Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Gamecube Game Boy Player and EZ Flash IV? Will It Work?

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:33:02 PM
wadeboggsmustache (6)

< Tourian Tourist >
Massachusetts
Hi,

Potentially an easy question:  if I purchased a Gamecube Game Boy Player and this http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV_p_76.html
are they compatible?  Could I load it with GB, GBC, and GBA roms and play them on my Gamecube?  Any other recommendations for flash cards for the Gamecube Game Boy Player?  Thanks!

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:12:15 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Well the GB Player guts are a standard GBA, just happens to output through the Gamecube more or less. I have the ez-flash iv which is the one in your picture. I've had no issue running it a gba sp, gb micro, and the DS units that can run it so I'd think it would work fine.

As far as loading it up, yes you can but there are limits.

Basically how it works is that if you want to do GB and GBC stuff, you need to use GOOMBA and GOOMBA COLOR respectively. That said, you can not just load a crap ton of games and expect it to work. I can't remember exactly the threshhold on it as far as a maximum goes but somewhere in the neighborhood I think of 16MB or so will work. At some point the ROM gets too big and it will fail to load at all in flash card via the menu, or the rom will be corrupt and only read only so far into it so some games won't work.

What I did for myself after learning that was to create a Goomba.gb with just b&w stuff, then I did a goombaGBC1 and 2 file which I split my GBC games up evenly. So once you use the goomba builder that makes these, you can just use the software that comes with the card to load them onto the SD card, but you have to use their app or it can and usually will mess things up. Once there, just boot the GBA up, click the game in the shell menu the flash card has and the emulator file with the roms in it will fire up in a moment.

I've looked and it's the only good one left made that has the highest of compatibility. There are a few others but they're picky and smaller, and then you have the old products from years ago and good luck finding any of that, plus they're limited down to like 32MB or 64MB of files at most max while the ezflash can handle a couple of GB of files.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:28:46 AM
csgx1 (20)
(Corbin B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
I've used the original EZ Flash I with the Gamecube Gameboy player and gba game play perfectly. Though I never messed with Goomba for GB and GBC games on the flash cart.

I have a USB Smart Card for GB and GBC games but I don't think I've actually tested it on the GC player.

-------------------------

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:23:07 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
They'll work, but you have to "patch" GBA games first with some program GBAT or something like that. GB and GBC roms need emulation, which isn't ideal. Oh and good luck finding a MiniSD card. You can use a Mini to Micro SD card adapter but it has problems.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:52:56 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
EZ Client 4 which you can get from their website, or hey I can send you it too if that's a problem will do the patching for you so games will save. Games alone will just work on the cart if I remember right but without patching saving can be a problem as are some of the other features the ezflash allows which won't be enabled.

standigz what problem did you have with your mini to micro sd convertor as I've never had an issue.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:47:03 PM
wadeboggsmustache (6)

< Tourian Tourist >
Massachusetts
Thanks for the advice everyone. So what can I get that is simple to use (honestly I'm not well versed in more than just downloading and playing ROMs) for use with a Gamecube Gameboy Player to play GB, GBC, and GBA roms? If you have links even better! Thanks in advance. (Basically without the above mentioned patching etc.)

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:33:14 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
The ez-flash 4 is the easiest. Let's put it this way.

Step by step:
1) Download ROM(s)
2) Start up EZ4 Client v1.03
3) Click game from Windows like 'Open' menu
4) If you wish to patch it click the patch check box button on the left side of the box
5) Click send to have to go into your Micro SD card

That's it. Just then slip the micro card into the mini sd adapter and slide it into the EZFlash 4 GBA cart and put it in your system and start it up. You'll get a menu and from there just d-pad over to it, hit the button and the game plays.

The only thing easier you can't buy anymore which were flash carts from the earlier/mid 2000s which had a USB cable in top, or was a usb cable into a dock which you'd place the flashcart and still transfer the games the same way except with a hell of a lot less space since they didn't have sd cards but chips you flash the game to.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:37:30 PM
I need flintstones (3)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Trevor Wisecup) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
Explained very well.

Want to trade for any rare Nes or Snes games and manuals!

Sep 26, 2012 at 12:36:45 PM
wadeboggsmustache (6)

< Tourian Tourist >
Massachusetts
Thank you very much! I think I know my next purchases. Much appreciated!

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:41:45 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
I read that on the EZ flash website a while ago. As a precaution I tracked down an actual MiniSD card for myself. If a microSD and an adapter work for you that's great. I just figured it was important to be aware of it is all.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:59:50 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
I got mine used from a member here to save the hassle of overseas bs with my creditcard and to save like $5 so it is what I ended up with and it never treated me or that user wrong at all.