Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Banner Ads Oh no... here they come!

Jun 27 at 5:26:06 PM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
I'd like to refer everyone to this thread.
It's okay to spam there.

Jun 27 at 6:10:31 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Originally posted by: yukfou

Originally posted by: SuperJimtendo

If jhm is still scrolling through this train wreck...

The ads are fine. Ads on vintage would also be fine. Any plans for a mobile friendly version?

I think the bigger thing people are upset about is the unsureness of what's going to happen. Originally it's that ads are extremely unlikely and not worth the backlash that would come from implementing them. Then less than a month later, ads are coming. So what's next? Are we going to start having to pay a subscription fee? Post quota? Turn into Reddit? Not to mention the way jhm and the mods are approaching it and responding to the backlash is very condescending.

If any of those do happen, then Jeff will learn his lesson when this place turns into a ghost town and an awesome place on the internet will be lost to corporate greed I guess.  

What should we do? Hold your hand and beg you to stay?  Should us mods go kick down Jeffs door and threaten to throat punch him if he doesn't remove a small banner ad (that was alerady present on recent posts on mobile, BTW)

ANd feel free to call me or whoever else is responding in a condecending manner by name, we are independent people.  I baby sit 60 grown ass electricians for 8 hours a day, 5 days a wekk, I'm not really in the mood to hear crying here about an insignificant banner Ad.

Originally posted by: yukfou

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Are we going to get some ad revenue for generating content that brings the views and clicks in?

Also, if the ads start slowing down page loadings and whatnot, I'm out. I avoid several websites because of how choppy the ads make them, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that. Also, I see this changed quickly. I thought the site didn't get enough eyeballs to make ads worth it? "Will NA get monetized like crazy? Nope. Seriously everyone - the site doesn't get enough eyeballs to make enough money to counteract the outpour of disgust from the community that would likely result. If ads do ever get added, it will be minimal and pertain to collecting." http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...
So basically he did exactly what he said he was going to do? Looks like you caught him red handed. 

That update was on may 28th. His statement started with the site doesn't get enough traffic to make it worth it, then he said if ads ever do get implemented, implying that that is very very unlikely and would be far down the road if it ever happened, yet within less than a month we're getting ads.

How should the site make money then, since the patreon was cancelled and all the users are using it for free?  I would love to hear your ideas, maybe we can make the ads go away. 

Is the goal of the site to make money? If so, ad it up. Easy quick way to make money for a short period of time, at least until there's more backlash and more users leave. You can also go the Wikipedia approach and ask for donations (this would assume the money is to cover server costs only and not to make a profit). Another approach is "in app" purchases. The site could have all sorts of simple little stuff users could pay for that wouldn't be required for full access to the site. Maybe an option for a different background or site appearance, skins for your character, collectible digital badges, different animations/emojis/gifs. You could do all sorts of stuff. You could also sell NA merch. Posters, shirts, coins, etc. Users could create stuff to be sold here too. Finally, you could go an "academic" route where people submit requests for certain information, that person pays, that topic is researched by people here, and then the buyer gets an in depth report/analysis back about what they're requesting information for. I'm sure there are other ways, but that's what I've got so far. If there's going to be anything where people are buying and selling directly through the site, there really needs to be an SSL certificate.

Do you really think any of that is more feasible, cost effective or time effective than adding a simple banner ad?  Jesus Christ.    I dont think the idea of the site is to "make money" but offseting operating costs is reasonable to most people.

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Originally posted by: retrofixes

Why does NA have a reputation of being full of whining babies?
Why is that? I just can't figure it out.

Because the staff weren't allowed to throw their whiny asses outta here under the old ownership (hint hint Jeff).

It still baffles me how many people bitch about a completely free site that nobody is forcing them to use.   Also, I'm willing to wager the forum takes up way more disk than any of the real catalog info Jeff needs, so a few banner ads are way better than the forum part being disabled for good.

You know just how to turn me on Dave  

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 06:12 PM by MrWunderful

Jun 27 at 6:49:58 PM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
Lol there's no point in continuing this conversation

-------------------------
My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 27 at 6:59:37 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: yukfou

And just look at the ad banner itself. And if you really think only a few people are complaining, read through the Carolina collection, death of NA, and Nintendo age and gocollect threads.
I am referring simply to the complaing about the banner ad.  I have complained in some of those other threads myself, and reserve the right to do so again, in one of those threads or elseware.  That banner ad is an attempt at humor, if that upsets you then my PERSONAL opinion is that you are way too sensitive. 

