Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Why does NA not have SSL?

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:00:20 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I know Dain has had struggles funding the site. He's put ads in, been affiliated with eBay/Amazon, added patreon, etc.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:01:11 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Sorn

In life I've found working passion is much more effective than being monotone. I got y'all fired up, and that's exactly what I wanted.

Yeah, but the opinion of how you did it left something to be desired. Ask Pegboy how that's worked out for him.  

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:02:06 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: arnpoly

One potential risk of an unencrypted connection is that your site password is unprotected whenever you login.

I have also configured SSL certificates and TLS v1.2, but what I don't know is how expensive it is to purchase certificates. That cost could be a limiting factor.

Prices vary depending on type, use, and a few other factors.

They can be $6, they can be $200 (per year).

-------------------------

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:06:20 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
wait. our PMs aren't private?

::furiously deletes dank mod memes::

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:08:15 PM
ap123 (65)
(Andrew P) < Meka Chicken >
New York
This question was asked civilly back in 2014 and didn't receive any replies. The OP's more abrupt approach has at least prompted discussion.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Disclaimer: There may be other threads which discuss it further, but this was the only one that showed up when I searched the Site Suggestions board for "SSL"

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:19:46 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
If there is one thing I've learned in my life, it's that if you want someone else to do something for you, the best way to get it is to be as confrontational as possible.

Oh wait. I just remembered it's the exact opposite of that.

Oh well, you never know. Maybe this time it will work.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:47:51 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: ap123

This question was asked civilly back in 2014 and didn't receive any replies. The OP's more abrupt approach has at least prompted discussion.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadi...

Disclaimer: There may be other threads which discuss it further, but this was the only one that showed up when I searched the Site Suggestions board for "SSL"

As counter intuitive as this seems, I've often found riling some feathers tends to get shit done while being a milk maid gets you no where. "Nice guys finish last" as they say....

Regardless, I throw both salt and sugar in my approach. I find it to work better than just one or the other.

Happy to petition letsencrypt for a a free TLS cert. In the end, getting https for the site is a goal every rational person can agree on. Let's do this?

THPS sucks

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:06:01 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
At the end of the day you'd need Dains buy-in regardless. I don't think there's a "let's do this" option tbh. It's his site. Totally up to him.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:09:53 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Gloves

At the end of the day you'd need Dains buy-in regardless. I don't think there's a "let's do this" option tbh. It's his site. Totally up to him.

True, but if it only helps and is free or super cheap, I'm sure he'd be down. Which makes me curious as to why it hasn't been done yet. I'm guessing there's a reason though. There's been plenty of times I've seen where lots of people thought something was one way, but Dain pointed out that it was not that way. We'll just have to hope the big man sees this and responds as he sees fit.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:24:16 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
This is one of those issues to which no one but Dain can intelligently and appropriately respond. Sorn, send him a pm if you want to potentially get anywhere with this.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:26:56 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: B.A.

This is one of those issues to which no one but Dain can intelligently and appropriately respond. Sorn, send him a pm if you want to potentially get anywhere with this.
But leave the vinegar out.  

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:29:50 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Tulpa

and be sure to include your social security number, bank account info, mother's maiden name and the combination to your gym locker. He will need all that.

Edited: 11/20/2017 at 08:30 PM by B.A.

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:36:13 PM
ap123 (65)
New York

Originally posted by: Tulpa

and be sure to include your social security number, bank account info, mother's maiden name and the combination to your gym locker. He will need all that.

Touché

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:50:44 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&thr...

As counter intuitive as this seems, I've often found riling some feathers tends to get shit done while being a milk maid gets you no where. "Nice guys finish last" as they say.... Regardless, I throw both salt and sugar in my approach. I find it to work better than just one or the other. Happy to petition letsencrypt for a a free TLS cert. In the end, getting https for the site is a goal every rational person can agree on. Let's do this?

There's some adage about flies and honey and being a dick and being mocked by the internet and then having a game made about you, but I don't recall what it is right now.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:16:40 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California

Before starting this thread I tried to search for the owners username so that I could contact him in private. After failing to figure it out, I made the thread.

If someone would pass me his username, I would be happy to do so.

THPS sucks

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:17:34 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Before starting this thread I tried to search for the owners username so that I could contact him in private. After failing to figure it out, I made the thread.

Dain

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:21:28 PM
ap123 (65)
New York
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Dain

Search users by group "Evil Overlord"  

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:22:35 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

In the future just so everyone knows,  it is OK to Pm a mod/admin with something like the following:

"Hey Im concerened the site doesn't have a current piece of normal internet security protocol, who can I contact about that?"

We are always willing to help.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:30:03 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Dain

Search users by group "Evil Overlord"  

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Users.Directory&...

I hear if you say his name 3 times he makes a Beetle Juice type of appearance.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:15:39 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: Dain

I've been meaning to get around to this for a long time now. I'm going to try and make it happen during the holidays.

Thanks for the kick in the rear,
-Dain

Just a update for you guys....

THPS sucks

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:20:21 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
There ya go. All it took was a message to the owner. Our petty posts, all meaningless.  

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:33:25 AM
Hogieman (20)
(Chris Hoge) < Eggplant Wizard >
Colorado
If cost is a concern Dain can look into Let's Encrypt. ( https://letsencrypt.org/... ) I use it for some of my sites, plus it can be automated to renew every 90 days.

I actually found this thread because I was also curious about the lack of SSL.

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 12:35 AM by Hogieman

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:38:32 AM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada
to be fair he did offer to donate funds and skills to getting nintendoage encrypted, his points were valid and he wasn't unreasonable at all, you guys need to stop with the lynch mob here.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:33:55 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Koopa64

to be fair he did offer to donate funds and skills to getting nintendoage encrypted, his points were valid and he wasn't unreasonable at all, you guys need to stop with the lynch mob here.

Thanks for pointing out the lynch mob, so angry that no one has posted abou it in 4 months.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:40:15 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: doner24
Originally posted by: Koopa64

Thanks for pointing out the lynch mob, so angry that no one has posted abou it in 4 months.

Hey, our torches and pitchforks were ordered on Amazon, then the seller ended up shipping from China.  They're still on the boat, so...   

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!