Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

WATA Certified game breaks 6 figures Earliest known sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $100,150!

Feb 15 at 10:32:40 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Rareusgold

Anyone that knows me know I could purchase any video game by myself. I like to share my passion and joy of collecting with my friends. And this was the perfect opportunity to own what I consider the most important video game in history with my friends. Isn't that really why we enjoy this hobby for the friends we make. And I thought this was a perfect opportunity to share a once in a lifetime opportunity with my friends. I also own 1 and 1/2 Grey World Champ Carts. And 1/2 of a complete in the box Halcyon! And part of Amazon and Facebook! What's wrong with that? And I hope some day all of them are worth more money! But if they are not I am happy to own them enough to justify the price I paid!

Out of genuine curiosity, how does possession work for something share-purchased like this?   Do you keep it in a centralized vault, does one person hang onto it and the others can access it for shows whenever, etc?

Feb 15 at 10:39:24 AM
Rareusgold (3)

< Tourian Tourist >
United States
It will probably be held in Heritage's vaults for safe keeping. We will try and display as much as possible at conventions. I think it's something that should be shared with the community. So if and when possible we will try and have it available to see at conventions across the country. Hopefully it will help bring other people in to appreciate video games the way we do as collectors and maybe viewed as a true art form!

Edited: 02/15/2019 at 10:41 AM by Rareusgold

Feb 15 at 10:46:08 AM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
oops i just posted something similar too this i have found this article on 3 other forum(s) ...

Feb 15 at 11:14:52 AM
snes_collector (86)
(Jordan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
This seems like a grab to get Heritage noticed as a video game auctioning house to me. Especially with them being not only the seller but a partial buyer. I am sure Wata is happy about all the publicity too.

I'm sure it will probably work out well for all parties.

-------------------------

Feb 15 at 11:17:25 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: snes_collector

This seems like a grab to get Heritage noticed as a video game auctioning house to me. Especially with them being not only the seller but a partial buyer. I am sure Wata is happy about all the publicity too.

This came to mind for me as well. Call it 30k spent on advertising AND a share in an item which will assumedly appreciate in value.

I work in advertising and can tell you that companies spend far more on advertising regularly. Seems a pretty good deal to me, basically free advertising all things considered.

Feb 15 at 11:33:04 AM
Rareusgold (3)

< Tourian Tourist >
United States
Originally posted by: snes_collector

Heritage was not involved with the sale or the purchase. It was purchased privately by a group including Mr. Halpern. But I think Heritage has the ability to share and display it with the collector communty at shows over the next year. Which was important to us as a group.

Feb 15 at 11:56:21 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Originally posted by: beardcore84

My collection is much more substantial than yours. I have sold way less games over the years than you. And the breath of my collection is way broader than yours! So if I’m not a collector. Your not even a video game enthusiast!

This is the single most ridiculous thing I've ever read on Nintendo Age. How childish. "My collection is much more substantial than yours." God, give me a break. Collectors in here sounding like they are on the grade school playground. Unreal.

alright.

i have to say somerthing about this.

Rich is the single nicest, most down to earth person i've met in the hobby and HARDLY posts on NintendoAge and for reasons like the above post.  know your role before you spout your mouth.  VHS tapes are still cheap of you want to change hobbies, so are Turtles and any of the bullshit that Brian's Toys or AFA sells (including VGA).

What you quoted above and tore into for no fucking reason is straight fact.  His collection is hands down more substantial than 99% of anybody on this site and the one time he lets it known he gets torn down? 

My suggestion - crawl back into your hole and stfu.

eBay listings here

Feb 15 at 11:59:49 AM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: qixmaster

My collection is much more substantial than yours. I have sold way less games over the years than you. And the breath of my collection is way broader than yours! So if I’m not a collector. Your not even a video game enthusiast!

This is the single most ridiculous thing I've ever read on Nintendo Age. How childish. "My collection is much more substantial than yours." God, give me a break. Collectors in here sounding like they are on the grade school playground. Unreal.

alright.

Rich is the single nicest, most down to earth person i've met in the hobby and HARDLY posts on NintendoAge and for reasons like the above post.  know your role before you spout your mouth.  VHS tapes are still cheap of you want to change hobbies, so are Turtles and any of the bullshit that Brian's Toys or AFA sells (including VGA).

What you quoted above and tore into for no fucking reason is straight fact.  His collection is hands down more substantial than 99% of anybody on this site and the one time he lets it known he gets torn down? 

