Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Games you thought sucked as a kid but enjoy now

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:30:51 PM
8-bit_boice (49)
(Josh Boice) < Meka Chicken >
Kansas
I started thinking earlier and was wondering what some of the games you guys thought absolutely sucked as a kid but actually enjoy playing now. I know for me Dragon Warrior and Metal Gear stick out as 2 games that when I was a kid just weren't very fun. I think I was too young and Dragon Warrior just seemed too complicated for me at the time and for Metal Gear all I wanted to do at that point in my life was go around and shoot people in the face, screw that stealthy stuff.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:37:34 PM
videogamehunter (56)
(Tyler Bartsch) < Ridley Wrangler >
Kentucky
Sonic 2 and Metal Gear Solid. When I was little I never did get fare in these two games. I kept dieing in sonic and always put in Super Sonic Code and Debug mode on to make the game easier, On Metal Gear Solid I just goof off most of the time. Not taking the game seriously. I use to think this game suck but now I know better and it one of my all time favorite games.

-------------------------

My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/hotanime32   

New Video - Why You Should Get A Retron 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p...

My Drawings - http://videogamehunter.deviantart.com/

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:43:41 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Zelda 2. As a kid I thought that game was awful compared to the original. It also didn't help that it was ridiculously difficult. I picked up a copy again a few months ago, played it all the way through and I really didn't think it was too bad. It's still not one of my favorite games, but I actually enjoyed playing it this time around.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:47:04 PM
jkenned5 (131)
(Jordan Kennedy) < King Solomon >
Ontario
anything that involved reading, i hated text heavy games as a kid.... that's why i never got far in them but i love reading now and getting deeper into the stories.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:13:59 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I'm not so much sure I'd say it sucked, but it pissed me off, drove me nuts, yet because of that I kept digging at it off and on for years only to oddly enough finish the arcade version at a boys and girls club after a good many quarters and the NES one after. And that game, Ghosts 'N Goblins, as it's pure evil and you know it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:24:41 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I'm waiting to see if anyone says World Class Track Meet or Donkey Kong Jr Math. I hated the idea of video games making me exercise or do math as a kid and I still think it sucks.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:26:35 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
I used to hate Metal Gear as well. I had no idea what to do and thought it was stupid that all you started the game with was cigarettes. I gave it another chance as an adult and now I absolutely love the game. Actually, I think I like Snake's Revenge more now than Metal Gear.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:27:07 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Ghouls and Ghosts on the genesis, that game destroyed my sanity when I was a kid, I really enjoy it now. It's one of those games that requires alot of persistance but I wasn't having it back in the day.

I used to think that the sega cd sucked when I was a kid, I was all stoked to get one on clearance and all the games I got for it were total shit. That being said, I like collecting for it now. Lots of hidden gems for it that are way better than playing Power Rangers.

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I'm waiting to see if anyone says World Class Track Meet or Donkey Kong Jr Math. I hated the idea of video games making me exercise or do math as a kid and I still think it sucks.

That's why I don't own a wii. I like to keep video games and exercise the fuck away from eachother, it's like vodka and a glass of milk. Sure you can probably drink it, but it sure doesn't sit too well.

Edited: 12/15/2011 at 12:28 AM by SamSpade

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:52:46 AM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Final Fantasy II for SNES. I used to hate the fact the characters on screen never stoped moving their feet. After I started to really get more in to RPGs I played through many, but just never got around to FFIV. I knew if I gave it a chance I would like it. Finally beat it when it released on GBA and I absolutely loved it. But the feet still bug me.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:09:57 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Super Mario RPG! I loved Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana and other J-RPG's for the SNES but I couldn't get into SM:RPG for some reason. I know it's made by Square AND Nintendo, but I just couldn't do it...now however, I love it.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:11:29 AM
Polonius (17)
(Pete B) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Legend of Kage for me. Just couldn't figure out how to survive more than 30 seconds. The first mage would always kill me, if I could get that far. I liked pretty much every other game I owned, but now I'm really intrigued by Kage and try it again now and then.

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:21:59 AM
Cabanon (53)
(Louis Duquet) < Lolo Lord >
Quebec
Diddy Kong Racing. i struggled so many times with this game and last week i just beat the crap out of it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:48:35 AM
N64ADL (12)
(ryan fowler) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
majoras mask, i hated that game because of its 3 day time and save feature, now i absolutetly LOVE IT!!! its one of the hardest 3d zelda games in my opinion now and i am savoring it by how i got it vga'd with 85+ archival.

N64 All the way (except Final fantasy 3 on snes :)

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:11:47 PM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Honestly, I can't think of any of them in particular, but there are a handful of games I loved when I was a kid but don't love so much now. Not that I hate 'em, but I'm just like, "Wow, this wasn't *that* good..."

If I had to go out on a limb, I'd probably say Quest 64. I didn't like it very much when I was younger, and it's not that great now, but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:14:43 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Nightowljrm

Honestly, I can't think of any of them in particular, but there are a handful of games I loved when I was a kid but don't love so much now. Not that I hate 'em, but I'm just like, "Wow, this wasn't *that* good..."