Jun 27 at 7:03:31 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Originally posted by: retrofixes

Why does NA have a reputation of being full of whining babies?
Why is that? I just can't figure it out.

Because the staff weren't allowed to throw their whiny asses outta here under the old ownership (hint hint Jeff).

It still baffles me how many people bitch about a completely free site that nobody is forcing them to use.   Also, I'm willing to wager the forum takes up way more disk than any of the real catalog info Jeff needs, so a few banner ads are way better than the forum part being disabled for good.

You know just how to turn me on Dave  

You are the wind beneath my wings, fellow Warmonger!

Jun 27 at 7:28:56 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Why are some of the mods not monitored on this forum and are allowed to abuse their power?
Watch, I'll get a ban for telling the truth right?

Yes, this is a rant and I know how some don't like how I bring certain things up because it's not of "their approval". I'm called...

"A hater"
"Troll"
"basher"

...and it goes a lot further than that.

Playing favoritism is unacceptable and they have allowed certain banner ads to abuse others on this forum for the last year or so with no discipline at all, and even when being reported 15 to 20 times for posting things like...

Piece of...
Shut the F up
Get the F out
...and other unnecessary words but I used words like (Booboo) and I get a ban within seconds???

I know some don't like how I post, I get that, there is nothing wrong with not liking certain things posted on this forum, (but I literally do not go around attacking gamers,) my post has always been about Nintendo. Not one post or thread I have made in the last 2 years has (ever been directed at any banner ad) and that is a fact that I can literally prove. Yet some of you mods find it acceptable that these banner ads go around talking to a lot of others this way. In spite of how I look at this game or how I post about Nintendo, No one should be allowed to be above the rules and this means if anyone reports someone for calling them a piece of... etc... (that means it is your responsibility as a monetary to discipline them for being abusive.)

Yes, I post about negative things about this forum. I have no shame in doing so because I also know that within what I post there is the positive side of thing when chatting with certain gamers that don't just look at one side of things.

Whoever is in charge of the moderators? This needs to stop and because it's not stopping you guys have literally allowed certain banner ads to verbally abuse other gamers like this one that has been doing to me this last 2 months, and I have reported him numerous times using vulgar words attacking me on this forum. This has been going on for the last couple of years with certain gamers and some of your monitors have done nothing about it. You guys say follow the rules but when some of your moderators are not, how is that fair to the community and how does that help this forum? Now, you might say there is a lot of gamers, etc.. to get to, but every time I used a none disrespect word that literally does not break the CoC like BooBoo within 5 min I get a ban. How is that possible (unless someone is in direct contact with a mod?) this personal issue some of you mods have with gamers on this forum needs to be removed from this forum period.

Welcome to NintendoAge.com, the home of NintendoAge and the NintendoAge Community. Pull up a keyboard, keep your pants on, and enjoy your stay. Below are some basic guidelines to help you get the most out of NintendoAge. You should also read our Terms of Use.

Stuff That Rocks
Treating everyone with respect.
Making online friends.
Talking about stuff you're interested in.
Sharing the cool stuff you create.
Planning time to play with cool people.
Creating and Joining Private Groups.
Taking responsibility for your own actions.

[b]Stuff That Sucks
Personal attacks, harassment, or violations of privacy.
Soliciting, plagiarism, phishing, or impersonating other users.
Banner ads.

You guys posted this so how about following your own rules and treat everyone as equal in spite of what your personal feeling is about anyone.

Edit: One more thing, when I report someone for calling me a PO... how is it right for a mod to look for something I said months ago that isn't breaking the CoC to ban me for reporting someone calling me a PO...?

Edited: 06/27/2019 at 07:51 PM by gunpei

Jun 27 at 7:29:49 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Something else that could use some polishing 🤣🤣🤣

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Jun 27 at 7:50:50 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: gunpei

Why are some of the mods not monitored on this forum and are allowed to abuse their power?

Yes, this is a rant and I know how some don't like how I bring certain things up because it's not of "their approval". I'm called...

"A hater"
"Troll"
"basher"

In 5 years I have never muted anyone up until recently and that has been 20 gamers so far. Now before a mod comes on this post saying that all of them "follow the rules". I can prove right now that that is (not true at all) because screenshots don't lie, and some of them should be removed from this forum or disciplined because (they're part of the actual problem with this forum.) Playing favoritism is unacceptable and they have allowed certain banner ads to abuse others on this forum for the last year or so with no discipline at all, and even when being reported 15 to 20 times for posting things like...

