Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Would you send games to Wata for grading right now? Still in transition? Overloaded?

Sep 06 at 3:59:45 PM
startyde (3)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Originally posted by: VelvetElf

I have a bunch of orders that have been marked as "Completed" for over 10 days and have received no notice of shipping or confirmation they've been sent out. Anyone else encounter this? Does WATA send you shipping confirmations? How do you actually know when they sent the package?

I posted the same thing in the other thread.  7/17 submission, 15 day bracket, marked as completed, but that's it.  No shipping info, no notice of pending shipment.

Same. My grades have been available for a little over two weeks, but no indication of shipping.

I just hit my 2 month anniversary yesterady for my 15 day order. Yikers. 

-------------------------

Sep 06 at 4:23:59 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Sounds like they have a huge pile of very valuable games right now. Let's hope nothing bad happens. Imagine if they were HQ'd in the Bahamas.

Sep 06 at 6:51:03 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I took "Starbs" for a test drive with my wife. She was not impressed.

Good.   I hope she threw something at you.

Sep 07 at 2:24:15 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Ask your rents if we can get some za

Sep 07 at 4:02:55 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
I'm amazed so many people agree that "Cart" should be "Cartridge." I wasn't expecting that sort of response.

Sep 08 at 1:57:54 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Cart vs cartridge: from as long as I can remember, they were referred to as carts. If we want to get technical, shouldn't they be referred to as game paks? Yup, that's sort of my point. Since the mass uses the term cart, I wouldn't personally want to see anything else on the package.

Pedigree: I think pedigree status shouldn't be passed out willy Nilly. With that said, about 60 - 80% of my personal collection has been gotten from a local guy that has a storehouse of games, likely he had a toy/game store years back, or was a distributor. I think the stuff gotten from him definitely would deserve pedigree status, considering the high quality and quantity of items, as well as the backstory, which remains unknown in its entirety at this point. On the other hand, Joe schmoes collection, nah, not worth having a pedigree. Gotta be significant for that status

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Sep 08 at 9:30:58 PM
wyansas (22)
< Little Mac >
California
I don't see how grading services can be good for the collecting hobby. The problem it creates (high prices) will be 10x worse and more prohibitive than the problem it "solves" (authenticity). Just be knowledgeable, smart, and patient and save your money.

Edited: 09/08/2019 at 09:33 PM by wyansas

Sep 08 at 9:35:17 PM
Maertens29 (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: wyansas

I don't see how grading services can be good for the collecting hobby. The problem it creates (high prices) will be 10x worse and more prohibitive than the problem it "solves" (authenticity). Just be knowledgeable, smart, and patient and save your money.

It also solves the issue of standardizing condition; at least, it's better than everything being "minty". High prices exist whether or not the item is graded. The 30k Mario sale a few years ago was huge news. It was NOT graded.

I'm looking for a mint, factory sealed Dragon Ball Advanced for gameboy advance, let me know!

Sep 08 at 10:01:03 PM
wyansas (22)
< Little Mac >
California
And if it were graded, it would go for $50K+.
And a wata 1-10 condition score isn't going to make you buy it. You're gonna ask to see good pictures of it before you buy it no matter what, and you buy it based off the impression you get when you look at it, and you don't need wata for that. And standardizing condition, a subjective assessment anyway, is hardly worth the price we'd pay.
Wata and vga are scams. The businesses themselves are probably legit, but the practice of artificially adding value to dying media that people are already losing interest in isn't going to work out well. Keep this up and game collecting is going to go the way of collecting fine art and there will just be a group of elite rich nerds trading slabs that they can't play back and forth.

Edited: 09/08/2019 at 10:13 PM by wyansas

Sep 08 at 10:50:33 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: wyansas

And if it were graded, it would go for $50K+.
And a wata 1-10 condition score isn't going to make you buy it. You're gonna ask to see good pictures of it before you buy it no matter what, and you buy it based off the impression you get when you look at it, and you don't need wata for that. And standardizing condition, a subjective assessment anyway, is hardly worth the price we'd pay.
Wata and vga are scams. The businesses themselves are probably legit, but the practice of artificially adding value to dying media that people are already losing interest in isn't going to work out well. Keep this up and game collecting is going to go the way of collecting fine art and there will just be a group of elite rich nerds trading slabs that they can't play back and forth.

Grading a game doesn't add any value to it. An ungraded game that is in 9.4 condition would sell for exactly the same amount as the same game with a 9.4 grade on it.  The only thing it changes is if someone thinks it's a 8.4 grade and it actually turns out to get a 9.2 grade, it's obviously worth more because it was understated initially. I don't know why people think putting plastic over a game makes it worth more.