Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Games I have Completed in 2013 40 Down

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:49:31 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
I decided this year was going to be the year to play some games to the end.
I have spent almost a decade aquiring .....only to ever actually play the games a little at a time with no intentions of actually beating a game. Well this is going to be the year I "get my moneys worth" so to say.......... and im starting this thread to track my gaming accomplishments. 

My Goal is to beat at least 30 NES Games by the end of this year (i picked 30 based on my schedule, free time, etc. and i think its doable, as long as i dont keep picking games like battletoads and bayou billy which hold me up for weeks lol. But for bragging rights would love to get through 50 :-) UPDATE I beat 40!

Im your average full time working joe, with a family, kids, other hobbies, etc. I am by no means a game prodigy wizard, and consider myself an average skilled player. My play time is limited and i try to get to games after the kids are in bed, or i have a little free time (which seems like never). But so far im off to a pretty good start. So here we go

All games are beat legit. No cheat codes or level skipping and beaten on original hardware. 
(i will occasionally plug back in a game where i left off ONLY if the game has unlimted continues etc.
For example "little nemo" has unlimited continues. I played the game all the way up to level 8 one night, kept dying, it got to almost 1:00 am and i had to work the next day, soooooo had to put it down. And to save time the following day picked back up at the beginning of level 8 with a game genie. (again only doing this if it does not change the outcome of the game) ie no extra powerups or extra continue trys etc. If the game has "limited" continues then i will stick it out and rough it, which in the end costs me tons of time, and tons of replaying a game (for example bayou billy and battletoads lol) but if the game is good enough its worth it to me. 

#1 Battletoads   Beaten 2-9-2013  First time ever completion!

This is the game that started my quest to want to beat NES games. After getting through this game i felt i could beat anything else. This is an amazing game and DEF in my top 3 favorite games made for the system. For anyone wanting to beat this game,  or waqnt toread my journey on it check out this thread i wrote up.
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...

#2 Battletoads & Double Dragon  Beaten 2-17-13 10:01AM First time ever completion!

After beating the first game it got me wanting to play this one. Overall excellent game, very tough fight with the queen at the end. But DEF a must play game. Love it Also this game has some neat levels that are not your everyday beat em up levels. Stuff like space invaders fights in ships, and racing levels like the first. (dont worry the racing levels are nowhere near as difficult in this game lol)

#3 Adventure Island II Beaten 2-23-2013 10:13PM

Another of my Fav games that i couldnt ever remember beating on real hardware. Awesome game, and gets incredibly tough on the last level. especially if you run out of lives and dinos. Great Game!

#4 The Legend of Zelda Beaten 3-05-2013 9:30PM First time ever completion!

I have no idea how i never played this game much as a kid. Well i remember seeing it played..... and maybe played it a little bit, but never enough to get "into" it. Finally decided to give it a chance and wow! i can now see what i was missing! Amazing game 10 stars!

#5 Contra Beaten 3-10-2013 6:00PM approx.

Amazing game, always a fav of mine. I have no deathed it once. 

#6 Super Contra Beaten 3-10-2013 7:13PM

Another Great Konami Classic. I have beaten this many time, but always come back every year to give it a go again. 

#7 Jackie Chans Kung Fu Beaten 3-22-2013 7:08PM First time ever completion!

This is a great game, and back in 2008 before i sold off alot of my rare CIBS i had this game and never even played it! Well acquired back a cart and finally gave it a try. Awesome, a little easy, but the last and next to last bosses of the game are a little tough. If you like games like adventure island and bonk give it a try!

#8 Zelda II Beaten 3-30-2013 11:21PM First time ever completion!

Great Great Great Great Game. I will say this. I like this one better then the first!!! I love all the side scrolling, leveling up, characters, music, everything of this game. I remember my older cousins playing this alot as a kid, but i never played it until this year. Awesome game, and cannot believe i have collected for 10 years and just now beat this game lol. 

#9 Adventures of Bayou Billy  Beaten 4-8-2013 12:35AM First time ever completion!

This one kept me up late, ugh was agonizing at some parts but i did it! Great game, wish they made it a little easier so more people could have gotten through this beast. Give it a try its a really great game aside from its insane difficulty. One of my favorite games for the NES. I wrote a review and TIPS walkthrough on this one
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...

#10 Super Mario Bros.  Beaten 4-18-2013 7:33PM 

Nothing needs said here, the one that started it all. Had been forever since i skipped warps, and did all the levels. Awesome! Made it to World 7-1 before losing a life.

