Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Saturn is better than the Nintendo 64 yeah i said it

Sep 04 at 9:54:25 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Edit: so see your list and it is quite short. You need much more than that to top the N64.

Edited: 09/04/2019 at 09:56 PM by punch-out!!84

Sep 04 at 10:45:48 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
If you want to make a little more objective of a comparison

Edited: 09/04/2019 at 10:46 PM by phart010

Sep 04 at 10:59:28 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Off the top of my head for the N64. These are personal titles I enjoyed and I know there's more.

The obvious ones:
SM64
Mario Kart 64
Zelda OOT
Zelda Majora's Mask
Star Fox 64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Golden Eye
Perfect Dark
Turok 1
Mario Party
Paper Mario
Yoshi's Story

Personal Faves (in no order):
Cruisin' USA (not the arcade game but still fun!)
Mischief Makers (the only 2D platform I owned for the system)
NBA Hang Time (loved NBA Jam, but felt this was the best.)
WCW vs. NWO (Lot's of fun times with my Buddy with this one.)
Virtual Pool (I loved this sleeper. I've heard from pool nuts that this isn't just the best version of this game but, to date, not a better pool haul physics sim has been made. I'd believe it.)
Wave Race (I don't know what it is, but it' still a good game, even with it's age.)
STAR WARS: SotE (Probably my favorite SW game and I even enjoy Ord Mantel)
STAR WARS: Rogue Squadron (It's amazing. Period.)
STAR WARS: Pod Racer (Yes, Ep.1 sucks but it's actually a good game.)
Extreme-G (I loved it and many others did which is why there are so many copies out there.)
Doom 64 (if you can get your brightness adjusted properly, it's still fun)
Mission Impossible (You can't compare it to Golden Eye but it's still fun. Also a dime a dozen because, it was a fun game.)
Donkey Kong 64

There are others and though I'm sure many will disagree with some of these, I'm sure they have just as many that they could also mention. I also left out a lot of ports. True, you might be able to play some games also on the PS1 and Saturn, but that doesn't make them less fun. A playable port is still a solid game for the system and those can count too.

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 04 at 11:18:20 PM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

Edit: so see your list and it is quite short. You need much more than that to top the N64.

Uhh I think you misunderstand the purpose of my list. I wasn’t trying to name every great game on the Saturn. I just wanted to share a smattering of titles that I feel represent the library pretty well. There are loads more games I could have listed but chose not to. 

I’m not some N64 hater. I loved my 64 growing up. I still love it today. Some of my favorite games ever are exclusive to the 64. And I’m not just talking about the big titles. The 64 has some lesser known stuff that deserve spots on anyone’s must-play list. The racing and wrestling titles spring immediately to mind. But really its library falls apart relatively quickly; and a lot of it has aged badly.

Seems like most of you here have never even played the Saturn. I’ve played both the N64 and Saturn pretty extensively. And based on that experience it is my opinion that the Saturn has a stronger library. 

Sep 04 at 11:21:46 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: attakid101

Originally posted by: Splain

Ok, help me out a little. I like N64 games, and I've never played a Saturn. I've basically ignored the Saturn my whole life. So I couldn't name even one Saturn game if my life depended on it. I always assumed it was junk, since it didn't do well enough to fund its own successor.

So sure, I'll bite. What are the "killer apps" that make the Saturn better than the N64? I'm genuinely interested to look into them. Based on your post, I assume you have a nice, long list of must-plays, and that you're not just coming from "N64 is so bad that even the Saturn is better."
Dammit! I was hoping I wouldn't have to defend my position!

Alright here's where things get kind of ambiguous... Ultimately I can't recommend collecting for the Saturn, even though I love its catalog. Shit's just too expensive, bro. 

But here's a short list of games I recommend checking out if you can:

Dragon Force (totally addicting strategy RPG)
Guardian Heroes (unique and strategic beat 'em up)
Galactic Attack (reasonably priced and creative shooter)
Panzer Dragoon & Panzer Dragoon Zwei (unforgettable rail shooters)
Virtua Fighter 2 (super affordable 3D fighter)
Sega Rally Championship (super affordable and addicting rally racer)
Magic Knight Rayearth (fun little action RPG)
Shining Force III (strategy RPG--I prefer Dragon Force. Still Fun though

If you're willing to import (and you should)

X-Men VS Street Fighter (best version on any console)
Vampire Savior (pretty much arcade perfect fighter)
Soukyugurentai (affordable and creative shooter)
Gunbird (awesome shooter--cheap)
Radian Silvergun (it's Radian Silvergun...amazing)
Silhouette Mirage (super creative action platformer)

There's lots more, man. And there's plenty of great stuff I've never even played.