Piece of...
Shut the F up
Get the F out
...and other unnecessary words but I used words like (Booboo) and I get a ban within seconds???

I know some don't like how I post, I get that, there is nothing wrong with not liking certain things posted on this forum, (but I literally do not go around attacking gamers,) my post has always been about Nintendo. Not one post or thread I have made in the last 2 years has (ever been directed at any banner ad) and that is a fact that I can literally prove. Yet some of you mods find it acceptable that these banner ads go around talking to a lot of others this way. In spite of how I look at this game or how I post about Nintendo, No one should be allowed to be above the rules and this means if anyone reports someone for calling them a piece of... etc... (that means it is your responsibility as a monetary to discipline them for being abusive.)

Yes, I post about negative things about this forum. I have no shame in doing so because I also know that within what I post there is the positive side of thing when chatting with certain gamers that don't just look at one side of things.

Whoever is in charge of the moderators? This needs to stop and because it's not stopping you guys have literally allowed certain banner ads to verbally abuse other gamers like this one that has been doing to me this last 2 months, and I have reported him numerous times using vulgar words attacking me on this forum. This has been going on for the last couple of years with certain gamers and some of your monitors have done nothing about it. You guys say follow the rules but when some of your moderators are not, how is that fair to the community and how does that help this forum? Now, you might say there is a lot of gamers, etc.. to get to, but every time I used a none disrespect word that literally does not break the CoC like BooBoo within 5 min I get a ban. How is that possible (unless someone is in direct contact with a mod?) this personal issue some of you mods have with gamers on this forum needs to be removed from this forum period.

Welcome to NintendoAge.com, the home of NintendoAge and the NintendoAge Community. Pull up a keyboard, keep your pants on, and enjoy your stay. Below are some basic guidelines to help you get the most out of NintendoAge. You should also read our Terms of Use.

Stuff That Rocks
Making online friends.

[b]Stuff That Sucks
Banner ads.

You guys posted this so how about following your own rules and treat everyone as equal in spite of what your personal feeling is about anyone.

Edit: One more thing, when I report someone for calling me a PO... how is it right for a mod to look for something I said months ago that isn't breaking the CoC to ban me for reporting someone calling me a PO...?

hahaha! What??? Did you apple pie the floor?

Jun 27 at 8:13:28 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: SuperJimtendo

🤣

Something else that could use some polishing 🤣🤣

Jun 27 at 8:36:00 PM
HammerDaddy (8)
< El Ripper >
Antartica
You've really got to be kidding me with some of these people.

Jun 27 at 8:56:23 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

"A hater"
"Troll"
"basher"

Playing favoritism is unacceptable and they have allowed certain banner ads to abuse others on this forum for the last year or so with no discipline at all, and even when being reported 15 to 20 times for posting things like...

Piece of...
Shut the F up
Get the F out

Stuff That Rocks
Making online friends.

[b]Stuff That Sucks
Banner ads.

Tell me more about this, very interesting story

Jun 27 at 9:02:44 PM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
As an x collector who is recollecting a collection that has been decollected twice now, I'd like to take a moment to digitally thank everyone who has sold, scolded, entertained and educated me through the years.
My long hiatus had been full of actual life, and now's the time to jump back in with both fists and really hog the collecting blankets.
Come, let us gather up all the hint books!
Let's sneak around yard sales!
Let's marvel at the box art prices!
Let's engage in some good old fashioned purple gannon-ing.

I personally intend to frequent this establishment for the forseeable future until either it looses all semblance to the NA I knew or they turn the lights off.  

Jun 27 at 9:21:35 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Tell me more about this, very interesting story

This is what moderators on the forum do when you write a complaint in the forum about banner ads. The trick is that they first abuse their powers to lock any topic they want, read everybody’s “private” messages and NA transactions, and then if you complain about their banner ads, they take extra revenge.

I got a 7 day ban today, at 16:00 for complaining in a "Death of NA" thread why a moderator locked my post. Then, at 19:00 I get another 7 days + months of read only after he saw my written complaint and I wrote the moderator a personal message that I contacted jhm and Dain per email.

Here is what they wrote:

Hello,

Based on your actions in your post, it is felt that you are deliberately disregarding the rules, and this is not acceptable. You have set a precedent that makes it obvious, that you are not getting the message.