#11 Rockin Kats  Beaten 4-19-2013 10:43PM First time ever completion!

WOW what a great little hidden gem! This one is waaaay under the radar. I had a lot of fun with this one. Great platformer, good music, graphics, creative concept and cool bosses. Get it, play it, love it! 

#12 Little Nemo The Dream Master  Beaten 4-28-2013 10:03AM First time ever completion!

A game i owned as a kid and never got past level 4 on. Set out to beat it this year and did it in 2 nights of playing! Wow what took me so long lol. Awesome game, great music, bosses, etc. Final stage is pretty tough, but seeing the boss is well worth it. The nightmare king! Awesome!

#13 The Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak  Beaten 4-28-2013 8:11PM 

Excellent little platformer. If you like the first one you will love this one. Its a shame its so pricey cause this is a great game to have and play. Final stage is pretty tough, so is the boss. But the rest of the game is a breeze. Great!

#14 Platoon  Beaten 4-30-2013 6:26PM 

This is a pretty cool game. Dont let all the bad reviews and youtube bashing steer you away. You just have to understand this game to enjoy it. If you are going to play this game here are some tips to make it enjoyable. First level is a maze, simply work your way to the right and once you go about as far as you can go you will find the explosives in the middle trail of the screen. Then simplly back track all the way to the beginning where you started. Then start to work your way up until you are at the very top trail. Its flat and you cannot go up anymore. Then work your way to the right as far as you can going up and down trails. Sooner or later you will go up to a fork, if you go up the right part of the fork your stuck between 2 trees. Then go back down, then go up the left part of the fork, walk left and then go up. Go right and there is the bridge. finally the horror is over. Also the last level is another maze, start off going left after the first screen, then go right on the second screen. Work your way through a few more screens until you come to a screen where you can go left or right. Go right and then it will lead you to the boss. Overall OK game, very confusing, especially if you have no tips. Good music and graphics tho.

#15 JAWS Beaten 4-30-2013 7:27PM First time ever completion!

This is an awesome game. I am a huge fan of the movie and all of them (even the corny ones). And this game has a certain uniqueness to it like no other. I love it! Basically everytime i ever played it before i had no idea what to do, but after watching a speed run where somebody beats it in 4 minutes i finally had a little bit of an idea what to do. Basically you start out in a boat. You need to go to the port far right of the screen to get a JAWS tracking device. You need to aquire shells first from diving in the ocean when your boat "hits something" and shooting sting rays, jellyfish etc. Once you have enough shells, go to the port to the far right. Then make your way back to the starting port "you will then level up if you have enough shells. Simply do the same thing again back to the other port, level up again, and so on and so on back and forth. You can kill JAWS with your power level at 3. But i got mine up to 5 to make it easier. Anyways once you shoot him while your underwater and run his life meter down then you go into a different view. Basically the shark is coming at you and you have to align your strobe in align with him, hit the b button, he pops out of the water, then hit A and stab him. You time it just right and the game is over. Awesome and hilarious. Awesome little gem. !

#16 Adventure Island Beaten 5-04-2013 8:28PM First time ever completion!
(With Continue Bee)

Even with unlimited continues this game is next to impossible. Took me over 3 hours (some breaks in between) But levels 8-2 and 8-3 are just so freaking hard. You will lose your weapon and have to beat them without it. Dodging octopuses and flying barracuda/dolphins its insane. Just watch a youtube video. INSANE Probably the most difficult gameplay i have ever encountered. I literally played some levels like 50 times lol, anyways i got through it, (level 8-4) is pretty easy if you can get through 8-2 and 8-3. Beat the game, end screen comes up, i run to grab my camera, SD card missing, look for it, find it, come back and the screen is back to the main screen. AHHHHH NOOOOO!!! One of my biggest gaming achievements of all time and the most frustrated i have ever been, and i dont even get a celebration shot. Keep me in mind if you beat this game and want a pic of the final screen have a camera close by cause it only stays up for about 15-30 seconds. Overall excellent game, one my of favorites, but they should at least give ya a hatchet on those last few levels. Its really tough. One life saving tip, there is a little island where everytime you jump at it, youll instantly get killed by a dolphin. You have to jump on the very edge of the island to get through this part. Even the barracuda will hit you but it wont register as a hit if you are super close to the edge of the island.

#17 Adventure Island III Beaten 5-05-2013 9:26PM First time ever completion!

