Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: RBI Baseball Contest ends Sunday, 3/30/14 at 11 PM NA time

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:05:14 PM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: gutsman004

+24

Nice, looks like someone has a great grasp at the strategy of setting records on this game. I've come pretty close to the old TG record before.

-------------------------

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:18:20 PM
etrainstyles (38)
(Erik Thomas) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Updated w more respectable score

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:03:04 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

+19

Donny Baseball I still love you! 

Edited: 03/30/2014 at 08:53 PM by BriGuy82

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:46:00 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

4 14 - 10

When are we going to play a soccer game Bimmy ?
LONG OVERDUE
Americans show your love for soccer.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:11:12 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: doner24

+24

Nice, looks like someone has a great grasp at the strategy of setting records on this game. I've come pretty close to the old TG record before.

I remember getting this in junior high. I played it relentlessly. I should be able to improve on my score. Hopefully you'll put up a score doner! I'd love to see you tear it up on this game!

Originally posted by: Dennis Fleaman

When are we going to play a soccer game Bimmy ?
LONG OVERDUE
Americans show your love for soccer.

I'd love to play World Cup Soccer. Kunio-kun (River City Ransom) characters make any game more fun.

Edited: 03/25/2014 at 01:58 PM by gutsman004

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:25:49 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
As sports games go, I guess I like this one better than Tecmo Super Bowl, so far...

Edit to add:  I can't believe that having the first baseman automatically tag-back for an out isn't a thing...

Edited: 03/25/2014 at 03:44 PM by arch_8ngel

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:04:13 PM
etrainstyles (38)
(Erik Thomas) < Crack Trooper >
United States
I'm a huge sports game fan, unfortunately a lot of the remaining "sports" games are things like skateboarding, hackisack kicking, etc. I'd like to see more baseball, basketball, football, and golf!

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:53:59 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Up to +12 now, getting better and remembering how to play this game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:00:17 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Edit to add:  I can't believe that having the first baseman automatically tag-back for an out isn't a thing...
Yeah, that's a bit stupid, it doesn't give an instant out if there is another man running bases.

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:26:53 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
score updated. Had a good 2 out rally until Mike Schmidt popped up to the SS. Alan Trammel also hit a solo shot off me which affected some of the score. Overall, I'm happy with it for now. Might have to try later on this week when I have more time.

I just noticed using the Detroit Tigers as the other team they tend to give up alot more errors. I did a practice round to see and they gave up 2 errors (in the same inning too). All were high pop ups from the meat of the batting order (Andre Dawson and Eric Davis).

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:46:19 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Yeah, that's a bit stupid, it doesn't give an instant out if there is another man running bases.

The dumb AI adds character to the game in my opinion. There are several things you can trick the computer into doing.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:58:40 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

The dumb AI adds character to the game in my opinion. There are several things you can trick the computer into doing.
I think I misread what Arch was saying actually. What I was referring to is the fact that if you throw the ball to the first base before the hitter get here, and there's another runner on field, he doesn't get an instant out, you need to wait for him to get to the first base to out him. I simply thought this was stupid cause it is the non application of a Baseball rule, I wasn't talking about the AI.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:10:33 PM
cgfeelit (163)
(Clint Gibbs) < Meka Chicken >
Indiana

Guessing Participation point for me, I suck at it. Only positive score in about 5-6 games 

Edited: 03/25/2014 at 11:11 PM by cgfeelit

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:46:27 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I think I misread what Arch was saying actually. What I was referring to is the fact that if you throw the ball to the first base before the hitter get here, and there's another runner on field, he doesn't get an instant out, you need to wait for him to get to the first base to out him. I simply thought this was stupid cause it is the non application of a Baseball rule, I wasn't talking about the AI.

I have missed so many outs because my first baseman scooped up a grounder and didn't touch back (granted I was still learning the controls... But seriously when would you ever not step 6 inches to your left for an out before throwing?)

also, I guess I am missing something fundamental in how to control runners because I have never successfully avoided a double or triple play... The doofus on third runs to home on ever pop fly... What a dunce!

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:36:26 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
ARGH! The freaking first-baseman should NOT be allowed to throw the ball "to first" if he is already there!!! My number 1 source of errors is that dimwit pitching the ball into the stands!

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:37:25 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Everytime I get up by 9, the other team starts taking roids and hits everything I toss at them, even with new pitchers. Their pitchers can magically throw 100 mph fast balls for 4 innings as well. They eventually catch up and take the lead and then I shut the game off. I don't remember this game being so hard as a kid. I remember winning by run rule every time!

