much then I don't see why this is such a problem. This also makes freeloaders who just primarily use this forum to sell (because I'm sure there are plenty) contribute their fair share.

And for the past 10 years Dain has never had to try and get funding as drastically as it looks like he is now.

Bottom line is, I love this site too. I pretty much owe my business to this place. The knowledge contained here is unbelievable. No means of revenue should be out of the question when something as important to the collecting community as this is on the line.

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:29:16 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I don't think it's out of the question, it's just not needed at the moment. Let's see how long we can keep from fees restricting access to the site. If it ever becomes necessary, it'll be considered.

I almost feel like this thread got a downer tone recently! Let's pick it back up! I'm thinking of doing an auction or two during the pledge drive, with a good chunk (maybe all, still deciding) going to NA!

Love this site. Made some friends, built a collection I'm proud of, and learned a ton from being on here. 

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 04:31 PM by mattbep

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:05:11 PM
Ethan4972 (1)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I'll see if i can't support the site somehow. Not really a fan of ads, and I come on here most days. Would hate to see the site get ads.

If it comes to ads though, so be it.

my gameboy collection is coming along nicely!

Still looking for a gameboy light and gameboy micro!

Sega reference before I dip. -Fiery Reign at June 11 at 3:12:06 AM

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 06:05 PM by Ethan4972

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:36:46 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: KAMIKAWA

Totally agree!  Just payed up on Patreon, No way would I have the knowledge I do now if it wasn't for NA! I'll give more when I can!

If you give $$$ does that make you Unbannable?  
While I realize you brought it up in jest, this is an important point you mention.

Donating money to the site does not give anybody free license to act like a prick or break site rules.   While we appreciate every donation we receive, donators are held to the same standards as non-donators.

I feel the need to bring that up because it has unfortunately come up before when disciplining peeps.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:37:12 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I couldn't ever see doing mandatory fees. I've always felt this site is carried by the community, so if the day comes that the community doesn't carry it forward, then it's time to close shop or turn the site into static HTML and remove all interactivity. I'll be doing a donation drive in the next day or two.

Also, the Patreon thing is going pretty well, so thanks again to everyone that's participating. I think the jury is still out on that because it's a monthly subscription, so we'll see how many stick around for more than a month or two. As of now, we're up to $171/mo, just slightly over 25% of our monthly costs. Hopefully with a donation drive as well, we can sock away a year or two in costs so we don't have to revisit this for a while. I may keep the Patreon thing permanently to allow supporters to come and go as they please in that program.

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:34:03 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Im on board for patreon and the drive. Just curious do they take fees and how much? If they do i can just creat a calendar event once a month so we site gets all monies

Just a thought but maybe the access to the buy/sell forums could be a somewhat required/suggested donation of 25 bones a year or something? I know just about everyone saves way more than 25 a year in ebay fees.  

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Edited: 03/10/2016 at 08:35 PM by BilltownSparty

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:08:55 PM
sweetsub818 (20)
(eric alan) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Membership fees, Ads, AND Taxes (ie if you sell something a cut goes to NA).

Catch Phrase #1: You seein' this shit?
Catch Phrase #2: I'm very important. My blessing is everything.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:59:20 PM
zeppelin03 (62)
< El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Dain

I couldn't ever see doing mandatory fees. I've always felt this site is carried by the community, so if the day comes that the community doesn't carry it forward, then it's time to close shop or turn the site into static HTML and remove all interactivity. I'll be doing a donation drive in the next day or two.

Also, the Patreon thing is going pretty well, so thanks again to everyone that's participating. I think the jury is still out on that because it's a monthly subscription, so we'll see how many stick around for more than a month or two. As of now, we're up to $171/mo, just slightly over 25% of our monthly costs. Hopefully with a donation drive as well, we can sock away a year or two in costs so we don't have to revisit this for a while. I may keep the Patreon thing permanently to allow supporters to come and go as they please in that program.

I appreciate you avoiding random fees. So far I have been able to add some nice stuff to my collection and done a lot of good reading on here. Fees have really locked down other sites I have gone to. Having it all open here is great.

Added nintendoage to my patreon account. With how many regulars I see on here hopefully you can hit your goal.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:25:12 PM
futureman (19)
(Cody Greenhalge) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
Supported on Patreon.

The fact that this site is still ad-free and admission free nowadays is refreshing. Lets hope we can keep it that way.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:25:27 AM
jkenned5 (131)
(Jordan Kennedy) < King Solomon >
Ontario
My 2 cents would be to start a donation drive with a tally to get to a goal. Donations can be made directly or from sales with a portion going towards the total, extend the garage sale so others could sell stuff they don't need and maybe say anyone who chooses to participate in the extended garage sale agrees to send a % to NA??

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:33:42 AM
final fight cd (57)
(serious mustache ) < Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Damn, $600+ per month is crazy. If not too personal, how much of this is coming out of your pocket and how much is from the community?

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:12:27 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I am in for the long run with the Patreon man, this is really the only site on the interwebs I visit other than EBay....everything else can just frig right off.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:06:51 AM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States
I have a few subscription for sites like Netflix, Spotify and whatnot that take around $10 a month out of my account automatically. I don't at all notice the money missing and I also don't use those services half as much as I use Nintendoage. I think I can stand to donate $10 a month and I will sign up for patron tonight after I get out of work. I hope it all works out for you Dain. You put a lot of effort into this site and you deserve to be free of this kind of stress.

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:21:17 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

I am in for the long run with the Patreon man, this is really the only site on the interwebs I visit other than EBay....everything else can take off, eh.

Fixed that for ya

Playas Guide Logo

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:21:45 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

Originally posted by: ToxieRules

I am in for the long run with the Patreon man, this is really the only site on the interwebs I visit other than EBay....everything else can take off, eh.

Fixed that for ya

hahahahaha nice.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:09:26 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
The problem I have with the Patreon is the $1 title is the best title. I can't pick which one to get cause "Get out of guilt club" is AWESOME.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:55:05 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
Thank you everyone for the support so far.

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:01:59 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
ty for the site. pledged.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.