Great game and the most colorful of the series. Also by far the easiest of the series. But still not a cakewalk at the end. Just like the other Adventure Island games, worlds 7 and 8 are pretty tough. Especially until you can memorize them and get a good idea of what you wanna do in the levels (especially the volcano levels). Pretty neat additions to this game include a new dino (green triceratops) which is pretty sweet. Also a diamond crystal that enables higgins to take 1 hit without dying. Like a force field shield. Takes a little while to get used to the controls of this game (felt a bit different then AI2 and very different from AI 1, but youll get it and they work good). Overall excellent game, must have for anyone who enjoys the first 2 games. 

#18 P.O.W. Beaten 5-08-2013 8:22PM First time ever completion!

This one held me up for a few evenings. This game is pretty darn tough. I dont think beat em ups are what im good at. Its one of those games were to get through levels you realy have to go in with a game plan of what you wanna do. For example "ok kick this guy, when these guys with knives show up, hit em once, go back kick the other guy some more, rotate, keep moving etc." I got better at the game by quickly moving around hitting some guys once or twice and trying not to let your enemies get too close to ya for a stab. Honestly i thought it was pretty hard, but i have heard some say this game is pretty easy. Anyways made it through the beast, and overall pretty fun game, frustrating at parts, but fun!

#19 Snow Brothers Beaten 5-15-2013 8:06PM First time ever completion!

Great game! Not too hard and can easily be beaten even by a novice. Gets a little tricky towards the end like most NES games, but its at least fair with the lives it gives ya. Great graphics and music. I love some Snow Bros.!

#20 WWF Wrestlemania Beaten 5-17-2013 8:39PM First time ever completion!

This is a really fun game! Especially if your a fan of 80s wrestling legends. I spent hours trying to beat this game with my favorite wrestler (macho man), but i just couldnt do it. I was getting so frustrated and we was soooo weak in this game. So i picked the Hulkster and beat the whole game my second try lol. Considering he's on the front cover, they def made him the strongest and best wrestler in the game. If you wanna beat a short game and "knock one off the list" go for it! But pick the Hulk Hogan to avoid almost certain rage. 

#21 Kirby's Adventure Beaten 5-19-2013 11:13AM First time ever completion!

I may be a small minority here, but man this was a looooooooooong boring game to me. Dont get me wrong amazing graphics, music, etc. But kirby just floats around so slow, colors are all dull and bland, and it just really dont do it for me. Sooooooooooo easy, and it just coasts you through the game. I just thought it was boring and wasnt really feeling it. Def not my kind of game. I mean i had more fun playing Jaws then this if that tells ya anything lol.

#22 Super Mario Bros. 2 Beaten 5-19-2013 1:02PM

Who doesnt love this game! I had great memories growing up playing this all the time. Alot of fun in the little game. And they make it easy to beat without having to use a continue. Just get plenty of coins in the dream/door parts and stock up on some extra lives if ya need em. Bosses are all pretty easy, and this is a great game to play every year or so. 

#23 Bible Adventures Beaten 5-21-2013 8:50PM First time ever completion!

WOW What a neat little game here. I was always under the assumption most unlicensed games were junk, but this is not a bad game. This is actually a really cool game. It has 3 games in 1. Noahs ark, baby moses rescue, and David and Goliath. Overall the gameplay is quirky, but very likeable. Not too challenging and can be beaten in one setting without much effort. It is FUN, and that to me is what's important. Not how amazing it is graphically or how great the controls are, FUN is what i look for in a game. If you havent ever given it a chance check it out! IMO way under the radar of a cool NES game. Also make it to Goliath, he's pretty neat looking in this game :-)

#24 Ninja Gaiden Beaten 5-23-2013 5:54PM First time ever completion!

Excellent game and IMO is pretty easy all up until 5-1 and there after. If you reach the final boss and lose a life you automatically get thrown back to 6-1 and have to play the final level all over again. UGH yea its a pain. Do yourself a favor and if you want to beat this game (without having to go at it for days/weeks/months. Snag the (spin sword) upgrade at the end of level 6-3 (under the ladder) before proceeding. Save it for the bosses. It annihilates them in just a few hits. Again this is easier said then done saving this upgrade, and you end up having to memorize the levels after that and dont make any mistakes, but once you get to the bosses then it makes it a million times easier. Overall amazing game, and is always a blast to play and never gets old. A+

#25 Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers Beaten 6-1-2013 6:01PM 

Excellent game one of my faves. Capcom makes some great games, and this one is no exception. Fun gameplay, good controls, nice graphics, music, etc. All good stuff. And not too challenging. Overall great game!

#26 Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 Beaten 6-4-2013 6:01PM First time ever completion! Completed on emulator after our second baby was born, at the hospital. 