I've never been impressed with the saturn's library.  Most of these games are mediocre to me, and I've never really cared for any of the big name games that everyone flaunts like Radiant Silver Gun.  I generally like stuff like Die Hard Arcade and Astal.  It does have a great shmup library, but unless you're pirating it will cost you a fortune.  It's still a good console with a lot of good games.  I just think it's overated to collect for (like the Neo Geo).

Sep 04 at 11:22:51 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas

There's lots more, man. And there's plenty of great stuff I've never even played.
To add to this:

NTSC
  • Albert Odyssey Legend of Eldean
  • Astal
  • Darius Gaiden
  • Fighting Vipers
  • In the Hunt
  • Legend of Oasis
  • Lunacy
  • Night Warriors
  • Nights into Dreams
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Shining The Holy Ark
  • Shining Wisdom
  • Virtual On Cyber Troopers

Imports
  • Batsugun 
  • Battle Garegga
  • Bokan to Ippatsu! Doronbo Kanpekiban
  • Blast Wind
  • Choujikuu Yousai Macross: Ai Oboete Imasu ka
  • Cotton 2
  • Cotton Boomerang
  • Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness
  • DonPachi and DoDonPachi
  • Game Tengoku: The Game Paradise!
  • Hyper Duel
  • Konami Antiques: MSX Collection Ultra Pack
  • Konami packs: Gradius Deluxe Pack, Detana Twinbee Yahho Deluxe Pack, Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
  • Prikura Daisakusen
  • Sengoku Blade
  • Shippuu Mahou Daisakusen: Kingdom-Grandprix
  • Strikers 1945
  • Tenchi o Kurau II: Sekiheki no Tatakai
  • Twinkle Star Sprites

Originally posted by: CMR

...I just think it's overated to collect for (like the Neo Geo).

Agreed. The PS1 is still where it's at in this generation, for imports, stateside releases, and for good games in general. 

Edited: 09/04/2019 at 11:51 PM by Philosoraptor

Sep 04 at 11:24:19 PM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
Originally posted by: CMR

Originally posted by: Splain

Ok, help me out a little. I like N64 games, and I've never played a Saturn. I've basically ignored the Saturn my whole life. So I couldn't name even one Saturn game if my life depended on it. I always assumed it was junk, since it didn't do well enough to fund its own successor.

So sure, I'll bite. What are the "killer apps" that make the Saturn better than the N64? I'm genuinely interested to look into them. Based on your post, I assume you have a nice, long list of must-plays, and that you're not just coming from "N64 is so bad that even the Saturn is better."
Dammit! I was hoping I wouldn't have to defend my position!

Alright here's where things get kind of ambiguous... Ultimately I can't recommend collecting for the Saturn, even though I love its catalog. Shit's just too expensive, bro. 

I've never been impressed with the saturn's library.  Most of these games are mediocre to me, and I've never really cared for any of the big name games that everyone flaunts like Radiant Silver Gun.  I generally like stuff like Die Hard Arcade and Astal.  It does have a great shmup library, but unless you're pirating it will cost you a fortune.  It's still a good console with a lot of good games.  I just think it's overated to collect for (like the Neo Geo).
I don’t like Astal. It’s a totally bland and unoriginal platfomer. Good visuals though.

Sep 04 at 11:28:50 PM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
If you ranked all the best Saturn and N64 games in a combinef list then the N64 would have more in the top 10 but Saturn would have more in the top 50

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Sep 04 at 11:42:30 PM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: LutherDestroysTheGond

If you ranked all the best Saturn and N64 games in a combinef list then the N64 would have more in the top 10 but Saturn would have more in the top 50

I'd say that list would heavily depend on the preferred genres of the person making the list. If you get someone who likes SHMUPS and RPGs, they might put a whole hell of a lot of Saturn games in that top 10. Lots of Saturn SHMUPS are still considered some of the best in the genre to this day. If you get someone who likes 3D adventure games, then the N64 is going to dominate the top 10.