I really don't give a shit who said it. Gatekeeping and dick measuring contests are laughable childish nonsense. I don't care whose collection is more substantial. I don't care if it's a fact or not. If you post on message boards saying "nyah nyah, my collection is better than yours!" then you are a tool and I'll call it out whenever I see fit. 

Follow me on Instagram - CodysGameRoom

Feb 15 at 11:59:52 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
No, my collection is the biggest! And i have probably played and beat more games than anyone so I am the best collector!

Feb 15 at 12:00:39 PM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

No, my collection is the biggest! And i have probably played and beat more games than anyone so I am the best collector!

My dad can beat up your dad.  

Feb 15 at 12:04:32 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

alright.

You should probably reread the whole exchange leading up to Rich's comment.

Rich could be the nicest guy on earth, but his comment to Jonebone is petty, at best.
And while Jonebone's comments were plenty silly and rude, as well, responding in kind never looks good.

Would it have been more fair and accurate for beardcore to call out both Jonebone and Rich for being childish?  Absolutely.

But is beardcore wrong that the dick-measuring contest between those two is childish?  Not at all.

EDIT: also.. "know your role"? really? ... give it a break, Josh.

Edited: 02/15/2019 at 12:12 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 15 at 12:07:13 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

alright.

That's the point, there are no "roles" in this hobby.  Everyone is a collector with their own opinions.  I will say that it is entirely my fault for leaping to a conclusion that he couldn't afford the outright purchase, but there are a lot of people in the hobby who stretch themselves too thin.  My apologies there.  

Collections and dollars aren't the measures of a man and I hope everyone gets the joys out of family / friends / experiences and other things in life that aren't so materialistic.  It sounds like his plans for the game, and reasons for owning it as a joint venture, is to display it to others and make it publically accessible.  So kudos to that. 

There's an elephant in the room that people seem to be glossing over but I won't even get into that.  Others can deal with that topic and that's about all I have to say on the matter. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 15 at 12:10:49 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
What elephant would that be? Why mention that you're not mentioning something?

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 15 at 12:11:27 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
The community as a whole needs to get past the idea that the size or value of someones collection somehow gives them more clout or that their opinion matters more. Its a ridiculous idea.

How much of a collector someone is is not quantifiable, regardless of the fact that they bought a whole bunch of sealed games 25 years ago.

Just like someone who is a strict investor is no less of an enthusiast as someone who spends hours and hours actually playing games, vs talking about how much they spend on them.

Edited: 02/15/2019 at 12:12 PM by MrWunderful

Feb 15 at 12:11:51 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
And I agree that the name calling stuff never looks good on anyone. I find it may feel good in the moment but it never feels good later

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Feb 15 at 12:13:16 PM
beardcore84 (7)
(Cody ) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
Jone was just stating his opinion based on what he knew. Maybe the "real collector" line was a bit much but it certainly wasn't as bad as the other nonsense I called out.

Feb 15 at 12:14:44 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

The community as a whole needs to get past the idea that the size or value of someones collection somehow gives them more clout or that their opinion matters more. Its a ridiculous idea.

How much of a collector someone is is not quantifiable, regardless of the fact that they bought a whole bunch of sealed games 15 years ago.

Just like someone who is a strict investor is no less of an enthusiast as someone who spends hours and hours actually playing games, vs talking about how much they spend on them.

It’s human nature Corey.   I don’t know how you get rid of it.    It’s also, in some limited circumstances perfectly rational.   I will give way more weight to a comment on a sealed game made by Bucky, and way more weight to a proto anecdote to Dream.   Those are areas in which they are expert and their opinion counts for more.

Feb 15 at 12:23:28 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Bronty

How much of a collector someone is is not quantifiable, regardless of the fact that they bought a whole bunch of sealed games 15 years ago.

It’s human nature Corey.   I don’t know how you get rid of it.    It’s also, in some limited circumstances perfectly rational.   I will give way more weight to a comment on a sealed game made by Bucky, and way more weight to a proto anecdote to Dream.   Those are areas in which they are expert and their opinion counts for more.

Maybe for strict information, I agree. Thats why I listen when you or Ken or whoever talk about Black boxes, or the guys that were big into unlicensed stuff. 

But I came from a different, non “collector” background. I was the kid spending hours making maps for metroid, perfecting air mans stage in Mega man, going for every ending in chrono trigger. I max leveled my KOTR summon matera in FF7. 