Excellent game like the first one. I thought this one was a bit more challenging. Lot of fun tho, creative bosses, and overall i think i liked this game better then the first. Good stuff!

#27  Contra Force Beaten 6-4-2013 11:45 PM First time ever completion!
Completed on emulator after our second baby was born, at the hospital.

This is not a terrible game. Yea its slow, glitchy, and just about everything that screams "shovelware bad programming" BUT this game shines in a couple instances. The graphics are really good, awesome bosses, and pretty creative levels. The airplane level is very memorable, and i think overall this would have been an excellent game if it wasnt for the slow down. I like the characters and music alot, and this game sucks  in a good way. I like it, not bad and pretty fun. 

#28 Monster Party Beaten 6-5-2013 12:01AM First time ever completion!
Completed on emulator after our second baby was born, at the hospital.

Awesome Game ! I love this game. One of the best on the NES IMO. #1 you play as a kid named Mark. Such a Rad name And you seem some crazy demons, monsters, grim reaper, dancing zombies, hopping fried shrimp and onion rings. I mean its just crazy. Excellent game, one of my faves for the system. A+ all around. I always really liked the artwork on this game too. 

#29 Bonk's Adventure Beaten 7-23-2013 10:25PM First time ever completion!

I Love this game! Not as great as the TG16 version, but still pretty good for a NES port. The final boss is great, and overall the difficulty is pretty easy. If you can afford it, snag this game. Its alot of fun, and a great game to knock off the list. You can normally beat it in probably 45 minutes or so. 

#30 Donkey Kong Beaten 7-26-2013 10:06PM First time ever completion!

I was up late cleaning some games i was getting ready to sell. Popped in donkey kong to test it, and figured. Eh just beat it. So i did. Beat it a few times in a row actually. Super short game, and i wanted to beat it a few times to at least give it a fair shake for my list here. True classic, and gets funner and more challenging the more you play it. I like it. But hey i pretty much like every game i beat lol. Im no expert at thsi game so i didnt try and beat it 50 times and loop the score, but i gave it a fair shake. Good game

#31 TMNT II Arcade Games Beaten 8-30-2013 10:50PM Completed on 2 player mode
First time ever completion!

Excellent Excellent Excellent Game! Love this one. And was way more difficult then i expected it to be. I beat this game with my brother in law, who literally only played the game one time in his life. And wasnt even born until 1996 LOL ! But needless to say, he caught on quick, and we were able to go the distance! Krang was super tough in this game, harder then shredder in my opinion. Great graphics, great music, all around excellent game. 5 stars!

#32 Mickeys Safari in Letterland Beaten 9-21-2013 10:29PM First time ever completion!

Alright Alright Alright, so i went for an easy one. But i always liked the artwork on this cart, and i had to clean this game for our store. So after cleaning it up, i was like, eh......lets try it out. And i did and completed. All three difficulties (which for a grown man, was cake lol) But nevertheless, this actually is a fun little game. Running around catching letters with a net, jumping across hippos, dodging all kinds of other animals. All in all pretty cool, and a great game for your kids. I know my kids are gonna love this one, my boy already has an obsession with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, so will be neat to introduce him to a fun little game like this. And best of all, helps with spelling and learning the alphabet. Sweet!

#33 North and South Beaten 9-22-2013 9:45PM (approx.)

Excellent game! I didnt beat this game on every possible situation /  etc. But i did beat all four years, all with the skill levels maxed out at 3. And it wasnt very hard. However the game is kinda unfair, as when your facing the computer, they can somehow manage horses, rifle men, and cannon all at the same time. But you are forced to switch around constantly, and once your horses are activated you cant stop them. And they will sometimes run into water and drown, or off a cliff.  This makes the game much more difficult. But even still, its not too hard to master. Always watch the other sides cannon, as it will immediately try to take out all our men, as soon as you start battle. All in all, excellent game and one i have played my whole life. Great game A+ !

#34 Wacky Races Beaten 10-04-2013 9:46PM First time ever completion!

Such an awesome little gem here! I had found this game this week in the wild. It was very dirty, neglected, had soda spilled on the side and was being held together by dried up pepsi colored syrup lol. I took it apart and gave it a full restore. Felt great to clean it up, polish the contacts like new, make the shell look like new, and bring it back to life. Im glad i did, as this is a game i had never played before, and i tell ya its fantastic! Out of this whole year of beating games, and discovering new ones. This one and Rockin Kats have been some really nice surprises. This is a platformer game, colorful, great controls, music, etc. Difficulty isnt too bad, and a pretty easy game to beat. Pricey one, but def worth its price tag in coolness. Has to be in the top 50 coolest games on NES. 5 stars! 

