Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Battletoads Contest ends Sunday, 4/14/13 at 10 PM NA time RANDOM PRIZE WINNER - RetroDave

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:03:18 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hey everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the weekly contests.  This week's game is sure to be a controller-throwing, rage-inducing, teeth-grinding, profanity-laced, knuckle-bloodying, NES-punching, cartridge-smashing good time.  That's right, this week it's Battletoads.  Here's the rules:

• 1 player only
  • 1 life only
  • If more than one person maxes out the score, the earliest stage where the score was maxed out takes precedence
  • Spots where you can infinitely farm for points are forbidden
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Beat ‘Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 4/14/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will not be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 04/15/2013 at 02:06 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:21:22 PM
sodamancer (4)
(Ricky Hamilton) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
I'm in. I'll be emulating using an xbox360 controller. This is going to be fun.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:31:46 PM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
I warn you, I've been able to get through level 8, in the past, without dying. That's tough as balls though. I doubt I'll make it further than level five the first go.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:55:28 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
I wish Andy was here, he'd school everyone. Guess I'll have to try to beat the speeder bike stage without warping for once. That'll be fun.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:53:12 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Ah boy, right after Ninja Gaiden too. Bimmy I think you're going to make somebody stroke out!

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:25:10 AM
Teknoman (9)
(Andrew David) < Little Mac >
Texas
Originally posted by: Space Jockey

I wish Andy was here, he'd school everyone. Guess I'll have to try to beat the speeder bike stage without warping for once. That'll be fun.

Just dont blink  

"There are many difficult times ahead, but you must keep your sense of humor, work through the tough situations and enjoy yourself".

Edited: 04/08/2013 at 12:25 AM by Teknoman

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:29:09 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Shane

Ah boy, right after Ninja Gaiden too. Bimmy I think you're going to make somebody stroke out!

Indeed, it makes two games in a row that can definitely trigger high blood pressure to some players.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:56:37 AM
Darkjudge1 (0)
(John ) < Little Mac >
Oregon
Why does Bimmy_lee hate us so much? Oh, all right. If I must test my new cart of the game, I suppose I'll give it a go. :-D

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:04:59 AM
RoteDelano (10)
< Little Mac >
Colorado
Oh god why

Alright, I guess I'm in.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:46:28 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

It's probably going to be me. I've never owned this game and I've never played it as far as I can recall. My copy should be here in the mail today so it will be an interesting experience to say the least. Considering the legendary stories I've heard about how hard this game is, I may set an all time low score record!

Edit: Hey Shane, don't forget Ghosts N Goblins is on the list this time too!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 04/08/2013 at 09:47 AM by bearcat-doug

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:00:29 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

It's probably going to be me. I've never owned this game and I've never played it as far as I can recall. My copy should be here in the mail today so it will be an interesting experience to say the least. Considering the legendary stories I've heard about how hard this game is, I may set an all time low score record!

Unfortunately, I don't own this game (I always borrowed from a friend who did) so it's on the computer this week for me.

I saw that too...I hope it's later in the year...

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:56:24 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Indeed, it makes two games in a row that can definitely trigger high blood pressure to some players.

I damaged my NES in a fit of rage while playing Ninja Gaiden, as well as some split knuckles lol. I may try for a score in this game, but chances are, it'll just be for participation, unless I can make some serious progress first.

Originally posted by: Darkjudge1

Why does Bimmy_lee hate us so much? Oh, all right. If I must test my new cart of the game, I suppose I'll give it a go. :-D

Bimmy doesn't hate us, he just likes to see us suffer

ETA: What's harder? Ninja Gaiden or Battletoads? I've never really played Battletoads all that much.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 04/08/2013 at 10:57 AM by dra600n

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:40:33 AM
RetroDave (41)
(Dave T) < El Ripper >
Massachusetts
I'll have to put more effort into Battletoads than I did into Ninja Gaiden. I remember beating it as a kid.

I find Ninja Gaiden to be harder than Battletoads, at least overall.

The speeder bike stage is a bitch, but it can be conquered with good timing and memorization. It is only impossible in 2-player.

For sale/trade.  Want to trade for.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:50:50 AM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
ahhhhhh snap

my time to shine.

So lemme get this straight? Only 1 life getting as far as you can get etc? Sounds good, but how will we know if anyone is cheating? Because this game gives all kinds of 1 ups throughout the levels.

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:55:03 AM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
oh and another thing you may want to put in the rules about warps. If they are usable or not, if it was my contest i would say no warps . thanks!

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:03:19 PM
RetroDave (41)
(Dave T) < El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Parpunk

oh and another thing you may want to put in the rules about warps. If they are usable or not, if it was my contest i would say no warps . thanks!

Can warps be exploited to get a better score?

Since the contest is score based, and a tied max-out score favors whoever maxed out the score earlier, I would think that warping would be a disadvantage, no?

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:26:14 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I'm very much a rookie on Battletoads but I'll give it a go. I'll go ahead and order a few controllers cause I know they're all going to fly!

