NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Arcade1Up bringing a line of classic arcade cabinets for sale this fall

Jun 01 at 12:10:31 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Trj22487

I did end up finding the receipt balled up in my car after all so that was good.
From what I heard Walmart service desk can also reprint a receipt for a credit card.
Still haven't heard back from a rep but each time I turn it on to check it, the dead pixels continue to grow, it's like someone is drawing on it with an etch-a-sketch
That said I've seen plenty of people never have a problem with these machines at all. I put in an online ticket and I'm nearly the 50,000th ticket.

Yep, the Asteroids cab I bought last week has a cluster of hot pixels in the upper right corner. They don't really detract from the games so I don't really mind. What annoys me more is the condition of the bezel cover over the LCD screen. There is a ton of particle board dust and heavy scratches. It's like someone at the factory dropped the plexiglass bezel on the floor and then installed it without so much as a wipe. 

-------------------------
My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Jun 01 at 3:04:05 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
It's tough to photograph now that the board is bricked, but the gun shape in the upper left corner is all the dead pixels I have gradually attained so far after 1 week

Edited: 06/01/2019 at 03:05 PM by Trj22487

Jun 07 at 6:34:26 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
It has now been eight days since I put my ticket in and Arcade 1Up hasn't even responded.
So far every time I've called the phone line, nobody ever picks up

Jun 09 at 5:35:43 PM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
Most of those titles I can get on PS2 or the original Xbox for friction of the price .Yeah sure you won't get the whole arcade feel ,but this is not worth $300 in my opinion.But that's just me ..

Jun 09 at 7:18:40 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts

It has now been eight days since I put my ticket in and Arcade 1Up hasn't even responded.

I eventually got through to their customer support line and had a ticket made up to request a deck protector (apparently the free protector offer is still good for the Gen1 cabinets, though the company no longer advertises it) and a replacement bezel. I was given ticket #48,000 something. We're probably in a BeetleJuice scenario where the ticket counter is at #8!

In the meantime, I removed the bezel and gave it a good rinse. Here is what it looked like prior to removal:

getting a good photo of all the scuff marks was tough with my smartphone. Getting the bezel washed and the LCD screen hit with some canned air helped a lot. The scuffs and scratches are still there, but at least they aren't as in-your-face when filled with particle board dust.

The day after I grabbed my Asteroids cab but before I assembled it, I was luckly enough to get in an order of one of the 2nd batch of GRS spinners before they sold out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5WJ...

It was almost the cost of the cabinet itself, but it was definitely worth it! It's a huge improvement over the original "spinner".

So far, put down about ~$130 after tax on this thing and I'm not too dissapointed. The cabinet looks pretty nice as decoration in my game room and it at least lets me play a decent game of Tempest/Major Havoc. My next step is to think how I want to go about modding it for MAME.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Edited: 06/09/2019 at 07:20 PM by teh lurv

Jun 09 at 9:01:57 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Haha yeah you are probably right, regardless I figured I'd try to pick up a 2nd time in the meantime so I got the Final Fight. Pretty awesome! A friend and I played through the game and had a blast with the other three as well.
It's awesome that they put 1944 on there because it was fairly obscure before this, it feels jarringly modern compared to Ghosts n Goblins
But I think best of all was that they still left the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" attract screen on it, that's just awesome.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they do at E3, I wonder if prep for the show is taking from their customer support as well

http://www.thearcadegamefactory.c...

Has anyone ever ordered one of the light up marquees?

Edited: 06/09/2019 at 09:04 PM by Trj22487

Jun 09 at 9:24:38 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia

That sucks man, when I got one when they first came out my screen was crap on a SF2 but the customer service was good and US based. I ended up returning it to gamestop though they said it was gonna take 3-4 weeks to get a new screen. No thanks

Jun 10 at 10:56:03 AM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
One thing Arcade1Up has going for it is that the company knows what arcade cabinets people want to own. The latest cabinets announced at E3, due out later this year:

The Marvel cabinet will be priced at $299, TMNT priced at $350.

Edited: 06/10/2019 at 10:56 AM by teh lurv

Jun 10 at 11:02:06 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Now we're talking. Though squeezing 4 people around one of these seems iffy.