3 most frustrating things on defense:
1. The ball doesn't always go to where I throw it when the other team is on a huge rally.
2. When the first baseman fields the ball and doesn't have time to run to first, I try to throw to the second baseman coming over to cover. If he is not quite there yet, my first baseman just throws it in the stands! Why can't he just throw it to the second baseman?
3. Routine double plays are WAY TOO CLOSE! I should not be barely beating the runner at first on a 4-6-3 double play. Sometimes, I don't even get the runner at first.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:38:06 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska

ARGH! The freaking first-baseman should NOT be allowed to throw the ball "to first" if he is already there!!! My number 1 source of errors is that dimwit pitching the ball into the stands!

HAHA! You beat me to it. I just wrote the same thing and posted right after you!

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:40:19 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

3. Routine double plays are WAY TOO CLOSE! I should not be barely beating the runner at first on a 4-6-3 double play. Sometimes, I don't even get the runner at first.

To me the most frustrating thing on offense is the fact that I can never seem to avoid being hit by double/triple plays.
They get them EVERY time.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:50:12 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska

To me the most frustrating thing on offense is the fact that I can never seem to avoid being hit by double/triple plays.

Can't say I have ran into a triple play yet. I usually try to keep first base clear. If I do have a guy on 1st, I try to send him early to avoid the double play. However, their are great risks: 
-Once he reaches second, you can't go back to first. (sucks on pop flys caught in the outfiled)
-If you swing and miss, he is probably going to be thrown out. (works better on slow ball pitchers)
-No time to get back if you hit a line drive back to the pitcher.

One thing I have learned, if you have runners on the corners, you can nearly always steal second uncontested. The computer won't risk you coming home.This may help you avoid some double plays.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:53:00 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Can't say I have ran into a triple play yet. I usually try to keep first base clear. If I do have a guy on 1st, I try to send him early to avoid the double play. However, their are great risks: 
-Once he reaches second, you can't go back to first. (sucks on pop flys caught in the outfiled)
-If you swing and miss, he is probably going to be thrown out. (works better on slow ball pitchers)

One thing I have learned, if you have runners on the corners, you can nearly always steal second uncontested. The computer won't risk you coming home.This may help you avoid some double plays.

I guess my problem is my runners seem to auto-advance to the next base as soon as the ball is hit, no matter HOW it is hit.

So they easily make it to the next base before the pop fly is caught, for instance, then they get nailed.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:57:17 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska

I guess my problem is my runners seem to auto-advance to the next base as soon as the ball is hit, no matter HOW it is hit.

So they easily make it to the next base before the pop fly is caught, for instance, then they get nailed.

I'm not by the game now, but if you can catch them before the get to the base, press A and the base direction on the D-Pad and he will run back to the base. If the ball is dropped, press B and the direction to the base you want to run to.

B + DPAD = Advance Base
A + DPAD = Return to previous base

If you knew this already, sorry for restating it.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:59:51 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Nope, didn't know I could stop them before they started running (or early in their run).

I've never played the game before yesterday.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:56:07 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
A pitching technique that's quite easy (for RHP) is to move the pitcher all the way to the right (their left) on the rubber and right before he throws the ball, use the right dpad control and throw it basically across the batters body. If its a right handed batter, he'll be forced to step into the inside of the plate and either swing and miss or hit a weak groundball off the end of the bat. Same applies to left handed batters. If they don't swing, then either back them off the plate with an inside fast ball or try to get them swinging at it again. Rinse and repeat. Also, try to score at least 5 or more runs in the first inning, which I noticed the batters seemed defeated and not swinging as strong. If you use the American All-Star team and select Bret Saberhagen as your starter, this is almost flawless each time, due to his side arm windup.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:05:40 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
^ This. For base running.....in the cases where you pop it up,just run your guys back to their original bases. Also the computer is very home base protective. So let's say you have a runner on second and your batter gets a single. You go to first and the runner to third. The computer will throw to second. If you advance the runner on third base towards home (bring him back to third of course),the computer will throw it home. At this point you can advance the runner from first to second uncontested. If you are having trouble with the pitchers getting hits then try bunting. If you do it the right way,you can bunt it just pass the pitcher and infielders and get an inside the park homerun.

Mar 26, 2014 at 1:59:47 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

I have missed so many outs because my first baseman scooped up a grounder and didn't touch back (granted I was still learning the controls... But seriously when would you ever not step 6 inches to your left for an out before throwing?)

also, I guess I am missing something fundamental in how to control runners because I have never successfully avoided a double or triple play... The doofus on third runs to home on ever pop fly... What a dunce!

B button is your friend when first baseman catch the ball off the base.

Also, I replayed yesterday and finally, the hitter get inastant out if you throw at first base no matter what, I don't know why I had the impression it wasn't the case before?

Edited: 03/26/2014 at 02:42 PM by guillavoie