#35 Castlevania Beaten 10-12-2013 8:51PM

What cannot be said about the original Castlevania. One of the most perfect examples of what games "used" to be like. I had great memories as a kid renting this game, and it being super spooky. This game has one of the best soundtracks of any game for the system. The difficulty is set right where it needs to be. Great characters, colors, controls, music, its all perfect! Dracula was way harder then i expected, but once i figured out how to beat him, made it super easy. I suggest use Holy Water on grim reaper (youtube it if you have to) He cant move if you lay it on him as soon as he appears. Also when you fight Dracula, stay on the ground until he shoots his fire. If you are on the ground the fire will stay low everytime, and you can jump it and crack him in the head in the same motion. Save the holy water for the Beast form, and he's done. Excellent game, one of my all time faves!

#36 Mike Tyson's Punchout!! Beaten 10-14-2013 8:13PM First time ever completion!

Another Nintendo Masterpiece! Excellent game, that i surprisingly have never beaten the entire way through. I of course threw the 007-373-5963 pass code in, and showed off in front of friends of how i could beat tyson, blah blah. But never set down and beat every fighter. Finally did! Wasnt too hard, did it in a couple hours one evening. Ran out of time, had to go to a family get together, and was unable to "remaster" beating tyson on the same run. So plugged back in the next night, and after a few attempts, got it back down again. So i completed the whole game this year and finally laid this one to rest. I used to always get stuck on Mr Sandman for some reason. After really trying to beat him, hes not so bad. Punch to the face, then gut. Just make sure to dodge his super fast three uppercuts. He will flash for a second before he throws them. Super macho man, was pretty easy to me. Just dodge his spinning uppercuts by dodging left or right. Tyson, is tough, especially the first 1:30 of round 1. Simply dodge every uppercut and hit em twice in between. After that, he winks and punches. Dodge em, and sink 2 hits each time. Round 2 is similar, starts with 5 sets of double jabs. Dodge all those, and then watch his uppercuts, and sink some hits after each uppercut. All in all excellent game. I had the most trouble with sandman, don flamenco (the second time), bald bull, and tyson. Later went back and TKO'd Tyson, as the first time i beat him, was by decision. After i get through more games this year, plan to go back and do the whole game in one run, and see what kind of rank i can get. 5 star game!

#37 Friday the 13th Beaten 10-23-2013 10:39PM First time ever completion!

This one took a few nights, lots of frustration and confusion. I love this game! I will say it is a great game. Really is. However if you have no tips or pointers and go into this thing blind, it will be HARD. Like nearly impossible hard. I tried roughing it for a few hours and gave up. I had to get some online help on this one. And i will share my strategies on how i beat this game. I took some tips i found from others and kinda tweaked my own method a bit. First things to know 1. You dont have to go into the woods much, go in jump around for some vitamins, then get out! 2. Jason starts killing children in the cabin when the timer hits 30. 3. There are no fireplaces in the cabins in the woods. 5. Fight Jasons Mom's head on the second day to get the sweater, you need the flash light to find it. But you will get it after lighting all the torches in the 7 cabins. Now, First you want to pick a fast counselor. Mark, Crissy, and Lauren our the best. (in that order) I start with Mark, not because its my name,:-P  but he's the best all around in the game. Anyways jump around and collect as many vitamins as you can. Once you get the lighter (almost immediately as you start) you want to start lighting fireplaces. Thanks to "NA member Commander Santa" I lit the 4 fire places on the left side of the map first. (the 2 large cabins around the cave area) and the two on the paths outside of the ring around the cave. One north, and one south. After that, go and light the fireplace all the way to the right of the map, a little south of the path that takes you towards the lake. If you do it in this order you will pick up a note in this cabin on your way out saying "you can find a torch in a cabin" I think you have to get this note to get the torch to appear. Anyways then hit the large cabin south of the lake, and then the large one north of the lake. You will get the torch on the way out. It appears, make sure you select "take" and then do the same thing with 2 more counselors. I managed to get torches on 3 counselors. Then ran around and killed enough zombies to get 2 of the other counselors machetes. After that kill Jason on Day 1. On Day 2, i start with mark, go kill jasons mom's head and get her sweater. Then after that kill off jason again. He isnt too hard in the cabins on day 2, just watch the double strikes.  DAY 3 (here's where i had to get a strategy and some more tips.) Jason is next to impossible to dodge on day 3 inside the cabin. SO, what i did was use mark wth the sweater and go toe to toe with him in the cabins ONLY to save the children. This video demonstrates this perfectly

