Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

nesruler contrest presents: Spy Hunter Ends next sunday at 9 pm central time

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:24:38 PM
nesruler22 (94)
(Jeremy Freeman) < King Solomon >
Illinois
NEED RULES
this weeks game is spy hunter
ends next sunday at 9 pm central time, if this is a bad pick lmk....
take a picture with ur score+ name
good luck
Jeremy

-------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/nesruler22...

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:40:10 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
I like Spyhunter, I'll give it a shot.

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:46:24 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
This sounds doable. I'll give it a shot as well.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:07:46 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Cool, might give it a go this week. I would say it's a good choice, I think the game loops forever, so perfect for a high score contest

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:12:46 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: jdheins

Cool, might give it a go this week. I would say it's a good choice, I think the game loops forever, so perfect for a high score contest

Well, if it loops forever, this might bring other problems. Nobody likes to play 10 hours to record a score. I'll do some test later and see what is going on with spy hunter.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:38:18 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: jdheins

Well, if it loops forever, this might bring other problems. Nobody likes to play 10 hours to record a score.

That was my thought too.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:48:18 PM
nesruler22 (94)
Illinois
so dam hard picking games, b.c every week my game that i choose has a problem with it and i have to choose another one,, man should get a list of games that work and ones that dont work
Jeremy

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:11:34 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
Or you could test a game out before you announce it as the game of the week

I have thought it might be a good idea to have a "contest panel" or something.
Make a private thread and invite whoever would like to help choosing the parameters for each weeks game. If you come up with a potential game by saturday the panel could have a chance to all test it out and see what the general consensus is. I'm willing to donate time here and there if you want to do something like this.

Edited: 02/15/2010 at 12:16 AM by Herbalist

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:20:45 AM
nesruler22 (94)
Illinois
alright!
Anybody intrested in doing a Contest panel pm me and let me know! First 5 ppl only!
Thanks!
Jeremy!
Prizes will be packed up tommrow for sho
Jeremy

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:24:15 AM
Herbalist (139)
Wisconsin
I think it may be best to invite the people who are most active in the contest, but I see no need to limit it to 5 people. Another set of eyes is always good to have. Also, there may be weeks when 2 or 3 of the people may not have time to help or just decline for the week. I think you, mog, tall guy, guillavoie, dr robbie, OSG & arch would be a pretty good start. (pending if they feel like it or not obviosuly)
I say let whoever wishes to have input have their voice heard too.
IDK. Just a thought.

EDIT: Perhaps it shouldn't be a private thread in retrospect. For one, people on the panel would potentially have a small advantage by knowing the game of the week a day in advance.  Not really a big deal, but I could see a complaint wagered.

Edited: 02/15/2010 at 12:27 AM by Herbalist

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:24:54 AM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: Herbalist

I think it may be best to invite the people who are most active in the contest, but I see no need to limit it to 5 people. Another set of eyes is always good to have. Also, there may be weeks when 2 or 3 of the people may not have time to help or just decline for the week. I think you, mog, tall guy, guillavoie, dr robbie, arch & myself would be a pretty good start.
IDK. Just a though.

Amen

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:39:14 AM
nesruler22 (94)
Illinois
2-5 slots filled need 3 more ppl!
Jeremy

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:55:02 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
as far as choosing appropriate games, we should just have the full list of nes games and a. work out a set of rules for the contest or b. call it non-contest-eligible if we can't figure out a good competition. when sunday comes around, you can pick a random game for which we have established rules. a couple of the panel members could review any suggested rules provided by the larger community.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:13:50 AM
Herbalist (139)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Lincoln

as far as choosing appropriate games, we should just have the full list of nes games and a. work out a set of rules for the contest or b. call it non-contest-eligible if we can't figure out a good competition. when sunday comes around, you can pick a random game for which we have established rules. a couple of the panel members could review any suggested rules provided by the larger community.