So I only started”collecting” when I was an adult and it was just to play stuff from when I was younger and of course I fell into speculating on rares etc. 

Alot of times when I see people who have these huge valuable collections, I scoff in my head at them because there is a chance that the guy spending 100k on a mario game hasnt played 1/10th of the games I have. But I catch myself because in the end, it isnt a contest. Somepeople like to speculate and invest, some like to just play (and many do both)

Feb 15 at 12:31:03 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky

It will probably be held in Heritage's vaults for safe keeping. We will try and display as much as possible at conventions. I think it's something that should be shared with the community. So if and when possible we will try and have it available to see at conventions across the country. Hopefully it will help bring other people in to appreciate video games the way we do as collectors and maybe viewed as a true art form!

I love this answer, btw. A couple years back I got the chance to actually touch and play the only known Sony Playstation/SNES prototype in existence at a local convention. That experience stuck with me and a few of my friends, and we greatly appreciated the owner's effort to share. This obviously isn't the only seal SMB known to exist, but it is definitely something that I wouldn't have the chance to see if it weren't made publicly available.

Anyway, congrats to you and your partners on the purchase.

Feb 15 at 12:39:12 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Originally posted by: Bronty

Maybe for strict information, I agree. Thats why I listen when you or Ken or whoever talk about Black boxes, or the guys that were big into unlicensed stuff. 

But I came from a different, non “collector” background. I was the kid spending hours making maps for metroid, perfecting air mans stage in Mega man, going for every ending in chrono trigger. I max leveled my KOTR summon matera in FF7. 

So I only started”collecting” when I was an adult and it was just to play stuff from when I was younger and of course I fell into speculating on rares etc. 

Alot of times when I see people who have these huge valuable collections, I scoff in my head at them because there is a chance that the guy spending 100k on a mario game hasnt played 1/10th of the games I have. But I catch myself because in the end, it isnt a contest. Somepeople like to speculate and invest, some like to just play (and many do both)

that's right - different people do it different ways.    But collecting is not necessarily speculating.   Your answer seems to equate the two.

You can play, you can collect, you can invest, you can interact with the medium any way you want to.

You can even spend a decade research box artists, if you want to (not recommended).

Edited: 02/15/2019 at 12:44 PM by Bronty

Feb 15 at 12:49:37 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Collecting led me to speculating, is what I meant. I have sold off 50% of the shit I "speculated" on, and made a ton of money off it. Now I just buy what I want to keep, no matter what it will be worth in the future.

3 people dont buy a 100,000.00 game for the love of collecting, they do it as a strict investment (in my opinion)

Feb 15 at 12:50:43 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
What I want to know is, what is this exact version of SMB worth in mint complete condition. So basically the exact same thing as this, just not sealed and graded. Is it even worth $200?

Feb 15 at 12:59:51 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: imanerd0011

What I want to know is, what is this exact version of SMB worth in mint complete condition. So basically the exact same thing as this, just not sealed and graded. Is it even worth $200?
Yeah my initial thoughts were "quite the multiplier!" but you'd have to compare a true wata graded sticker seal in high grade condition to make a good comparison.  I don't believe we've seen a data point on that and it would depend on matte vs. gloss sticker seal, but I'd assume that could pull in the $500-$1000 range when graded nicely with minimal wear.  Maybe higher with the BB hype that is in full effect at the moment. 

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 15 at 1:02:35 PM
MrClutch (161)
(Ron W) < King Solomon >
Minnesota
I saw this on Facebook and knew there would be a dramatic thread here on NA.

I was mostly surprised by the exposure for WATA as I was reading the article but it makes sense considering that Dan sold the game and is close with the WATA crew. It seems like everyone involved in the sale is happy so congrats to them. It's a headline that we'll be seeing for years thrown around the internet out of context.

Let me remove the eggplant curse.

Feb 15 at 1:09:38 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada
Originally posted by: rlh

Well, keep in mind that at least another party felt it was worth at least $100k, because the got the winners to bump it to their final bid. Bid history would be a neat thing to see.

Anyway, if we want to see this market "heat up" just convince your typical Chinese investor that "video games are the next form of collectible art." In 10 years, you won't find a cart-only game less than $100 because the uber rich of China have nothing better to do with their money other than pump up "investment markets" well beyond their actual value and worth.
Amen brother, just like Real Estate all over the world in the best Cities, shit gets bonkers when Chinese are involved. There are more MILLIONAIRES in China than people in my country!

Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”