And then when jason attacks the counselors, simply run outside as soon as you swtich to the counselor being attacked, and hit em with all you got. Sometimes you can even get 2 segments with him on the roads, if you have a fast counselor and repeatedly chase him down. So basically only fight him in the cabins on the third day, ONLY to save the children. But make sure you have a counselor with full health, the sweater, and maybe even a few vitamin bottles, since you take alot of hits this way. There is also another way to dodge him on the third day in the cabins, but it is tough and i couldnt master it too easily. Big thanks for all the tips and info from commander santa, braveheart, and others in this thread here> http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...

#38 Karnov Beaten 11-03-2013 9:59AM First time ever completion!

A Game i always wanted to play, but never gave it the time of day. In the past i would put it in, say "these controls are weak and clunky" then turn it off. Boy was i wrong! This is a factastic game! AWESOME and has to be another favorite of mine on the system. Its not too difficult (seems like it at first) But once you start to stock up powerups, memorize some levels, and sparingly use your powerups when you need them, you can get through this one. Some tips i figured out. 1. Save your shields to fight bosses. 2. Save your high jumps, as you can use them to get more powerups later in the game. 3. Use bombs on the bosses if you can get in there and drop them.It lowers their health signifantly. Save your "wings" powerup for the later level. But even if you do have to continue, wings will appear at the beginning of the stage and there are still enough throughout the level to make it to the end. Overall Great game, and a really fun play through! A+

#39 Commando Beaten 11-03-2013 11:38AM First time ever completion!

Was reccomended that this game isnt too hard, and one i should try out. Took a little while, some frustration, but stick with it and you'll get it. Basically 16 levels all together, broken down into 1-4 segments. The same levels repeated but bumped up with more and more enemies in each segment. Only tip i have is to stay moving, keep going forward, and you cant kill em all, so just keep running and avoid them. I lost alot of lives in the last section and my thumb was super sore from constanlty moving the player. Overall good game, has a nice arcade feel to it, and a nice addition to the NES with its arcade feel. I give it a B+

#40 Felix the Cat Beaten 11-03-2013 12:48PM First time ever completion!

Super easy game to beat! And a great platformer. Had alot of fun with this one, and was nice to be able to just cruise through a game, without the frustration that most NES games can put forth. This would be a great game for "wives and kids". Not too difficult anywhere in the game, and the music and graphics are top notch. Much like Wacky Races this game has alot going for it. I enjoyed it more then Kirby's adventure if that says anything! The space level has some tricky parts, but when in danger just float up to the very top of the screen and youll actually go off the screen. Bt remember you will have to descend to keep up your hearts for the spcae ship your in, as if they run out, so does your life.  The final boss is a little challenging, just dont rush em. Take your time dodging his crystals he throws, and you'll have this one in the bag. Some notable stages are towards the end on the foreign planet, honestly some of the most impressive sprites and grpahics ive ever seen on a NES title. Super colorful, looks great.  A+ Title!

-------------------------
Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
Visit our store in Winchester Virginia! http://www.facebook.com/backtothemedia
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Edited: 08/05/2019 at 01:42 PM by Parpunk

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:50:37 PM
Quack (68)
(Quack Quack) < King Solomon >
Florida
Awesome topic, looking forward to your progress!

Mr Penguin O4 (9:01:18 PM): Quackenguin
SnappleSTG (9:01:28 PM): Pengenbush

Swing by my YouTube channel for a visit, and sub up while you're there! :)

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:04:39 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: Quack

Awesome topic, looking forward to your progress!
Thanks! its pretty fun this way! And keeps ya motivated to keep trying new games 

Shop Retro Video Games, Vinyl, Toys, Comics, and more at https://www.backtothemedia.com/ 
NES Games beaten in 2013 - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&am...
Me getting my first Nintendo in 1990 (for real) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhKPNV2PbM

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:06:49 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Awesome thread! I was thinking just the other day how cool it would be to have a thread where everyone posts the games they are beating/have beaten this year, but the "Can we beat every XXX game in 2013?" thread kind of snuffs that idea. I think I'm going to start keeping a list regardless!

Edited: 04/29/2013 at 04:07 PM by NostalgicMachine

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:13:25 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Very cool, do you have any goals for games that you plan it beat this year?