Ghosts N Goblins eh? That one will receive the ripple affect. First it started with Ninja Gaiden where controllers and systems suffered, then Battletoads where the gamer suffered, Ghosts N Goblins will set a mass case of hysteria across NA! Welcome to die!!!

Seriously though, its going to be awesome

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:11:35 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: RetroDave

Since the contest is score based, and a tied max-out score favors whoever maxed out the score earlier, I would think that warping would be a disadvantage, no?
well its kinda like this.
With warps you can skip the end of the speeder bike part (normally the toughest part to get through where the walls go ridiculously fast) especially with only having 1 life to use. Thus keeping players from advancing to the later levels to get higher scores.

It doesnt matter to me either way, but if it was a game like mario 2 or something, and warps were prohibited, then they should be prohibited in this contest too. 

However if warps are allowed i would think we would have more interest and see players further advancing. Even myself after playing this game for weeks, can still only get through the speeder bikes (without losing a single life) 1 out of every 3 or so runs. Meaning there will be alot of flawless runs through levels 1 and 2, and then losing 1 life in the speeder bikes and starting over and over again. Which is cool wth me cause i know with enough runs i will sneak through level 3 without losing any lives, but again i was playing this for weeks, and to the novice players they will probably freak out and give up lol.I know this game has some farm scoring parts too which is kinda lame IMO if you take part in that. Id say straight run, no farm scoring, no warps. But whatever they decide on is fine with me, as its all in fun and im just glad this is the game of choice this week. Thanks again! 

Edited: 04/08/2013 at 01:34 PM by Parpunk

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:18:28 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

I'll have to put more effort into Battletoads than I did into Ninja Gaiden. I remember beating it as a kid.

The speeder bike stage is a bitch, but it can be conquered with good timing and memorization. It is only impossible in 2-player.

My video might help.  

It's a perfect run of level 3.

Or get the power...nintendo power ..volume 25.
Those maps helped me a lot .
Especially on the racing levels.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:19:37 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: dev(2)

My video might help.  

It's a perfect run of level 3.

Or get the power...nintendo power ..volume 25.
Those maps helped me a lot .
Especially on the racing levels.
nice!
yea for tips you can check my signature too of the walkthrough i wrote up on it. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:22:21 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

With warps you can skip the end of the speeder bike part (normally the toughest part to get through where the walls go ridiculously fast) especially with only having 1 life to use. Thus keeping players from advancing to the later levels to get higher scores.

It doesnt matter to me either way, but if it was a game like mario 2 or something, and warps were prohibited, then they should be prohibited in this contest too. 

However if warps are allowed i would think we would have more interest and see players further advancing. Even myself after playing this game for weeks, can still only get through the speeder bikes (without losing a single life) 1 out of every 3 or so runs. Meaning there will be alot of flawless runs through levels 1 and 2, and then losing 1 life in the speeder bikes and starting over and over again. Which is cool wth me cause i know with enugh runs i will sneak through it without losing any lives, but again i was playing this for weeks, and to the novice players they will probably freak out and give up lol.I know this game has some farm scoring parts too which is kinda lame IMO if you take part in that. Id say straight run, no farm scoring, no warps. But whatever they decide on is fine with me, as its all in fun and im just glad this is the game of choice this week. Thanks again! 

Warping doesn't matter. The best players will already max out the score in level 3.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:26:50 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia

However if warps are allowed i would think we would have more interest and see players further advancing. Even myself after playing this game for weeks, can still only get through the speeder bikes (without losing a single life) 1 out of every 3 or so runs. Meaning there will be alot of flawless runs through levels 1 and 2, and then losing 1 life in the speeder bikes and starting over and over again. Which is cool wth me cause i know with enugh runs i will sneak through it without losing any lives, but again i was playing this for weeks, and to the novice players they will probably freak out and give up lol.I know this game has some farm scoring parts too which is kinda lame IMO if you take part in that. Id say straight run, no farm scoring, no warps. But whatever they decide on is fine with me, as its all in fun and im just glad this is the game of choice this week. Thanks again! 

Warping doesn't matter. The best players will already max out the score in level 3.
with farm scoring i suppose

.....womp womp lame..........lol ...lets kick birds for hours.

Edited: 04/08/2013 at 01:40 PM by Parpunk

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:29:30 PM
RetroDave (41)
(Dave T) < El Ripper >
Massachusetts
Is there a time limit in Battletoads?

Point farming is usually only allowed when there is a game clock and you can't repeatedly get 1-Ups from farming points.

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:30:16 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia

Is there a time limit in Battletoads?

Point farming is usually only allowed when there is a game clock and you can't repeatedly get 1-Ups from farming points.
no time limit in battletoads

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:33:55 PM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles

with farm scoring i suppose

.....womp womp lame..........lol ...lets kick birds or head butt rats for hours.

Yep... level 2 is the key to maxing out fast.

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...