Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Anyone think that mods can be a bit lock-happy?

LOCKED TOPIC

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:25:17 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Your first sentence in that post says "anything goes but in a sense of nothing outrageous and DECEITFUL" (i.e. lying)

-------------------------

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:36:53 PM
evilive138 (22)
(Mike Sherman) < El Ripper >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Benihana

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

When I do something wrong (and I have) or I over step my boundaries, my Admins are there to let me know...That is their job...
NOT YOURS!

Not entirely true.

Part of being a responsible citizen is holding your leaders and police force accountable.

Ah, that would be true in a democracy where you elect your officials...
Fortunately for me, I was not elected by the citizens for NA...
Unfortunately for some, NA is more of a dictatorship, and today I get to be the DICK!

Not too cool.

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:21:51 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Wow, this thread went in a direction I wasn't expecting.

I just wanted to clear a few things up so that they aren't misunderstood. I read that the Hall of Shame is likely to come back in one way or another and I think that is a great idea. I back the mods and all of their decisions 100%, they're the ones that keep this place up and running and my favorite place to visit on the web. If they have plans to bring back the HOS in a new format, I totally support that.

That being said, if the mod/admin staff is really looking for a volunteer to run the HOS of shame who isn't a mod here (though I am on SegaAge), I would really like to be considered for the position. When running the hall I always tried to keep the bickering to a minimum (thanks in no small part to Qix) and did my best to do things that would be in the best interest of the community. I never felt the need to play nice or put on kids gloves with scammers, I had no problems adding people to the list even if they were friends of mine( I think I was Chad's aka NoFriendo's last friend he may have had on the site) or long standing members (raregamergirl is a prime example) and I definitely didn't give a shit about hurting the feelings of those who lie, steal, cheat, or otherwise harm the community.

The way it was run kept it fairly simple too and about as fair as I can figure. I was the ONLY person who could add people to the HOS, but mods/admin were the only people allowed to REMOVE people from the HOS. This way, if I add you based on evidence that you were doing something shitty, you don't have to bitch to me. On the other hand, if I was treating others unfairly, mods could keep the thread in check.

If the mods/admin team are looking for a non-mod for the position, were interested in me taking it over again, and maybe most importantly, if the NA community felt comfortable with me taking the reigns again, I really would like to be considered. Anyway, just wanted to make my intentions clear and just give a quick thanks for those who mentioned that I had done a good job in the past. It was definitely hard work, and I have to deal with Dutch talking shit about me on every forum he has yet to be banned from, but it was the least I could do for all the amazing people that I've met here.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:34:11 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario

Unfortunately for some, NA is more of a dictatorship, and today I get to be the DICK!

I know you added the wink and all, but this is really "too soon" and in the wrong thread. Between this and revealing that you wish this thread was locked, I think you should take a few days off. You've only been a mod for three months and you already think it is ok to make statements like this and threaten to lock legitimate complaints of forum policy?

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Edited: 08/31/2011 at 11:35 PM by Zing

Aug 31, 2011 at 11:39:00 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Wow, this thread went in a direction I wasn't expecting.

I just wanted to clear a few things up so that they aren't misunderstood. I read that the Hall of Shame is likely to come back in one way or another and I think that is a great idea. I back the mods and all of their decisions 100%, they're the ones that keep this place up and running and my favorite place to visit on the web. If they have plans to bring back the HOS in a new format, I totally support that.

That being said, if the mod/admin staff is really looking for a volunteer to run the HOS of shame who isn't a mod here (though I am on SegaAge), I would really like to be considered for the position. When running the hall I always tried to keep the bickering to a minimum (thanks in no small part to Qix) and did my best to do things that would be in the best interest of the community. I never felt the need to play nice or put on kids gloves with scammers, I had no problems adding people to the list even if they were friends of mine( I think I was Chad's aka NoFriendo's last friend he may have had on the site) or long standing members (raregamergirl is a prime example) and I definitely didn't give a shit about hurting the feelings of those who lie, steal, cheat, or otherwise harm the community.