Playas Guide Logo

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:22:35 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: nes_pimp

My main goal is to beat the games i had as a kid. Or beat the games i remember playing all the time as a kid. Battletoads, bayou billy, and little nemo were games i had and played alot of but never beat. Already got them outta the way. 

Next in my scopes is Friday the 13th (owned) , demon sword, rampage, adventure island 1, (cousin owned those) many more. And to discover some new games i have never even gave a chance like i did with Rockin Kats, and Jacki Chan. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:26:32 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Parpunk

Originally posted by: nes_pimp

My main goal is to beat the games i had as a kid. Or beat the games i remember playing all the time as a kid. Battletoads, bayou billy, and little nemo were games i had and played alot of but never beat. Already got them outta the way. 

Next in my scopes is Friday the 13th (owned) , demon sword, rampage, adventure island 1, (cousin owned those) many more. And to discover some new games i have never even gave a chance like i did with Rockin Kats, and Jacki Chan. 

Currently on (and planning to complete) Friday the 13th myself! Getting soooo close, that damn Day 3...

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:30:30 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

Currently on (and planning to complete) Friday the 13th myself! Getting soooo close, that damn Day 3...

Awesome! cant wait to try that one again. I used to always run around in a circle fighting jason as a kid. Never knew there was any strategy to fighting him, or where to fight him, what weapons to use etc. 

Edited: 04/29/2013 at 04:30 PM by Parpunk

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:56:47 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire

Awesome! cant wait to try that one again. I used to always run around in a circle fighting jason as a kid. Never knew there was any strategy to fighting him, or where to fight him, what weapons to use etc. 

Which is why most just assume the game is garbage! If there's anything that's helped me immensely, it's realizing you can press START in the small cabins and essentially warp right to whomever Jason is attacking. Oh, and keep him OUT OF THE CABINS as much as possible on days 2 and 3; to do this, you just warp to the cabin and head for the door. Once you step foot outside, it's on!

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:59:06 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia

Which is why most just assume the game is garbage! If there's anything that's helped me immensely, it's realizing you can press START in the small cabins and essentially warp right to whomever Jason is attacking. Oh, and keep him OUT OF THE CABINS as much as possible on days 2 and 3; to do this, you just warp to the cabin and head for the door. Once you step foot outside, it's on!

Awesome so you just warp to the cabin where hes at, exit the door, and then fight em on the roads, woods etc.??
What about in the boat? Also whats the best weapon to use against em?

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:04:23 PM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire

Awesome so you just warp to the cabin where hes at, exit the door, and then fight em on the roads, woods etc.??
What about in the boat? Also whats the best weapon to use against em?

You're pretty much screwed anytime you have to get in the lake and travel to the cabin there; there's no real escape from having to fight him there. He knows this, and will make day 3 impossible for you if you think you're outsmarting him by placing your counselors all around the lake. You want to fool him into attacking counselors in the cabins, so you can apply the above strategy.

Get the torch ASAP, and get everyone knives (or higher). You'll get the groove going, and figure it out! It's taken me like 3 weeks, but I'm at the point where I'm getting everyone caught up, and within 10 minutes I'm on day 3. Patience, patience, and PRACTICE!!!

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:45:05 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
This looks good man. Is there a pattern to what games you pick?

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:41:44 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: DarkTone

This looks good man. Is there a pattern to what games you pick?
Nope not really, just winging it lol.

I have had alot of games on the back burner for years, just never pursued it. 10 years ago when i started i would play a game for 5 mintues and say "ah this sucks" and then pop in Contra for the 100th time. lol, i was pretty close minded. But now i sorta found a new appreciation for some of these games, and have found that almost any game is worth playing, if you give it the time of day. And some games that start out slow and look like they suck, are really hidden gems. 

Battletoads haunted me ever since i was a little kid lol. After beating it i felt like i could beat anything so i started trying lol, and so far its been a blast, and so far it has led me to this list.

However all the games i pick come from my collection and are played on real hardware. No powerpak or anything. I really want to beat little samson or bonk but i dont own those yet. (used to have both CIB in 08) but barely played em lol. I kinda went from hardcore collector, to more of a gamer/collector in the last year lol. 

And im telling ya ive been on both sides, and playing them IS the funnest part. But i do still love hunting for them every weekend :-)

Edited: 04/29/2013 at 06:42 PM by Parpunk

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:31:30 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Love this man! I try to beat one game a weekend i never have beaten before, stay up late when kids and wifey (boss) are snoring and get after it. Last weekend flintstones dino and hoppy this weekend setting sights on kid niki. I used to play the collection here and there but found it more fun to stay on a game until beaten and move on. Keep it goin boss you can do it!