Sep 05 at 12:51:06 AM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I notice nobody ever gives the Saturn credit for great games that are also on PS1, like Mega Man X4, Rayman, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider.

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (56 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 05 at 2:46:32 AM
MegaMan52 (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Out of all the better Nintendo consoles (NES, SNES, N64. GameCube, and Switch), the N64 is my least favorite even though I still really enjoy Super Mario 64, Paper Mario, Zelda, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, and even Mega Man 64. Also, I'd say it has aged the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMan52/

Sep 05 at 3:25:28 AM
erac (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Sadly, neither of them has much homebrew. Both have a rep for being hard to program, and the Saturn has additional handicaps in its ugly 3d (quads + bad texture mapping like PS1 + bad transparency) and lacking a widely available flashcart (the Satiator may change things, but it's not out yet).

I've never played a Saturn, but looking at a "best Saturn games" list, it had like three good games total. I am a RPG person, but I can't speak Japanese; Grandia is only in English for PS1 (though there's an ongoing fan effort), and many others didn't get any translations. Shining Force 3 only had the first part translated.

Sep 05 at 7:30:07 AM
Nes Gangsta (90)
< Meka Chicken >
New York
Saturn > N64

I have had both since launch and besides the few great N64 games there is a lot of filler trash games where the Saturn has its fair share but has better quality games overall.

Some games not mentioned that were great on the Saturn-

-Virtua Cop 1 & 2. Fun Shooter gun games
-Three Dirty Dwarves. Fun beat em up
-Nights into Dreams. Awesome platformer but way better when used with the 3D pad
-Die hard Arcade. Another fun beat em up
-House of the Dead. Expensive Gun game but also fun to play.
-MM x4 and 8.
-Loaded
-Mr. Bones
-Skeleton Warriors
-Darius Gaiden, one of my favorite shmups.
-PowerSlave
-Earthworm Jim 2
-Gex
-Shinobi Legions
-Pandemonium
-Croc
-Bug 1 & 2
-Sega Touring. Fun racing game made better with the steering wheel accessory.
-Virtual ON. If you have the Twin Sticks its another fun game.
-X-Men children of the atom and Marvel Super Heroes. Both fun fighting games.

I could keep going...

Sep 05 at 7:57:57 AM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States

There's no denying that the N64 has some of the best games ever made. Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Goldeneye, etc. The 64 had several instant classics. And I'll admit that the best games on the 64 are better than the best games on Saturn.

But......

In my mind the Saturn has a more varied assortment of great games. Granted, some genres aren't well represented (3D platformers most notably), but in my opinion the Saturn had more killer apps than the 64.

And I'm not even talking about the import titles. I mean the stuff released here in North America. If we include imports the Saturn absolutely dominates the 64.

.....but the Playstation shits on them both.

This thread needs a poll    Which is better - N64, or Saturn?  I'd be curious to see the responses hah

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Sep 05 at 8:29:06 AM
HammerDaddy (8)
< El Ripper >
Antartica
You hit the nail on the head at the end. PSX has more great games than both systems combined.

Sep 05 at 8:43:06 AM
Nintegageo (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Canada
As with all the things, it depends on your personal taste. Both Nintendo and Sega have an amazing IP catalogue. Both have smaller libraries than usual, with separate and obvious genres being underrepresented on each. Having owned and enjoyed both, I would probably choose the N64 just because the mega hitters on it are games everyone should play. The Saturn had some amazing games, but other than NiGHTS I can't really name any "new idea" ones that were genre setting and/or unique on their own. When you consider Japan however, the Saturn might actually win.

Sep 05 at 8:43:13 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I freaking love the Saturn-- it's my all time most favorite console.

Sonic Jam, Nights into Dreams, Bug!, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Duke Nukem 3D, Gex, Earthworm Jim 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers... The Saturn had a bitchin' library.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Sep 05 at 11:27:34 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I mean...opinions. I disagree heavily but differing opinions is what makes discussion interesting.

Sep 05 at 11:31:42 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: LutherDestroysTheGond

Yeah, I agree. Whenever people tout the virtues of the N64, it's always the same couple of dozen games, mostly first party, with an occasional decent game like Beetle Adventure Racing. Saturn by no means is the greatest console ever, but it does seem have a more diverse library to choose good games from. 