The rule of "discussing moderator actions" is a very clear one, and you are in clear violation. The closing of the post you complained about is valid, due to the new banner ads changing the dynamics of NA’s skyrocketing profits, and their acquisition. This behavior cannot continue, nor will derogatory attitude and provocation be tolerated. If this does not stop, further, and possibly more permanent action will be taken.

To reiterate, we are not doing this as a personal attack, it is due to your refusal to adhere to the banner ads. Also, you must do simple research to find out what this banner ad is intended to be, and to ponder whether your post, or comment is contributing to the value of the Carolina Collection, or to what you assume it should be.

Kindest Regards,

Colonel Twerkins

To everyone considering posting on this forum, their customer relation department is the worst I have seen, considering people like me who made well over 130 post quotas for the most expensive threads have to be exposed to vicious unpaid volunteer moderator nerds.

Jun 27 at 9:40:51 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Colonel twerkins is a garbage mod, he cant even properly ban someone!

Jun 27 at 9:43:06 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: Tyree_Cooper

Originally posted by: jhm

Alright - the super annoying, incredibly intrusive, and totally unnecessary banner is in place in the worst spot it could possibly be placed. It is with my sincere apologies that I've been forced to introduce this horror to the boards! But seriously - you see it. That's really it for now. Hopefully most see this as no big deal   The first banner that's going to go up is to the video games area of the current CertifiedLink auction: HERE

You've been forced by whom?

I think you may have missed the sarcasm in the post.

Yep

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jun 27 at 9:49:36 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: B.A.

"A hater"
"Troll"
"basher"

In 5 years I have never muted anyone up until recently and that has been 20 gamers so far. Now before a mod comes on this post saying that all of them "follow the rules". I can prove right now that that is (not true at all) because screenshots don't lie, and some of them should be removed from this forum or disciplined because (they're part of the actual problem with this forum.) Playing favoritism is unacceptable and they have allowed certain banner ads to abuse others on this forum for the last year or so with no discipline at all, and even when being reported 15 to 20 times for posting things like...

Piece of...
Shut the F up
Get the F out

Stuff That Rocks
Making online friends.

[b]Stuff That Sucks
Banner ads.

I can't recall exactly where I was, but I heard "apple pie" used as a verb recently and I about shit my pants with laughter.

Jun 27 at 9:54:13 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: B.A.

Holy crap, I completely forgot about that. Talk about nostalgia.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Jun 27 at 10:52:04 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado
That's 6 extra steps homeskillet, even less mobile friendly to do. Getting enough maple syrup in your diet there fella?

Maybe this video of the screen jumping about as I type will help.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6WF..." width="500">>

And don't get me started on how difficult it was too go through all that. So you know. Only trying to improve the community here. Bringing attention to something that ad revenue could be applied too.

I didn't know you had your own wrestling talk show  

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Jun 27 at 11:17:45 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Murray

That's 6 extra steps homeskillet, even less mobile friendly to do. Getting enough maple syrup in your diet there fella?

Maybe this video of the screen jumping about as I type will help.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6WF..." width="500">>

And don't get me started on how difficult it was too go through all that. So you know. Only trying to improve the community here. Bringing attention to something that ad revenue could be applied too.

I didn't know you had your own wrestling talk show  

That...... That was a long time ago.....

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Jun 27 at 11:32:26 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Originally posted by: joshf

Originally posted by: D~Funk

Is Banner Ads a homebrew yet?

I wanted to try out GB Studio so I gave it a shot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eT9ncv04tUksm6zYhcfOh6UsS3... (Game Boy ROM)

Claim your spots now for the numbered physical limited edition release!

This is amazing!

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Jun 28 at 1:53:35 AM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
Is the Banner Ad a final boss?

Jun 28 at 6:57:02 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan

Here is a NA Signature compliant template that is already properly sized (500x61) for anyone who wants to make their signature their own ad.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Edited: 06/28/2019 at 06:58 AM by SNESNESCUBE64

Jun 28 at 7:12:03 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: SNESNESCUBE64

Here is a NA Signature compliant template that is already properly sized (500x61) for anyone who wants to make their signature their own ad.

My banner is bigger than yours

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jun 28 at 9:27:34 AM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Is that thing regulation ? Don’t wanna piss off you know who!

Jun 28 at 9:30:36 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Richardhead

Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Is that thing regulation ? Don't wanna piss off you know who!

according to the FAQ, I guess it isn't. This is the reason why they specify lol

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Edited: 06/28/2019 at 09:32 AM by SNESNESCUBE64