We went though and largeyl determined which games had scoring systems laready here:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

The problem with screening them further is all the up front time involved. I think its just less hassle to do it on a per-game basis.

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:11:00 AM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
Just tried it out. There can be 3 ways to play this:

1) One death, period. If you crash, it's over. This would be extremely hard, but isn't that what these are all about?
2) One death AFTER the 999 timer is up. Still somewhat hard, but I really don't see a big difference between this and the first one, other than being able to rack up some points in those 999 seconds (and it would virtually be the same amount for most people, as the goal would be to go straight w/o crashing for those 999 seconds).
3) Using up all lives until you die. I think you can get extra lives somehow (I remember reading that when I was skimming through the manual), so for that reason alone I personally think this should be out.

1 seems like the best choice.

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:33:28 AM
Herbalist (139)
Wisconsin
Personally I believe games should be played how they are presented. If the programmers only wanted you to get 1 guy, they'd only give you one guy. One life rules does greatly reduce the time invested to play, but I find it more annoying and less fun. Making 1 stupid error can ruin an otherwise falwless run. It becomes more like a "who can play the most perfect round of.." then "who can get the highest score".
Sure some people may be able to loop the game forever, but I'm sure many of us probably wont be able to do that anyway. Those who can, surely deserve to be the high rollers.
I hate top down vertical car games like this so I'll probably give this one a half-ass offering sadly

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:26:00 AM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I don't like trying to one-life games where it's quite likely I will die within the first 30 seconds.

On the other hand, the score rolls over at 1 million points.

On the other other hand, I will be stupefied if anyone can crack 200,000. I think that takes a long time though. I don't know if one life in this case makes sense or not.

Originally posted by: superNESman

3) Using up all lives until you die. I think you can get extra lives somehow (I remember reading that when I was skimming through the manual), so for that reason alone I personally think this should be out.

Well, you get extra lives based on points at set intervals, so two players who get the same number of points will have the same number of lives. No luck involved.

Edited: 02/15/2010 at 09:53 AM by OSG

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:02:44 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Play till game over. This game is hard enough already. And yes, if someone can loop the score today, then good for them, they get first place.

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:27:21 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: Herbalist

I think it may be best to invite the people who are most active in the contest, but I see no need to limit it to 5 people. Another set of eyes is always good to have. Also, there may be weeks when 2 or 3 of the people may not have time to help or just decline for the week. I think you, mog, tall guy, guillavoie, dr robbie, arch & myself would be a pretty good start.
IDK. Just a though.

Amen

That's a fantastic idea.  A public thread would probably be the best venue though, just for the sake of noone getting an edge.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:35:46 PM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
Capturing score on this one is tough. You have about 5 seconds to snap the pic on the gameover screen, and once it's gone, it doesn't show up again.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:39:54 PM
nesruler22 (94)
Illinois
so is ths game a good choice or not.
Jeremy

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:49:33 PM
carnold1103 (0)
(charles arnold) < Tourian Tourist >
Ohio
i would like to join in this one update score on the first post you get right?

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:21:13 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
On this game, I say we play until we get a game over.  Otherwise, if we play this until we die for the first time, some of us might be reseting our NES like 15 seconds after we start playing.

Originally posted by: superNESman

Capturing score on this one is tough. You have about 5 seconds to snap the pic on the gameover screen, and once it's gone, it doesn't show up again.

I agree, getting the score on this one will be difficult.  If you press the A button on controller 2, you can pause the game, but you have less than a second to pause the game between when you die and the Game Over screen appears.  For those playing on a TV, best way I can think right now to capture a score is to pause the game when the timer is close to zero, get your name on the TV, and have your camera close by to take the picture.  As soon as you die and the Game Over screen appears, take the picture quick.  I guess this is the best I can come up with for now...anybody else have any ideas?

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:01:28 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
How to get participation points this week: Capture a pic of your high score!

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:26:32 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: MrMiniMog

How to get participation points this week: Capture a pic of your high score!

Hahaha, deal!