Sep 05 at 11:59:25 AM
Kid Dracula (92)
(AP ) < Lolo Lord >
Nova Scotia
Originally posted by: erac

Sadly, neither of them has much homebrew. Both have a rep for being hard to program, and the Saturn has additional handicaps in its ugly 3d (quads + bad texture mapping like PS1 + bad transparency) and lacking a widely available flashcart (the Satiator may change things, but it's not out yet).

I've never played a Saturn, but looking at a "best Saturn games" list, it had like three good games total. I am a RPG person, but I can't speak Japanese; Grandia is only in English for PS1 (though there's an ongoing fan effort), and many others didn't get any translations. Shining Force 3 only had the first part translated.
Haha. Perhaps this is the case with many people here since it is a nintendo based website. 

If you include imports and/or are a fan of shoot-em-ups it's really not even close. I play Saturn imports all the time and can't remember the last time I hooked up a 64. 

Sep 05 at 12:26:43 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Does having bad games available for a console make the console worse?

It's very interesting to look back at consoles when we're able to emulate their entire libraries. As a kid, having more than 6-7 games for a console was a big deal. That was the entire library of that console for me. So if a console had 6-7 absolute bangers, then it didn't matter if worse games existed.

I definitely want to try some of these games out. How accessible are the imports? Language barrier?

Sep 05 at 12:34:11 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
If we're only counting the US library I definitely wouldn't agree. Neither consoles has tons of games or tons of hits, but even though N64 is 95% junk, the top 5% is pretty sweet. Sega's US arcade ports are mostly garbage. Just because is nominally has Daytona, SRC, or HotD doesn't mean they're versions anyone would ever want to play over the real thing. The vast majority of the good ports are Japanese.

I'd definitely take Saturn's worldwide library of 2D games and arcade ports over N64, but if we're limited to America a handful of great Nintendo and Rare games beats a handful of great Sega games to me.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 05 at 12:37:24 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
The top reads "better than N64", not "better to play today" or "aged better", etc. To be honest I don't want to play much of anything from early 3D eras, N64, PS1 and Saturn all included. Probably never again more than a nostalgic trip down memory lane here or there.

But in it's prime, Saturn was an inferior second fiddle to PS1 and N64 at least offered a unique experience you couldn't get elsewhere. The multiplayer king and when a new N64 stud released, we all brought our controller to someone's house for intense 4 player action.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 09/05/2019 at 12:38 PM by jonebone

Sep 05 at 12:53:42 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
I'm in the Saturn camp. Saturn has more interesting titles and are generally nicer to look at. Plus nobody had mentioned Saturn has the perfect controller in the revised 6 button.

A couple other notable Saturn games are panzer dragoon 1 & 2, and fire pro 6men in japan.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Sep 05 at 1:08:29 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

The top reads "better than N64", not "better to play today" or "aged better", etc. To be honest I don't want to play much of anything from early 3D eras, N64, PS1 and Saturn all included. Probably never again more than a nostalgic trip down memory lane here or there.

But in it's prime, Saturn was an inferior second fiddle to PS1 and N64 at least offered a unique experience you couldn't get elsewhere. The multiplayer king and when a new N64 stud released, we all brought our controller to someone's house for intense 4 player action.
This is exactly why I love the Saturn.  It is a 2-d beast!  I was still holding on to the 2-d gaming dream when everyone was moving on to 3-d games.  I'll never forgot the feeling of "wow, they've actually done it, I'm playing an arcade perfect port in my dorm room".  This was when I imported X-men Vs. Street Fighter and popped it in for the first time.  To me this was the first arcade perfect port ever (and yes I know all about NEO-GEO, I don't count that one as it was essesntially an arcade cabinet sized down to fit into a shoe box).

Also, technically the Saturn is more powerful than the PSX but it is very difficult to program for.  This is also why it is very hard to emulate.  But when done right it could do some impressive 3-d.  Check out VF2.  That game was and is awesome.  The Saturn version of Daytona is better than the Dreamcast version too.

Look at any 2-d cross platform game and they are all better on the Saturn.  Rayman, In the Hunt, all the fighters (Capcom Vs. series, Darkstalkers, SF Alpha, etc.), Mega Man 8, Bomberman, etc.

I'll take a Saturn over the N64 any day.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 09/05/2019 at 01:10 PM by tbone3969