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:40:35 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Great thread!

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:46:23 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: BilltownSparty

Love this man! I try to beat one game a weekend i never have beaten before, stay up late when kids and wifey (boss) are snoring and get after it. Last weekend flintstones dino and hoppy this weekend setting sights on kid niki. I used to play the collection here and there but found it more fun to stay on a game until beaten and move on. Keep it goin boss you can do it!
Thanks guys for the support!

This sums up EXACTLY how i was too. Now i pick a game, and stick with it. For the most part unless i cant stand it, or aint feeling it.

So far in the "aint feeling it pool" i experimented with : Trog, Conan but the rest i have stuck with. 

nesmaster - thanks so much for the support.

May 1, 2013 at 9:36:18 AM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Beat Platoon and Jaws last night ! Great games ! Platoon i beat last year with a game genie, so i already knew what to do. But last night was the first time i beat it legit, and i didnt lose a single life the whole game!

May 7, 2013 at 1:23:59 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Couple more completions

Stuck now on POW, at the level 2 boss.
Anyone play it much? any hints or tips ? Those dudes with knives keep knifing me!

UPDATE ! Just jump kick at the boss and the knives dont hurt you

Edited: 05/22/2013 at 11:01 AM by Parpunk

May 23, 2013 at 6:06:47 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Celebration Bump!

Just beat Ninja Gaiden for the first time! Up to 24 games now. I think my goal of 30 this year is gonna happen!

Now im setting a new goal

50 games before the years end. !

Edited: 05/23/2013 at 06:07 PM by Parpunk

May 25, 2013 at 9:46:33 PM
johnnymad (31)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Louisiana
Awesome idea! I've beaten Mega Man 1 and 2 so far. On last level of Mega Man X.

My FT Trade: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

My Wanted List: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

May 26, 2013 at 2:28:27 AM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio

Celebration Bump!

Just beat Ninja Gaiden for the first time! Up to 24 games now. I think my goal of 30 this year is gonna happen!

50 is easily doable if you pick the right games   Just look at the "Can NA beat every NES game..." thread for some of the easiest ones.  There are many that are beatable in 30 minutes or less.
I beat Ghostbusters this year for the first time ever, and it was the first time I ever seriously attempted it in my life.  It only took me about 40 minutes or so.
If you want to focus on good games only, that's a different story though

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:
• "Second Hand News" -Fleetwood Mac

I am one of the elite in game playing circles... a "Nintendo Lemming Master"

May 26, 2013 at 12:49:39 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Originally posted by: WashYourFace

Celebration Bump!

50 is easily doable if you pick the right games   Just look at the "Can NA beat every NES game..." thread for some of the easiest ones.  There are many that are beatable in 30 minutes or less.
I beat Ghostbusters this year for the first time ever, and it was the first time I ever seriously attempted it in my life.  It only took me about 40 minutes or so.
If you want to focus on good games only, that's a different story though
Yea i have kinda been picking whatever with no sense of direction. I am chasing games that i had good memories of playing as a kid. But i don't wanna do all easy ones either, but i do feel i have beaten enough hard ones to throw in some easy ones lol.

Overall just been kinda discovering and rediscovering some classics. I was amazed at how many games i have owned but never beat. 

Mega Man games are def a to do list. I recently beat Mega Man 2 with a friend. Also wanna do a castlevania game or 2. I never beat metroid either. So i have a lot of good first timers ahead. 

BTW so far battletoads, bayou billy, and P.O.W. Gave me a TON of trouble. ugh, but glad i got through em. 

Edited: 05/26/2013 at 12:51 PM by Parpunk

Jul 26, 2013 at 4:48:08 PM
Parpunk (172)
(Mark ) < King Solomon >
West Virginia
Boom! Im back!

Long overdue update. Wife and I had our second baby, and i was taking some time off from the NES beat train.

I just beat Bonks adventure and am now only 1 game away from my "hope to beat 30 NES games this year"
Also updated with monster party, chip n dale 2, and contra force!

Guess im gonna have to go for 50 ! Enjoy

also just noticed it has been exactly 2 months since my last update lol
that was not planned lol

Edited: 07/26/2013 at 04:49 PM by Parpunk

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:16:55 PM
PolarBear (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(John Williams) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Awesome update! I loved reading through all your progress. Be sure to hop back on the train and knock out those 50+ nes games this year!

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:24:20 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Love this thread. Mark's a beast make no mistake about it!