That's kinda my feelings on Altered Beast, I used to love that game as a kid and now I think it's pretty bad. I get tons of hate for it, but the game is one of those that you remember it being better than it was until you replay it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:43:20 PM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: SamSpade

Originally posted by: Nightowljrm

That's kinda my feelings on Altered Beast, I used to love that game as a kid and now I think it's pretty bad. I get tons of hate for it, but the game is one of those that you remember it being better than it was until you replay it.

I actually think Altered Beast is a very poor game. It's nice when you're bored enough to play it, but I've never seen the appeal. I'd say 90% of people's enjoyment from that game is derived through nostalgia...

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:56:18 PM
Ray Bot (82)
(Ray Bot) < Lolo Lord >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: SamSpade

Ghouls and Ghosts on the genesis, that game destroyed my sanity when I was a kid, I really enjoy it now. It's one of those games that requires alot of persistance but I wasn't having it back in the day.

I used to think that the sega cd sucked when I was a kid, I was all stoked to get one on clearance and all the games I got for it were total shit. That being said, I like collecting for it now. Lots of hidden gems for it that are way better than playing Power Rangers.

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

That's why I don't own a wii. I like to keep video games and exercise the fuck away from eachother, it's like vodka and a glass of milk. Sure you can probably drink it, but it sure doesn't sit too well.

Vhat iz dis? You no like Vhite Russian?

Super Nintendo Sega Genesis, when i was dead broke man i couldn't picture this.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:08:32 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
I would say Ninja Gaiden surprisingly enough. It was way too hard when I first played it but now its easily my favorite.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:16:08 PM
Abelardo (77)
(Abelardo González) < El Ripper >
Mexico
Final Fantasy, but honestly I didn't thought it sucked, it was kind of mesmerizing for my 10 or 11 year old self even though I could barely understand a few words! A few years later my english improved and finally enjoyed it.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:30:44 PM
Fuzzypants (4)
(Fuzzy Pants) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: Tanooki

I'm not so much sure I'd say it sucked, but it pissed me off, drove me nuts, yet because of that I kept digging at it off and on for years only to oddly enough finish the arcade version at a boys and girls club after a good many quarters and the NES one after. And that game, Ghosts 'N Goblins, as it's pure evil and you know it.

ding ding ding we have a winner!

gives me nightmares to this day lol

FuzzyPants

FS/FT  Thread -> http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...
GB System Master Checklist -> http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...
Currently Playing:
Getting my butt handed to me in Gradius (NES) stage 6!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:56:14 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
And to think this glutton for punishment just won it on ebay yesterday for $12 shipped on GBC. May the abuse ensue again soon.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:33:30 PM
Hallucard (10)
(Kevin Larson) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I agree with Ghosts and Goblins, but i still get angry with that game.

As per the point of the thread, despite my love for Zelda games, I HATED Zelda 2 as a kid. It was just too hard as a kid I love it today for that challenge.

As for Majora's Mask, I cant bring that one up cause i never hated it as a kid.

3DS Friend Code: 4468-1134-5121
Nintndo Network ID (WiiU):  Hallucard

My eBay Profile: (My Auctions on eBay)

http://myworld.ebay.com/hallucard

My For Sale / WTB Thread

My Zelda collection

WTB:
BOXES:

JPN: Link to the Past/Four Swords.
Zelda No For Resale Carts. OoT N64, Phantom Hourglass, MM Grey (i know, i can dream though), Skyward Sword.
OTHER:
Zelda Barcode Battler II: Card Set (Japanese Item)

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:47:42 PM
galacticlint (99)
< Meka Chicken >
United States

Edited: 08/06/2012 at 05:23 AM by galacticlint

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:51:08 PM
Pale Horse (45)
(Shaun ) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Actraiser

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:54:48 AM
sconley666 (21)
(Sean C) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Hallucard

I agree with Ghosts and Goblins, but i still get angry with that game.

As per the point of the thread, despite my love for Zelda games, I HATED Zelda 2 as a kid. It was just too hard as a kid I love it today for that challenge.

As for Majora's Mask, I cant bring that one up cause i never hated it as a kid.

I love Dragon Warrior and I love Zelda, and I loved both as a kid.  But I thought Zelda 2 was BALLS.  It just felt so crappy compared to the majesty that was the original.  I remember when Ocarina of time came out and I played it and it was awesome.  I was stoked for Majora's Mask, and then it happened.....something I happen to call "Zelda 2-idous."  Today I can appreciate Zelda 2 and have even finished it (jesus....difficult is the only word that comes to mind) but I was pleased.  BUT to this day I have yet to put Majora's Mask back in my N64.  I got only so far and literally just gave up, put it back into the box and it has been there untouched since 2000.  I am not even fucking kidding.

Nice Triforce award BTW!

"Bionic Commando needs a jump button like Tetris needs a life bar." --cradelit

Edited: 12/16/2011 at 06:55 AM by sconley666