The way it was run kept it fairly simple too and about as fair as I can figure. I was the ONLY person who could add people to the HOS, but mods/admin were the only people allowed to REMOVE people from the HOS. This way, if I add you based on evidence that you were doing something shitty, you don't have to bitch to me. On the other hand, if I was treating others unfairly, mods could keep the thread in check.

If the mods/admin team are looking for a non-mod for the position, were interested in me taking it over again, and maybe most importantly, if the NA community felt comfortable with me taking the reigns again, I really would like to be considered. Anyway, just wanted to make my intentions clear and just give a quick thanks for those who mentioned that I had done a good job in the past. It was definitely hard work, and I have to deal with Dutch talking shit about me on every forum he has yet to be banned from, but it was the least I could do for all the amazing people that I've met here.

Mark, you're the man, PM coming.

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:38:30 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Originally posted by: Zing

I know you added the wink and all, but this is really "too soon" and in the wrong thread. Between this and revealing that you wish this thread was locked, I think you should take a few days off. You've only been a mod forĀ three months and you already think it is ok to make statements like this and threaten to lock legitimate complaints of forum policy?

Matt, keep on lockin em up.

eBay listings here

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:02:06 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Can't wait for the HOS to come back.

Put me down as backup volunteer for Mark, we need it ASAP!

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:06:57 AM
Retroscribe81 (241)
(Bill H) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
HOS - yes! Mark - yes!

Pick-A-Dick Friday??? PLEASE COME BACK!

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:26:14 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Mark is a great guy and he did an excellent job when he was in charge of the HOS. He's a full on stand up guy and he's got everyone's back, I can't think of a better choice to be honest.

Speaking of people taking the job and burning out, I really miss Frankie (KidOrron), he just up and dissapeared one day, it's a real shame.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:35:03 AM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: qixmaster

Originally posted by: Zing

I know you added the wink and all, but this is really "too soon" and in the wrong thread. Between this and revealing that you wish this thread was locked, I think you should take a few days off. You've only been a mod for three months and you already think it is ok to make statements like this and threaten to lock legitimate complaints of forum policy?

Quoted for qix because he's on a phone or something.

edit: not working for me either?

edit 2: guess not, here's what qix said:

Originally posted by: qixmaster

Edited: 09/01/2011 at 01:36 AM by AllYourBass

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:38:34 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Originally posted by: SamSpade

Mark is a great guy and he did an excellent job when he was in charge of the HOS. He's a full on stand up guy and he's got everyone's back, I can't think of a better choice to be honest.

Speaking of people taking the job and burning out, I really miss Frankie (KidOrron), he just up and dissapeared one day, it's a real shame.

I think school is keeping him busy, more power to him

I don't think I would have the willpower to stay away, but then again, I didn't watch a single game of football, or play a video game outside of an occasional rampage on Vice City on the weekend with my bro, my whole time in college

(a bit of drinking still though)

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:44:09 AM
SamSpade (61)
California
Originally posted by: jdheins

Originally posted by: SamSpade

I think school is keeping him busy, more power to him

I don't think I would have the willpower to stay away, but then again, I didn't watch a single game of football, or play a video game outside of an occasional rampage on Vice City on the weekend with my bro, my whole time in college

(a bit of drinking still though)

That's good to hear. I was wondering where Frank went.

How the hell did you go without football? That's not even civilized. The drinking goes so well with it too.

Sep 1, 2011 at 1:50:52 AM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Is there any specific mods we can contact when a deal goes sour with an NA member.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:03:30 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I'm glad dude got called out, that's shady as hell to do to anyone. For what it's worth, I won't be dealing with him at any point now or in the future. And didn't that guy get the memo, hating Jonas was SO 2009.

I'm glad I don't go to ebay for my games anyway, it's all too cutthroat for me.

If Mark needs help with the Hall, put me down as a volunteer to help him.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:48:00 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Originally posted by: marvelus10

Is there any specific mods we can contact when a deal goes sour with an NA member.

Nope, any of the mods should be glad to assist you with a Sour NA deal.

