Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The most prolific box artist of the nes/snes era! now with daily guesses

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:09:42 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I wanted to bump this as I didnt see anything else on it. Im gonna pick up "Speedball 2" for Gameboy soon and I said to myself damn that reminds me of Klashball (in fact Klashball IS Speedball 1 apparently). The artwork looks similar and I know Greg Martin did the work for Klashball. Did he do the art for Speedball 2 as well?

-------------------------
Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:14:21 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

NES Klashball = Powerball on genesis. Greg Winters did both of those (not Greg Martin, who did sonic games and a lot of cartoon character based stuff).

To my knowledge neither of those two gents did speedball 2; I see some resemblance though.   I will ask Greg W., you may be right.    If not by Greg perhaps the other illustrator was given his work as reference on what they wanted it to look like, for consistency.   

I initially answered that this wasn't his work, but what has me questioning myself is the knuckles in the foreground (see blue circles).    I can see that there is prismacolor there used to draw some lines (literally colored pencil on top of paint) and Greg did do that on some pieces - like Little Samson - from that time period.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 12/27/2016 at 06:28 PM by Bronty

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:34:45 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Ah yes! Too many prolific NES/SNES/Genesis artists with the first name Greg and a simple last name. Thanks for the awesome info.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:47:25 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Ah yes! Too many prolific NES/SNES/Genesis artists with the first name Greg and a simple last name. Thanks for the awesome info.

Welcome.   One other similarity that I didn't want to mention until I could remember the title is the shoulder spikes.   If you look at those shoulder spikes, they are reminiscent of Winters' Doomsday Warrior snes art.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:05:36 AM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Bronty

Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Welcome.   One other similarity that I didn't want to mention until I could remember the title is the shoulder spikes.   If you look at those shoulder spikes, they are reminiscent of Winters' Doomsday Warrior snes art.

While you always seem to find the small details that I miss I would still say no based on the overall design.
The anatomy / character placement seems off for either Greg.
Largest head pictured looks 2 dimensional.
Background character is missing a deltoid and has hands bigger than his head.
I'm not impressed with this one. For it to be a work of either Greg it would have to be a huge rush job that no one cared about.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:20:59 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
On the balance I agree, and the two dimensional head was something I noticed as well. My guess is it's not Winters. But, I don't want to dismiss it completely without asking Greg as there are some similarities - it's possible. Powerball and klashball aren't really his best either IMO.

As for Greg Martin yeah there is zero chance it is his.

Edited: 12/28/2016 at 12:57 AM by Bronty

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:10:36 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada

Hi,

NES Klashball = Powerball on genesis. Greg Winters did both of those (not Greg Martin, who did sonic games and a lot of cartoon character based stuff).

To my knowledge neither of those two gents did speedball 2; I see some resemblance though.   I will ask Greg W., you may be right.    If not by Greg perhaps the other illustrator was given his work as reference on what they wanted it to look like, for consistency.   

I initially answered that this wasn't his work, but what has me questioning myself is the knuckles in the foreground (see blue circles).    I can see that there is prismacolor there used to draw some lines (literally colored pencil on top of paint) and Greg did do that on some pieces - like Little Samson - from that time period.

Powerball for the Genesis was great 2 player fun!

Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:15:53 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Originally posted by: maximus_clean

Showing your true colors there Curtis.
USA FOR THE WIN !

Nice framework. Hey what is that in the lower right corner? A prelim?

Edited: 12/28/2016 at 03:16 PM by Buyatari

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:23:30 PM
maximus_clean (147)
(Curtis S) < King Solomon >
Canada
Originally posted by: Buyatari

USA FOR THE WIN !

USA! USA!

Thanks, this one is a beast I think its 30lbs. Yes, prelim color test, it fit so nicely beside the Genesis box cover I had to frame it in there too. I really like how it turned out even though some would prefer just the art solo in the frame.

Looking for VGA NES, SNES and more, have cash and many VGA to trade!

“Well, there is actual loss of cardboard in a spot or two”

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:50:25 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Just found this prelim for SDI
Another collector here owns the final for this one I believe.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:10:42 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio

USA FOR THE WIN !

USA! USA!

Thanks, this one is a beast I think its 30lbs. Yes, prelim color test, it fit so nicely beside the Genesis box cover I had to frame it in there too. I really like how it turned out even though some would prefer just the art solo in the frame.

Looks good. With this one I prefer it the way you did it.
The prelim is a nice touch.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:53:51 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Hi,

Love it Curtis   when are ya gonna show the rest ?   

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:54:32 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Wonder if he will post any here.   I know he's not on the forum much.   Prelim looks good too

Edited: 12/29/2016 at 12:55 AM by Bronty

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:24:58 PM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio

Wonder if he will post any here.   I know he's not on the forum much.   Prelim looks good too

It must be the crotch accent lines.

Edited: 12/29/2016 at 10:25 PM by Buyatari

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:34:53 AM
Buyatari (14)
Ohio
Cleaning up and came across two other Greg Winters pieces.
Both Star Wars

This one is a final for a PC game.

This one is rough but it happens to be for one of the greatest Star Wars game covers of all time.

Edited: 03/02/2017 at 10:35 AM by Buyatari