Jun 10 at 12:04:37 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
The Turtles one is awesome!

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Jun 10 at 12:09:18 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Hope this doesn't mean the NBA Jam cabinet is a no-go, but those two do look pretty awesome

Jun 10 at 12:12:52 PM
Pendragonx (5)
(Evan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Massachusetts
both of those will *definitey* sell... as long as the controls aren't garbage, I suppose .. Is Turtles the only 4-player cab they've released/shown?

Jun 10 at 12:20:09 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Would be tough but if it's setup like the original it is at least interesting that each set of controls is for a specific turtle

Jun 10 at 1:14:40 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Would be tough but if it's setup like the original it is at least interesting that each set of controls is for a specific turtle

Yeah.

And also I'm sure there will be a race to hack the other 4-player Konami games from that era onto the cabinet, if the boards aren't some kind of glop top.

Jun 10 at 1:19:52 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
They should make pedestal cabinets. That way issues like the Golden Tee trackball being too close to the screen or hunching 4 players around a teeny tiny Turtles cabinet wouldn't be as big of a deal. Then you could also put the display at eye level!

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Jun 10 at 2:26:33 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Does this devalue my TMNT / TIT 2 in one cabinet with real hardware? That was my holy grail cabinet and the only Arcade I wanted to own. Took me forever to find a TMNT restored that had been wired to accept a TIT... though I don't even use the TIT board anymore and just swapped it with a Sunset Riders.

Either way, yeah that thing is going to sell like hotcakes. Everyone loves that cab.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jun 10 at 3:00:11 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I saw the TMNT cab earlier this morning and thought it had to be fake for sure. Everyone was certain that they could never put that one together, but it will almost certainly be one of the better sellers. I'll grab one for sure.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jun 10 at 3:35:26 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Pendragonx

Is Turtles the only 4-player cab they've released/shown?

Yes.  And based on the images, it will also have the widest layout for the joysticks and controls.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Jun 11 at 8:46:34 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
These seemed to get buried under the Marvel & TMNT annoucement, but these cocktail cabinets were also shown
The Namco has 8 games and the Capcom 12. The Capcom one boasts the first time Street Fighter has ever been split screen. These will have Stereo sound.
Twitter also claims November for the Marvel/TMNT release.

Here is a 5 second video of TMNT in action, you get a good look at the size of the control panel
https://twitter.com/i/status/1138...

Edited: 06/11/2019 at 08:52 PM by Trj22487

Jun 11 at 9:05:13 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
This is also on the Arcade 1Up twitter feed which makes me wonder if NBA Jam still might legitimately be up the sleeve

Jun 11 at 9:18:43 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Oh dammit there is a TMNT one coming? Looks like I'll be giving them a second chance after the SFII fiasco.

Jun 11 at 10:05:40 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Here is a picture from the front, I had thought this is what the controls would be, Player 2 & 3 takes up half the screen, and then 1 & 4 are the equal length sticking out from the sides, so it is in fact twice as wide.

Jun 12 at 9:15:31 AM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts

This guy did a livestream through Arcade1Up's E3 booth and spent some time filming the TMNT cabinet in action. Some observations from him and what I noticed in the video:
  • The cabinet has stereo speakers located under the marquee.
  • The volume switch has been replaced with a slider
  • It looks to me like the LCD screen has decent viewing angles. The guy records video from the P1 spot and the screen wasn't washed out.
  • The control panel has a plexiglas overlay. I could hear a representative off camera claim the control panel artwork won't rub off like earlier cabinets.

Edited: 06/12/2019 at 09:16 AM by teh lurv

Jun 12 at 9:27:54 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: teh lurv

• It looks to me like the LCD screen has decent viewing angles. The guy records video from the P1 spot and the screen wasn't washed out.
  • The control panel has a plexiglas overlay. I could hear a representative off camera claim the control panel artwork won't rub off like earlier cabinets.
TMNT definitely seems like they are incorporating all of the negative feedback from the earlier designs and making it their new flagship model.

Given the width of the control panel, and the news of the overlay, if I can figure out where to put it, I'm definitely getting one of these now.

Jun 12 at 3:45:49 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Yoke controls! Oh shhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii............

Edited: 06/12/2019 at 04:10 PM by teh lurv