Sep 1, 2011 at 7:56:44 AM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
Originally posted by: linktothepastgaming

HOS - yes! Mark - yes!

Soon friends.... soon.

Sep 1, 2011 at 9:32:14 AM
GameBoyScotty (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Don Keyballs) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Pretty cool Mark's stepping up to bat on this. As for the Mods, I think they do just fine. If it weren't for them, we all be packin our irons within city limits. I haven't really seen anything locked, that couldn't have been handled privately off stage to be honest. When my shit gets locked, I'm sure my view will change....fuckin pricks.

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:48:39 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Nah, not really. I mean, for average topics that need locked no, at least. Although I hate when people put LOCK TOPIC in a title, that's the whole idea of leading a forum of information, that you want to know what it would be about, I wish it was changed back to the title before the edit to be locked or something. Sure they may be locked for a reason, but it's sometimes because of another thread found that had the information that they need, and if you search and it's hard to find the topic, then you'll also find the locked topics that actually have a title that has a link inside you could use to find what you need also. Something you wouldn't click if the title just said LOCK TOPIC.

As for locking other topics, I don't really care.

Edited: 09/01/2011 at 03:49 PM by removed04092017

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:50:36 PM
ZOMG! (30)
(NES 001) < Meka Chicken >
California
We should move all the locked topic to a separate sub topic.

FS: SNES/N64/NES Taking Systems In Trade

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:59:07 PM
SamSpade (61)
California
Originally posted by: Arthas

As a moderator, I disagree, if the topic is locked, why keep it going in a seperate forum? I think it is more about keeping a topic in line and letting it run it's course more than anything. No need to let it sit in it's own category. While I feel this was locked way too soon, I don't think it would help matters having an open flame session after the fact. Mods are here for a reason, You or I may not agree but they serve a purpose.

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:03:59 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Originally posted by: Arthas

The MODs will get right on this... 

eBay listings here

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:15:45 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
You can mod me Joey

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:28:45 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Originally posted by: milligangames

"...does a Hall of Shame necessarily have to be moderated? Why not just have a members only "flame section" where people can voice their problems, the accused can defend themselves, outsiders can read and formulate their own opinions, and everyone can argue in the thread, in its own sub-section, until they get tired of it? Why does there have to be any sort of arbitration? I am sure this has been discussed but I'd be interested to hear some opinions."

This is what I was going to suggest. And if we were to follow some sense of form, make all posts uniform. IE:   

Name of HoS nominee
Desctiption of HoS conduct
Link to transaction

If we were consistent with our posts, it would still be a useful tool for people to quickly scroll through to find names of HoS individuals. If it were stickied, noone would need to be in charge of maintaining it. If you are questionable about someone, type their name into the search forum tab, and see it their name shows up in the thread.

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:41:17 PM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Battymo

Originally posted by: linktothepastgaming

HOS - yes! Mark - yes!

Soon friends.... soon.

Greatest news of the day.

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:01:51 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Redivivus

Originally posted by: milligangames

"...does a Hall of Shame necessarily have to be moderated? Why not just have a members only "flame section" where people can voice their problems, the accused can defend themselves, outsiders can read and formulate their own opinions, and everyone can argue in the thread, in its own sub-section, until they get tired of it? Why does there have to be any sort of arbitration? I am sure this has been discussed but I'd be interested to hear some opinions."

This is what I was going to suggest. And if we were to follow some sense of form, make all posts uniform. IE:   

Name of HoS nominee
Desctiption of HoS conduct
Link to transaction

If we were consistent with our posts, it would still be a useful tool for people to quickly scroll through to find names of HoS individuals. If it were stickied, noone would need to be in charge of maintaining it. If you are questionable about someone, type their name into the search forum tab, and see it their name shows up in the thread.

People simply can't help themselves from posting useless nonsense even if they have nothing to do with the issue at hand.  The back and forth gets personal and out of control. Plus just because someone decides to throw your name out doesn't mean you actually belong in the HOS. 

The hall of shame will be back soon, with the appropriate people and controls in place.