Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Power Blade All too easy

May 12, 2013 at 11:40:15 AM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
A while ago, I started up Power Blade for the first time, and managed to get through four stages without much effort. I quit for the night and didn't touch the game again until last week. I started anew and blazed my way through the "normal" difficultly. I knew I would be re-playing through on "expert" difficulty, so I drew maps of the stages as I played.

Each stage has several branching paths, a contact person you must reach, some dead ends, and several powerups. It is no problem to fully explore on the normal setting, as you have plenty of time. However, the expert setting limits you to 300 units (seconds?), which is just enough to grab a powerup or two, the ID card from the contact, and run to the boss room. When I played on the expert setting, using my maps, I was able to reach each boss room with 70-100 time units to spare.

Even on "expert", this game is very easy. I almost made it through the whole game without a single death. Unfortunately, a surprise attack on stage 2 in mid-jump sent me to my doom. This would have been on-fatal on the normal setting, but expert adds a knock-back effect when getting hit. I was able to complete the entire game in under an hour.

The music in this game is fantastic. The graphics are okay. There is a very small variety of enemies, and animations are comprised of very few frames. The boss battles are rather weak and completely lacking challenge or excitement. Even the final boss pattern is immediately obvious.

I'd definitely recommend this game for a play-through or two. I wouldn't go out of my way to acquire the game if you haven't already. Certainly do not pay much for it if you do. This is one of those games which is literally one day's worth of entertainment.

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Edited: 05/12/2013 at 11:41 AM by Zing

May 12, 2013 at 12:00:06 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
I agree. Power Blade is an easy game on normal mode. I beat it on normal and died maybe once. It definately wasn't on the hard side. It is fun though and I also recommend it to people. It isn't an expensive game and is a good quick game to play if you don't have too much time. I didn't try it on expert. I may one day though.

May 12, 2013 at 12:39:22 PM
Clyde The Jackal (172)
(My Name is Chris) < Kraid Killer >
New York
Yep. Super fun game. Super easy, but fun game.

Butts Make Farts.

May 12, 2013 at 1:22:57 PM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I like Power Blade, but it's definitely too easy. I've never played the second one, so I'm not sure about it.

May 12, 2013 at 2:38:09 PM
Blue Gollumer (89)
(Warren Lee) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
^ I feel like the second one is a huge let down when compared to the first

May 12, 2013 at 8:58:30 PM
DreamStar (17)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Bryan Sensei) < King Solomon >
United States
Oh yeah!If you think the original is easy ,by all means try the sequel!The second game is harder in my opinion .

Do unto other's as you have them do unto you: Matthew 7:12

May 12, 2013 at 9:43:14 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
I beat the entire game in under 28 minutes, recorded the proof for twin galaxies too, that was back in 2008 or so. I lost the tape though and have not been able to find it since. Still a great game though.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

May 12, 2013 at 10:46:33 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Zing - you are The Power Blade Master...

You should use this pic as your own here on NA!

Space Jockey... you are the Keeper of the Dragon Warriors...

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 05/12/2013 at 10:47 PM by Commander Santa

May 13, 2013 at 12:38:15 AM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Zing - you are The Power Blade Master...

You should use this pic as your own here on NA!

Space Jockey... you are the Keeper of the Dragon Warriors...

I am a man of many talents   Also if I rememeber correctly, the boss on World 2 is a dragon.  Might need one of my Warriors to help out with it.  As well as the boss on Mega Man 2 Wily Castle 1 I believe, giant dragon.  Fun fact: That dragon on MM2 is also beaten with boomerangs...connection maybe?

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Edited: 05/13/2013 at 12:39 AM by Space Jockey

May 13, 2013 at 1:18:22 AM
##### (15)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Australian Capital Territory
Play Shatter Hand if you liked Power Blade. Basically the same thing and Shatter Hand is a bit more challenging.

May 13, 2013 at 1:56:55 AM
WolfAlmighty (3)
(Wolfgang Abenteuer) < Lolo Lord >
Washington
Shatterhand's a tough one, much more difficult than Power Blade. Both are great, though. I've played through Power Blade several times. I've only played through PB2 once and it was certainly more difficult than the first, but not as fun. The game was more about obstacle avoidance than killing things with your kickass suits and boomerangs.

May 13, 2013 at 7:59:07 AM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
It's easy, therefore it $ucks. Naw I don't agree with that.

It looks great, sounds great, controls great, has some nifty power ups, and is all around a fun experience. The non-linear approach to the levels is refreshing, it gives it a good sense of exploration as going off the beaten path usually yields short cuts or power ups. Of course if you are doing back to back runs and using a map, I could see that taking a lot taking a lot of the fun and challenge out of it.  Though if you didn't like it the first time, I don't know why you would play it again.

It isn't without its flaws, but I don't think they outweigh the enjoyment you get out of the game. If someone already has the Mega Mans, Castlevanias, and Ninja Gaidens, then Power Blade is well worth checking out. It is cheap and common enough that I don't see a reason to pass it up.

Power Blade 2 is a step down in almost every area. Worse graphics, worse sound, less levels, and the levels are much more straight forward. The only upside is the ability to use different suits. The game is harder but mostly due to more one hit death obstacles and enemy cheap shots. Not awful, but if you are fan of the first you will be letdown.

Shatterhand is excellent. Similar gameplay but different gimmick. Another one to check out if you need a lesser known action title.

Edited: 05/13/2013 at 08:02 AM by fox

May 13, 2013 at 8:04:35 AM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I thought I had made a thread detailing my Shatterhand experience. I searched and it was actually over on the Racketboy forum. I guess that was during my hiatus from here.

The difficultly and challenge level of Shatterhand was perfect for me. I really enjoyed it, and the music is some of the best on the NES. It also has impressive graphics, complete with parallax scrolling and minimal flickering. It reminded me of Sunsoft's Batman. I tried to no-death that game as well, but I kept dying on the final level.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Edited: 05/13/2013 at 08:05 AM by Zing

May 13, 2013 at 8:47:53 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
This game is easy?

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

May 14, 2013 at 6:32:45 AM
RyuHayabusa (80)
(James A.) < Meka Chicken >
Kentucky
Yep, rented it years ago and beat it the first day. Good game but way too easy.

May 14, 2013 at 11:32:25 AM
ruudos (1)
(Rad Gravity) < Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
Originally posted by: RyuHayabusa

Yep, rented it years ago and beat it the first day. Good game but way too easy.

Yes, I also beat it the first day.
The sequel is more challenging.